Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RD, Other Recruiting Gurus...Why all the waiting on

Started by FBREW000, February 19, 2014, 02:37:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FBREW000

Several of the recruits prior to offering.

We have several kids in state with BCS offers to TX, Bama, Louisville, etc prior to their own in state university offering.

Now before someone jumps on me here... I know some are not at the level we are looking for, but many of them are absolutely rated high and have the ability for BCS play, yet we seem to slow play way too often.

We are risking offending in state admns, and coaches here. 

C.J. O'Grady
Darveon Brown, I know he is a lower tiered by ratings, kid can play!
LaMichael Pettiway...
Gragg has a 2012 offer from Arkansas  right?

I just find it amazing that we do not jump on that talent quickly in a good year here in Arkansas!  Whats the holdup?

all four of those and several more should be BCS capable and ready to go!

YouCrawl_IQuall

Unless you're a once in a generation 5 star then it seems like they prefer to meet the kids before offering

redeye

Gragg's had an offer for over a year now, so I don't understand why you mentioned him?  I don't know about the others, but I think it's wrong to assume we should have offered, simply because other big schools have offered or simply because they're rated high.  Our coaches may be dropping the ball, especially with all the turnover we've had, but there are many good reasons why you don't offer a highly rated player.  After all, the goal is to put the best team on the field; not the team with the highest rated players out of high school.

Not sure why a high school coach would be angry that we haven't offered?

HometownHawg

Quote from: redeye on February 19, 2014, 03:05:09 pm
I would think a high school coach would be more angry if we offered then ultimately didn't accept the players committment

secneahog

I think it would mean more for a recruit to meet the staff and get evaluated..then offered. Instead of just getting a offer out of no where.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: FBREW000 on February 19, 2014, 02:37:37 pm

We have several kids in state with BCS offers to TX, Bama, Louisville, etc prior to their own in state university offering.

Now before someone jumps on me here... I know some are not at the level we are looking for, but many of them are absolutely rated high and have the ability for BCS play, yet we seem to slow play way too often.

C.J. O'Grady
LaMichael Pettiway...

I just find it amazing that we do not jump on that talent quickly in a good year here in Arkansas!  Whats the holdup?

Simple answer: If you're really interested in the appropriate answer to your concerns I'd suggest you contact CBB and staff directly. I suspect that even as well connected as RD is he doesn't have the full answers to your question(s). I.E. go directly to the source that really knows the "true scoop" rather than a forum where all the rest of us can only guess/opine.

FBREW000

Quote from: redeye on February 19, 2014, 03:05:09 pm
Gragg's had an offer for over a year now, so I don't understand why you mentioned him?  I don't know about the others, but I think it's wrong to assume we should have offered, simply because other big schools have offered or simply because they're rated high.  Our coaches may be dropping the ball, especially with all the turnover we've had, but there are many good reasons why you don't offer a highly rated player.  After all, the goal is to put the best team on the field; not the team with the highest rated players out of high school.

on Gragg, re-read my post... 2012...

We have around 12-15 kids this year who are BCS capable, a few with redshirts, but we need the depth, and the slow playing these in state recruits is causing some anger amongst some coaches in state.  I know this for a fact.

Bret seems to be doing things His way.  I get it, he is the HC, but... One caveat here.  If they are in state recruits, capable of what is considered D1/BCS level play.  Bring them on! 

Bama has Legacy players.  Auburn does as well, LSU too.  We are Meh!  with this!

it is as if the product on the field has been superior to what our in state recruits can bring.  Not so much imho!

HometownHawg

Quote from: FBREW000 on February 19, 2014, 03:41:35 pm

We have around 12-15 kids this year who are BCS capable, a few with redshirts, but we need the depth, and the slow playing these in state recruits is causing some anger amongst some coaches in state.  I know this for a fact.

Bret seems to be doing things His way.  I get it, he is the HC, but... One caveat here.  If they are in state recruits, capable of what is considered D1/BCS level play.  Bring them on! 

Bama has Legacy players.  Auburn does as well, LSU too.  We are Meh!  with this!

it is as if the product on the field has been superior to what our in state recruits can bring.  Not so much imho!
Those 12-15 don't fit all our needs. It would be dumb to offer then have to accept his commit if he doesn't fit the plan that the staff has

The Recruiting Guy

C.J. O'Grady
LaMichael Pettiway...

Ask yourself this question. Who knows more about the kids in-state kids than Arkansas? They do their research by talking to their coaches, opposing coaches and other sources.

This is not the first staff to take their time in offering. Once you offer an in-state prospect you can't back off. Other schools do the same in their home states.

You can throw out offers to the out-of-state kids and not worry about the backlash should you not accept their commitment. THere is no slowing playing in-state guys. You can't do that

ricepig

What coaches are mad, who are legacies, besides O'Grady?

secneahog

Coaches need to chill. They will offer when the time is right. 
Offering early hasn't helped with gragg, hill or Dean so far.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

MP24

Pine Bluff tight end Will Gragg said he calls and talks to Arkansas Coach Bret Bielema and tight ends coach Barry Lunney Jr. about three to four times a week. He added an offer from Florida State today. He received one from Texas on Saturday and now has a total of 12. The Hogs offered first.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/feb/16/sun/
January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

redeye

1.  I'm not sure we have 12-15 instate kids with BCS level talent.  I do believe this is a good instate crop, although we say that most every year, but 12-15 seems like a lot.

2.  Even if you're right, who goes out and signs all the BCS level talent in the state?  That may happen in Idaho, but BCS schools typically look for the best talent, rather then making sure they get all the low-hanging cherries.

3.  You're right that Bielema is the head coach and so he gets to do things his way, but you don't seem like you're actually comfortable admitting this.  Why do you think you know better then Bielema?

4.  Yes, you admitted that Gragg was offered in 2012.  So how does he fit into the discussion?  Why mention him at all?

5.   I don't know what you mean by "legacy players".  Like Darren McFadden?  I'm missing your point here.

sickboy

I myself think it's a respectful trait to be non-impulsive, to do your homework and make a sound decision before reacting. 9 times out of 10 the person who does that is going to be more successful in the long run than the man who makes decisions based on emotion.

That's just me. I got no problem with evaluating kids before you offer them...even if that means meeting them in person first. I don't make job offers to employees I've never met before...why should they?

FBREW000

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 19, 2014, 03:47:33 pm
Ask yourself this question. Who knows more about the kids in-state kids than Arkansas? They do their research by talking to their coaches, opposing coaches and other sources.

This is not the first staff to take their time in offering. Once you offer an in-state prospect you can't back off. Other schools do the same in their home states.

You can throw out offers to the out-of-state kids and not worry about the backlash should you not accept their commitment. THere is no slowing playing in-state guys. You can't do that

Thanks RD!  Just hearing some rumblings from a few coaches.  I remember the in state haul from Petrino a few years back and how it aided in our development and play for the next two years.  Hoping we take advantage fully of this nice group of recruits.. TY again!

LA Football fan

It could possibly be that each of those players you listed have some flaws in their game that they need to clean up on.  Although each is talented, and they have received offers, we don't know if they are commitable offers or not.  Brown is a tweener with his size and in Beliema's offense, his wr's are expected to block downfield quite a bit.  Brown may not fit just for that reason. 

Again, how well does Pettway block downfield?  Does he make an effort or just dog it?  I don't know and if we haven't been watching tape of their games we wouldn't know the answer to that question.  How are their grades??   Are they on track or borderline? 

Like what was mentioned above, you have to make sure when you offer an instate athlete that you are going to stick with it.  You absolutely cannot offer early like we did some out of state commits this year, and then drop them late in the year for better options.  These players seem to be borderline in talent (SEC level) especially at the wr position.

Deep Shoat

I haven't read the thread, so SIAP.

The reason you don't give automatic offers to Arkansas kids is because once you offer, you are committed to take them.  That isn't true out of state, but imagine the poopstorm that takes place if CBB pulls an offer to an instate recruit.

You evaluate them personally before you offer because your job rides on these kids.
All Gas, No Brakes!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: FBREW000 on February 19, 2014, 04:49:51 pm
  Thanks RD!  Just hearing some rumblings from a few coaches.  I remember the in state haul from Petrino a few years back and how it aided in our development and play for the next two years.  Hoping we take advantage fully of this nice group of recruits.. TY again!

Do you know if any of these 12-15 players not offered yet made it or will make it to summer camp under CBB regime to evaluate their skill level? And how sure are these upset coaches that they have D-1 players on there team?

How about a list of these 12-15 players that you think should be offered for the forum. Yes? No?  However the thought of slow playing is  really an assumption I think. Nothing personal, but it comes across that way...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

FBREW000

Quote from: HawgnCorona on February 19, 2014, 06:01:23 pm
Do you know if any of these 12-15 players not offered yet made it or will make it to summer camp under CBB regime to evaluate their skill level? And how sure are these upset coaches that they have D-1 players on there team?

How about a list of these 12-15 players that you think should be offered for the forum. Yes? No?  However the thought of slow playing is  really an assumption I think. Nothing personal, but it comes across that way...

yeah, I assume is Ole Miss, Bama, and Louisville/TX has offered a prospect prior to the University in the same state as the recruit, that we are Perhaps?  Maybe? Possibly? slow playing the recruit.  Especially if one is within 12 min of the university and is a TE.

We missed on several TE's this year, if I am correct.  Although Kraus should be a welcomed addition in time.

RD was great in his response.  What I just wrote to you was my thought process in the OP!  I think a bit better at this time, the idea of offering and pulling that offer in state would be killer, and in a downer big time.

WPS!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: FBREW000 on February 19, 2014, 06:22:47 pm
yeah, I assume is Ole Miss, Bama, and Louisville/TX has offered a prospect prior to the University in the same state as the recruit, that we are Perhaps?  Maybe? Possibly? slow playing the recruit.  Especially if one is within 12 min of the university and is a TE.

We missed on several TE's this year, if I am correct.  Although Kraus should be a welcomed addition in time.

RD was great in his response.  What I just wrote to you was my thought process in the OP!  I think a bit better at this time, the idea of offering and pulling that offer in state would be killer, and in a downer big time.

WPS!

I understand that...There have comments made in other thread that have suggested the same thing and Im curious as to why some might feel that way. Thanks for the reply I appreciate that...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

redeye

Last year Jarvis Cooper and DeAndre Murray were 2 instate players who were highly rated early.  We never offered either and I don't think any other BCS school did, either.  I believe they both fell in the 247 ratings, probably after it was clear that no BCS schools were going to offer.

It's different this year, because some of the players do have big offers already, but then it's also still early in the year.  But just because other BCS schools have offered, it doesn't mean we should, too.  Maybe we haven't offered because they told coaches Arkansas doesn't stand a chance at signing them.  Or, maybe our coaches don't believe they fit well in our system, either on or off the field, despite that they're highly rated.  Or, maybe our coaches have just been too busy and haven't had time, yet.  All most of us know is that it's still early and that's enough for me not to worry.

The one thing that does bother me some is that some schools always do a great job of offering early and I do think that helps some.  For years, it seemed like Nebraska, Tennessee, and then Oregon, all extended lot's of early offers.  I'm sure it paid off for some, because nowadays it seems like most SEC schools have joined them.  We seem to be doing better as well, but I'd like to see more.

ricepig

Quote from: redeye on February 19, 2014, 06:50:32 pm
Last year Jarvis Cooper and DeAndre Murray were 2 instate players who were highly rated early.  We never offered either and I don't think any other BCS school did, either.  I believe they both fell in the 247 ratings, probably after it was clear that no BCS schools were going to offer.

It's different this year, because some of the players do have big offers already, but then it's also still early in the year.  But just because other BCS schools have offered, it doesn't mean we should, too.  Maybe we haven't offered because they told coaches Arkansas doesn't stand a chance at signing them.  Or, maybe our coaches don't believe they fit well in our system, either on or off the field, despite that they're highly rated.  Or, maybe our coaches have just been too busy and haven't had time, yet.  All most of us know is that it's still early and that's enough for me not to worry.

The one thing that does bother me some is that some schools always do a great job of offering early and I do think that helps some.  For years, it seemed like Nebraska, Tennessee, and then Oregon, all extended lot's of early offers.  I'm sure it paid off for some, because nowadays it seems like most SEC schools have joined them.  We seem to be doing better as well, but I'd like to see more.

Murray never qualified, he went FCS I believe, and Cooper didn't have a position besides FB. We've given out 81 offers, but I noticed one RB was listed twice from two different high schools, still several offers out there.

Piggfoot

February 19, 2014, 10:30:22 pm #22 Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:57:59 pm by qdoc
No one knows the relationship being established between Arkansas' Coaching staff and these Arkansas recruits and no one knows if all of these kids have their ducks in a row. Presumably Marshal received a late offer because of grades. Maybe the staff is holding off on some as an encouragement to the kids to maintain or improve their grades. Does it really matter when the official offer comes as long as the coaches maintain a relationship.
Another thought is do everyone of these Arkansas fit our recruiting needs?
At times it appeared Nutt's and Petrino's recruiting was based solely on a recruit being a good athlete and not how well he fit our needs.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

VT HOG

I keep hearing the argument that they want to meet them before in person or evaluate them before offering. Why are the coaches not going to their high schools to meet them and evaluating their game tapes?

ricepig

Quote from: VT HOG on February 19, 2014, 11:02:47 pm
I keep hearing the argument that they want to meet them before in person or evaluate them before offering. Why are the coaches not going to their high schools to meet them and evaluating their game tapes?

They are, and have. Don't you ever read RD's tidbits on where our coaches are recruiting? As it's been said many times on here, they don't dish out a lot of in-state offers until they are 100% ready on all aspects, you can't pull an in-state offer like you can an out of state one.

ldfergu

Quote from: ricepig on February 19, 2014, 11:11:30 pm
They are, and have. Don't you ever read RD's tidbits on where our coaches are recruiting? As it's been said many times on here, they don't dish out a lot of in-state offers until they are 100% ready on all aspects, you can't pull an in-state offer like you can an out of state one.

Very true

hawgsmellgud

first of all its 10-12. secondly, well I didn't read what you wrote so there is no secondly.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Tim Harris

Like Richard said you have to be very selective on in state kids.  Look at Pettway for example.  Most everyone said he was a huge Bama fan and would go there.  Well they "offered" but he didn't commit?  Why is that?  If that is you dream school wouldn't you commit on the spot.  Most likely they won't allow him to do yet so really his offer doesn't mean much.  We don't have that same luxury when dealing with in state kids.

This part is just personal opinion on in state recruiting in general.  I always try to look at it and say would I be upset if this kid was from a different state and we hadn't offered him?  If the answer is no then I don't worry about it.  Even then most of the time being "late" to offer doesn't hurt us.  People were freaking out when Bama offered Ty Storey before we did.  Well we did offer and not long after that he was on our commit list.

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

FANONTHEHILL

They need to offer O'Grady ASAP.  A friend in Austin says Texas will offer him before next week.  Fay High is 2 minutes from campus.  They need to stop dragging their feet.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bobcat ball

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 20, 2014, 10:39:24 am
They need to offer O'Grady ASAP.  A friend in Austin says Texas will offer him before next week.  Fay High is 2 minutes from campus.  They need to stop dragging their feet.

Read RD's Thursday updates. He will get his offer and probably get this weekend when he visits.
WOO PIG

bobcat ball

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 20, 2014, 08:01:00 am
Like Richard said you have to be very selective on in state kids.  Look at Pettway for example.  Most everyone said he was a huge Bama fan and would go there.  Well they "offered" but he didn't commit?  Why is that?  If that is you dream school wouldn't you commit on the spot.  Most likely they won't allow him to do yet so really his offer doesn't mean much.  We don't have that same luxury when dealing with in state kids.

That's exactly right. Someone said it in another thread that once we offer an instate kid that's it we almost have to take their commitment if they give it.

BB cant afford to take instate kids offers away to make room for out of state kids. The coaches have to do their do diligence before offering or we could be stuck with some kids that would never help.
WOO PIG

ricepig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 20, 2014, 10:39:24 am

Wasn't he quoted as saying they wanted him to come down to get his offer? RD has some great quotes from the kid on his recruitment and our evaluation. Like many, I expect he will get an offer this weekend.

pillowhog

C.J. O'Grady
LaMichael Pettiway...

A kid like Pettway needs a lot more evaluating IMO.  Ive talked to people who have coached him who dont think he can play in the SEC.  Saban getting lazy in his recruiting....examples Tennpenny and Frazier

onebadrubi

In selling you try to find a way to differentiate yourself.  You don't just throw quotes out in a situation were you can't try to close.  What good does offering a guy when he's at home on his couch and you are in your office.  Much more to be gained and deeper relationship built when in person , whether that's on a visit, camp, or in home visit.

ifghog

Quote from: ricepig on February 19, 2014, 11:11:30 pm
This is it in a nutshell.

Vantage 8 dude

My question to those who fret endlessly about the Hogs not necessarily being the first to offer and/or waiting for a time to offer and in-state player: How often do such kids reject or accept such offers from the U of A? Does it really matter all that much in the end?

Personally I don't know the answer to either questions. My instincts tell me that there's no particularly good answer. I.E. it depends on the individual recruit's situation, perhaps in some instances the existing talent at a position, the educational experience/degree the player is seeking, etc. In other words, I'm not sure a case can or can't be made as to whether or not making an early (or even the first) offer necessarily matters.

And for those who worry that if a kid accepts another school's offer he might not change his mind if and when a U of A scholarship is produced we know the young man always has the right to do so. They're called "flips" and we've all witnessed in the past such have worked both for and against us. Again, it depends on the individual's circumstances.

whosiskid

There is a legacy player who I believe will receive an offer. If he doesn't I think he might walk on: Luc Bequette, son of Chris Bequette and World Champion Ice Skater Debi Thomas. He played the past two years in Champaign-Urbana but apparently has a one-team list of schools he wants to play for. He may not be from Arkansas, but he seems to have a very strong send of what the Bequettes have done at the university. I've tried to find out more about him. Otis Kirk asked Chris about Luc and he didn't have great things to say about him but Otis added that is just how Chris is. He probably said his nephew Jake had a so-so career at Arkansas. He is a defensive lineman (of course). I've seen him listed at 6'3, 250, with good speed and agility. But on his Hudl highlight reel he is listed as 6'2, 285. But man, he looks quick and fast. In the junior year highlights he is a long snapper and he makes numerous plays, snapping the ball, and then sprinting down the field to menace the return man. I don't know that I've ever seen a guy have so many plays from that position.

He is hard to evaluate because you can't make him out until he makes a play, but it looks like he is quick and hard to block and does a great job of pursuit. Seems to be close by when a lot of good plays take place. Here is the reel:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1874653/highlights/28821374

He will be attending LR Catholic High this year.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: whosiskid on February 20, 2014, 06:26:00 pm
There is a legacy player who I believe will receive an offer. If he doesn't I think he might walk on: Luc Bequette, son of Chris Bequette and World Champion Ice Skater Debi Thomas. He played the past two years in Champaign-Urbana but apparently has a one-team list of schools he wants to play for. He may not be from Arkansas, but he seems to have a very strong send of what the Bequettes have done at the university. I've tried to find out more about him. Otis Kirk asked Chris about Luc and he didn't have great things to say about him but Otis added that is just how Chris is. He probably said his nephew Jake had a so-so career at Arkansas. He is a defensive lineman (of course). I've seen him listed at 6'3, 250, with good speed and agility. But on his Hudl highlight reel he is listed as 6'2, 285. But man, he looks quick and fast. In the junior year highlights he is a long snapper and he makes numerous plays, snapping the ball, and then sprinting down the field to menace the return man. I don't know that I've ever seen a guy have so many plays from that position.

He is hard to evaluate because you can't make him out until he makes a play, but it looks like he is quick and hard to block and does a great job of pursuit. Seems to be close by when a lot of good plays take place. Here is the reel:

Under the circumstances-family legacy, position he's playing, etc.-I would strongly suspect that if the young man shows D1 potential and talent he'll very likely land an offer from the Hill.

aar0n

It's the difference in an "empty" offer and one that actually means something that these coaches are going for.  Their MO is that anybody can pick up the phone and offer you a scholarship to their school, but we are going to evaluate you and do it in person.  That way it does a few things differently, such as learning the personality of the recruit, showing the recruit that they are wanted AFTER they've been evaluated so they're not just "numbers", and gives the impression to the recruit that the staff here is really trying to build something special.

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 19, 2014, 03:47:33 pm

I believe this can be applied to so many areas other than just playing ability. Attitude, work ethic, grades, friends, etc. There is a vast network within the state when it comes to football. Coaches talk to coaches. Fans talk to coaches. There is a lot to be found out, before saying "wanna come play football at the UofA?" What if there was a kid who was known to smoke a lot of pot? Would the UA coaches want to take a chance on him? What if we did, he signed in Feb. then got busted with some weed in his car? Wasted scholarship and embarrassment for the school. What if a kid was known to have some "questionable" friends that was about one foolish act away from jail? Would anyone expect the UA coaches to overlook that? What if there was a kid whose only passing grade was study hall? Would it be smart to offer knowing there was a good chance the kid would not be eligible to play? There is so much more to evaluating the kids than just what they can do on the field. I think CBB is doing a great job and will be getting better each year.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

greghog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 19, 2014, 03:40:13 pm
Simple answer: If you're really interested in the appropriate answer to your concerns I'd suggest you contact CBB and staff directly. I suspect that even as well connected as RD is he doesn't have the full answers to your question(s). I.E. go directly to the source that really knows the "true scoop" rather than a forum where all the rest of us can only guess/opine.

I hope your being a smart butt.  Surely you don't think the coaches are going to talk to a average fan about their recruiting choices.  Asking this question to reporters who cover recruiting is logical.  They may not know the answer completely, but they probably have a good idea based on their understanding of the overall recruiting strategy, etc. 

greghog

Quote from: whosiskid on February 20, 2014, 06:26:00 pm

Wow, I had forgotten Luc was that old.  I was friends with Chris in law school and we stayed in touch for a few years afterward, but I haven't talked to him in years.

Vantage 8 dude

February 22, 2014, 11:01:50 am #45 Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:11:17 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: greghog on February 22, 2014, 10:48:48 am
I hope your being a smart butt.  Surely you don't think the coaches are going to talk to a average fan about their recruiting choices.  Asking this question to reporters who cover recruiting is logical.  They may not know the answer completely, but they probably have a good idea based on their understanding of the overall recruiting strategy, etc.
While I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "smart butt" I was hoping my sarcasm/irony was evident. Of course coaches aren't going to talk directly with fans concerning their targets/intended offers. Whatever information comes out concerning any and all of those will be through sources such as RD.

My point was that so often fans want to offer up opinions (fine 'cause they have that right) based on THEIR evaluation/hopes/prejudges about recruits when it should be left totally up to the people who not only have the expertise, but whose livelihoods rest on the offers. The fans want to guess, "read between the lines", or whatever. Let the coaches do their jobs, let them make an offer if and when they feel comfortable/confident enough to do so. Quit fretting about WHEN a kid is offered 'cause I suspect more often than not it's ultimately not going to matter if you were or weren't the first guy to ask.

greghog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 22, 2014, 11:01:50 am
While I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "butt hurt" I was hoping my sarcasm/irony was evident. Of course coaches aren't going to talk directly with fans concerning their targets/intended offers. Whatever information comes out concerning any and all of those will be through sources such as RD.

My point was that so often fans want to offer up opinions (fine 'cause they have that right) based on THEIR evaluation/hopes/prejudges about recruits when it should be left totally up to the people who not only have the expertise, but whose livelihoods rest on the offers. The fans want to guess, "read between the lines", or whatever. Let the coaches do their jobs, let them make an offer if and when they feel comfortable/confident enough to do so. Quit fretting about WHEN a kid is offered 'cause I suspect more often than not it's ultimately not going to matter if you were or weren't the first guy to ask.

I thought you might have been being sarcastic (that would have been a better choice of words than "smart butt" and I didn't say "butt hurt"), but I wasn't sure.

I agree that fans get hung up on an opinion of a player and many times think they know more than the coaches.  However, a question about the recruiting philosophy (wait to offer until after a visit for example) is a legit question. 

FBREW000

ohhhh Geeeze,

I had a thought, one I wanted to run by RD for verification after speaking to some coaches who are friends of mine about AR Recruiting.

It is a message board, right?  The answers some of you give, for pete's sake, are absolutely ridiculous.  "let the coaches do their jobs", "The coaches know more than you", "ask the coaches directly"
Really?  if the only people who ask a question or post on this board were the most astute football aficionados only, this would be one DEAD place to visit. 

It is where we come to ask, wonder aloud, complain, fret, seek, laugh, remark, and be a fanatic period. 

I noticed several of our players rated higher than most classes in the past, getting high division 1 interest and offers prior to our home university doing so.  Not a bad things to ask of someone in the kNow.   And it was to RD and other recruiting Guru's... Nice to know there are so many that fit that exact description.  ROTFL!  WPS

Dumb ole famrboy

In state recruits bring more than athletic ability to the football program. They strengthen the Razorback brand throughout the state. The communities from which in state players come have an additional vested interest because one of their own plays for the team. In my opinion signing on average 5 or 6 in-state recruits a year isn't sufficient to maintain these community bonds throughout the state. In years when your class is short (such as the 2014 class) it is not a bad idea to bite the bullet, take a chance and make an offer to a Jarvis Cooper. Especially since no kid was signed from that area of the state (Jonesboro, West Memphis, Blytheville, Truman, Marianna, Helena, Walnut Ridge, Forest City, ect.).

SemperFi

It wasn't that long ago that RD reported that Coach B had a discussion with KJ Hill about not offering him until they have had an opportunity to evaluate him despite Auburn having already offered. I respect that approach. Just because one school offers doesn't mean that we should be compelled to do the same.

There are a multitude of issues for not offering a kid that may be totally unknown to us such as grades, character flaws or maybe a kid just doesn't fit the system. I think that we would all agree that Arkansas does in fact produce some outstanding football players that may go on to the NFL, but they're not always at the bigger schools and I appreciate the fact that this coaching staff is turning over every rock to find that talent and then performing their own evaluation. I think that the 2015 class will be loaded with Arkansas kids, we and those upset HS Coaches just need to be patient.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan