Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So you think Arkansas needs to recruit Texas.

Started by Piggfoot, February 16, 2014, 09:15:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pathogen

Quote from: qdoc on February 16, 2014, 09:15:43 pm
It may be more difficult than some think.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--college-football-camp-recruiting-grows-into-border-war-042422320.html

Nah.  It's easy.  We're Arkansas, a bordering state, so we have every reason to beat out the 178 other schools that recruit in Texas.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: qdoc on February 16, 2014, 09:15:43 pm
It may be more difficult than some think.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--college-football-camp-recruiting-grows-into-border-war-042422320.html

If it were easy every team would be successful recruiting Texas.  The University of Arkansas has a lot to offer recruits both on and off the field and during and after their time playing for the Hogs.

The coaches just have to find approximately 25 players each year who want what we offer regardless of whether they are from Arkansas, Texas, Florida, Hawaii, Colorado, Minnesota, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, or any other state.     

hoglady

Texas is no harder to recruit than any other state. Good players will have plenty of offers from top schools coast to coast.
The reason to recruit Texas is they produce the most D1 talent every year.
You recruit where the talent is.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: hoglady on February 16, 2014, 10:35:06 pm

Texas is no harder to recruit than any other state. Good players will have plenty of offers from top schools coast to coast.
The reason to recruit Texas is they produce the most D1 talent every year.
You recruit where the talent is.

Agree with above.  Texas is close, & has a ton of good players.... good players will be recruited heavily wherever they are.  We have always recruited Texas, just need to sign about 4-6 good ones each year from there. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

redeye

I've mentioned that article a few times around here.  Don't think that should have any influence on Arkansas recruiting Texas, though.

Hoggish1

Remote camps are fine, but you want the kids to be on THE CAMPUS.  That's why Texas does everything in Austin.  There is a huge advantage to having kids see what you've got.  You can't take your weight room to McMurray College.

goodguytex

Arkansas can start in NE Texas where the Hogs are known and work our way down. Largest contingent of razorback fans outside Arkansas live in metroplex. Texarkana, new boston, Atlanta, Queen City, Tyler, Marshall, that whole area... They know about the Hogs. Know plenty.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Piggfoot

I certainly think the Hogs need to be in Texas but it would be more favorable if we played more in Dallas. A home and home schedule with TCU and SMU would help more than with Tech. I can't tell how our playing no name teams has benefited our team growth. For sure more home games  benefits some fans but does it benefit the program? I don't think so and as we have seen if we are beaten by a no name it is disaster. Losing to TCU or SMU would be bad but not nearly as bad as losing to ULM

gmarv

nothing at all wrong with recruiting texas just as theres nothing wrong with recruiting fla. ga. miss la. etc. etc. etc.

ricepig

Quote from: qdoc on February 17, 2014, 01:33:29 pm
I certainly think the Hogs need to be in Texas but it would be more favorable if we played more in Dallas. A home and home schedule with TCU and SMU would help more than with Tech. I can't tell how our playing no name teams has benefited our team growth. For sure more home games  benefits some fans but does it benefit the program? I don't think so and as we have seen if we are beaten by a no name it is disaster. Losing to TCU or SMU would be bad but not nearly as bad as losing to ULM

You do know we have a home and home scheduled with TCU?

redleg

Of course they should recruit Texas! Are you freakin joking?! Every single Razorback football team that has been any good has had two things in common, concerning players, ...1. An abundance of good players from Arkansas,  and 2. Plenty of guys from Texas that contribute.
Signing players from Florida is great, and the Hogs should always try to get guys from there if they can. But Texas has always been a hotbed of Razorback signees.
The worst thing that could have happen for Arkansas football was Texas A&M joining the SEC. The Aggies can now sign in-state guys that they didn't use to get, just because they are in the SEC.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

PonderinHog

Piggfoot

Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2014, 05:30:59 pm
You do know we have a home and home scheduled with TCU?
I didn't know that but I'm glad. Now add SMU with alternate years of home and home and that will give us two games there per year.

Vantage 8 dude

My two pennies is we need to recruit wherever the best talent lies that fits with the needs of our program. Be that Texas, Florida, Cali., or Denmark.

ricepig

Quote from: qdoc on February 17, 2014, 06:04:05 pm
I didn't know that but I'm glad. Now add SMU with alternate years of home and home and that will give us two games there per year.

Nah, we've got Dallas for aTm the next 10 years. We'll do a home and home with Michigan after TCU, after that I think we'll see what happens on a 9 game league schedule does, or doesn't do.

redeye

Quote from: redleg on February 17, 2014, 05:47:38 pm
Of course they should recruit Texas! Are you freakin joking?! Every single Razorback football team that has been any good has had two things in common, concerning players, ...1. An abundance of good players from Arkansas,  and 2. Plenty of guys from Texas that contribute.
Signing players from Florida is great, and the Hogs should always try to get guys from there if they can. But Texas has always been a hotbed of Razorback signees.
The best thing that could have happen for Arkansas football was Texas A&M joining the SEC. The Aggies can now sign in-state guys that they didn't use to get, just because they are in the SEC.

FIFY

Now's the time for Arkansas to start getting players from Texas that haven't been seen since SWC days.

Playing 2 games in Dallas would help recruiting in Dallas, but that's just overkill.  If we're going to play another game elsewhere, why not make it in South Florida?  Don't think we need to do either, though.

Playing SMU or TCU probably would help recruiting in Dallas more, but I'm more excited to play Texas Tech.

Piggfoot

Quote from: redeye on February 17, 2014, 07:11:53 pm
FIFY

Now's the time for Arkansas to start getting players from Texas that haven't been seen since SWC days.

Playing 2 games in Dallas would help recruiting in Dallas, but that's just overkill.  If we're going to play another game elsewhere, why not make it in South Florida?  Don't think we need to do either, though.

Playing SMU or TCU probably would help recruiting in Dallas more, but I'm more excited to play Texas Tech.
Tech is ten hours from Fayetteville in the middle of nowhere. The purpose of playing in Dallas/FW is the metropolitan area is full of D1 athletes. Houston is another area. These are concentrated areas where coaches can make contacts and establish relationships with coaches and athletes in the shortest time available. There is just so much area a person can cover. If a kid elsewhere shows interest then by all means evaluate and contact. There is not enough time to blindly cover everywhere. Dallas and Houston are the most reasonable area for Fayetteville.

Raiderman

Quote from: qdoc on February 17, 2014, 08:19:51 pm
Tech is ten hours from Fayetteville in the middle of nowhere. The purpose of playing in Dallas/FW is the metropolitan area is full of D1 athletes. Houston is another area. These are concentrated areas where coaches can make contacts and establish relationships with coaches and athletes in the shortest time available. There is just so much area a person can cover. If a kid elsewhere shows interest then by all means evaluate and contact. There is not enough time to blindly cover everywhere. Dallas and Houston are the most reasonable area for Fayetteville.

The opponent matters more than the location. Play SMU and you'll draw crap ratings in Texas because nobody will care...and few, if any, recruits can afford to attend the actual game. Tech vs Arkansas will draw hundreds of thousands and possibly millions more tv sets...and even poor families have tv sets.

snoblind

Quote from: goodguytex on February 17, 2014, 08:40:00 am
Arkansas can start in NE Texas where the Hogs are known and work our way down. Largest contingent of razorback fans outside Arkansas live in metroplex. Texarkana, new boston, Atlanta, Queen City, Tyler, Marshall, that whole area... They know about the Hogs. Know plenty.

One of the best programs in the state is in Lakeway at Lake Travis.  One of the guidance counselors is a graduate of Arkansas.  No athletes, but there were 4 or 5 kids who went to the hill this past fall and her influence had a lot to do with it.

redeye

Quote from: qdoc on February 17, 2014, 08:19:51 pm

Yea, that's why I said playing SMU or TCU would probably help recruiting in Dallas more.  However, I'm not so sure that Raiderman isn't right about playing a better opponent, although I don't see that much difference between TT and TCU.  If it were A&M, then I'd probably agree with him.  And we do have recruits at the game in Dallas, so that probably helps, too.

I think playing any games in Dallas will help, even if it's a BCS team outside of Texas, like Alabama and LSU have both recently done.  But I don't believe these games help us recruit in Texas like conference games against conference foes do and that's why it's great that A&M is now in the SEC.  I say that because I'm sure conference games in Texas draw a lot more press then non-conference games do and I'm quite certain that Arkansas received a lot more press in Texas during our SWC days due to this.

goodguytex

Quote from: snoblind on February 17, 2014, 08:57:59 pm
One of the best programs in the state is in Lakeway at Lake Travis.  One of the guidance counselors is a graduate of Arkansas.  No athletes, but there were 4 or 5 kids who went to the hill this past fall and her influence had a lot to do with it.
Does her first name begin with a J??

Tony Sloprano

Quote from: Raiderman on February 17, 2014, 08:32:44 pm
The opponent matters more than the location. Play SMU and you'll draw crap ratings in Texas because nobody will care...and few, if any, recruits can afford to attend the actual game. Tech vs Arkansas will draw hundreds of thousands and possibly millions more tv sets...and even poor families have tv sets.

No one in Texas cares about Texas Tech. It's not as if Tech is some perennial Top 20 program that has a huge following in Texas. If we played Texas then yeah, millions would watch.

Tech ?? Will be counted by the thousands.

MuskogeeHogFan

Just my opinion, but I think that recruiting Texas effectively is important to our program. Texas has a lot of good athletes and being adjacent to our state it only makes sense that we make some inroads into that area.

Personally, I think that for a successful future the ideal recruiting class (based solely on recruiting areas and not on needs by position) might look something like this:

Arkansas-             5
Texas-                 5
Louisiana-             3
Oklahoma-            2
TN, MS, AL, GA-    4
Florida-                3
Other States-       3
Total-                 25

Now obviously those numbers are going to fluctuate year to year based upon where the players are that we actually recruit based on projected needs, but overall and on average, I think those are the states that should be primarily targeted.
Go Hogs Go!

Chief Mac

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 18, 2014, 05:26:00 am
Just my opinion, but I think that recruiting Texas effectively is important to our program. Texas has a lot of good athletes and being adjacent to our state it only makes sense that we make some inroads into that area.

Personally, I think that for a successful future the ideal recruiting class (based solely on recruiting areas and not on needs by position) might look something like this:

Arkansas-             5
Texas-                 5
Louisiana-             3
Oklahoma-            2
TN, MS, AL, GA-    4
Other States-       3

Now obviously those numbers are going to fluctuate year to year based upon where the players are that we actually recruit based on projected needs, but overall and on average, I think those are the states that should be primarily targeted.

I think that is a very good breakout of how, on average, our classes should look like.  If we can get 5 from each Arkansas and Texas, that's almost half of our class which is what we should get. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

goodguytex

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 18, 2014, 08:45:27 am
I think that is a very good breakout of how, on average, our classes should look like.  If we can get 5 from each Arkansas and Texas, that's almost half of our class which is what we should get.
Yup. Very good mix.

HogsBalls

That's why south Florida has become the "go to" for us.

snoblind

Quote from: goodguytex on February 17, 2014, 10:09:39 pm
Does her first name begin with a J??

IDK, I can ask.  Have good friends whose son is a freshman told me about her.  Their son was probably coming regardless since dad went here and we have taken him to the rivers for floating and to White Rock to camp.  He loves it up here.  And he did play ball in high school.

goodguytex

Quote from: snoblind on February 18, 2014, 10:53:22 am
IDK, I can ask.  Have good friends whose son is a freshman told me about her.  Their son was probably coming regardless since dad went here and we have taken him to the rivers for floating and to White Rock to camp.  He loves it up here.  And he did play ball in high school.
Reason I ask is one of my best friends is dating a woman who may be the one you're talking about. She's a huge hog fan. Lives in the area you're talking about.

tbhogfan

The UA campus is a six hour drive from the Dallas Metroplex.   

We play a game in Dallas every year.

Texas averages around 40 4* or higher recruits per year (about the same as Florida).

If we want to become and stay a national power, it is essential that we use our proximity to, and the fact that we regularly play in Texas to our advantage on the recruiting trail. 

I agree with Muskogee above that we probably need to average around 5 recruits per year from Texas.

Go Hogs!

three hog night

Our student population is exploding with kids from DFW area.   Kids are coming here from some football factory HS's in North Dallas.   We have to find a way to use the students from those town that are already on Campus to help us get kids at their old HS.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Raiderman on February 17, 2014, 08:32:44 pm

Well I have to disagree with you. Believe it or not I've been to Lubbock. My X went there. The reason for playing more in Dallas is to allow the parents of Dallas Razorbacks the opportunity to see and visit with their sons instead of having to drive to Fayetteville. Two games there would be huge. If we schedule in Houston, Southwest from Houston to Dallas is peanuts or for that matter other cities in Texas. Flights from Dallas to Fayetteville are almost $500

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 18, 2014, 05:26:00 am

Arkansas-             5
Texas-                 5
Louisiana-             3
Oklahoma-            2
TN, MS, AL, GA-    4
Other States-       3

I think you are WAY off base here.  It should be much closer to...

Arkansas-             5
Texas-                 5
Louisiana-             3
Oklahoma-            2
TN, MS, AL, GA-    4
Florida-                4
Other States-       2
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Cure

Quote from: three hog night on February 18, 2014, 12:36:10 pm
Our student population is exploding with kids from DFW area.   Kids are coming here from some football factory HS's in North Dallas.   We have to find a way to use the students from those town that are already on Campus to help us get kids at their old HS.
They're largely here due to in-state tuition and being turned away by UT. So why would they go to UA? Those kids are going to UT, ATM, and Baylor. It will only be that much more difficult to pull SEC quality kids out of the state.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 18, 2014, 03:22:33 pm
I think you are WAY off base here.  It should be much closer to...

Arkansas-             5
Texas-                 5
Louisiana-             3
Oklahoma-            2
TN, MS, AL, GA-    4
Florida-                4
Other States-       2

Whoops! ;)
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Yes, as evidenced by our most recent coaching hire, who also happens to be a Secondary coach.

This should pay us huge dividends in recruiting in the state of Texas in the future and help our Secondary play.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Cure on February 18, 2014, 03:28:13 pm
They're largely here due to in-state tuition and being turned away by UT. So why would they go to UA? Those kids are going to UT, ATM, and Baylor. It will only be that much more difficult to pull SEC quality kids out of the state.
So let me get this straight: virtually the ONLY reasons kids from the DFW (and other areas of Texas) are going to the U of A is because they either can't get into UT or other major state schools or just to save money? Interesting: either all those kids must be so dumb they can't meet the instate entry requirements OR they're so cash strapped they want to go to college "on the cheap". I'm sure many of those kids would be glad to discuss that particular line of "reasoning" with you. BTW I'm sure that the actual quality of a Hill education has nothing to do with any of their decisions. NAH! that couldn't be it at all.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 22, 2014, 01:56:23 pm
So let me get this straight: virtually the ONLY reasons kids from the DFW (and other areas of Texas) are going to the U of A is because they either can't get into UT or other major state schools or just to save money? Interesting: either all those kids must be so dumb they can't meet the instate entry requirements OR they're so cash strapped they want to go to college "on the cheap". I'm sure many of those kids would be glad to discuss that particular line of "reasoning" with you. BTW I'm sure that the actual quality of a Hill education has nothing to do with any of their decisions. NAH! that couldn't be it at all.

Lots of them run into the top 10% of their class problem. It has helped with our enrollment, and these are good students, just due to a quirky state law don't get accepted into UT.

redeye

Quote from: HogsBalls on February 18, 2014, 10:33:18 am
That's why south Florida has become the "go to" for us.

How many players do we have from South Florida?  Five? Six?

Follow me here.

Quote from: tbhogfan on February 18, 2014, 11:52:42 am
The UA campus is a six hour drive from the Dallas Metroplex.   

We play a game in Dallas every year.

Texas averages around 40 4* or higher recruits per year (about the same as Florida).

If we want to become and stay a national power, it is essential that we use our proximity to, and the fact that we regularly play in Texas to our advantage on the recruiting trail. 

I agree with Muskogee above that we probably need to average around 5 recruits per year from Texas.

This is a huge point I think many are missing.  Proximity is a huge factor in the decision of most players.  While I hope we get all the South Florida players we can, it's unlikely we'll ever get enough of them to fill out a great class.  In contrast, Texas is close enough that we could sign five or more 4-5 star players every year.  I don't think you'll find a school that signs five 4-5 star players from a single state halfway across the country, but you'll find several that sign that many from adjacent states.  This is precisely why Texas is important.

Quote from: Cure on February 18, 2014, 03:28:13 pm

I guess I'm not following you, because that makes no sense to me.  We already have players from Texas visit simply to see former classmates and relatives, and the number is likely to increase in coming years.  I'm not sure how many have signed with Arkansas and the only two I can think of off the top of my head are Solomon Thomas and Kevin Shorter (seems like Pruitt had someone, but I can't recall.)

Unless I'm missing something, you're outlook is extremely pessimistic and not realistic, either.  Perhaps you're right about the majority of them, but recruiting is a numbers game and the more Texas students we have can only help with Texas players.

tophawg19

i'd say 7 from ark. 5 texas , 5 Florida , 3 GA., 3 LA  2 mix . I think Arkansas is going to be able to give 7 high quality kids in the near future
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

redeye

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 22, 2014, 02:23:45 pm
i'd say 7 from ark. 5 texas , 5 Florida , 3 GA., 3 LA  2 mix . I think Arkansas is going to be able to give 7 high quality kids in the near future

Put me down for 6 AR, 6 TX, 3 FL, 2 GA, 1 OK, 1 MO, 1 MS, 1 LA and the rest from elsewhere.

ricepig

Chief Mac

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 22, 2014, 02:23:45 pm

what makes you think the state of Arkansas is going to, on average, produce more than 5 SEC caliber recruits?  2015 is going to be a banner year, but its an outlier just like 2008 was
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Hawgzinbowlz

Tony Sloprano

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 22, 2014, 01:56:23 pm
Let me hold your hand and walk you through this.

In the State of Texas, if you don't finish in the Top 10% of your graduating class, you can't get into Texas or Texas A&M. So let's see what a person that finished 150 out of a class of 1450 in the DFW metroplex would do that wants to go to school relatively close to home. Hummmm, let's see. They could go to TCU. Ummmm, private. Private = expensive. Ditto SMU. Or they could go to North Texas. Hummm, not rated very highly. Hey Texas Tech is an option. But it is in Lubbock. Ever been to Lubbock ?

Or, they could go to OU, OSU or Arkansas ............Hey now. That's not a bad deal. Larger state schools that aren't too too far away from mom and dad and guess what ?? They realize that a LOT of students are in my same position so they are allowing me to go there at IN-STATE prices.

Hummmm ,which way to go, which way to go ..........

It's a no brainer dude. That is what's happening.

Piggfoot

I believe for kids from Texas to be accepted without paying out of state tuition at Arkansas they have to have scored a 30 on their ACT test.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: qdoc on February 23, 2014, 12:14:45 am
I believe for kids from Texas to be accepted without paying out of state tuition at Arkansas they have to have scored a 30 on their ACT test.
No its a lot lower, 24 or 25 I think
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Piggfoot

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on February 23, 2014, 12:29:26 am
No its a lot lower, 24 or 25 I think
You're correct it is 24. I had a 3 figure in my brain and I looked it up. It was a 3.25 grade average and a 24. But there are other way around it .

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: qdoc on February 23, 2014, 01:44:13 am
You're correct it is 24. I had a 3 figure in my brain and I looked it up. It was a 3.25 grade average and a 24. But there are other way around it .
I think the 24 and 3.25 are automatic acceptance. You can still get in if you don't have either one or both of those but it isn't guaranteed.

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"