Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is a good basketball team.

Started by razorhead94, February 13, 2014, 08:35:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhead94

We will make a run for March.  Playing better at the right time.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

rude1

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

maxhog5

No it is not.  It is what it is.  It was a fun game.  It was a high scoring game.  It was an exciting game, but there was not a good basketball team on either side.  Defense and fundamentals were atrocious on both sides.

Professor Pig

3 weeks ago, we were playing really bad basketball.

Now, we're shooting our free throws; avoiding mental break downs on defense; and going to the rim on offense instead of jackin' up 3's.

SloppinItandLovnIt

This is not a GOOD basketball team, but things are looking up.
Welcome to Arkansas, well if there is nothing to bitch about we will just make something up.

hogman99

Quote from: Professor Pig on February 13, 2014, 08:37:19 pm

Now, we're shooting our free throws; avoiding mental break downs on defense; and going to the rim on offense instead of jackin' up 3's.

I agree for the most part, we are still letting too many drives to the basket in the half court set.  We are playing better and I have seen good adjustments by the coaches.  We may not make the tourney this year, but if we continue to see this progress we will be tourney bound soon.

songofthesword

we're as good as we are going to be playing 2 freshman in the post and starting 2 walk ons  lol.

we aren't a bad team.  if we beat georgia and tennessee we are talking about where in the tourny we are going to be seeded .

Sooie71923

razorback93

Quote from: songofthesword on February 13, 2014, 08:42:14 pm
we're as good as we are going to be playing 2 freshman in the post and starting 2 walk ons  lol.

we aren't a bad team.  if we beat georgia and tennessee we are talking about where in the tourny we are going to be seeded .
Not sure about that.  Best case scenario, they're 10-8 going into SEC tourney.  I think they'll need to make a little run in that in order to get in.

Hoggish1

Quote from: rude1 on February 13, 2014, 08:35:26 pm
I disagree.

I don't.  We should have beaten them tonight.  I can't tell you why MO plays out their @ss against us every time, but they do.

Bottom line:  We are playing consistent BB, these days...

rude1

Quote from: Professor Pig on February 13, 2014, 08:37:19 pm

What game were you watching? They were basically getting to the rim and shooting layups or getting fouls the whole game. Our rotation defense continues to be the worse I have ever seen.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: rude1 on February 13, 2014, 08:47:01 pm
What game were you watching? They were basically getting to the rim and shooting layups or getting fouls the whole game. Our rotation defense continues to be the worse I have ever seen.
He is in denial. It is very common. And comical.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: razorhead94 on February 13, 2014, 08:35:03 pm

There are very few NCAA teams I would classify as good basketball teams. We ain't one of them. Basketball is pretty much a crap sport now. The only things kids think they can do is shoot 3 pointers and dunk. They got the dunking down but most can't shoot the ball worth a damn. Basketball was a great game from about 1980 to 2000. Now it is a painful sport to watch no matter what teams are playing.

The_Bionic_Pig

Man a good PG that distributes the ball is the difference in 3-5 more wins... potential is obvious watching them on tv.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Boston RedHogs

Time is running out....

rude1

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 13, 2014, 08:55:05 pm
There are very few NCAA teams I would classify as good basketball teams. We ain't one of them. Basketball is pretty much a crap sport now. The only things kids think they can do is shoot 3 pointers and dunk. They got the dunking down but most can't shoot the ball worth a damn. Basketball was a great game from about 1980 to 2000. Now it is a painful sport to watch no matter what teams are playing.
This is easily explained by the fact that the good players used to routinely stay 3-4 years in college, they got a chance to develop. Now if you are good, its one or two and you are on to the NBA. So you are right in that the college game lacks a lot in fundamentals, but that's because the best players don't stay around.

arkansasstory

We are not there yet! The defense rotation is horrible; we swat at everything instead of moving our feet; the outside shooters rush way too many shots; and we miss way too many layups because we do not use the BOARD.

Professor Pig

Quote from: rude1 on February 13, 2014, 08:47:01 pm

Going end-to-end against our full-court press (which is another topic completely), isn't what I'm alluding to. I'm speaking to our improvement, on the ball, in the half court -- eg, not doubling the dribbler and leaving guys wide-open for an easy 3.

Yeah, we fouled and will continue to -- we have NO size in the paint. Teams aren't intimidated to challenge us in the paint.

Just happens, Mizzou shot their free throws really well, which won't be the case every night.

TulsaJack32

Professor Pig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 13, 2014, 08:48:12 pm
He is in denial. It is very common. And comical.

thought you didn't watch tonight? interesting...

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: rude1 on February 13, 2014, 09:01:28 pm
This is easily explained by the fact that the good players used to routinely stay 3-4 years in college, they got a chance to develop. Now if you are good, its one or two and you are on to the NBA. So you are right in that the college game lacks a lot in fundamentals, but that's because the best players don't stay around.

Rude just hit the nail on the head....In today's game Todd Day, Super Sid etc.... are on campus for 1 Semester!! +1 sir
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hog1952

We are soooooo good.......soooooo close........soooooo well coached!!

dgfclt

Nah neither of the teams that played tonight will do anything in March. 

hawgbawb

I see definite improvement. Prolly NIT this year, NCAA next year.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Marshfieldhog

Tough to be good and 4-7, they will need to run the table at home and win 2/3 road games left to have a chance. Truth be told, Mike should have made the NCAA in year 3. He needs to get a solid roster together and upgrade his staff.

razorbackchamps94

FineAsSwine

ImHogginIt

Quote from: rude1 on February 13, 2014, 09:01:28 pm

Actually basketball was destroyed in 1987 when they allowed the 3 point shot in junior and senior high basketball. It really didn't help that they made it at 19 ft. 9 in.

rude1

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 13, 2014, 09:25:25 pm
Actually basketball was destroyed in 1987 when they allowed the 3 point shot in junior and senior high basketball. It really didn't help that they made it at 19 ft. 9 in.
I disagree with that. The 3 point rule helped the game IMO. You probably think the shot clock killed the game too.

ArkansasI

The Hogs are not good.  Don't rebound.  Can't shoot.  Give up easy baskets - or we foul.  Still too little motion in our motion offense.  Move the ball!

On the bright side, the team is fairly likeable.  They aren't quitters. 

I found out tonight that I still care.  I know because I am completely pissed that we lost to a bunch of punks and a punk coach.

Mike's class behavior is at the same time endearing and infuriating.  At some point he needs to show the same level of intensity that will be required to return to basketball relevance.  There are plenty of opportunities to defend his players on questionable ticky tack fouls that routinely go against them.  Even if the fouls are legit, show the team that you will defend them for the effort that they are giving that results in the fouls.

Get some of this done and add about 3 more players - a scorer, a shooter and an enforcer with real size - we might be back in business.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: rude1 on February 13, 2014, 09:28:10 pm
I disagree with that. The 3 point rule helped the game IMO. You probably think the shot clock killed the game too.

Nope. The three point shot stopped kids from actually learning fundamentals. You keep on believing as you do though if you love it. Declining attendance and TV ratings of basketball is a pretty good indicator that more and more people think as I do

rude1

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 13, 2014, 09:40:50 pm
Nope. The three point shot stopped kids from actually learning fundamentals. You keep on believing as you do though if you love it. Declining attendance and TV ratings of basketball is a pretty good indicator that more and more people think as I do
That has to do with what I said, kids not staying in college but for one or two seasons, not the 3 point shot.

H-O-double g

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 13, 2014, 09:09:51 pm
Tough to be good and 4-7, they will need to run the table at home and win 2/3 road games left to have a chance. Truth be told, Mike should have made the NCAA in year 3. He needs to get a solid roster together and upgrade his staff.
and 4-7 in a "as bad as its been" SEC conference

hamARchy in the USA

MA's teams tend to gravitate towards the middle of the pack.  This team is currently near the bottom of the pack.  Their play will likely pick up some as the season nears its end and the middle calls.

hobhog

Bottom third of SEC.

Playing better but......

Danny J

We are getting better no doubt but I guess it depends on definition of good. We are mediocre.

littlerockhawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 13, 2014, 08:46:26 pm
I don't.  We should have beaten them tonight.  I can't tell you why MO plays out their @ss against us every time, but they do.

Bottom line:  We are playing consistent BB, these days...

Ha, they didn't play out of their ass, not even close. Shot 3% below their season avg on fg's and 14% below from the three point line

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 13, 2014, 09:34:48 pm

Get some of this done and add about 3 more players - a scorer, a shooter and an enforcer with real size - we might be back in business.
That will be easy. Just get Calipari or Larry Brown to do our recruiting for us and bingo! We are in bidness!

ImHogginIt

February 14, 2014, 07:46:27 am #39 Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:40:39 am by ImHogginIt
Quote from: rude1 on February 13, 2014, 09:46:42 pm
That has to do with what I said, kids not staying in college but for one or two seasons, not the 3 point shot.

I disagree. Having the three pointer in jr and sr high school all these years destroyed the game. Kids just want to practice shooting from out there in their free time and never work on other fundamentals. I like the three point shot in college and the pro's only but would prefer the distance in college be the same as the pro game. That would discourage many players (and coaches allowing it ) from jacking up so many threes unless they truly are an exceptional long ball shooter.

dgfclt

Quote from: littlerockhawg on February 13, 2014, 10:34:17 pm
Ha, they didn't play out of their ass, not even close. Shot 3% below their season avg on fg's and 14% below from the three point line

They played a good first half.  The second half they were sloppy and beatable.  If anything they were giving us the game and we didn't finish the deal.  Heck Bobby Knight was saying that the entire second half and he was right.

dgfclt

Quote from: Hog1952 on February 13, 2014, 09:07:23 pm
We are soooooo good.......soooooo close........soooooo well coached!!

That was a battle of head coaching heavyweights last night.  The constant drawing up of plays and the mental back and forth between those two head coaches was such a treat.  That was like a Coach K vs. Bobby Knight contest on the sidelines.  Two stellar head coaches going at it.  sarcasm

The_Iceman

S.A.D.C

This team is really likeable...fun watching Madden's improvement from last year and Portis has gotten much better over the season.  Even Qualls and Harris have played at a differnet level the last coupl of weeks.

This team plays hard- that is the biggest difference in the last couple of weeks.  They have given some really good efforts in the last couple of weeks- I think they are learning how hard they have to play.

The team is athletic.  You know there are going to be a few plays each game that just make you smile.  Especially if Qualls in involved!  They are fun to watch.

I even think in some ways this team is improving.  Half court offense isn't there yet but looks a heck of a lot better than it did 5 games ago.  Our rotation seems better on the perimeter on defense.  (Although now we seem to be letting people get to the rim at will). 

But this team is NOT good.  We don't have a great scorer.  We give up WAY too many easy looks.  We foul.  We are NOT good in the halfcourt. 
- This team is 116th in rebounding
- This team is 149th in field goal percentage. 
- This team is 204th in points allowed. 

I really like this team, I do...but they are not good.  Those are not the stats of a good team. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: S.A.D.C on February 14, 2014, 08:38:04 am
This team is really likeable...fun watching Madden's improvement from last year and Portis has gotten much better over the season.  Even Qualls and Harris have played at a differnet level the last coupl of weeks.

This team plays hard- that is the biggest difference in the last couple of weeks.  They have given some really good efforts in the last couple of weeks- I think they are learning how hard they have to play.

The team is athletic.  You know there are going to be a few plays each game that just make you smile.  Especially if Qualls in involved!  They are fun to watch.

I even think in some ways this team is improving.  Half court offense isn't there yet but looks a heck of a lot better than it did 5 games ago.  Our rotation seems better on the perimeter on defense.  (Although now we seem to be letting people get to the rim at will). 

But this team is NOT good.  We don't have a great scorer.  We give up WAY too many easy looks.  We foul.  We are NOT good in the halfcourt. 
- This team is 116th in rebounding
- This team is 149th in field goal percentage. 
- This team is 204th in points allowed. 

I really like this team, I do...but they are not good.  Those are not the stats of a good team.
glad you like them. You need to watch other teams play. Then you would not like this team very much.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 14, 2014, 09:03:17 am
glad you like them. You need to watch other teams play. Then you would not like this team very much.

Ha...look I am a fan of the team- won't apologize for that. 

Believe me I watch plenty of other teams play.  Which is why it is very clear to anyone watching other CBB teams and conferences that this is NOT a good team.

HF#1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 14, 2014, 09:03:17 am

You're a tool
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Beaverfever

Either way it's a much tougher basketball team than we've seen in a while.  The other team knows they've played a basketball game afterwards.  We owned real estate in Mizzou's head all night.  They got away with a couple techs IMO.  Honestly, right now I'm satisfied with that.  Changing our program's attitude was priority number one.  I see more guys who give a damn whether we win or lose right now than I've seen since Nolan left.  If Mike is responsible for that and bringing an increasingly consistent product then I'll keep watching. 

smokenjoe

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 13, 2014, 08:36:48 pm
No it is not.  It is what it is.  It was a fun game.  It was a high scoring game.  It was an exciting game, but there was not a good basketball team on either side.  Defense and fundamentals were atrocious on both sides.

This is thumbs up.

hogsanity

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 13, 2014, 08:36:48 pm
It was a high scoring game.  It was an exciting game,

and that is all 95% of the "fans" really care about.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE