Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instate Basketball Recruiting

Started by Hatleyville454, February 13, 2014, 12:46:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatleyville454

These next two instate basketball classes are as deep as I can remember. In 2015 and 2016, it looks like there are about 6+ major D1 players.

You got the big names that everyone knows about already like Kevaughn Allen, Malik Monk, and Adrian Moore, who are all ranked 5* Top 20 players in their respective classes per Future150. You can find stats, highlights, and info on these guys all over the place.

The next tier of recruits is what I would like some more info on. I've heard Ron Crawford on the radio run down the talent instate that is coming up and I obviously can't remember all of them, so feel free to share any info on kids coming up.

Here are three I'd like to know about in particular:

2015 - Victor Dukes: Most have seen his thunderous dunk in the playoffs last year. Made SportsCenter and put him on the map. I had the privilege of watching him work out for an AAU team last summer and was really impressed by the improvement in his shot, which is what I thought was going to be his weak spot. However, that was only one practice and I haven't seen or heard anything on him since. Anyone know how his Junior season is going this year?

2015 - KJ Hill: Most know him as well, but mainly due to his efforts on the football field. I know he is an outstanding PG (ranked in the top 75 basketball recruits per Future150). Before transferring to NLR, I got a chance to speak with him and he stated he was going to make basketball his priority. I can only assume that has changed now due to the amount of offers and accolades he has accumulated as a WR. Anyway, anyone know how his basketball season is going thus far at NLR? I really need to get over there to watch some of their games with 4 major D1 guards on that team.

2016 - Ryan Pippins: I don't know anything about this kid except that I saw he was ranked the #77 recruit in 2016 per Future150. Goes to Parkview and is a PG, so surely someone can tell us a little more about him.

The_Iceman

Mitchell Smith is another one to watch for.

hollywood hog

Quote from: Hatleyville454 on February 13, 2014, 12:46:39 pm
These next two instate basketball classes are as deep as I can remember. In 2015 and 2016, it looks like there are about 6+ major D1 players.

You got the big names that everyone knows about already like Kevaughn Allen, Malik Monk, and Adrian Moore, who are all ranked 5* Top 20 players in their respective classes per Future150. You can find stats, highlights, and info on these guys all over the place.

The next tier of recruits is what I would like some more info on. I've heard Ron Crawford on the radio run down the talent instate that is coming up and I obviously can't remember all of them, so feel free to share any info on kids coming up.

Here are three I'd like to know about in particular:

2015 - Victor Dukes: Most have seen his thunderous dunk in the playoffs last year. Made SportsCenter and put him on the map. I had the privilege of watching him work out for an AAU team last summer and was really impressed by the improvement in his shot, which is what I thought was going to be his weak spot. However, that was only one practice and I haven't seen or heard anything on him since. Anyone know how his Junior season is going this year?

2015 - KJ Hill: Most know him as well, but mainly due to his efforts on the football field. I know he is an outstanding PG (ranked in the top 75 basketball recruits per Future150). Before transferring to NLR, I got a chance to speak with him and he stated he was going to make basketball his priority. I can only assume that has changed now due to the amount of offers and accolades he has accumulated as a WR. Anyway, anyone know how his basketball season is going thus far at NLR? I really need to get over there to watch some of their games with 4 major D1 guards on that team.

2016 - Ryan Pippins: I don't know anything about this kid except that I saw he was ranked the #77 recruit in 2016 per Future150. Goes to Parkview and is a PG, so surely someone can tell us a little more about him.

Is the 6'9" Sophomore from Van Buren getting any attention?  He is thin and babyfaced but moves really well,  looks good with the ball in his hands, and plays very physical for being so light.  I've only seen him once and that was on my weekly trip to see Malik.  He could be one to watch though.  And I just now talked to a friend of mine and she was telling me about some huge Nigerian kid in Fayetteville that the Hogs are already looking at. He's a freshman.

hollywood hog

Hawg Red

Also need to add Marquise Pointer from Jonesboro (combo guard), class of 2015. He's a really good compliment to Kahron Ross and it will be interesting to see what he can do without Ross next season how much of a leap he takes going into his sophomore year. Might end up being a kid Arkansas looks at if it misses on a bunch of those 2015 targets.

ricepig

I'm not sure Duke's made it to semester, I know he missed some games during the Christmas break.

Hatleyville454

Quote from: ricepig on February 13, 2014, 01:06:46 pm
I'm not sure Duke's made it to semester, I know he missed some games during the Christmas break.

What do you mean by he didn't make it to semester? I obviously don't want to put rumors out there or anything, but I did hear someone refer to him as a 2016 kid a few weeks ago. I just assumed it was a slip of the tongue. So your response intrigues me.

ricepig

Quote from: Hatleyville454 on February 13, 2014, 01:15:46 pm
What do you mean by he didn't make it to semester? I obviously don't want to put rumors out there or anything, but I did hear someone refer to him as a 2016 kid a few weeks ago. I just assumed it was a slip of the tongue. So your response intrigues me.

I don't follow Nettleton bb, but I know he didn't play in some games in the NEA, the quote was he didn't show up. I haven't seen his name listed in Jonesboro Sun on Nettleton's games, but again I don't follow them. He may be injured, or a dozen other reasons, just stating what I saw during the NEA tournament.

Also, he's a 2015 guy.

Tripod1

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 13, 2014, 01:05:36 pm
He's the Van Buren boy right?
If Smith gets serious in the weight room over the next 2 1/2 years he has the chance to be very good.  His ball handling skills, passing skills, getting up and down the floor, and shooting improved 200% over last year.  Then again he did play as a 9th grader so many lessons learned.  He will and probably can play facing the basket at the next level but right now of course he is playing with his back to the basket.  He has a great jump hook and great spin both left or right.  I'm pretty high on the kid.  Strength is his main liability right now.

hollywood hog

Quote from: Tripod1 on February 13, 2014, 01:43:18 pm
If Smith gets serious in the weight room over the next 2 1/2 years he has the chance to be very good.  His ball handling skills, passing skills, getting up and down the floor, and shooting improved 200% over last year.  Then again he did play as a 9th grader so many lessons learned.  He will and probably can play facing the basket at the next level but right now of course he is playing with his back to the basket.  He has a great jump hook and great spin both left or right.  I'm pretty high on the kid.  Strength is his main liability right now.

His spin moves were very impressive.  He wasn't finishing but he was getting himself nice looks and has a nice soft shot.  Hopefully he does get stronger and hopefully he wants to be a hog because he could  be a real stud. 

secfan1

I've been to 3 Nettleton games this year. Dukes is not on the team anymore. Decided to start skipping practices and even games. Couldn't deal with coaching. Has since left Nettleton and going to Jonesboro. Can't play there until next year. Honestly, the dunk will be his glory. Other than that one of the most inconsistent players around.

ricepig

Quote from: secfan1 on February 13, 2014, 03:40:51 pm
I've been to 3 Nettleton games this year. Dukes is not on the team anymore. Decided to start skipping practices and even games. Couldn't deal with coaching. Has since left Nettleton and going to Jonesboro. Can't play there until next year. Honestly, the dunk will be his glory. Other than that one of the most inconsistent players around.

Well, all I'll say is if he thinks skipping practice at Nettleton works, he'll be in for a big surprise with Swift at JHS.

pneal

Right now Ryan Pippins isn't playing his right position(point gaurd), his coach has him playing the 4 right now for some reason.  For those of you who havent seen him play he is number #10 and he makes a great play at the 1:39 mark of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHXL8d0EV20&feature=player_detailpage

hoglady

Was listening to Bill Ingram on sports radio today - he said that Billy Donovan and the entire Florida staff was at North Little Rock practice this week recruiting Jr. Kavaungh Allen and Bill Self was supposed to be there Tues. but rescheduling due to the weather.
Ingram thinks he's the best player in the state right now and considering the entire Florida staff was there I guess Donovan agrees.
We'll be going up against the really big boys for Allen.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 13, 2014, 01:05:36 pm
He's the Van Buren boy right?

I see what you did there!  :)

Those Van Buren Boys; they never hurt one of their own.....

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hoglady on February 14, 2014, 12:50:29 am
Was listening to Bill Ingram on sports radio today - he said that Billy Donovan and the entire Florida staff was at North Little Rock practice this week recruiting Jr. Kavaungh Allen and Bill Self was supposed to be there Tues. but rescheduling due to the weather.
Ingram thinks he's the best player in the state right now and considering the entire Florida staff was there I guess Donovan agrees.
We'll be going up against the really big boys for Allen.

Donovan should just give it up, Fla not in Allen's top 5.

Barman91

Dukes flat-out got lazy and gained about 20 pounds over the summer. I know for a fact McCord tried hard to bring him around, took him under his wing, picked him up for practice, etc. The young man simply did not have the drive this year. Swift has his hands full trying to redirect Dukes but maybe it can happen.

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 14, 2014, 10:32:20 am

You're right -- they're in his top 3.

hoglady

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 14, 2014, 10:32:20 am

My guess is Donovan doesn't just give up this early on someone he really wants.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Porkatarian

Quote from: Barman91 on February 14, 2014, 11:17:54 am
Dukes flat-out got lazy and gained about 20 pounds over the summer. I know for a fact McCord tried hard to bring him around, took him under his wing, picked him up for practice, etc. The young man simply did not have the drive this year. Swift has his hands full trying to redirect Dukes but maybe it can happen.

I may be partial, but I think Wes Swift is the best coach in the state.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

hogman99

Quote from: Porkatarian on February 14, 2014, 04:58:32 pm

Porkatarian out...

I would agree with this statement.

HognotinMemphis

I just hope we get Ladonkeyius Jerard from West Memphis.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

Quote from: Porkatarian on February 14, 2014, 04:58:32 pm

Porkatarian out...

Well, I am bias, I do agree. I can promise you that if Dukes plays at Jonesboro, he'll earn the time, that or quit the first week. I asked Wes during his first year why certain kids weren't playing, he said because they didn't agree with his rules.

secfan1

Anderson and 2 assistants, Watkins for sure, were at the NLR-Jonesboro game last night in which JB won 64-62. Seen NLR three times this year. Multiple Hog coaches at each game. Also, Swift is great coach yes.

sickboy

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 14, 2014, 05:25:59 pm
I just hope we get Ladonkeyius Jerard from West Memphis.

Ladonkeyius. Is that French Canadian?

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

RazorAg

Quote from: secfan1 on February 13, 2014, 03:40:51 pm

If you followed what he did in AAU last year, the dunk is definitely not his glory; he was a highly productive player.  He made me a believer in the Real Deal last year.  I did worry about his weight and his jumper, but he dominated on a team of several players that will be play high major ball.

Sorry to hear about this high school year.  This is what I call money time for players his age.  Hope he didn't squander a great opportunity.  As I said, he needed to develop his jumper and get his body right, but he definitely had a great chance to be a high major recruit.