Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kj hill

Started by HogsOfAnarchy, February 13, 2014, 11:53:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsOfAnarchy

With him being so highly sought out from top schools why is he just ranked a 3 star. Seems to me he's being underrated.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jacobp

Way too early to tell. 247 graded him an 88 all the way back in September.

HogsOfAnarchy

Just curious. Never seen him play but with some of his offers he has something special about him.

prairiehogcompanion

If KJ Hill were at this moment a four-star instead of a 3 would even more schools (and fans) want him more? Yes.

Would that make sense? No.

Hawg Red

Maybe he is a 3 star-level player. Maybe he's really a 4 star-level player. I don't think it really matters when a player is getting offers from the kind of schools he's getting offers from. He's a player top-level coaches think can help them win.

RazorPiggie

Please make it stop. We really should have a post count before someone is allowed to start threads.

The_Iceman

I feel a lot better after we added JoJo. If we land Hill, then great. If he decides to go somewhere else, we still got JoJo.

hollywood hog

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on February 13, 2014, 12:09:12 pm
Please make it stop.

The mass exodus of Arkansas kids to the state of Alabama?  I agree that our 3 million dollar man should be able to keep these boys home.  This class could make or break Bielema.  Right now, I don't like the look of things.  I don't think we get Hill, Gragg, or Pettway and that's ridiculous and completely unacceptable. 

IronMountainHog

Snortingred1

Quote from: mbcarnett on February 13, 2014, 11:53:43 am
With him being so highly sought out from top schools why is he just ranked a 3 star. Seems to me he's being underrated.

Good grief.  When are you people going to realize it's not always about star rankings.

hollywood hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 13, 2014, 12:14:17 pm
I feel a lot better after we added JoJo. If we land Hill, then great. If he decides to go somewhere else, we still got JoJo.

Major facepalm.  It's called depth.  We landed one big time WR so you're ok if we miss the next one that's located in the heart of Arkansas?   ::)  We desperately need Hill and Pettway.

Razorhawg09

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 13, 2014, 12:16:02 pm
The mass exodus of Arkansas kids to the state of Alabama?  I agree that our 3 million dollar man should be able to keep these boys home.  This class could make or break Bielema.  Right now, I don't like the look of things.  I don't think we get Hill, Gragg, or Pettway and that's ridiculous and completely unacceptable.
Lord have mercy. Go root for UAM or SAU.

hollywood hog

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on February 13, 2014, 12:22:41 pm
Lord have mercy. Go root for UAM or SAU.

Say Louisville and we have a deal. 

Tim Harris

We can not continue to miss on SEC caliber players in state regardless of who we have.  We also have to continue building depth if we ever want to compete.  You can't just land 1 good player and say well we don't need to recruit that position for a couple years.

swinetologist1

Believe I heard Dudley or Clay mention that most expect Pettway to go to Alabama based on family situated w/in Alabama. So, I'm not saying he won't come to Arkansas, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on him
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 13, 2014, 12:28:27 pm
We can not continue to miss on SEC caliber players in state regardless of who we have.  We also have to continue building depth if we ever want to compete.  You can't just land 1 good player and say well we don't need to recruit that position for a couple years.

Continue?  A little premature don't you think?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 13, 2014, 12:18:16 pm
Major facepalm.  It's called depth.  We landed one big time WR so you're ok if we miss the next one that's located in the heart of Arkansas?   ::)  We desperately need Hill and Pettway.

Cosign.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hollywood hog

TY Tim.  100% accurate.

RazorPiggie

Don't think you understand why I said what I said. That being said I don't think we will miss on all 3.

hollywood hog

Quote from: swinetologist1 on February 13, 2014, 12:31:36 pm
Believe I heard Dudley or Clay mention that most expect Pettway to go to Alabama based on family situated w/in Alabama. So, I'm not saying he won't come to Arkansas, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on him

Yeah, I don't expect him but feel we should've gotten the offer in before Bama.  The rest of the kids should be convinced to stay in-state and be part of a top 10-12 class. 

hollywood hog

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on February 13, 2014, 12:32:44 pm
Don't think you understand why I said what I said. That being said I don't think we will miss on all 3.

I'd take 2 of the 3 right now and be thrilled.  We need them in the worst way.

The_Iceman

I didn't say we don't need to recruit that position. I said that if this kid wants to wuss out and go to some other flashy SEC school like other front-runners like Frazier and Tenpenny, then we won't be hurt as much by it.

Sometimes, there are kids in this state that just wanna leave and go play somewhere else. Arkansas isn't a top flight program and they aren't willing to man up and help come build it like Bijohn Jackson and Bobby Portis.

We should recruit the heck out of our state, especially KJ Hill. But if he wants to run away to some other school, then the recruiting success of Bielema/staff have put us in a position to where we aren't devastated by it.

colbs

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 13, 2014, 12:36:40 pm
I'd take 2 of the 3 right now and be thrilled.  We need them in the worst way.
Same here.  The 2015 in state class is the best it's been as long as I can remember.  It would be nice to get 7-9 instate kids from the state in 2015.

trashcan maN

Is it just me, or is our lack of an offer to Pettway getting to be borderline disrespectful? Is there some sort of red flag on him?

Hoggish1

Not a good way to think about it.  He's a Arkansas kid and we need all the top flight AR kids to want to stay home.  After the 2014 season, I think the situation will change for the better.

hollywood hog

Quote from: kj0N on February 13, 2014, 12:43:16 pm
Is it just me, or is our lack of an offer to Pettway getting to be borderline disrespectful? Is there some sort of red flag on him?

I think it's moronic.  And not borderline. 

hokettHOG

He will get a 4th star if he commits to someone other than the Hogs

[attachment deleted by admin]

hollywood hog

The only red flag is Bielema may know he's Bama bound.  In which case you still offer him and offer him early.  And let it be known publicly you want him.  Just plays out better with the other in-state kids that way I think.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on February 13, 2014, 12:31:38 pm
Continue?  A little premature don't you think?

How many years do we need to lose 1 of the top players for you to see the trend and say it needs to stop?

PorkRinds

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 13, 2014, 12:40:28 pm
I didn't say we don't need to recruit that position. I said that if this kid wants to wuss out and go to some other flashy SEC school like other front-runners like Frazier and Tenpenny, then we won't be hurt as much by it.

Sometimes, there are kids in this state that just wanna leave and go play somewhere else. Arkansas isn't a top flight program and they aren't willing to man up and help come build it like Bijohn Jackson and Bobby Portis.

We should recruit the heck out of our state, especially KJ Hill. But if he wants to run away to some other school, then the recruiting success of Bielema/staff have put us in a position to where we aren't devastated by it.

I agree.

trashcan maN

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 13, 2014, 12:54:14 pm
The only red flag is Bielema may know he's Bama bound.  In which case you still offer him and offer him early.  And let it be known publicly you want him.  Just plays out better with the other in-state kids that way I think.
Pettway's measurables go right in line with the type of WR BB likes to recruit. Head scratcher to say the least. I'm sure there is a piece to this story we don't know.

Hawg Red

I agree.

You can only recruit a kid so hard, but if you aren't winning, it can be a tough sell for some kids. If Bielema was having the success Petrino had for those 2 years, he wouldn't lose any kid from in-state that he wanted. But we've had two really bad years and these kids are getting offered by superpowers. Most kids are front-runners and would rather be able to say they're with the winning program than come to Arkansas where they're more likely to have a chance to make a name for themselves. Could still happen at Alabama or Auburn or wherever, but there's going to be much more competition there and there's a real chance they never really get to play.

bobcat ball

Can't force kids to come.

WOO PIG

hollywood hog

Well yeah, I agree with this too.  It just sounds a lot different than that first post.  First post sounds like "we got JoJo so we good for the next 4 years".    8)

3BoarsDown

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 13, 2014, 01:07:07 pm
How many years do we need to lose 1 of the top players for you to see the trend and say it needs to stop?

You aren't going to get every kid.

It's not a big deal to lose a couple here and there.  It's the program changers that hurt, guys like Dmac and Tyler Wilson.

YouCrawl_IQuall

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 13, 2014, 01:07:07 pm

It's never going to happen. Does any school keep all of their top in state players that they are after? I doubt it

bobcat ball

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on February 13, 2014, 01:26:38 pm
You aren't going to get every kid.

It's not a big deal to lose a couple here and there.  It's the program changers that hurt, guys like Dmac and Tyler Wilson.

Win more and I think this instate group is more likely to stay home.

Have another bad yr like this past and  :puke:
WOO PIG

Tim Harris

Quote from: YouCrawl_IQuall on February 13, 2014, 01:35:31 pm
It's never going to happen. Does any school keep all of their top in state players that they are after? I doubt it

Of course you aren't getting them all but it still doesn't make it acceptable to miss out on them.  We have very little SEC talent in this state compared to the others.  We have to to get everyone of them we can.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 13, 2014, 12:23:28 pm
Say Louisville and we have a deal. 
Your boy in Louisville lost his fair share of boys to the state of Alabama

Razorhawg09

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 13, 2014, 01:53:34 pm
That's how stupid most of our fanbase is. They'd rather Petrino succeed and Bielema fail. The rednecks that have never been to a game in their life that think their voice matters. It's a miracle anyone wants to coach here.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 13, 2014, 01:53:34 pm
Petrino wasn't a good recruiter. 
I wonder if Petteway wanted to commit to Bama today if they would take him?
I don't know how good Petteway is, but I assume at this time Bama only has a few WR in the country they will actually accept a  commitment from. 
Arkansas on the other hand can't afford to offer an in state kid and not accept.  They also can't rescind a scholarship offer. 
But I do agree with other posters that it stinks for in state kids to get offered by other programs first especially when we haven't been tearing it up on the field or the recruiting trail recently

ricepig

Unless our offer comes real late, it shouldn't matter. The coaches have talked with the kids and let them in on their plans. They either agree with it, or they don't, it shouldn't sway one who is looking at us seriously. As the GT coach said, we don't know who has offers, which ones are commitable(sp), and which ones aren't.

redeye

Doesn't bother me much.  He may have told our coaches there was no way he'd ever sign with Arkansas.  Or, maybe they don't think he's so good.  Or, maybe he has an attitude problem.  Or, maybe they think he's really good, but have offers out to others they like better.  We assume we know better, but chances are we're wrong.

Quote from: swinetologist1 on February 13, 2014, 12:31:36 pm

I have this crazy feeling that Saban has begun targeting Louisiana and Arkansas harder, recently.  He got 4 players from Louisiana in his 2014 class and that's probably the most Alabama has signed in the modern era.  Before Tenpenney, I can't remember an Arkansas player ever signing with Alabama, but now they're in on our top recruits every year.  They may think taking our best players away is better for them then signing better players from elsewhere, if it helped them win the SEC-W, where they normally face their biggest challenges.

HogsOfAnarchy

Quote from: Snortingred1 on February 13, 2014, 12:18:07 pm
Good grief.  When are you people going to realize it's not always about star rankings.
no it's not always about stars but yes it does have a lot to do with it. It makes the recruit feel better and if other recruits see high rated players committing to a school it could provide some attention to that school

Vantage 8 dude

So with only five commits so far (all at least 4*s btw) YOU don't like the look of things?! Amazing, Einstein. Very curious how you project that any (or all) of these kids end up anywhere in particular. Just by the mere fact they have various offers? They've tweeted such nonsense such as "roll tide"?! What makes you think that kids such as Pettway won't be eventually offered and possibly accept immediately? Hate to tell ya' but things are a LONG way from being settled one way or another with any of these kids (and many others).

BTW since you're obviously so displeased and upset at how things are going perhaps you might want to apply for the (just) vacated position of Recruiting Director. I'm absolutely positive CBB and all are just waiting with bated breath by the phone hoping for your call!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on February 13, 2014, 02:06:38 pm
Petrino wasn't a good recruiter. 
I wonder if Petteway wanted to commit to Bama today if they would take him?
I don't know how good Petteway is, but I assume at this time Bama only has a few WR in the country they will actually accept a  commitment from. 
Arkansas on the other hand can't afford to offer an in state kid and not accept.  They also can't rescind a scholarship offer. 
But I do agree with other posters that it stinks for in state kids to get offered by other programs first especially when we haven't been tearing it up on the field or the recruiting trail recently
Quick reminder when it comes to recruiting: Just because a kid doesn't receive his first or second offer from Arkansas doesn't necessarily mean anything. It also doesn't necessarily mean a recruit will or won't eventually obtain one and/or if he does the young man will/won't accept it.

Hog1952

I don't think we get him.....something not right going on at NLR High School!

hollywood hog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 13, 2014, 04:27:28 pm
So with only five commits so far (all at least 4*s btw) YOU don't like the look of things?! Amazing, Einstein. Very curious how you project that any (or all) of these kids end up anywhere in particular. Just by the mere fact they have various offers? They've tweeted such nonsense such as "roll tide"?! What makes you think that kids such as Pettway won't be eventually offered and possibly accept immediately? Hate to tell ya' but things are a LONG way from being settled one way or another with any of these kids (and many others).

BTW since you're obviously so displeased and upset at how things are going perhaps you might want to apply for the (just) vacated position of Recruiting Director. I'm absolutely positive CBB and all are just waiting with bated breath by the phone hoping for your call!

Gragg is an Ole Miss fan, KJ Hill has been rumored to be an Auburn lean for months and I think that is accurate.  And our recruiting guys think Pettway signs with Bama.  That's why I'm not feeling good about them.  That and the fact that we've only won 7 games the last 2 years.  And as far as being Recruiting Coordinator I'm quite sure I could pull off just as many whiffs or possibly more than our current coordinator just did. 

Oops, let me edit this because I didn't realize we had just fired our Recruiting Coordinator.  I can't whiff nearly as much as him now. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 13, 2014, 05:47:14 pm
Gragg is an Ole Miss fan, KJ Hill has been rumored to be an Auburn lean for months and I think that is accurate.  And our recruiting guys think Pettway signs with Bama.  That's why I'm not feeling good about them.  That and the fact that we've only won 7 games the last 2 years.  And as far as being Recruiting Coordinator I'm quite sure I could pull off just as many whiffs or possibly more than our current coordinator just did.
Again you're going off of suppositions, rumors, etc. So Gragg wears an OM shirt and he's now a fan (enough to commit)? Didn't he just visit 'Bama and tweet "roll tide"? What about his family history with the Hogs (not saying that's the end-all-to-be-all but it doesn't count for anything)? And KJ is RUMORED to be an Awbarn lean? Again, what makes that an official commit? Same thing with Pettway.

So we're getting worked up BEFORE any of these kids have announced or perhaps even decided. As much as I want as many top flight in-state players to stay and play for the Hogs, I'm certainly NOT going to start writing off any or all of these kids some 11+ months prior to the '15 NSD. IMHO for your own peace of mind may I suggest you try chillin' about all this and let the coaches do their jobs. In the end whatever we think or hope the KIDS will be the one's who'll make their decisions and that's whether we like or agree with such or not.