Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good read about recruiting from Ga Tech coach

Started by 3BoarsDown, February 12, 2014, 07:50:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

jkstock04

So if a committed player visits another school they will drop him like a bad habit at first opportunity? Lol interesting...I actually like that, but would wager if it were a blue chip recruit they wanted badly that wouldn't be the case.

Also interesting him hitting on actual committable offers...that's something that never gets another second thought on this forum. Everyone takes these recruiting websites offer lists for granted. Guarantee probably half of these "offer" lists we look at are BS.

Only real way to know if a kid has an actual committable offer from said school is if they take an official visit there. Kids probably lie a lot on these offer lists to make themselves look more flashy, and due to NCAA rules schools can't question or refute it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

regi

Never will forget his radio rant after Flowers flipped to Hogs. He couldn't be specific of course, but everybody knew who he was talking about.

His offense hurts their recruiting more than academics and pulling offers. Just hard to recruit guys with NFL dreams when you run that offense.

Hoggish1

Paul Johnson is right.  Anybody can tell with the first 5 at just about any position, nationwide, but after that, you better do some digging into their background, family, work ethic, etc., etc., because they are like peas in a pod and the only way to know is to dig and dig and dig some more...

Hoggish1

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 12, 2014, 08:20:56 am
So if a committed player visits another school they will drop him like a bad habit at first opportunity?

Don't think he said that.  He said it all depends id someone takes your spot.  For others, who are that good, you wait (maybe 3 or 4 in that category...).

whosiskid

For what it is worth, Georgia Tech would fire him in a second if he didn't have one of the most absurd buy clauses in college football. I know several Georgia Tech fans here in Atlanta and they all passionately hate Johnson, is part because of his dump-the-prospect-if-they-visit-elsewhere. We've picked up a few players from him thanks to that policy. Duwop is the most recent. Basically Tech fans believe they are doomed to mediocrity for the length of Johnson's contract. No way they pay the 7.5 million buy out. His contract is for two more seasons and then he will unquestionably be fired unless he dramatically turns around the program. Thanks to his recruiting policy he has lost a ton of prospects. I think psychologically, telling a player that he can't visit another score actually makes him want to visit another school. Duwop and Flowers are hardly the only major players his policy has cost the Yellow Jackets.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Boarcephus

Quote from: whosiskid on February 13, 2014, 04:52:09 am
For what it is worth, Georgia Tech would fire him in a second if he didn't have one of the most absurd buy clauses in college football. I know several Georgia Tech fans here in Atlanta and they all passionately hate Johnson, is part because of his dump-the-prospect-if-they-visit-elsewhere. We've picked up a few players from him thanks to that policy. Duwop is the most recent. Basically Tech fans believe they are doomed to mediocrity for the length of Johnson's contract. No way they pay the 7.5 million buy out. His contract is for two more seasons and then he will unquestionably be fired unless he dramatically turns around the program. Thanks to his recruiting policy he has lost a ton of prospects. I think psychologically, telling a player that he can't visit another score actually makes him want to visit another school. Duwop and Flowers are hardly the only major players his policy has cost the Yellow Jackets.

I like his recruiting philosophy but that only works at places like Bama, LSU, OU and a couple others and it will not work at GT.  It would be nice to get to the point where we can tell a kid, this spot is yours but you're through looking and if you do, your offer is pulled and given to so and so.  Walmart treats their vendors like this! 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

I like his recruiting philosophy but that only works at places like Bama, LSU, OU and a couple others and it will not work at GT.  It would be nice to get to the point where we can tell a kid, this spot is yours but you're through looking and if you do, your offer is pulled and given to so and so.  Walmart treats their vendors like this! 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 13, 2014, 06:41:43 am
How does the Best Wide Receiver (Calvin Johnson) in the NFL come from Georgia Tech? Crazy!!!
I love off season Football!!

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on February 13, 2014, 07:26:12 am
How does the Best Wide Receiver (Calvin Johnson) in the NFL come from Georgia Tech? Crazy!!!
He played there before Paul Johnson was the coach. However Demaryius Thomas did play for GT under Paul Johnson.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

trashcan maN

"Some kids we offer from camp, and some we offer from scouting them. It's some of both. A lot of kids will say that they have offers, and we don't know who they are. It's easy for kids say they've got an offer from whomever and because of the NCAA rules, no one can refute what they say. I'm sure it happens a lot."

Laughing Hog

Quote from: regi on February 12, 2014, 03:31:40 pm
Never will forget his radio rant after Flowers flipped to Hogs. He couldn't be specific of course, but everybody knew who he was talking about.

His offense hurts their recruiting more than academics and pulling offers. Just hard to recruit guys with NFL dreams when you run that offense.

While I agree that his offense and pulling offers does kill their recruiting, the academics/entrance requirements to this school is one of the hardest in the country to qualify for.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Laughing Hog

This is all very true. Add the academic requirements and you have a tough road to hoe when it comes to recruiting top players.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!