Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench-Bielema's Job Now to Turn Recruits Into Additional Stars

Started by Robert Shields, February 10, 2014, 10:59:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Bielema's Job Now to Turn Recruits Into Additional Stars

Robert Shields

Razorback football coach Bret Bielema has completed his second year in the SEC recruiting trenches. The kids are no longer "commitments" but signed to the UofA. The signing parties have been held in Fayetteville and Little Rock, and the highlight videos have been shown.

It's important to remember now that what you have seen in the video footage is a high-school athlete at his very best. For many as they are introduced into the SEC, you will see them at times at their worst. The SEC is brutal, cruel, and one of the toughest sports leagues in the world.

Yet, you have been told on recruiting bulletin boards and by radio personalities that these kids are good and not to worry about star ratings. On paper, this is a bad class. Luckily for the Razorbacks, the games are never played on paper.

If he were honest, Bielema would tell you that he would trade his class for the one Alabama signed last Wednesday. And on average, Alabama's five-star recruits are going to beat Arkansas' three-star recruits. On paper, though, this class is no better or worse than what Arkansas has recruited over the last several years. I compared the football program to a prize fighter that was knocked down, and maybe this recruiting class will come back screaming off the mat.

Depending on the recruiting service, this class landed around No. 30. Not bad, and it put them around perennial powers such as Oregon, Penn State, Michigan, and Nebraska. It can also be argued this is actually an excellent recruiting class considering the circumstances that it was born out of.

After not winning an SEC game, losing a record-setting nine games in a row, and finishing 3-9, you can claim it's a victory to not fall in the recruiting rankings. It's a base to build the future upon.

On the other hand, if you want to be negative, it was a class that was behind most of Arkansas' competition in the SEC.

Many stated that last year's team was talent deficient. In that world, it had to be disappointing that the team could only sign 24 out of a possible 26. It's understandable to not waste two scholarships on two players who you know will never make it at the school.

But, you have to wonder why it ended up that way. The team needed to max out at 26 with as many new talented bodies as it could. This was not the case.

The team loaded up with people in the secondary in this recruiting class -- a sign that times have changed as Bobby Petrino loaded up his classes with so many receivers.

The high volume of added players who can contribute to the secondary should come as no surprise to anyone who saw last year's team. The final drive by LSU last season was a great example as the Tigers drove 99 yards, much of it through the air from their little-used back-up quarterback.

The poor secondary last year, which was so maligned, resulted from more than just a lack of talent. Players got injured and the secondary got no help from a completely depleted linebacking group that was often learning on the job.

It also did not help the secondary, just as the rest of the team, that they were fighting through their fourth coach in about a year and a half. The lack of coaching stability can affect the best of players.

It is a sad state, though, that the once-proud Razorbacks that used to feature secondary talent named Danny Walters, Greg Lasker, Steve Atwater, Orlando Watters, Kenoy Kennedy, Kenny Hamlin, and  David Barrett to name a few now features a continuing cast of understudies. Heck, I'm sure last year even would have welcomed Tony Bua.

So sticking with theme of the week that stars do not matter, who will be the biggest contributor in this freshman class? Why not go with the kid from Pine Bluff Dollarway, Joshua Liddell? He has two stars by all the recruiting services and will probably be the kid that pans out.

And in the end, like all his predecessors since Arkansas entered the SEC, it will be Bielema's job to turn these three-star recruits into four-star players and hope as much. As Razorback fans suffer through the winter of their discontent with the previous season, with this class, some fans can still see the sun.

Send your favorite recruit to fromthebench@yahoo.com

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Großer Kriegschwein

Don't tread on Bua. That dude had heart and fire when he played. Unfortunately he made some Bobby Boucher mistakes, but never lacked in aggressiveness.
This is my non-signature signature.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

The_Iceman

Booo Robert, Booo Robert Shields. Boo!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Robert Shields on February 10, 2014, 10:59:36 am
Bielema's Job Now to Turn Recruits Into Additional Stars

Robert Shields

Razorback football coach Bret Bielema has completed his second year in the SEC recruiting trenches. The kids are no longer "commitments" but signed to the UofA. The signing parties have been held in Fayetteville and Little Rock, and the highlight videos have been shown.

It's important to remember now that what you have seen in the video footage is a high-school athlete at his very best. For many as they are introduced into the SEC, you will see them at times at their worst. The SEC is brutal, cruel, and one of the toughest sports leagues in the world.

Yet, you have been told on recruiting bulletin boards and by radio personalities that these kids are good and not to worry about star ratings. On paper, this is a bad class. Luckily for the Razorbacks, the games are never played on paper.

If he were honest, Bielema would tell you that he would trade his class for the one Alabama signed last Wednesday. And on average, Alabama's five-star recruits are going to beat Arkansas' three-star recruits. On paper, though, this class is no better or worse than what Arkansas has recruited over the last several years. I compared the football program to a prize fighter that was knocked down, and maybe this recruiting class will come back screaming off the mat.

Depending on the recruiting service, this class landed around No. 30. Not bad, and it put them around perennial powers such as Oregon, Penn State, Michigan, and Nebraska. It can also be argued this is actually an excellent recruiting class considering the circumstances that it was born out of.

After not winning an SEC game, losing a record-setting nine games in a row, and finishing 3-9, you can claim it's a victory to not fall in the recruiting rankings. It's a base to build the future upon.

On the other hand, if you want to be negative, it was a class that was behind most of Arkansas' competition in the SEC.

Many stated that last year's team was talent deficient. In that world, it had to be disappointing that the team could only sign 24 out of a possible 26. It's understandable to not waste two scholarships on two players who you know will never make it at the school.

But, you have to wonder why it ended up that way. The team needed to max out at 26 with as many new talented bodies as it could. This was not the case.

The team loaded up with people in the secondary in this recruiting class -- a sign that times have changed as Bobby Petrino loaded up his classes with so many receivers.

The high volume of added players who can contribute to the secondary should come as no surprise to anyone who saw last year's team. The final drive by LSU last season was a great example as the Tigers drove 99 yards, much of it through the air from their little-used back-up quarterback.

The poor secondary last year, which was so maligned, resulted from more than just a lack of talent. Players got injured and the secondary got no help from a completely depleted linebacking group that was often learning on the job.

It also did not help the secondary, just as the rest of the team, that they were fighting through their fourth coach in about a year and a half. The lack of coaching stability can affect the best of players.

It is a sad state, though, that the once-proud Razorbacks that used to feature secondary talent named Danny Walters, Greg Lasker, Steve Atwater, Orlando Watters, Kenoy Kennedy, Kenny Hamlin, and  David Barrett to name a few now features a continuing cast of understudies. Heck, I'm sure last year even would have welcomed Tony Bua.

So sticking with theme of the week that stars do not matter, who will be the biggest contributor in this freshman class? Why not go with the kid from Pine Bluff Dollarway, Joshua Liddell? He has two stars by all the recruiting services and will probably be the kid that pans out.

And in the end, like all his predecessors since Arkansas entered the SEC, it will be Bielema's job to turn these three-star recruits into four-star players and hope as much. As Razorback fans suffer through the winter of their discontent with the previous season, with this class, some fans can still see the sun.

Send your favorite recruit to fromthebench@yahoo.com
Once again ole Robbie is here to tell the coaching staff what needs to be done. Boy, I just hope Saban, Sumlin, Meyer, Miles, Stoops and other HCs don't have the same type writer(s) in their territories so they have the same advantage that CBB does! If so then it certainly won't be long before the Hogs are making gigantic leaps and rapidly closing the performance gap with such a "secret weapon".

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Robert Shields on February 10, 2014, 10:59:36 am

Well, that's the way you want to see.  If you want to go by stars, you should know that about 7 of these recruits were as close to being 4*s as math will allow, to go with the seven we signed.  If those seven, or so where going to Bama they would easily be kicked up to 4*, if that kind of thing is important to you.

But your head is in a dark place about Bielema, so knock yourself out...

DeltaBoy

Good job Robert  CBB has a proven track record of coaching kids up so I am happy with what we got.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog1952

Robert do you know a coach who wouldn't trade classes with Bama???

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Agreed, considering the atrocious last 2.5 years with the Petrino scandle, smiley and a winless SEC schedule, we filled holes nicely and got a descent class.

MJ2

Sounds pretty accurate.   Now is the time CBB gets to prove his worth and his coaching abilities - or start counting down the days until the buyout which has to be very comforting if one were in his shoes, uh, flip flops.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MJ2 on February 10, 2014, 03:11:37 pm
Sounds pretty accurate.   Now is the time CBB gets to prove his worth and his coaching abilities - or start counting down the days until the buyout which has to be very comforting if one were in his shoes, uh, flip flops.
While I'll agree that after the past two seasons I'm more than ready to see a turn for the better, however, I'm also curious. How long are you willing to give CBB and staff before you're ready to call for his head? Inquiring minds want to know......

tophawg19

wonder does R Shields realize that every coach in history would have traded for this bama class . a few NFL teams might trade
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

weresoclose

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 10, 2014, 04:24:19 pm
While I'll agree that after the past two seasons I'm more than ready to see a turn for the better, however, I'm also curious. How long are you willing to give CBB and staff before you're ready to call for his head? Inquiring minds want to know......

Longer than one complete season? Maybe three? Maybe four with a complete change in philosophy and the need to recruit both sides of the ball to fit new systems/philosophies? That should take care of "inquiring minds", provided that they aren't already biased in their opinions.
Go Hogs Go!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hog1952 on February 10, 2014, 12:31:23 pm
Robert do you know a coach who wouldn't trade classes with Bama???

LSU probably wouldn't want to trade with Alabama.  LSU signed the #1 ranked RB (Fournette), the #1 ranked WR (Dupre), and the #2 ranked OLB (Garrett).  LSU also signed the #2 ranked Safety, and the #3 ranked Safety.  The only players Alabama signed that LSU really wanted was the Offensive Tackle, Cameron Robinson, and the Cornerback, Tony Brown.

The 2014 Alabama Class is not the end-all-be-all.

tophawg19

GoHogs1091

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 10, 2014, 08:11:13 pm
the Alabama class is the highest rank in history

Fournette is being compared to Adrian Peterson.  Plus, LSU has a new Offensive Line Coach who if I am not mistaken was Auburn's OL Coach in 2010 when Cam Newton was running all over Defenses.

The wild card for LSU is going to be Cam Cameron.  Saban and Smart know that they got their work-cut-out for them regarding Cameron and his play calling.  A T.V. Commentator during their game this past season stated that Kirby Smart stated during the week before that game that the difference now for LSU is that LSU now has a very sophisticated passing attack. 

tophawg19

every year someones compared to Peterson , D-MAC , barry sanders . etc. none yet have lived up to it . Bama has that impossible class . As great as their past classes have been , their will be freshmen from this one playing this year

thefisher

The one positive thing you can say about Robert Shields is that he is absolutely consistent.  His articles always suck.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

MJ2

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 10, 2014, 04:24:19 pm

I think we're locked in for 3 + years barring something unexpected, but beyond that and if the 3 years results in say 10 total wins, then I'm not sure even a huge buyout would prevent a change.

Hogwild

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 10, 2014, 08:07:44 pm
LSU probably wouldn't want to trade with Alabama.  LSU signed the #1 ranked RB (Fournette), the #1 ranked WR (Dupre), and the #2 ranked OLB (Garrett).  LSU also signed the #2 ranked Safety, and the #3 ranked Safety.  The only players Alabama signed that LSU really wanted was the Offensive Tackle, Cameron Robinson, and the Cornerback, Tony Brown.

The 2014 Alabama Class is not the end-all-be-all.

LSU would probably prefer their class due to needs,  had the gotten Robinson they would have the #1 class not Bama.  Either way many people are saying that both Bama and LSU got their best classes in their school's history.

urkillnmesmalls

Did I read that correctly?  Did Shield's actually make a post that wasn't almost immediately critical of the UA, or at the very least littered with subtle jabs? 

I think the better question this week is,

"WHERE the hell is Robert Shields?"

That post actually allowed room to take it as asking that people be willing to give things a chance to get turned around, and that the class wasn't a complete failure. 

For the record...RS, I would challenge you to find a class since entering the SEC that we wouldn't trade with Bama, if you're going by paper.  Nothing new this season...other than a new staff doing their best with the cards they have been dealt.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.