Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith and recruiting...

Started by Ugly Uncle, February 08, 2014, 09:58:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: hogwild210 on February 09, 2014, 05:24:53 pm
Are you familiar with the concept of a message board?
Looks like some think that its a sounding board for coach and/or AD wannabe's.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 09, 2014, 07:51:40 pm
52 to Fresno State
52 to SMU
49 to Houston
52 to CINN
41 to Central FL

The Texans scored 49 points on the bucs??

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogwild210 on February 09, 2014, 05:24:53 pm
Are you familiar with the concept of a message board?

What's a message board? Please explain?  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Fayettechill14

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on February 09, 2014, 04:45:52 pm
That's simply incorrect.  I agree with your basic premise that we need to search high and low for recruits and use our ties to the SEC to sign players a far distance from the south that might not normally be given an offer from an SEC school, but our recruiting in Texas is not as bad as your post indicates. 

As crappy as we've been the last two seasons, the two recruits we got from Texas were not leftovers that all those teams above didn't want.  They were both highly sought by several teams on your list.

Hopefully we start performing better on the field this year and we start getting 5-6 highly recruited players out of Texas instead of just 2.

Okay, I was using a little bit of hyperbole, but since we last signed a 4* recruit that was NOT a RB from Texas, we've signed 4* recruits from Florida, Minnesota, Hawaii, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana.

We're getting some high 3* recruits, and many of them have great potential, but folks have been posting "# of 4* recruits in Texas vs NJ" lists, and it's worth noting that no one cares how many there are if we're not getting any of them... Basically, we're signing players we could just as easily be getting from other states, and with a higher success rate.

swinesation

52 to Fresno State
52 to SMU
49 to Houston
52 to CINN
41 to Central FL

I talked to your mom, and we agreed you're grounded from posting on hogville for one week.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: The NewEra on February 09, 2014, 09:32:33 am
You Might Find This Interesting - These coaches will go where the players are to recruit.
Thanks for posting that, New Era. We got 4 guys from Florida and all happened to be a furthest distance from us as possible in Florida. That shows the value of connections over distance.

Nipsey Mussle

52 to Fresno State
52 to SMU
49 to Houston
52 to CINN
41 to Central FL
Lol! Good call, bro.... maybe he did play teams from Cincinatti and Houston.

Fayettechill14

52 to Fresno State
52 to SMU
49 to Houston
52 to CINN
41 to Central FL

Oh dear. We got another dummy around here. Call the Mods and drag this drunk outta here.

secneahog

BUT if you post his defensive numbers when he was the DC they are very impressive. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Chris D on February 09, 2014, 07:55:50 pm
Smith wasn't the DC last season. He was in 2012.

Dang that research stuff is hard and it bites you in the butt if you get it wrong. So embarrassing.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

FIOG

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 08, 2014, 09:58:00 pm
If you are wondering about recruiting ties and why Robb Smith...NJ produces more NFL players than Louisiana, Alabama, South Carolina and Mississippi. In fact, NJ ranks 6th in the nation in producing NFL players. Might be a good idea to have a guy that can recruit that area.

http://sports-kings.com/downanddistance/states-produce-nfl-players/

I think he might be able to get back on Vinny Ascolese.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FIOG on February 10, 2014, 05:42:34 am
I think he might be able to get back on Vinny Ascolese.

Vinny signed with TCU as a LB, transferring from the College of the Sequoias(CA). 6-2, 235.
Go Hogs Go!

grim_sleeper

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 09, 2014, 11:53:59 pm
Thanks for posting that, New Era. We got 4 guys from Florida and all happened to be a furthest distance from us as possible in Florida. That shows the value of connections over distance.

Yeah,  but after Randy Shannon leaves this sinking ship the connections will be a lot harder.

twistitup

Quote from: secneahog on February 10, 2014, 02:07:59 am
BUT if you post his defensive numbers when he was the DC they are very impressive. 

I got a number - Smith had 2 NFL caliber cb's...but Cobi still got over 300yds receiving . Awesome D game plan and super adjustments...great job Rob.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Pathogen

Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2014, 09:10:17 am
I got a number - Smith had 2 NFL caliber cb's...but Cobi still got over 300yds receiving . Awesome D game plan and super adjustments...great job Rob.

Yeah, in a game in which we were held to 26 points and lost.

LZH

Quote from: swinesation on February 09, 2014, 09:26:15 pm
I talked to your mom, and we agreed you're grounded from posting on hogville for one week.

Ho!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 08, 2014, 11:20:00 pm
Rutgers is joining the Big10 next season. Boston College,Cuse,and Pitt are all in the ACC now. These programs aren't in a small time conferences like the Big East anymore. They have become actual players in well respected national conferences. We will not be able to get a single player worth a darn from that area. A decade ago? Maybe. Now, No chance.

We got a 4 star QB from there last season. 

hawgtime

Quote from: swinesation on February 09, 2014, 09:26:15 pm

nice one!  bring out the Mom.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 09, 2014, 11:34:54 am
I'm not bashing his abilities, I'm simply saying he has nothing in his resume to lead one to believe he is good or bad.  Add to the fact that we only have three coaches on staff with ANY sort of connection within our traditional recruiting footprint, the situation does lend itself worthy of discussion.

You get kids interested in a school via two approaches, connections with the high school/area or track record of putting kids in the NFL.  This guy has neither so it should be understandable why some of us are underwhelmed

Except the ones he put in the NFL.

hawgsalot

Quote from: grim_sleeper on February 10, 2014, 06:17:15 am

Yeah,  but after Randy Shannon leaves this sinking ship the connections will be a lot harder.

HMMMM seems to me Bret sure got a lot of FL guys preshannon so I would assume he's got pretty good connections.  Randy Shannon wants to be and will be a head coach next year regardless of what title he currently holds.  Get that in your head RS will be a head coach next year regardless of what title he currently holds!  Next year is the first year after his buyout conditions and he's gone regardless.

twistitup

Quote from: fvillehog on February 10, 2014, 09:57:14 am
Yeah, in a game in which we were held to 26 points and lost.

Held to? Yes we lost the game, but it wasn't due to Rob Smith- his D gave up huge yardage

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2014, 11:13:58 am
Held to? Yes we lost the game, but it wasn't due to Rob Smith- his D gave up huge yardage

So yardage is more important than points?  Giving up yardage to Cobi and Tyler isn't really that unexpected.  Keeping them from scoring is more important than how many yards you gave up right?  He was also coaching a team with inferior players from an inferior league, but came here and put a whipping on an SEC team.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 10, 2014, 11:16:39 am
So yardage is more important than points?  Giving up yardage to Cobi and Tyler isn't really that unexpected.  Keeping them from scoring is more important than how many yards you gave up right?  He was also coaching a team with inferior players from an inferior league, but came here and put a whipping on an SEC team.

He is a DC. Goal- don't give up yardage and points...he did both. He should go thank the offense for the win. He did not have inferior talent on D- instead he had NFL talent. Did we?

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2014, 11:24:32 am
He is a DC. Goal- don't give up yardage and points...he did both. He should go thank the offense for the win. He did not have inferior talent on D- instead he had NFL talent. Did we?

Yep.  Cobi and Tyler are both in the NFL now.  I know you're not impressed because he didn't hold us to -47 passing yards and -155 rushing yards, but they held our offense to 28 points.  He coached on an inferior team from an inferior league and beat us.  Explain it away all you want, but that's what happened. 

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 10, 2014, 01:19:47 pm
Yep.  Cobi and Tyler are both in the NFL now.  I know you're not impressed because he didn't hold us to -47 passing yards and -155 rushing yards, but they held our offense to 28 points.  He coached on an inferior team from an inferior league and beat us.  Explain it away all you want, but that's what happened. 

So we go hire the guy? Based on beating us?

Losers mentality

Bebop

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 10, 2014, 01:19:47 pm

I don't understand why you would want to "hang-your-hat" on the fact that Rutgers beat an Arkansas team coached by "Smile." I'll acknowledged that Smith might be a good coach, but I'm not going to weigh it against a team that was coached by a temp-squad.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Chris D on February 10, 2014, 01:34:31 pm
I don't understand why you would want to "hang-your-hat" on the fact that Rutgers beat an Arkansas team coached by "Smile." I'll acknowledged that Smith might be a good coach, but I'm not going to weigh it against a team that was coached by a temp-squad.

That's not how I'm weighing him over all.  I'm just saying it's rich for a bunch of guys to question his resume when the team he coached in a lower conference came in and beat us. 

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2014, 11:24:32 am

I think points scored against, third down conversion rate, and takeaways are more important stats than yardage.