Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith and recruiting...

Started by Ugly Uncle, February 08, 2014, 09:58:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

If you are wondering about recruiting ties and why Robb Smith...NJ produces more NFL players than Louisiana, Alabama, South Carolina and Mississippi. In fact, NJ ranks 6th in the nation in producing NFL players. Might be a good idea to have a guy that can recruit that area.

http://sports-kings.com/downanddistance/states-produce-nfl-players/
Retired Radio Host

Coondog Hog

That's some positive info on the situation.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Ugly Uncle

Bielema even mentioned last year that he wanted to recruit NJ more.  So, I guess he went out and hired a guy who could do it.
Retired Radio Host

IBleedRazorbackRed

Been saying this for awhile now. If he brings in 2 Jersey kids a year and helps seal the deal on defensive recruits, he'll be very successful here

secfan30

Well if CBB wanted to recruit up there its nice to see that apparently he had a plan and followed through with it.

Coondog Hog

It make sense to me.  People keep screaming Texas, Louisiana, etc and those states are important, but in those states we are competing with all the of the SEC power houses.  Why not hit on some premier players in a state where you are offering a chance to play in the SEC vs Big 10 or ACC you may miss because of distance some, but you may hit a few 4 & 5 star caliber players that Bama and LSU don't have drive that far to court.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan

hogman78

Adonnis Jennings and Kiy Hester would have been nice in this class...

tophawg19

it's going to be hard to get kids to come that far . To many big schools between us and them  . We would be better off spending our resources in Texas and the SEC region where we are known. CBB  can say recruiting rankings don't mean anything and downplaying them but facts say different . top classes make top teams . And we are in a league where everyone recruits well and hires the best coaches possible . You will see good coaches being fired every year in the SEC  that might be a very good coach in another league . all were doing right now is trying the same things and hoping for different results .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Bebop

Quote from: Coondog Hog on February 08, 2014, 10:13:08 pm
It make sense to me.  People keep screaming Texas, Louisiana, etc and those states are important, but in those states we are competing with all the of the SEC power houses.  Why not hit on some premier players in a state where you are offering a chance to play in the SEC vs Big 10 or ACC you may miss because of distance some, but you may hit a few 4 & 5 star caliber players that Bama and LSU don't have drive that far to court.

True, good point.

Another thing is that recruits from NJ will be use to the cold and may not be as turned off at coming to Arkansas as someone from Florida. Oddly enough, weather may be a factor for some recruits.

Bebop

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 08, 2014, 10:21:23 pm
it's going to be hard to get kids to come that far . To many big schools between us and them  . We would be better off spending our resources in Texas and the SEC region where we are known. CBB  can say recruiting rankings don't mean anything and downplaying them but facts say different . top classes make top teams . And we are in a league where everyone recruits well and hires the best coaches possible . You will see good coaches being fired every year in the SEC  that might be a very good coach in another league . all were doing right now is trying the same things and hoping for different results .

I agree, but if we can pull 2 or 3 quality guys from NJ then it may be worth it.

tophawg19

it will be hard with NOTRE DAME , ohio.state , Michigan. so much closer . it's hard to get a kid to come 2,000 miles to a state most don't know anything about . you would have thought CBB and this staff would have had more success in big ten country than we did . We already have a huge recruiting budget and spend more than most. it might be that Smith can reach up into Canada for some kids that everyone in the south overlooks ? but i'd rather had a d-line coach or a D/C with Texas ties .And the other with Florida ties just in case Randy gets another job
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hawghiggs

Recruiting New Jersey is a waste of time. Way to far away. We need to do a better job in Louisiana,Kansas,Missouri,Oklahoma,and Texas. Auburn,Florida,and Oregon out recruited us in Kansas. Nebraska practicly owns west Missouri.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 08, 2014, 10:36:40 pm
Recruiting New Jersey is a waste of time. Way to far away. We need to do a better job in Louisiana,Kansas,Missouri,Oklahoma,and Texas. Auburn,Florida,and Oregon out recruited us in Kansas. Nebraska practicly owns west Missouri.

I understand this line of thought, but I think New Jersey kids maybe a bit more like Florida kids in the way that they may not be as likely to stick close to home.  Kids from bigger areas tend to be more likely to go on a big adventure and leave the nest more so that kids from smaller towns and rural areas.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

WBC Hog

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 08, 2014, 10:34:52 pm
i'd rather had a d-line coach or a D/C with Texas ties .And the other with Florida ties just in case Randy gets another job

I realize the kind of talent that the state of Texas produces year in and year out. But what does it matter if we get players from Texas, Florida, New Jersey, Arkansas, or anywhere in the country?! Seriously, BB is gonna get the type of guys he wants just about wherever he goes.
Yes I realize there are a few more things to "pitch" to recruits at a place like Texas, like: proximity, playing TTU, playing in Jerry's World, and so on. I just don't understand why everyone is dead set on wanting to recruit Texas so badly.

rocknrollcoastie

I swear some people aren't going to be happy no matter what it's freaking ridiculous but the way grown men whine and biotch on this board is beyond ridiculous....

If you think recruiting New Jersey is a waste of time and we need to hit Louisiana, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas harder or if you want a d-line coach or a D/C with Texas ties or Florida ties then go apply for a damn coaching job otherwise quit biotching and give CRS a chance

I'm sure if CBB was concerned about your thoughts on who he should hire and where we need to recruit he would give Hogville a call since it is just overflowing with football experts
Hard Rock Nights is on the air in 6 continents, 30 countries, over 100 stations and aired over 150 times a week or you can listen anytime anywhere on mixcloud
http://old.mixcloud.com/hardrocknights/

Hard Rock Nights finding tomorrow's classic rock today...it's what we do

reddogjcss

Pathogen

Quote from: rocknrollcoastie on February 08, 2014, 10:53:38 pm
I'm sure if CBB was concerned about your thoughts on who he should hire and where we need to recruit he would give Hogville a call since it is just overflowing with football experts

Little known fact. Since CBB has been here there has been a secret room in the BAC staffed by 6-12 men dedicated to following Hogville whose sole responsibilities are to discern the collective intelligence of Hogville on recruiting, play calling, the hiring of coaches, uniform color, the play of Brandon Allen, and who the next stadium soda provider should be. 

Broadway Rob

Your logic makes some sense for sure.  However, if the kid is 4 star linebacker, I don't care what state he comes from if he comes to Arkansas.

Even if you win, it's really hard to out-recruit powerhouse SEC schools.  You may win a battle here or there but the odds are stacked against you.

Why not try to go after a big time player, who may live farther away, but would love to come play in the best conference in college football?

It's called finding a niche. 

Beilema seems to be trying to find something different that can lessen the dent of low in-state talent and tough regional battles against SEC teams.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

razorbackfaninar

People keep saying, we need a Texas guy so we can recruit Texas. What kind of ties would a coach have to have in order to beat Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Oklahoma, and to a lesser degree Texas Tech for the best recruits in Texas? It's not as easy to recruit Texas as it once was.  And why does everyone think they are the first person to point out that Texas has a lot of D1 recruits, Texas is close to us, and we should really try to recruit Texas. This is not private inside information that the rest of the world is not privy to. Which defensive coordinator should we have hired in order to get all the best recruits in Texas to start lining up?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Coondog Hog on February 08, 2014, 10:47:22 pm
I understand this line of thought, but I think New Jersey kids maybe a bit more like Florida kids in the way that they may not be as likely to stick close to home.  Kids from bigger areas tend to be more likely to go on a big adventure and leave the nest more so that kids from smaller towns and rural areas.
Rutgers is joining the Big10 next season. Boston College,Cuse,and Pitt are all in the ACC now. These programs aren't in a small time conferences like the Big East anymore. They have become actual players in well respected national conferences. We will not be able to get a single player worth a darn from that area. A decade ago? Maybe. Now, No chance.

razorbackfaninar

New jersey may be a waste of time, but recruiting is not the same as it was even 5 years ago. Most major programs are recruiting nationwide. We got recruits from coast to coast this year. It's not as regional as it once was.

cosmodrum

Would NJ kids wanna come all the way down here, though?

This is my concern, dude.
Go away, batin'

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Broadway Rob on February 08, 2014, 11:16:04 pm
Your logic makes some sense for sure.  However, if the kid is 4 star linebacker, I don't care what state he comes from if he comes to Arkansas.

Even if you win, it's really hard to out-recruit powerhouse SEC schools.  You may win a battle here or there but the odds are stacked against you.

Why not try to go after a big time player, who may live farther away, but would love to come play in the best conference in college football?

It's called finding a niche. 

Beilema seems to be trying to find something different that can lessen the dent of low in-state talent and tough regional battles against SEC teams.
Speaking of 4 star line backers. Kenny Young from Louisiana went to UCLA. How can we possibly go to a ACC and Big10 hotbed state and lure a top Linebacker when we can't keep two players in our region from leaving?

Broadway Rob

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 08, 2014, 11:24:46 pm

Sometimes, small town kids wanna get out.  They wanna move to a fast paced bigger city with lots of things to do.  Maybe the opposite it true also.

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

VBMark

it will be hard with NOTRE DAME , ohio.state , Michigan. so much closer . it's hard to get a kid to come 2,000 miles to a state most don't know anything about . you would have thought CBB and this staff would have had more success in big ten country than we did . We already have a huge recruiting budget and spend more than most. it might be that Smith can reach up into Canada for some kids that everyone in the south overlooks ? but i'd rather had a d-line coach or a D/C with Texas ties .And the other with Florida ties just in case Randy gets another job

There are direct flights from Newark, NJ. There aren't direct flights to Ann Arbor or Terra Haute. A few to Columbus. And, more to XNA.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Broadway Rob

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 08, 2014, 11:26:49 pm
Speaking of 4 star line backers. Kenny Young from Louisiana went to UCLA. How can we possibly go to a ACC and Big10 hotbed state and lure a top Linebacker when we can't keep two players in our region from leaving?

Who are the powerhouse teams in that conference though?  Right now, it's Clemson and FSU in the ACC, and OSU and MSU in the Big 10 recently.  So, None of those schools are really in New Jersey's backyard.  Granted some are closer than Fayetteville, but it's a haul either way. 

I would be interested in knowing who is getting the higher rated recruits out of that state right now?  If we could win a few more of those battles, it's worth a try is all I'm saying.

twistitup

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 08, 2014, 10:06:10 pm
Bielema even mentioned last year that he wanted to recruit NJ more.  So, I guess he went out and hired a guy who could do it.

I prefer recruiting Texas better. Is it harder to get a kid to travel 5 hours or 15?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

bennyl08

This is where the SEC comes into play. Do you want to go with ND and play against the likes of Pitt and other schools, or do you want to showcase your talents against the SEC? Do you want live in the miserable weather of Ohio or Michigan or get nicer weather down south? This obviously won't work for every big time recruit up there, but it could very well work for a few of the better recruits.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Broadway Rob

Quote from: twistitup on February 08, 2014, 11:42:42 pm
I prefer recruiting Texas better. Is it harder to get a kid to travel 5 hours or 15?

Good point, but travel distance isn't the only thing recruits look at I'm sure.  I'm a High School teacher and my kids talk about getting as far away from home as they can all the time. 
Whether that's their true heart speaking, I'm not sure.  But the drive to "get out" is stronger in some kids that a person might think.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Last five recruiting classes in New Jersey and which schools got multiple 4 star recruits that class:

2014- 10 four stars. 2 Notre dame, 2 penn state
2013- 11 four stars. 2 Miami, 2 penn state
2012- 8 four stars. 4 rutgers
2011- 10 four stars. 4 rutgers, 2 South Carolina, 2 penn state
2010- 2 four stars. 2 Pitt

Penn state seems to hit that state more than anyone beside rutgers. With franklin there, will that continue?

LZH

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 08, 2014, 11:24:46 pm

It is a loooong ways.  But didn't we have a kid from NJ a few years ago?

WBC Hog

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 09, 2014, 12:22:14 am

Pretty sure you're thinking of Duwop.

LZH

Quote from: WBC Hog on February 09, 2014, 12:45:09 am
Pretty sure you're thinking of Duwop.

I don't think so.  He was a safety if I remember right.

Add:  I cheated.  I got my media guide out from 2012 and went thru it............Matt Marshall - Camden, NJ.

urkillnmesmalls

I think this is priceless.  We have people who are apparently downtrodden over this hire. 

Could someone remind me the LAST TIME we had a defensive coordinator that had: 

1.  A sterling resume that virtually assured that he would be successful here? 

2.  Had amazing recruiting times to Texas, or really any state for that matter?  (I only used Texas, because that's the latest whipping post for BB on HV) 

Did I miss something here?  Would someone explain to me why this hire is being viewed as some sort of big drop off?  I guess if the hopes and dreams of some were to get Butch Davis in to be Def. coordinator, then maybe I would understand it if you knew he actually wanted the job, and if you knew that BB didn't even act interested.  But...it's also reasonable to believe that with his $600K yearly check for watching games, maybe he wasn't as interested as some people may suggest. 

I would never say that I don't think it could get worse, but I don't have any reason to fear that next season should be worse than the previous two.  If they are...I may not make it to November without an aneurysm. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

zane

Fayetteville to Miami = 1300 miles

Fayetteville to NJ = 1200 miles

Distance didn't stop all those Miami kids from signing with us.
RIP LSUfan

koreaben

Quote from: VBMark on February 08, 2014, 11:36:06 pm
There are direct flights from Newark, NJ. There aren't direct flights to Ann Arbor or Terra Haute. A few to Columbus. And, more to XNA.

This was what I was thinking while scrolling down reading.  Those direct flights would make a HUGE difference I would think.  Living overseas, I hate taking connecting flights when there is a direct flight available.  I will pay a bit more to take a 1stop flight, rather than 2 or 3 stops, to get to my parent's house in NWA or my in-laws house in Canada.
Representing the Hogs in a VERY anti pig country.

secneahog

Kiy Hester signed with miami.

Ya'll shut up about Texas. Geez
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Hogvillage Idiot

Your confusing me.  How can you argue against recruiting NJ (which is doing something different), and then say that "all were doing right now is trying the same things"?
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

SamBuckhart

We need nationwide recruiting. NJ area looks ripe. I like this hire. Cant wait to see how the team does this year.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 08, 2014, 11:26:49 pm
Aren't you arguing with your own point with this post? You say top guys aren't going to be willing to travel and then give a perfect example of one who did.

twistitup

Quote from: zane on February 09, 2014, 01:25:59 am
Fayetteville to Miami = 1300 miles

Fayetteville to NJ = 1200 miles

Distance didn't stop all those Miami kids from signing with us.

Dallas to Fville - 350 miles - what the ---- is going on there?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ChitownHawg

As our coaches have said a 100 times - get the kid and family on campus to get a real shot at signing them.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 08, 2014, 11:20:00 pm
Rutgers is joining the Big10 next season. Boston College,Cuse,and Pitt are all in the ACC now. These programs aren't in a small time conferences like the Big East anymore. They have become actual players in well respected national conferences. We will not be able to get a single player worth a darn from that area. A decade ago? Maybe. Now, No chance.

Can you spell hyperbole? I don't know Hogvillians backgrounds, but I can say I wanted as far away from home as I could get when I was 18. I wanted to see the world. In fact many of my friends that I gained as an adult felt the same way.

So if you are basing your opinion on the fact you have not lived far from home your whole life then know there are people who want to leave. Our Mr. Collins is one current case.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: twistitup on February 08, 2014, 11:42:42 pm

Heck we should appease your every desire. What the heck was CBB thinking not consulting you?  :puke:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hogvillage Idiot on February 09, 2014, 02:26:38 am
Your confusing me.  How can you argue against recruiting NJ (which is doing something different), and then say that "all were doing right now is trying the same things"?

Good catch. Some of these guys just read a post and then take the counterpoint. Never looking to see they are speaking out both sides of their mouth.  ;D

bphi11ips

Quote from: fvillehog on February 08, 2014, 11:14:29 pm
Little known fact. Since CBB has been here there has been a secret room in the BAC staffed by 6-12 men dedicated to following Hogville whose sole responsibilities are to discern the collective intelligence of Hogville on recruiting, play calling, the hiring of coaches, uniform color, the play of Brandon Allen, and who the next stadium soda provider should be. 

And before that they spread out in the stands at games to find out what the same people were saying and they bugged offices around the state for the same purpose. 

What do you suggest we talk about here?  How's the weather where you are?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 09, 2014, 06:35:20 am
And before that they spread out in the stands at games to find out what the same people were saying and they bugged offices around the state for the same purpose. 

What do you suggest we talk about here?  How's the weather where you are?

Maybe something intelligent and fact based? Now are you taking the position that hyperbole doesn't flow rapidly through Hogville. You know in every thread there are the same old posters with the same old crap.

If you were at a party and this moaner kept on moaning the same crap - would you continue to stand near him?

Peter Porker

it's going to be hard to get kids to come that far . To many big schools between us and them . We would be better off spending our resources in Texas and the SEC region where we are known. CBB  can say recruiting rankings don't mean anything and downplaying them but facts say different . top classes make top teams . And we are in a league where everyone recruits well and hires the best coaches possible . You will see good coaches being fired every year in the SEC  that might be a very good coach in another league . all were doing right now is trying the same things and hoping for different results .

Trey Boddy used to say the same thing about recruiting Florida.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

birmingHAMette

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 09, 2014, 12:22:14 am
Vincent Ascolese was a recruit from NJ for BP.  He never made it down for whatever reason.
Go Hogs

Kevin

Why are we wasting our time in Minnesota we will never get a guy from there,
Oh snap, ragnow 4* offensive lineman.

Recruit Texas more short distance. Sure worked with Thomas. 

With all the communication technology today recruiting is nationwide   Glad our coach sees that and does not live in the 60-70's.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22