Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Source: Arkansas hires new DC

Started by Michaelt, February 08, 2014, 03:30:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2014, 04:00:28 pm
It's a message board.  If you don't want to read opinions, log off.  Then turn off the television, the radio, get divorced and move to the Yukon.

Beat me to it
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ricepig

Chief Mac

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2014, 04:01:41 pm
We have top flight recruiters.  We need a good schemer, game planner and teacher to develop a system, develop our lower ranked than our comp's recruits over multiple seasons and do a good job planning for our opponents. 

horse stuff.  If Arkansas is going to succeed, it has to have a staff consisted mostly of great recruiters/good at their position.  Until we have a staff full of Pittmans, we will continue to suck hind tit in recruiting.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2014, 04:03:03 pm
We have one top flight recruiter.  Successful SEC coaching staffs are full of them.

Pittman and Shannon.  Thomas is a good recruiter as well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

sickboy

Quote from: Hawgfan27 on February 08, 2014, 03:40:24 pm
Why are people so adamantly against this hire? He's done amazing at every college coaching stop he's been at.

Because they don't know who he is.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: Topcat on February 08, 2014, 03:58:57 pm
Here we go again. What the hell do any of you guys know about hiring assistant coaches? Number of posts on a website don't count.
+1000000000000
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Peter Porker

Quote from: Hawgfan27 on February 08, 2014, 03:40:24 pm
Why are people so adamantly against this hire? He's done amazing at every college coaching stop he's been at.

Because members of Hogville know more than our coaches do.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 03:59:35 pm
we need top flight recruiters.  Smith's credentials do not paint that picture

I would say with coordinators it's coaching first, recruiting second.
With position coaches it's recruiting first, coaching second

sickboy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2014, 04:06:29 pm

Taver Johnson is a solid recruiter as well.

WashUhog6

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2014, 04:01:11 pm
Ash wasn't a very good recruiter.  Partridge was, though.
Not saying he was, but doesn't he have Florida recruiting ties?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 04:06:14 pm
horse stuff.  If Arkansas is going to succeed, it has to have a staff consisted mostly of great recruiters/good at their position.  Until we have a staff full of Pittmans, we will continue to suck hind tit in recruiting.

It won't make much difference if you are going by rankings especially defensively.  Need good evaluators and teachers defensively. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Oklahawg

Shannon wants a HC position. CBB did not want to have him leaving as DC after a year so he gets the Asst HC gig and Smith the DC, where CBB wants a multi-year option.

Rutgers recruited FL and I would guess this helps FL and NJ recruiting.

I find the Butch Davis mention epically silly. I'm sure it makes some Arkansas loyalists happy.

Does Smith fit what CBB wants? Does he mesh with the existing defensive staff? Can he get young players to play fast and not be afraid or tentative? Can he hang out with Shannon and get some of those Miami/Dade County contacts?

We may well have had a legit shot at Bo Davis but we got upstaged, twice.

Count me as a Segrest fan. I think he is going to make it hard for a lot of pessimists to continuing posting on HV one of these days. Not soon enough, but eventually. The NFL experience for Smith will play well on the recruiting trail. I suspect Smith's scheme will largely be vetted by CBB, so we need to not freak out so much.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Wildhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2014, 04:06:29 pm

Shannon is pretty good.  I almost put him there.  He does have outstanding ties down there.

Thomas has been mostly worthless.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Peter Porker

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 04:06:14 pm

And you know he's a bad recruiter how?

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Chief Mac

if we expect to get better talent, we need more coaches on this list.  Our best one was ranked 40th

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/CompositeCoachRankings
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Wildhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 08, 2014, 04:07:40 pm

Smith recruited like one kid from florida, and it was a kicker.  He was almost exclusively in the Northeast.  Mostly NJ.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: OTTER on February 08, 2014, 04:01:08 pm
I'll reserve judgement until he has a couple of years with us.  I've seen some "underwhelming" hires put a good product on the field before and it can happen again.  No one knows enough yet to knock this hire.

+1. If we show improvement and become bowl eligible, I'm good with this hire.
If we are not improved by year three and headed in the right direction it Bielema's job I'll want.
It's CBBs call .

" GO HOGS "

Atlhogfan1

Shannon wants a HC position. CBB did not want to have him leaving as DC after a year so he gets the Asst HC gig and Smith the DC, where CBB wants a multi-year option.

I find the Butch Davis mention epically silly. I'm sure it makes some Arkansas loyalists happy.

Does Smith fit what CBB wants? Does he mesh with the existing defensive staff? Can he get young players to play fast and not be afraid or tentative? Can he hang out with Shannon and get some of those Miami/Dade County contacts?

Count me as a Segrest fan. I think he is going to make it hard for a lot of pessimists to continuing posting on HV one of these days. Not soon enough, but eventually. The NFL experience for Smith will play well on the recruiting trail. I suspect Smith's scheme will largely be vetted by CBB, so we need to not freak out so much.

Have to have multiyear DC's at our program if we hope to be able develop at least competent defenses. 

One improvement I hope to see soon is a defense who gets turnovers. 

The real Hogules

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 08, 2014, 04:06:47 pm
Because members of Hogville know more than our coaches do.

Where some coaches are concerned you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the writing on the wall.
HDN springs to mind when discussing this particular topic.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Scott7703

Would love to be proven wrong but I expect to see much of the same defense we saw this past season with smith calling the shots.

Chief Mac

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 08, 2014, 04:08:54 pm
And you know he's a bad recruiter how?

didn't say he was a bad recruiter, I said his track record does not indicate that recruiting is his strength.  He might end up being that way, who knows but there are guys out there that are known as good DCs and recruiters that have connections to the southeast and Texas

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 04:09:05 pm
if we expect to get better talent, we need more coaches on this list.  Our best one was ranked 40th

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/CompositeCoachRankings

You mean higher rankings.  We might have talent especially once the players develop.  We won't get higher rankings consistently unless the in state gets consistently better. 

hogfan14

"Rutgers ranks in the top 25 nationally in four major defensive statistical categories: scoring defense (fourth, 14.3 ppg), total defense (14th, 321.3 ypg), pass efficiency defense (25th, 115.35) and rushing defense (11th, 105.0 ypg). Rutgers also is tied for fourth nationally with 18 touchdowns allowed and tied for the fourth fewest rushing touchdowns allowed. 

Rutgers is holding opponents to the fourth-lowest single game rushing average since 1950, allowing only 105 rushing yards per game. Only two Rutgers teams (1976 and 1964) have held opponents to less than 100 yards per game since 1950. 

A season of firsts, too: Rutgers held Temple to 191 yards of total offense Oct. 20 at Lincoln Financial Field -- the first time in school history the Scarlet Knights have allowed less than 200 yards in a Big East road game. Then against Cincinnati, Rutgers allowed only three points -- the lowest point total it has allowed to a Big East opponent on the road."

Oliver

Scott7703

Another question is why was this hire not made 3 weeks ago? Smith could have been hired during the dead period.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 08, 2014, 04:11:06 pm
Would love to be proven wrong but I expect to see much of the same defense we saw this past season with smith calling the shots.

Could be likely.  Personnel may not be much better.  This is a multi season rebuild especially on the defensive side no matter who we hired at DC.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2014, 04:11:27 pm
You mean higher rankings.  We might have talent especially once the players develop.  We won't get higher rankings consistently unless the in state gets consistently better. 

I don't believe that.  Sam Pitman doesn't believe that either.  Give me a staff full of guys like him.  Fills his position area with top flight recruits from across the nation.  There are more coaches out there like him and most SEC staffs have three or four of them

Marshfieldhog

Disappointing, we are going to have to out score teams.

Steef

Oliver

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 08, 2014, 04:12:45 pm
Another question is why was this hire not made 3 weeks ago? Smith could have been hired during the dead period.

Great great question

Jek Tono Porkins

Why don't we wait and see the product he puts on the field before we start bashing him?

Oh, and here's a little history lesson for you guys. Here's a list of the Arkansas defensive coordinators the past few years and where they are now:
-Chris Ash (co-DC at Ohio State)
-Paul Haynes (head coach at Kent State, will probably be fired in a few years)
-Willy Robinson (nowhere)
-Reggie Herring (Chicago Bears LB coach)
-Dave Wommack (Ole Miss co-DC)
-John Thompson (DC at Arkansas State)
-Keith Burns (who the hell knows)

Where does a big-time DC fit in there? Arkansas's DC is not a good job. It's especially not a good job coming off a 3-9 season and fielding one of the worst defenses in the SEC. Just the way it is.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

ricepig

Quote from: MorrellHog on February 08, 2014, 04:09:41 pm
+1. If we show improvement and become bowl eligible, I'm good with this hire.
If we are not improved by year three and headed in the right direction it Bielema's job I'll want.
It's CBBs call .

" GO HOGS "

I agree, it's Bielema's neck on the line, he gets to hire who he wants and can.

seasonhog

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2014, 04:09:19 pm
Smith recruited like one kid from florida, and it was a kicker.  He was almost exclusively in the Northeast.  Mostly NJ.

I understand that we would like to be the Harvard of the south.

Maybe these decision points in that direction.

Steef

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 08, 2014, 04:14:10 pm

?

Pretty sure that's true...regardless.

Hawgzinbowlz

... so we need to not freak out so much.

You were making sense before this. LOL

" GO HOGS "

Chief Mac

this hire could have been made weeks ago

goodguytex

I as a fan am disappointed in this hire if it is Smith. But I'm a dumb fan who doesn't know much that's going on and who is best for the job so I will bite my tongue and expect improvement. If it doesn't happen changes will need to be made.

Atlhogfan1

When was the last time we didn't?  SWC?  1970's?  Maybe even pre integration?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 04:17:41 pm

It may have been. Why do you care when it was announced?

IBleedRazorbackRed

That is the goal of the game

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: steefhog on February 08, 2014, 04:16:49 pm
?

Pretty sure that's true...regardless.

LOL  Great thread on a gray day .

" GO HOGS "

rusvegashog

No sarcasm serious question. I always read people on here talking about certain coaches recruiting abilities or liabilities. How would you know how Taver, Shannon or Now Robb Smith is in a living room w a potential recruit and his family?

ricepig

Hell, we'll just be happy around here to score.......

rhames

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 04:17:41 pm

To me it's obvious why it wasn't. Don't let some of these people spin it. Smiths name popped up right after ash left

Smith was Bret's first choice but wanted to hold out for an nfl job that he didn't get

The guy at Memphis, Odem(IMO who we should have went with) was the backup plan

If true, I would have told smith peace and the offer was off the table

Not having a dc hurt us in recruiting.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 04:11:07 pm
didn't say he was a bad recruiter, I said his track record does not indicate that recruiting is his strength.  He might end up being that way, who knows but there are guys out there that are known as good DCs and recruiters that have connections to the southeast and Texas

Maybe those guys aren't a good fit. If Bielema hires Smith then we should back him. Did Bielema suddenly forget what makes a great assistant coach?

Peter Porker

Quote from: rhames on February 08, 2014, 04:21:11 pm

To me it's obvious why it wasn't. Don't let some of these people spin it. Smiths name popped up right after ash left

Smith was Bret's first choice but wanted to hold out for an nfl job

Who did we lose because we didn't have a DC. Specific names and quotes please.

ricepig

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 08, 2014, 04:22:14 pm
Maybe those guys aren't a good fit. If Bielema hires Smith then we should back him. Did Bielema suddenly forget what makes a great assistant coach?

It's not a big name higher, the masses won't care if he's great, he doesn't have the name.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on February 08, 2014, 04:21:11 pm

Smith was Bret's first choice but wanted to hold out for an nfl job

How did it hurt recruiting?  This reminds me of Nutt's defenders saying the NCAA investigation cost us recruits when it was only ever proven one may have been swayed - Montgomery. 

Who did we lose because of it?  Thomas to Stanford or the Miami kid to Miami? 

hoggusamoungus

rhames

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 08, 2014, 04:23:17 pm
Who did we lose because we didn't have a DC. Specific names and quotes please.

Do you really think it didn't hurt?

"Hey guys. Come play defense here. I can't tell you who your coordinator will be"

How about this. Not having a dc didn't help us in the recruiting.