Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Source: Arkansas hires new DC

Started by Michaelt, February 08, 2014, 03:30:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Mac

Quote from: secneahog on February 09, 2014, 06:52:16 pm
How about criticize a hire after you see how the coach performs?.

Just bc he didn't hire a guy that's a dc at the power house university of memphis doesn't give you the right to down play our current Dc.

But I understand there is people in this world that if their not complaining they aren't living.

so we should always sing the same song and be on the same sheet of music rather than cuss/discuss on a message board?

mmmkay
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

Quote from: dynastyhog on February 09, 2014, 08:11:23 pm
My lady is a Clemson fan.  She cheers for the Hogs but I don't cheer for Clemson.   ;D

its Clemson....I can understand!  ;)
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

Quote from: Styflin on February 09, 2014, 08:26:22 pm
Everyone gets it. You don't like the hire. I repeat everyone gets it. You have made your stance known. We all get it. Can you please take a break now? Grab some water and watch some tv or something.

sure thing buddy!  Thanks for being the Hogville hall monitor!  Great job, gold star for you

Chief Mac

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 09, 2014, 09:11:55 pm
You're not disappointed because the hire is "underwhelming" or "bad." You're disappointed because you didn't get the specific guy you wanted.

thanks for reading my mind!  No, I would have not question any hire that had a resume that was robust and/or had the right connections.  There are a number of guys I would have loved to see get hired.  I will say that Odom was my favorite because of his recruiting abilities and the success he had at Mizzou and Memphis.  His resume was similar to Smith, so there isn't much there to indicate he could be the answer long term but I like his recruiting.  My disappointment is not about not getting a big name.  For the record, I have never said its a bad hire.  But lets not stop that from you and others bashing me for speaking my opinion and defending it repeatively in response to others.

As stated, I hope Robb Smith is the second coming of Saban and makes the Hogs a defensive power.  Nothing would make me happier to say that I was wrong when I called this a "underwhelming hire".  I man up when I'm wrong and won't have a problem after seeing results on the field

Chief Mac

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 10, 2014, 07:27:08 am
You think Chip Kelly had traditional recruiting ties to Oregon when they hired him away from New Hampshire?

do you know the make-up of the Oregon staff when they hired Kelly?  Did they need a coach with recruiting ties?

You're smart enough to know that each situation/hiring is unique.  One is not the same as another.  Perhaps Kelly being hired was a similar situation, perhaps not.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 10, 2014, 07:54:39 am
do you know the make-up of the Oregon staff when they hired Kelly?  Did they need a coach with recruiting ties?

You're smart enough to know that each situation/hiring is unique.  One is not the same as another.  Perhaps Kelly being hired was a similar situation, perhaps not.

And you're smart enough to know that you don't know 5% of what went into Coach Bielema's decision in hiring Smith over other candidates.

What I don't get is you know this is the same guy that hired Chaney, Pittman, Partridge,  Shannon, etc yet you don't trust him on this hire.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Chief Mac

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 10, 2014, 08:02:04 am

And you're smart enough to know that you don't know 5% of what went into Coach Bielema's decision in hiring Smith over other candidates.

What I don't get is you know this is the same guy that hired Chaney, Pittman, Partridge,  Shannon, etc yet you don't trust him on this hire.

You're right.  He does have a track record of hiring quality assistants.  It just struck me as an odd choice given we only have one guy on staff with any relationships with Texas high schools and only three with ties to any state in our traditional recruiting areas. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 10, 2014, 08:31:32 am
You're right.  He does have a track record of hiring quality assistants.  It just struck me as an odd choice given we only have one guy on staff with any relationships with Texas high schools and only three with ties to any state in our traditional recruiting areas.

Our traditional recruiting areas have not gotten us to the next level in recruiting.  Maybe a new focus on New Jersey (which is a huge recruiting area) is a better option.  Texas now has four major schools to contend with in recruiting and a few smaller schools like Houston as well.  Maybe New Jersey connections can help us widen our recruiting base.  I'll trust that CBB has a plan. 

secfan30

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 10, 2014, 08:31:32 am

I will always believe Texas has to be recruited hard. What I am wondering is, the traditional recruiting areas you mention, have not given us any type of championship since 1989. Maybe the hires with different recruiting region ties is a way to get a few people to get us there that we would never have a shot at before.

Just a thought and like everyone else on the board I could be wrong.

Chief Mac

Quote from: secfan30 on February 10, 2014, 08:36:46 am
I will always believe Texas has to be recruited hard. What I am wondering is, the traditional recruiting areas you mention, have not given us any type of championship since 1989. Maybe the hires with different recruiting region ties is a way to get a few people to get us there that we would never have a shot at before.

Just a thought and like everyone else on the board I could be wrong.

count me as one of those that believe we can't do what we've done for years and not expect the same results.  We do have to get creative in our recruiting which is why I'm estatic we are giving more than just lip service to recruiting in south Florida and having success.  Arkansas will have to recruit nationally in order to increase our talent level.  Furthering the Florida pipeline and opening up NJ further is not a bad thing at all.  That being said, while I'm against relying solely on Texas and instate talent as our primary sources, we still need to pull about 5 kids, on average, from Texas each year.  Too much talent and, as some others have stated, a large number of our current students come from there.  The location makes it easy for athletes and their parents.  Neglecting Texas is not something we should do. 

Anyways, I'm anxious to see what Smith can do with our defense.  If the guy gets us to top 25 level performance, he is worth double what he is going to get paid

LZH

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 10, 2014, 07:44:24 am
sure thing buddy!  Thanks for being the Hogville hall monitor!  Great job, gold star for you

:)

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on February 09, 2014, 03:34:32 pm
Better candidates in your eyes, not coach's

Not necessarily.   Lesser candidates get hired all the time over better candidates.   Personalities, perceived power threats, GOBN, etc.   Better rethink that.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 10, 2014, 08:02:04 am

Was this Bielema's first choice? I don't know, but I believe this guy will be good. I also believe, based on Bielema's comments, that Ash and Bielema agreed to part ways because Bielema and Ash wanted different things from the defense. I believe that Bielema wanted more of an attacking/pressure style of defense instead of laying against the ropes and taking body shots like we did last year. Smith knows how to teach this and recruit to that style of defense.
Go Hogs Go!

opineonswine

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 11, 2014, 06:02:58 am
Was this Bielema's first choice? I don't know, but I believe this guy will be good. I also believe, based on Bielema's comments, that Ash and Bielema agreed to part ways because Bielema and Ash wanted different things from the defense. I believe that Bielema wanted more of an attacking/pressure style of defense instead of laying against the ropes and taking body shots like we did last year. Smith knows how to teach this and recruit to that style of defense.

Crystal clear to me. 

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 10, 2014, 08:44:17 am
count me as one of those that believe we can't do what we've done for years and not expect the same results.  We do have to get creative in our recruiting which is why I'm estatic we are giving more than just lip service to recruiting in south Florida and having success.  Arkansas will have to recruit nationally in order to increase our talent level.  Furthering the Florida pipeline and opening up NJ further is not a bad thing at all.  That being said, while I'm against relying solely on Texas and instate talent as our primary sources, we still need to pull about 5 kids, on average, from Texas each year.  Too much talent and, as some others have stated, a large number of our current students come from there.  The location makes it easy for athletes and their parents.  Neglecting Texas is not something we should do. 

Anyways, I'm anxious to see what Smith can do with our defense.  If the guy gets us to top 25 level performance, he is worth double what he is going to get paid

We get that you think we should hit Texas a little harder, but I don't get why you think we should pull 20% of each class from that state, when we could be getting better talent in other parts of the country than the 20% you are wanting to pull from Texas.

bp

GlassofSwine

I definitely agree with Bielema and Ash parting ways being mutual. I think this is part of the learning curve of BB coming to the SEC. Bringing Ash with him from Wisconsin he obviously liked him as a coach but I think he realized this year our defense couldn't play that style and be successful.

Peter Porker

This was a fun topic to read while sitting on the toilet.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Wildhog

Quote from: Peter Porker on November 21, 2014, 02:04:56 pm
This was a fun topic to read while sitting on the toilet.

Good Lord I was on the ledge, recruiting-wise.

Those were some dark times.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm sure I had a negative Robb Smith post in there somewhere.  Thank you Robb Smith for proving me wrong.  Credit Coach Smith for the job he has done and Coach B for having an eye for coaching talent.  Very good article on Smith today in the ADG.

Can't imagine anyone coming in in less than a year and doing a better job.  Now if Jim Chaney could only prove me wrong I'd be so happy.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ifghog

Lord you were sure spot on!

aar0n

This is a perfect lesson on not jumping to conclusions before you know anything about a coach/person.  Hogville wouldn't be Hogville without knee-jerk reactions by people who are clueless about the situation.

Wildhog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 21, 2014, 02:29:41 pm
I'm sure I had a negative Robb Smith post in there somewhere.  Thank you Robb Smith for proving me wrong.  Credit Coach Smith for the job he has done and Coach B for having an eye for coaching talent.  Very good article on Smith today in the ADG.

Can't imagine anyone coming in in less than a year and doing a better job.  Now if Jim Chaney could only prove me wrong I'd be so happy.

I didn't have a problem with his x's and o's.  Rutgers always seemed to be able to do more with less on D.  Now, I was still reeling from losing Partridge, and very worried about our recruiting ties in S Florida.
1909/1964/1965/1977

elksnort

I was happy to see that my post #184 was a wait and see approach. 

Wildhog

Glad to see I never gave him any crap on actually running a defense.  I was just concerned about recruiting, considering we lost Partridge.  Can't remember if this was after the Segrest hire.  That would have added fuel.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hoggie17

Quote from: Wildhog on November 21, 2014, 02:40:27 pm
Glad to see I never gave him any crap on actually running a defense.  I was just concerned about recruiting, considering we lost Partridge.  Can't remember if this was after the Segrest hire.  That would have added fuel.
I never made a comment, but he like Mike Anderson had been successful at every stop. 

jmb1973

Middle finger to whoever bumped this!!!! OMG I saw the thread title at the top of MMQB and almost started breaking things.

Smokehouse

This thread popping back up scared me to death. I thought something had happened to Robb Smith.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

TMc

Maybe now.., we can all agree the Bielema knows what he's looking for in a coach. 

ZERO

Quote from: aar0n on November 21, 2014, 02:35:22 pm
This is a perfect lesson on not jumping to conclusions before you know anything about a coach/person.  Hogville wouldn't be Hogville without knee-jerk reactions by people who are clueless about the situation.

Any time there's any moderate shakeup of any kind, a bunch of morons will always spew some venom and then later act like nothing happened when they're wrong.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

RazorPiggie

Quote from: TMc on November 21, 2014, 03:02:31 pm
Maybe now.., we can all agree the Bielema knows what he's looking for in a coach. 

Exactly. Chris was pretty fired up in this thread.

jgphillips3

Whoever revived this should be killed for the heart attack I nearly had when I thought we lost Robb Smith.

redeye

Quote from: ifghog on November 21, 2014, 02:32:35 pm
Lord you were sure spot on!

He certainly was.  And I can remember reading that and really hoping he would be right.  I'm still not sure if Smith is a good recruiter, but at this point, does anyone really care anymore?  I think it goes to show how important coaching is to the game of football, although some will always believe that stars are all that matter.

IBleedRazorbackRed

I'm relieved to see I wasn't a Robb Smith badger like some folks were. No crow eating for me

jgphillips3

Quote from: redeye on November 21, 2014, 03:10:45 pm
He certainly was.  And I can remember reading that and really hoping he would be right.  I'm still not sure if Smith is a good recruiters, but at this point, does anyone really care anymore?  I think it goes to show how important coaching is to the game of football, although some will always believe that stars are all that matter.

Hey, anyone that can coach defense like that can skip recruiting for all I care.  I haven't seen a Razorback defense this fundamentally sound since at least the Goldsmith days.

razorbackinva

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 21, 2014, 03:07:47 pm
Whoever revived this should be killed for the heart attack I nearly had when I thought we lost Robb Smith.

I agree.... I was like just when we had a glimpse of hope...  LOL

Hog1966

QuoteWhoever revived this should be killed for the heart attack I nearly had when I thought we lost Robb Smith.

I agree!!! Unbump!!!!  :o

DLUXHOG

Ironic.... but we never know what we've got till its gone.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Peter Porker

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 21, 2014, 02:46:45 pm
This thread popping back up scared me to death. I thought something had happened to Robb Smith.

Lol!!!!! I didn't even think about that. Sorry, fellas.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TMc on November 21, 2014, 03:02:31 pm

Robb Smith, Clay Jennings, Randy Shannon, Sam Pittman.... yeah, I trust Bielema.

Cinco de Hogo

Something else ironic about this thread.  Who are the one going ballistic when a poster mentions that there might be a shakeup on the offensive side after the season is over. The LSU game might be an indicator of great things to come or the next 2-3 games might be more of the same.  Who knows but right now I still say we might see something happen at QB/WR/RB.  When that thread starts it will probably look just like this one, lol!

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 21, 2014, 03:21:50 pm
Robb Smith, Clay Jennings, Randy Shannon, Sam Pittman.... yeah, I trust Bielema.

Have talked about this several times at work.  He really does seem to know how to pick assistants. 

I was cautiously optimistic when we hired CBB, and at times last year I had my concerns.  But I have become a huge CBB fan this season.  I'm all in. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

secneahog

Quote from: secneahog on February 08, 2014, 05:13:32 pm
2012 Rutgers defense ranked 4th in scoring..6th in the run..  10 overall. 

If we can get our defense to that point I'll be super happy.

Ya'll keep bashing the guy.. just shows your ignorance

Bam.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 10, 2014, 07:37:00 am
LZ we do have an agenda.....wanting the Hogs to be successful.  On that, we will always be in agreeance :)
Umm, that is not a real word
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Wildhog on November 21, 2014, 03:27:57 pm
Have talked about this several times at work.  He really does seem to know how to pick assistants. 

I was cautiously optimistic when we hired CBB, and at times last year I had my concerns.  But I have become a huge CBB fan this season.  I'm all in. 

I think for the most part good assistants want to come work for him as well for several reasons.

1.  He's not a total d***
2.  He's not a micromanager.
3.  He's actually a pretty decent/fun guy.
4.  He's not a glory hog.  He gives the assistants credit when deserved.
5.  He's loyal.
6.  Has had coaches leave to be HC's.
7.  He is a straight shooter.  He's not two faced, won't throw you under the bus, but I'm sure he lays out reasonable expectations.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2014, 05:44:11 pm
Has it?  Another solid hire by BB.  This guy has done great things at every stop.
This guy gets it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Peter Porker

Pork Twain

This thread is exactly why I tell my daughters to NEVER sext boys because once it is out there, it can never be taken back.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 21, 2014, 03:07:47 pm
I second that. Even if the replacement had been Muschamp or Kirby Smart, I still would be upset to lose Robb Smith. I guess that says a lot for Robb.