Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Source: Arkansas hires new DC

Started by Michaelt, February 08, 2014, 03:30:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

secneahog

2012 Rutgers defense ranked 4th in scoring..6th in the run..  10 overall. 

If we can get our defense to that point I'll be super happy.

Ya'll keep bashing the guy.. just shows your ignorance
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Bebop

Quote from: thefisher on February 08, 2014, 05:10:34 pm
Not sure. However, I do remember the final score and who won. HINT - it wasn't the Hogs..... it was the team with Robb Smith calling the defense. Just sayin'.

Oh please. You or I could have called that defense against the Hogs. If he beat a Bobby offense, then I would be more impressed. He beat Smile's team.

rhames

Quote from: thefisher on February 08, 2014, 05:10:34 pm
Not sure. However, I do remember the final score and who won. HINT - it wasn't the Hogs..... it was the team with Robb Smith calling the defense. Just sayin'.

You're right. Should have just hired Monroe's dc.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: secneahog on February 08, 2014, 05:13:32 pm

That defense had nfl talent

He didn't build it and was dc for one year.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

rzrbackramsfan

Rutgers have a sick defense with not that much talent.  Learned from a great defensive mind in schiano and is apparently charismatic.  I'm excited for the blitzes and agressive d were about to have.

Bebop

It is a positive that he had a good defense at D1 school. However, he was the DC for only one year. It's hard to judge whether he would be a good or bad DC because he hasn't coached at D1 school for more than a year.

From a recruiting perspective, I would have liked to have a DC that has southern ties.

Chief Mac

Quote from: rhames on February 08, 2014, 05:16:02 pm

This
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

thefisher

Quote from: rhames on February 08, 2014, 04:21:11 pm

To me it's obvious why it wasn't. Don't let some of these people spin it. Smiths name popped up right after ash left

Smith was Bret's first choice but wanted to hold out for an nfl job that he didn't get

The guy at Memphis, Odem(IMO who we should have went with) was the backup plan

If true, I would have told smith peace and the offer was off the table

Not having a dc hurt us in recruiting.

Not bashing ... just asking.  Specifically name even one recruit that the Hogs lost over not having the DC named until now.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Chief Mac

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 08, 2014, 05:12:39 pm
Would like to know who else was offered the job.

Not gonna happen but would be nice
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

weresoclose

Hawgzinbowlz

Hogville needs to find a tissue sponsor. The demographics are in place.

" GO HOGS "

IBleedRazorbackRed

But he was on staff when they were getting the nfl talent, so maybe the guy can recruit

hogcard1964

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 08, 2014, 05:04:47 pm
Still not convinced it's accurate.  100% anyway.

You haven't read the school's announcement?

secneahog

He spent 4 years there working with the linebackers, special teams then secondary. He was good enough to get promoted to dc in his last year. Then go to the nfl to coach linebackers.

You act like he just popped in one year as the dc then left. If I remember correctly the linebackers were awesome when we played them in 2012.  He did coach those linebackers, that is a fact.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ricepig

4me2know

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 03:37:43 pm
awesome....looks like a very "Murray st mafia" type hire

[attachment deleted by admin]

secneahog

Quote from: Chris D on February 08, 2014, 05:18:57 pm
It is a positive that he had a good defense at D1 school. However, he was the DC for only one year. It's hard to judge whether he would be a good or bad DC because he hasn't coached at D1 school for more than a year.

From a recruiting perspective, I would have liked to have a DC that has southern ties.

He was at Rutgers for 4 years????? Every position he coached excelled ...What else do you have to know??

Lake City Hog

Someone on page 1 made the comment that it really didn't matter about the DC because BB had his hand on the defense anyway. I fear that he is right and we will continue to see a passive style of play.

Is it just a tiny bit possible that Shannon knew this too and decided to pass on the job for that reason? A passive style of defense in the SEC will not get him noticed for any HC opportunities.

Danny J

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 03:59:35 pm
we need top flight recruiters.  Smith's credentials do not paint that picture
Correct.....

Our biggest obstacle here in Arkansas is recruiting. Maybe one day someone on the hill will figure that out. Better be able to go get or attract those players if we want to CONSISTENTLY play for SEC titles. 

The_Iceman

Thank you.

Atlhogfan1

Still waiting for an answer as to why some of you expected what you think is a BIGTIME hire or are disappointed when our DC job isn't a BIGTIME job or even a good job. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

thefisher

Quote from: rhames on February 08, 2014, 05:15:17 pm

You're right. Should have just hired Monroe's dc.

Well ... if Monroes DC had NFL defensive experience, been DC for a team that ranked 4th in scoring, 6th in the run, and 10th overall then you would have a point.

However, unlike Monroes DC this hire actually has those things on his resume.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Bebop

Quote from: secneahog on February 08, 2014, 05:27:34 pm
He was at Rutgers for 4 years????? Every position he coached excelled ...What else do you have to know??

I'm not taking that away from him. That's great, but I wish he had more DC experience at the D1 level. I'm taking a wait and see approach. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little underwhelmed based on his lack of experience and recruiting ties to the south.

Maybe he will be great for us and his recruiting ties in the NorthEast may help us.

secneahog

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on February 08, 2014, 05:28:57 pm
Correct.....

Our biggest obstacle here in Arkansas is recruiting. Maybe one day someone on the hill will figure that out. Better be able to go get or attract those players if we want to CONSISTENTLY play for SEC titles.

Judge a coach on his 3rd year recruiting class. Maybe you spoke to soon. 2015 is going to be the best Arkansas has EVER had..If that happened you need to eat your words.

rhames

Quote from: thefisher on February 08, 2014, 05:20:42 pm
Not bashing ... just asking.  Specifically name even one recruit that the Hogs lost over not having the DC named until now.

I will say it again

How did it help?

What doesn't help you hurts you.

Do you think other staffs weren't constantly bringing it up?

Why not make this higher earlier?

You can't convince me that not having a coordinator for the weakest aspect of the team helped recruiting

Hogman2

Quote from: weresoclose on February 08, 2014, 05:22:44 pm
Was Butch Davis available?
HE WILL CONTINUE TO BE AVAILABLE BECAUSE HE IS TOO OLD NOW!

Bebop

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2014, 05:29:53 pm
Still waiting for an answer as to why some of you expected what you think is a BIGTIME hire or are disappointed when our DC job isn't a BIGTIME job or even a good job.

It doesn't have to a big time hire, but one that would have more experience and connections to the South.

Bebop

Quote from: Hogman2 on February 08, 2014, 05:32:56 pm
HE WILL CONTINUE TO BE AVAILABLE BECAUSE HE IS TOO OLD NOW!

Tell that to Saban and Carroll.

rhames

Quote from: thefisher on February 08, 2014, 05:30:30 pm
Well ... if Monroes DC had NFL defensive experience, been DC for a team that ranked 4th in scoring, 6th in the run, and 10th overall then you would have a point.

However, unlike Monroes DC this hire actually has those things on his resume.

His nfl experience was in a staff that got fired.

I hope this is a great hire. I just question the timing and other things. It's ok for me to do that just as it is on for you to be happy about it

WichitaStateRazorback

Im even less impressed with this than I would have been with odom

The NewEra

Just a crazy thought here, but wouldn't it make sense to let him coach here for a while before you people tar and feather him and run him off?  So far it's not even official and a lot of you experts are asking for his head.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 04:50:18 pm
Its hard to be reasonable when I look at this guy's resume.  Sorry, but this is Bielema hiring a guy he knows from back in the day, not necessarily going after the best available.  Maybe the guy turns out to be gangbusters good but based on his experience, there is nothing to indicate that he will be

There was nothing to say that Malzahn would be any good coming from Springdale HS and now half of Hogville worships him like a God. The Hogville mentality is the same as Dan Snyder, always going for the perceived home-run hire. I doubt most posters on this board can name half of the DC's in the SEC yet they gripe when a hire is made. To the delusional posters here there were only 2 or 3 hires Bielema could have made that would have made them happy.

elksnort

Quote from: Hawgfan27 on February 08, 2014, 03:40:24 pm
Why are people so adamantly against this hire? He's done amazing at every college coaching stop he's been at.
Because people on Hogville know so much. 

Who knows. The guy might be a dud, but maybe not.

ricepig

Quote from: lchog on February 08, 2014, 05:27:50 pm
Someone on page 1 made the comment that it really didn't matter about the DC because BB had his hand on the defense anyway. I fear that he is right and we will continue to see a passive style of play.

Is it just a tiny bit possible that Shannon knew this too and decided to pass on the job for that reason? A passive style of defense in the SEC will not get him noticed for any HC opportunities.

Did you read Bielema's statement on the hire, that Smith plays an attacking style that is built to stop SEC offenses.

rhames

Quote from: WichitaStateRazorback on February 08, 2014, 05:35:32 pm
Im even less impressed with this than I would have been with odom

Odom showed progress on rebuilt a defense and has recruiting ties to the south.

If our defense was already clicking and playing at least average I would love this hire.

secneahog

Quote from: Chris D on February 08, 2014, 05:30:59 pm
I'm not taking that away from him. That's great, but I wish he had more DC experience at the D1 level. I'm taking a wait and see approach. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little underwhelmed based on his lack of experience and recruiting ties to the south.

Maybe he will be great for us and his recruiting ties in the NorthEast may help us.

I would like to agree with you on something. But how can you say the guy can't recruit in the south?. . Bc he's coached in New jersey? 
I remember the same chatter when Bielema was hired.

I do know my Chicago Bears used their 1st round draft pick on a linebacker from Rutgers that is really good. Coach Smith coached him all the way through college. 
If we can get that type of coaching to our players then I don't care if their from NJ...Cali..Texas..Florida. .I do not care!

Bebop

Quote from: The NewEra on February 08, 2014, 05:35:54 pm
Just a crazy thought here, but wouldn't it make sense to let him coach here for a while before you people tar and feather him and run him off?  So far it's not even official and a lot of you experts are asking for his head.

I'm not calling for his head. I'm a little concerned but will wait-and-see.

rlreev01

I was hoping for a " big name" hire like everyone was. That being said, Coach B has the pulsa on the team and the staff so his decision is the best person to make the call. In addition, it's his job. If he fails with hires then he's failing as a coach. Let Coach Smith and Coach B along to do their jobs. If they fail, then everybody suffers the consequences.

Uncommon

I think it's perfectly fine that some people agree and some disagree with the hire.  I myself like the hire.  However, I think we can all agree that the question to be asked here is: Why make the official announcement so gosh darn late?

If he was going to hire Robb Smith all along, I felt like he should've announced it no later than February 1 because of NSD being right around the corner.

rhames

I don't think anyone has bashed him or said he was horrible just question the fit.

As Bret said he knows his staff room better than anyone and I will trust him in that, but that won't stop be from looking at the hire from an objective point of view.

rhames

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on February 08, 2014, 05:39:01 pm
I think it's perfectly fine that some people agree and some disagree with the hire.  I myself like the hire.  However, I think we can all agree that the question to be asked here is: Why make the official announcement so gosh darn late?

Agree with this 100%

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2014, 04:00:28 pm
It's a message board.  If you don't want to read opinions, log off.  Then turn off the television, the radio, get divorced and move to the Yukon.
Well I think he was giving his opinion on this comment.This is a message board right? So if posters don't agree with your opinion we should log off? I think you post just to post.Your comments always lack facts!
I love off season Football!!

hogcard1964

I also hope it's a false report.

Hawg Life

Smith has had top 10 D in the past.. We were ranked 89th in D last year .. This is a great hire. Shannon approved of this hire.. Not a flashy name, but a solid hire. DC's rarely recruit this hire will give Shannon more time to recruit. It makes sense in EVERY way!

rhames

rljjr

So you weren't happy with Ash and wanted him gone. Now he's gone. Still not happy. You wanted a DC named. One is named. Still not happy. You say he doesn't have enough experience to judge him on, yet you judge him. You say he did it with somebody else's talent, yet he did it. You're still not impressed. Some of you who claim he doesn't have the background or experience were just fine hiring a certain HS coach as OC, then screamed when he left. Some of you said we couldn't hire RS to be the new DC until 1 Feb due to a contract issue with Miami and you were ok with that. Smith is announced 8 Feb and it is rumored he had a similar type one-year contract anniversary date issue but don't understand what took so long.

I don't know if this new DC will be successful or not. I don't the details of his prior employment contract. I don't know why it took until today to announce. But I'm fairly certain those who need to know do know. I guess I will reserve my judgment until I see the results on the field.

Bebop

Quote from: secneahog on February 08, 2014, 05:37:37 pm
I would like to agree with you on something. But how can you say the guy can't recruit in the south?. . Bc he's coached in New jersey? 
I remember the same chatter when Bielema was hired.

I do know my Chicago Bears used their 1st round draft pick on a linebacker from Rutgers that is really good. Coach Smith coached him all the way through college. 
If we can get that type of coaching to our players then I don't care if their from NJ...Cali..Texas..Florida. .I do not care!

It's easier to have access to recruits if a coach already has an established base with certain schools. Does Smith have those kind of connections in the South? Granted, BB and other coaches can help Smith with the transition, but it would have been easier and possibly better if Smith already had those connections.

As far as his coaching prowess is concerned, maybe he is undiscovered genius that hasn't had his chance to shine. By appearance, he seems to be a solid coach. However, how will that translate to being a DC in the SEC? Having more experience as a DC would help his cause more and people wouldn't question the hire as much. Like I said, I'm going to to take a wait-and-see approach. I hope it turns out to be a homerun hire.

ricepig

razorbackchamps94

Be tough to do that in the SEC .. I hope he can