Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Source: Arkansas hires new DC

Started by Michaelt, February 08, 2014, 03:30:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelt

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Wildhog

Defensive recruiting has taken a huge hit this offseason.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

TheRazorbackGuy

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Hognspace

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2014, 03:33:46 pm

The future recruiting or the past class? 

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgfan27

Why are people so adamantly against this hire? He's done amazing at every college coaching stop he's been at.

greenie

Well, was hoping for Randy or Butch...but I guess I'm just looking for a splash.  But what the h*ll do I know.  I'll do my best to get behind him.  I need to be fair and research his past performance.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 03:37:43 pm
awesome....looks like a very "Murray st mafia" type hire

If so it would be CBB first such hire. Don't forget the Carroll College Mafia.

Chief Mac

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on February 08, 2014, 03:35:42 pm
Who the (blank) is Robb Smith?

looks like a guy that worked with Bielema at Iowa

http://www.scarletknights.com/football/coaches/smith.asp

Underwhelming hire.  Bielema is doing a great job of proving his detractors right
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawgfan27 on February 08, 2014, 03:40:24 pm
Why are people so adamantly against this hire? He's done amazing at every college coaching stop he's been at.

There's really not a lot of data to support that.  He did what's been about average at RU for the past few years.  Hell, Cobi Hamilton by himself went for 10 receptions and 303 yards on him in 2012.  And he had like five draft picks on that 2012 defense.

That said, my beef is mainly with recruiting.  As a coach, I'm sure he's fine.  I do think y'all may be hyping him up a little much, though.  He's only got one year as DC on the FBS level under his belt.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Chief Mac

because there are better options out there and we need a coach with connections in Texas.

SNORTZENHOGGER

Kinda like waiting in line at McDonald's and when you finally get up to order and they are all out of Quarter pounders... and all they have left is the filet-o-fish sandwiches... kind of a let down... guess we will have to wait and see on this hire.
Bobby, Fools'ball is from the devil... Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like HOGVILLE, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama. "HOGVILLE POSTERS" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2014, 03:33:46 pm

No it didn't. 

Quote from: SNORTZENHOGGER on February 08, 2014, 03:44:44 pm
Kinda like waiting in line at McDonald's and when you finally get up to order and they are all out of Quarter pounders... and all they have left is the filet-o-fish sandwiches... kind of a let down... guess we will have to wait and see on this hire.

Why?  Who did you expect?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Scott7703

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2014, 03:43:11 pm
There's really not a lot of data to support that.  He did what's been about average at RU for the past few years.  Hell, Cobi Hamilton by himself went for 10 receptions and 303 yards on him in 2012.  And he had like five draft picks on that 2012 defense.

Come on now. He wa great at Maine and was outstanding with someone else's defense the one year he coordinated at Rutgers. Lol I'm not impressed. Hopefully he proves me wrong but appears to be an average coach that plays the same crappy style ash played and has no recruiting ability.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 03:43:33 pm
because there are better options out there and we need a coach with connections in Texas.

You assume these co called "better options" are wanting to come to Fayetteville.
Let's wait and see how the guy performs.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

YouCrawl_IQuall

Bielema has a history of hiring  really good up and comers that can recruit. I'm not worried.

Chief Mac

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 08, 2014, 03:48:29 pm
You assume these co called "better options" are wanting to come to Fayetteville.

$$$ talks

(notOM)Rebel123

hog_fan

The defense is coach B's with maybe few tweaks

Arkfan

Why did we have to wait so long for this?

Scott7703

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2014, 03:45:23 pm
No it didn't. 

Why?  Who did you expect?

I expected someone who has proven to be a consistent defensive coordinator. I had hoped for someone that would play an aggressive style and also had strong southern recruiting ties.

What we got, if smith is really the hire,  is someone who was an average coordinator at Maine. A guy who had one good year with someone else's players at Rutgers in a below average conference. A guy who went to the nfl and got axed and couldn't find another nfl gig. A guy who has no southern recruiting ties or really anywhere strong recruiting ties anywhere.

What did you expect?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 03:49:34 pm
$$$ talks

Yes it does. I'm not as worried as I would be without RS on staff. But he leaves and I will get worried.
This is my non-signature signature.

The real Hogules

Quote from: SNORTZENHOGGER on February 08, 2014, 03:44:44 pm

I would say it's more like having the little woman blind fold you on your B-day and tell you that she's taking you out someplace special for dinner.
You're thinking of all the possibilities on the drive to your evening meal. when the car stops and the blind fold comes off you look up and see the golden arches.
You may try and hide your disappointment, but unless you are academy award good, your body language will give you away.

"On the surface" this was a less than spectacular hire, when compared to others that were mention. I mean even Odom from Memphis state would have been prefferable to Robb Smith, IMO.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogfan14

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 08, 2014, 03:52:44 pm
I expected someone who has proven to be a consistent defensive coordinator. I had hoped for someone that would that would play an aggressive style and also had strong southern recruiting ties.

What we got, if smith is really the hire,  is someone had was an average coordinator at Maine. A guy who had one good year with someone else's players at Rutgers in a below average conference. A guy who went to the nfl and got axed and couldn't find another nfl gig. A guy who has no southern recruiting ties or really anywhere strong recruiting ties anywhere.

What did you expect?

He seemed pretty aggressive against Tyler Wilson to me

BatesvilleHOG

Want in one hand, poo in the other and see which one fills up faster.. Bielema knows what he's doing.. Thats why he has the job and is making 3 mil a year to do it while most sit here with their thumbs up their rear and bitch cause its not what they want. You people must have miserable lives.

Scott7703

Quote from: hogfan14 on February 08, 2014, 03:56:36 pm

How many yards did we throw for that game?

Hogarusa

Its most likely the same crowd that expected the likes of Pete Carroll, Jon Gruden, and Bob Stoops to be the next head coach or deducted that Soloman Thomas was all Hog after reading his twitter feed. Throwing out unrealistic names with no chances and disapoointed when it doesnt come true.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

(notOM)Rebel123

I expected someone who has proven to be a consistent defensive coordinator. I had hoped for someone that would play an aggressive style and also had strong southern recruiting ties.

What we got, if smith is really the hire,  is someone who was an average coordinator at Maine. A guy who had one good year with someone else's players at Rutgers in a below average conference. A guy who went to the nfl and got axed and couldn't find another nfl gig. A guy who has no southern recruiting ties or really anywhere strong recruiting ties anywhere.

What did you expect?

Dang, why don't you just wait outside his house so you can kick his dog when he comes out... :D

Give the guy a chance to see what he can do.

Wildhog

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on February 08, 2014, 03:56:41 pm
Want in one hand, poo in the other and see which one fills up faster.. Bielema knows what he's doing.. Thats why he has the job and is making 3 mil a year to do it while most sit here with their thumbs up their rear and bitch cause its not what they want. You people must have miserable lives.

My life is awesome.  My sports teams suck.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Uncommon

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on February 08, 2014, 03:56:41 pm
As the late Ron Woodroof used to say, "I like your style."

Topcat

Here we go again. What the hell do any of you guys know about hiring assistant coaches? Number of posts on a website don't count.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Topcat on February 08, 2014, 03:58:57 pm
Here we go again. What the hell do any of you guys know about hiring assistant coaches? Number of posts on a website don't count.
+1

Chief Mac

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 08, 2014, 03:53:32 pm
Yes it does. I'm not as worried as I would be without RS on staff. But he leaves and I will get worried.

we need top flight recruiters.  Smith's credentials do not paint that picture

rhames

Quote from: hogfan14 on February 08, 2014, 03:56:36 pm

How many yards did Tyler pass for?

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Atlhogfan1

What did you expect?

To get someone with DC experience and not many other good options looking for a job. 

Quote from: The real Hogules on February 08, 2014, 03:55:46 pm
I would say it's more like having the little woman blind fold you on your B-day and tell you that she's taking you out someplace special for dinner.
You're thinking of all the possibilities on the drive to your evening meal. when the car stops and the blind fold comes off you look up and see the golden arches.
You may try and hide your disappointment, but unless you are academy award good, your body language will give you away.

"On the surface" this was a less than spectacular hire, when compared to others that were mention. I mean even Odom from Memphis state would have been prefferable to Robb Smith, IMO.

It's a less than spectacular job. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

WashUhog6

I feel like we downgraded with both hires this offseason. It's hard to downgrade from 3-9, though. We lost two good recruiters and replaced them with two unproven recruiting commodities, which is great considering our defensive recruiting is lagging significantly behind offensive recruiting.

Wildhog

It's a message board.  If you don't want to read opinions, log off.  Then turn off the television, the radio, get divorced and move to the Yukon.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Scott7703

OTTER

I'll reserve judgement until he has a couple of years with us.  I've seen some "underwhelming" hires put a good product on the field before and it can happen again.  No one knows enough yet to knock this hire.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Wildhog

Quote from: UCAhog6 on February 08, 2014, 03:59:59 pm
I feel like we downgraded with both hires this offseason. It's hard to downgrade from 3-9, though. We lost two good recruiters and replaced them with two unproven recruiting commodities, which is great considering our defensive recruiting is lagging significantly behind offensive recruiting.

Ash wasn't a very good recruiter.  Partridge was, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Scott7703

Then get lost. It's a message board. You discuss things.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 03:59:35 pm
we need top flight recruiters.  Smith's credentials do not paint that picture

We have top flight recruiters.  We need a good schemer, game planner and teacher to develop a system, develop our lower ranked than our comp's recruits over multiple seasons and do a good job planning for our opponents. 

seasonhog

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 08, 2014, 03:43:33 pm

+1..Chris,

Some one using your name is posting in another op.

You may be ok after all.

hawgtime

Wildhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2014, 04:01:41 pm
We have top flight recruiters.  We need a good schemer, game planner and teacher to develop a system, develop our lower ranked than our comp's recruits over multiple seasons and do a good job planning for our opponents. 

We have one top flight recruiter.  Successful SEC coaching staffs are full of them.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rljjr

Where is Rutgers Al when you need him?

Topcat

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 08, 2014, 04:01:34 pm
Then get lost. It's a message board. You discuss things.
Guess you told me didn't you? HAhahaha

rhames

I'm really getting tired of this stupid argument

This is a freaking message board. It is meant to discuss things that happen with the football team

No one buys that you actually do have coaching experiance when you say such things. It's almost like you are trying to fool yourself with some illusion that you are all knowing

Most of us that are discussing this have been pretty pro Bret for the most part. So if you have anything to add to why it is a good hire other than the tounge and check response "all you losers know nothing about coaching and are just message board want to be's" please do or log of your computer and do something else.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.