Robert Johnson 89 cmp 158 att 876 yds 56.3% 5 td 6 int
Casey Dick 53 cmp 99 att 584 yds 53.5% 7 td 4 int

Casey Dick 65 cmp 132 att 991 yds 49.2% 9 td 6 int
Mitch Mustain 69 cmp 132 att 894 yds 52.3% 10 td 9 int

Casey Dick 150 cmp 262 att 1695 yds 57.3% 18 td 10 int

Casey Dick 205 cmp 357 att 2586 yds 57.4% 13 td 14 int

Brandon Allen 128 cmp 258 att 1552 yds 49.6% 13 td 10 int

What's my takeaway from this?

Brandon Allen isn't quite the interception machine people make him out to be.

Gus Malzahn either totally sucks at QB development, playcalling or he deliberately sabotaged Casey Dick.

David "ladders" Lee was a lot better at managing the QB than anybody at Arkansas gave him credit for.

Casey Dick had his worst TD/INT season under Bobby Petrino

Brandon Allen, in his first season as the starter in a season where he injured his throwing shoulder, looked as good or better than any non-drafted QB from Arkansas. If we actually see development from him, which we should if we have a real QB coach and an offensive coordinator who's worth a crap.. he should do a lot better this season.

I won't add in the fact that I'm pretty sure Brandon Allen had the lowest sack total and actually recorded positive yardage from the QB position which I think none of the others managed.

Here are the stats that are MOST comparable to Brandon Allen's..

Clint Stoerner 173 cmp 357 att 48.5% 2347 yds 12 td 13 int

His sophomore year.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Curious as to why you didn't include Mallett and Wilson?

Killean

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on February 08, 2014, 12:06:01 pm
Curious as to why you didn't include Mallett and Wilson?

Because there's not a whole lot of point to using the best QB in Arkansas history (Mallett) and the 2nd best passer (Wilson) from a pass oriented offense, to compare to any other period in Razorback History.  We're going to have a run oriented offense with great RBs which is most comparable to the 2005 through 2007 period.  I tossed in the 2008 to show a few changes then tacked on Stoerner because he's the most comparable.

I also didn't use 2004 because Matt Jones doesn't compare to any of our other QBs.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Killean on February 08, 2014, 12:04:00 pm

Robert Johnson 89 cmp 158 att 876 yds 56.3% 5 td 6 int
Casey Dick 53 cmp 99 att 584 yds 53.5% 7 td 4 int

Casey Dick 65 cmp 132 att 991 yds 49.2% 9 td 6 int
Mitch Mustain 69 cmp 132 att 894 yds 52.3% 10 td 9 int

Casey Dick 150 cmp 262 att 1695 yds 57.3% 18 td 10 int

Casey Dick 205 cmp 357 att 2586 yds 57.4% 13 td 14 int

Brandon Allen 128 cmp 258 att 1552 yds 49.6% 13 td 10 int

What's my takeaway from this?

Brandon Allen isn't quite the interception machine people make him out to be.

Gus Malzahn either totally sucks at QB development, playcalling or he deliberately sabotaged Casey Dick.

David "ladders" Lee was a lot better at managing the QB than anybody at Arkansas gave him credit for.

Casey Dick had his worst TD/INT season under Bobby Petrino

Brandon Allen, in his first season as the starter in a season where he injured his throwing shoulder, looked as good or better than any non-drafted QB from Arkansas. If we actually see development from him, which we should if we have a real QB coach and an offensive coordinator who's worth a crap.. he should do a lot better this season.

I won't add in the fact that I'm pretty sure Brandon Allen had the lowest sack total and actually recorded positive yardage from the QB position which I think none of the others managed.

Here are the stats that are MOST comparable to Brandon Allen's..

Clint Stoerner 173 cmp 357 att 48.5% 2347 yds 12 td 13 int

His sophomore year.

Many playcalls were more than good last season.  Execution failed by the qb or wr or both.  Hopefully a healthy, more experienced Brandon, comp from other qb's and more playmakers at wr like Wilson returning will turn those missed opportunities into the big plays they should have been. 

David Lee is a good qb coach.  The joke though was Nutt hiring him as OC as we knew what OC meant to Nutt- nothing. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Good analysis.

I'm curious as to how last season would have gone with a healthy Brandon Allen for the entire season.

Killean

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2014, 12:46:13 pm
Good analysis.

I'm curious as to how last season would have gone with a healthy Brandon Allen for the entire season.

I think we definitely win Rutgers, most likely win Mississippi State and possibly win one more game.

I do think that the injury bug killed us.  Hatcher was our best WR and he missed time and had to get back into the flow.  A healthy Otha Peters would have made a good difference as well.

Jek Tono Porkins

Good post. Brandon Allen threw for about 200 yards less than Dick did in 2007 and that was with the bad shoulder and missing one game and most of another one. Give him an offseason to improve and if he stays healthy I think he can develop into a decent quarterback. He's going to have an excellent o-line to protect him, an excellent running game to take the pressure off of him, and an excellent tight end to throw to. I think the coaches did a good job of recruiting receivers in this cycle so he should have some more options at receiver.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Pork Twain

Quote from: Killean on February 08, 2014, 12:04:00 pm
If we actually see development from him, which we should if we have a real QB coach and an offensive coordinator who's worth a crap.
Is this even debatable?

I think we will see much better qb play as we go forward and our depth improves.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Killean

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 08, 2014, 01:17:07 pm
Is this even debatable?

I think we will see much better qb play as we go forward and our depth improves.

apparently anything is debatable..

but I think he'll be a lot better next season..

Hell, I think our wide receivers were the biggest problem last season, followed by some curious play calling.

We have a #1 Wide Receiver.  That's Keon Hatcher.

We have a great tight end, That's Hunter Henry

We have TWO backs that are dynamite catching the ball out of the backfield.

If we can get mediocre to decent #2 and #3 WR's we'll be good to go.

Killean

Also, a common knock on Brandon is his penchant for being intercepted...

Rojo - 1 int to 26.3 atts
Dick - 1 int to 24.75 atts

Dick - 1 int to 22 atts
Mustain - 1 int to 14.7 atts

Dick - 1 int to 26.2 atts

Dick - 1 int to 25.5 atts

Allen - 1 int to 25.8 atts

Stoerner in his sophomore year..

1 int to 27.4 atts

So basically Brandon isn't as bad as people make him out to be.. and that whole Dear Mr Interception King Email might not have been too far off  ;)

Lake City Hog

The only thing you are omitting is that Mustain was a HS freshman playing QB and that Allen played most of the year with a separated shoulder.

Otherwise I agree completely, BA is capable of being a much better QB than most here will ever think.

Zen_Hog

I'm just not as optimistic as some of you are. Watching the games from the 2013 season, injured or not, Brandon Allen just did not have "it". Our receiving corps was pretty dreadful which did not help Allen any. It's going to be pretty much more of the same in the 2014 season unless Hatcher or Cowan breaks out and becomes a go to guy.

In this run oriented offense I'd like to see more of a playmaker at QB. Put the Freshman in and give him a shot, he can not be as bad as we saw last year.