Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rafe Peavey may not see the field in 2014

Started by grim_sleeper, February 07, 2014, 09:41:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 07, 2014, 10:16:35 am
They put all their eggs in his basket.  Austin Allen and Duwop were freshmen and obviously not ready.  Derby is just not a good QB.  I would've gone ahead and burned Austin Allen's RS for the Rutgers game.  I knew he couldn't do much worse than Derby and he had a chance to do much better.

I just hope BA can stay healthy. If he can, I think he'll surprise a lot of people.

That's the point. They should never have put all of their eggs in 1 basket, it cost them dearly. I have my doubts that BA will be any better this season but I sure hope my doubts are wrong.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

acey33

I really hope BA improves this year. We can keep talking about how hurt he was and if he was hurt that bad he shouldn't have come back and played when he did. This is what i saw when he played, someone who was LATE getting rid of the ball whether it was due to his injury, his throwing motion or his arm strength. Go back if you want and look at some of the SEC games he played in and tell me how many times we actually threw the ball down the field 30-40 yards. Not very many times and when he threw the shorter routes the receivers were waiting on the ball. He has got to learn to start his throwing motion sooner and lead his receivers...Go ahead and smite away...and Go Hogs

HF#1

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on February 07, 2014, 10:35:27 am
That's the point. They should never have put all of their eggs in 1 basket, it cost them dearly. I have my doubts that BA will be any better this season but I sure hope my doubts are wrong.

Yes, because nobody ever improves from one season to the next.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PorkRinds

Quote from: MiHogsMi on February 07, 2014, 10:29:21 am
If BA was so hurt,  and AA is so great then why in the frick did he play Derby?

Why not play AA? 

Don't say to keep a redshirt because we played true freshmen on both sides of the ball.  Don't say because it would have been bad for a QB psyche or you're saying AA is weaker than many true freshmen who have played over history.

QB is not the same as any other position.  Derby was a place holder until BA could get back.  As I asked before, even if AA was a small amount better than a hurt BA, what's the point in burning a year of eligibility for a couple of games?

The Hogfather

That's a different discussion.  I think they got burned when Brandon Mitchell left.  Brandon Allen had no game experience and got very few reps the previous year, so he was basically a true freshman.  Once they decided he was going to be the starter, they had to give him as many snaps as possible in practice to try and get him ready to play.  That meant that the back-ups got basically zero snaps in practice.  As soon as Allen got hurt, they were screwed.  I think they messed up by playing Derby at Rutgers, but that's just my opinion.  I would've burned AA's redshirt and let the chips fall where they may after that.  At least AA had some possible upside.  Derby is what he is, a slow LB trying to play QB.

PorkRinds

Problem is they really only had one basket.  When the bottom fell out of their one basket, they had to use some duct tape to patch it back together to save what eggs didn't break when the bottom fell out.

aloha_kid

Quote from: grim_sleeper on February 07, 2014, 09:41:13 am
During an interview with Bielema on Bo's show the other day Bielema talked about his excitement for Brandon Allen and Austin Allen.  He said that people probably don't realize how bad Brandon was hurt last year... etc.

It didn't sound like Rafe was going to see the field.  If that is true, I am kind of disappointed,  but I think Brandon Allen could be a good quarterback.  Maybe it's because he was hurt last year more than people think,  like Bielema said.

Disappointed?  Seriously disappointed that we may have quality depth at QB?

PennHOG

Brandon Alan probably shouldn't have played most of those games last year then.....   But with one arm tied behind his back and a blindfold he would have been better than Derby.

I just wish Brandon Mitchell hadn't transferred.  He would have played a lot and probably would have given us a better chance to be in some of those games.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

jjdlc

My opinion on the Rutgers game was that BB probably would have taken the redshit off of AA had we struggled early in the game.  However, going into the 4th quarter it looked like we were in control, and he had no reason to make the change.  By the time things started to slide it was too late to bring in a true freshman QB and toss him to the wolves.  Had BA not been able to play the next game against A&M, we would probably have seen AA, however, BA came back, and actually played decently given the injury. 

CBB is the type of coach who understands that true freshmen QBs almost never do well that first year.  Given that, I would imagine the chances of Peavey red shirting this year is somewhere north of 99%

hambone

For all you Rafe Peavey will save the day people.......

Please name the last true frosh qb to come in and kick tail in the SEC.

PennHOG

Quote from: hambone on February 07, 2014, 10:59:31 am

Oops  was going to say manzell but he was a redshirt freshman
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

PorkRinds

Tebow did ok as a true Freshman back up. 

PorkRinds

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

hambone

PennHOG

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 11:01:36 am
so you do know Johnny Manziel was a redshirt freshman, right?

Yeah.  I remembered that after I hit the Post button.  Duh

Großer Kriegschwein

Chris Leak was a solid QB as a true Freshman. And yes... Tebow was an efficient QB/FB combination as a true freshman.

Carl Lazlo

The last pass BA threw in the '13 season speaks volumes.  Does anyone remember it?

The Hogfather

Quote from: PennHOG on February 07, 2014, 10:54:07 am
Brandon Alan probably shouldn't have played most of those games last year then.....   But with one arm tied behind his back and a blindfold he would have been better than Derby.

I just wish Brandon Mitchell hadn't transferred.  He would have played a lot and probably would have given us a better chance to be in some of those games.

I bet if he had it to do over again, he wouldn't have transferred.  He probably would've started as many games as he did at NC St, if not more.  He should've just stuck it out.  We would've been bowling, in my estimation.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PennHOG on February 07, 2014, 11:02:33 am
Yeah.  I remembered that after I hit the Post button.  Duh

Don't worry...someone will remind you here if you ever make a mistake.... Trust me.

smb

February 07, 2014, 11:03:55 am #70 Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:35:29 pm by smb
I seem to remember a few years ago when BA step in for Tyler Wilson and received a 50-0 beating? But if you guys tell me you expect to see an improved BA at quarterback you might be disappointed? I just don't think he has the decision making ability to play in the SEC? Lsu didnot play their very best game that day also. And they had nothing to play for either.
GeorgiaHOG

Marshfieldhog

Peavey will not exactly be a true freshman, he gets to go through Spring drills which is much better than showing up in July.

PorkRinds

Quote from: footballmaniac on February 07, 2014, 11:03:10 am
The last pass BA threw in the '13 season speaks volumes.  Does anyone remember it?

Not particularly.  Care to jog my memory?

hambone

Peyton Manning is the only one I can think of.

So can we please let Peavey get some seasoning here and develop before we put the weight of the program on the kid.

Even Eli Manning who has won 2 Super Bowls spent time as an under study in a mediocre program at the time. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: footballmaniac on February 07, 2014, 11:03:10 am

How about you remind me ....In detail with commentary

PennHOG

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 11:04:25 am
Not particularly.  Care to jog my memory?

Please GOD NO!  I don't want to remember......  AAAhh!  Too late

The Hogfather

Quote from: smb on February 07, 2014, 11:03:55 am
I seem to remember a few years ago when BA step in for Tyler Wilson and received a 50-0 beating?

If Rafe Peavey was here, we would've won that game!

hambone

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 11:03:03 am
Chris Leak was a solid QB as a true Freshman. And yes... Tebow was an efficient QB/FB combination as a true freshman.

Tebow wasn't even playing more than 8 snaps a game and only in running situations for 3/4ths of the season.

Claiming Tebow tore it up as a frosh is crazy.

prairiehogcompanion

Brandon Allen 'playing hurt to a greater extent than people thought' doesn't square with going with only an ineffective walk-on as his backup . . . unless doing so is interpreted as a powerful negative statement about the other quarterbacks at your disposal . . . which in turn doesn't square with being 'excited' about one or more of same now.

More likely coach babble-speak.

The_Iceman

I can see Rafe Peavey having a role as a short yardage QB. Maybe running a wildcat type formation or a read option out of the gun.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hambone on February 07, 2014, 11:06:17 am
Tebow wasn't even playing more than 8 snaps a game and only in running situations for 3/4ths of the season.

I can see Peavey in that role.

PennHOG

Matt Barkley was a true freshman and did alright but.  It is rare.  I've been googling and I can't find much.

PorkRinds

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 07, 2014, 11:08:43 am
I can see Peavey in that role.

Unless he takes the starting job, I don't see him getting any PT at all.  They'll save his eligibility.  Think of it this way.  If BA does decently well and wins the QB competition, he will have two more years to play.  Does anyone think they want Peavey to waste two years of eligibility sitting behind BA as a back up? Doubtful.  If BA turns it around and becomes the starter this year, Peavey will redshirt and then spend the '15 season as a back up.  Then he'll take over his sophomore year and have three years to play.  Where I see an issue is with having both Peavey and Storey on campus and only a year apart, one of them is likely to transfer out. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hambone on February 07, 2014, 11:06:17 am

Read what I said..... I didn't say that he tore it up. He scored a few touchdowns in short yardage situations and he was an efficient QB/FB. Very different than tore it up. Chris Leak beat us as a true freshman and we had the Freak as a starter at the time (penalties cost us that game but Leak kept em in it until Bua's late hit out of bounds).

pfrg999

Please name how many Frosh QB's have won more than 3 games in their Freshman season? Remember, that is the Bar.. win more than 3 games... we'll be better than last year...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

The Hogfather

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 11:12:26 am
Unless he takes the starting job, I don't see him getting any PT at all.  They'll save his eligibility.  Think of it this way.  If BA does decently well and wins the QB competition, he will have two more years to play.  Does anyone think they want Peavey to waste two years of eligibility sitting behind BA as a back up? Doubtful.  If BA turns it around and becomes the starter this year, Peavey will redshirt and then spend the '15 season as a back up.  Then he'll take over his sophomore year and have three years to play.  Where I see an issue is with having both Peavey and Storey on campus and only a year apart, one of them is likely to transfer out. 

Allen is as mobile as Peavey.

hambone

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 11:12:44 am
Read what I said..... I didn't say that he tore it up. He scored a few touchdowns in short yardage situations and he was an efficient QB/FB. Very different than tore it up. Chris Leak beat us as a true freshman and we had the Freak as a starter at the time (penalties cost us that game but Leak kept em in it until Bua's late hit out of bounds).

Read what I said.

I asked for the last true frosh to come in AND kick tail in the SEC. You answered Tebow?

pfrg999

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 07, 2014, 11:13:45 am
Allen is as mobile as Peavey.

We see how well him running worked out for us...I hope RP is not as fragile as BA...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Ex-Trumpet

8-0 count as kicking tail?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Dominicanhog

IMO it doesn't matter what CBB says today, let's see what he does when the ball is snapped..... You can't name a freshman that has never played college ball the starter before he's even gone through spring practice.

As for BA, he the returning starter and should be such going into drills... keeping the job is his responsibility.

We'll redshirt Rafe if we can, but I think BA will be hurt again early in the year and AA will get a chance, if he doesn't get the job done Rafe will get a chance.

In my opinion, Rafe will be in the lineup by years end due to lack of production from last years starter.

The Hogfather

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 07, 2014, 11:15:26 am
We see how well him running worked out for us...I hope RP is not as fragile as BA...

I think Allen just happened to land the one way that would cause an injury on that play.  I think most of the other games he played in after that, the coaches were scared to allow him to run at all.

PennHOG

Wildhog

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK
   69  132 894 52.3   6.77  70  10  9      4   
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 07, 2014, 11:17:05 am
In my opinion, Rafe will be in the lineup by years end due to lack of production from last years starter.

I think it'll only be by injury to the other QBs.  I think BA will be fine if he can stay healthy.  I think AA will be after that.  I have no idea on Duwop.  Peavey MIGHT be the 3rd option.

hambone

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 07, 2014, 11:16:48 am
8-0 count as kicking tail?

I see what you did there, and it is a good point.

But do you think that if we got that same level of play from Peavey next season we will be 8-0 after 8 games?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hambone on February 07, 2014, 11:19:49 am
I see what you did there, and it is a good point.

But do you think that if we got that same level of play from Peavey next season we will be 8-0 after 8 games?

Of course not...but, you will start a whole different discussion if you go there!  :)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 11:04:47 am
How about you remind me ....In detail with commentary

I can give you an analogy. Deer in headlights.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2014, 11:18:58 am
CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK
   69  132 894 52.3   6.77  70  10  9      4   
What were Matt Jones' stats his freshman year?  Comparable to MM's?

Kevin

i hope ba improves his pocket presence. he would never step up in the pocket

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MiHogsMi

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 10:39:04 am
QB is not the same as any other position.  Derby was a place holder until BA could get back.  As I asked before, even if AA was a small amount better than a hurt BA, what's the point in burning a year of eligibility for a couple of games?

What's the point in burning a year of eligibility for a couple of games, you ask?  It's called GIVING US THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN THE FRANKIN' GAME.

That concept been lost?  Why play ANY freshman with this argument?  You do what it takes to win. 

There are a LOT of head scratchers with CBB's learning curve year at Arkansas for me.  Playing an injured BA, Derby while AA is supposedly a stud?  I can only concede the coach thOUGHT Derby was better than AA.  Has CBB ever explained this?  Have any reporters had the guts to ask him.  I'd like to know.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.