Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rafe Peavey may not see the field in 2014

Started by grim_sleeper, February 07, 2014, 09:41:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

870hogfan

Quote from: Wants2Win on February 08, 2014, 12:32:53 am
As in lose every SEC game on the schedule?...like that could ever happen. A failed BA experiment could very well do CBB in at Arkansas. 2 seasons wasted and still no QB. Very risky.

He will win more games this year Bobby Jr....

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Wants2Win on February 08, 2014, 12:32:53 am
As in lose every SEC game on the schedule?...like that could ever happen. A failed BA experiment could very well do CBB in at Arkansas. 2 seasons wasted and still no QB. Very risky.

Can you count bro?  One season in, and played with an injured QB by all accounts.  You are by far the most negative poster on here, and you either enjoy being an eternal pessimist, or you're actually a fan of a different team and like to stir the pot.  I'm not sure which, but either way, I have no idea why you even come here if you can't find ANYTHING positive, ever. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Dirty

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 08, 2014, 01:40:33 am
Can you count bro?  One season in, and played with an injured QB by all accounts.  You are by far the most negative poster on here, and you either enjoy being an eternal pessimist, or you're actually a fan of a different team and like to stir the pot.  I'm not sure which, but either way, I have no idea why you even come here if you can't find ANYTHING positive, ever. 

Well said!

razorsharptusk

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 07, 2014, 10:25:51 am
Coming out of high school, he looked at least as good, if not better, than Rafe Peavey.  That's the thing that I find funny.  Allen was Rafe Peavey a couple of years ago.  He has the talent, arm strength, decision making ability (he didn't throw an interception his senior year until the state championship game), etc. to be a really good QB.  He just needs to stay healthy and get some help.

I do not doubt you at all, but for a fan that did not see him play in high school, it looked to me like he was way to eager to throw the ball to the sideline when he felt pressured or seen there was nothing there.  I understand there is a time to throw the ball away. But it seemed many times that was the preferred option over running the ball and getting what you could to extend a drive.  And the interceptions he threw may have caused Chaney to prefer the option of tossing it out of bounds vs. forcing the ball down field.  I don't know.

That said, he did run the ball in for that touchdown that tore his shoulder up early in the season. And it could be the fact that he truly was hurt for most of the season as to why he did not tuck the ball and get what yardage he could.  And it could be that it affected his range down field as well and that is why we chose to run heavy or throw it out of bounds.  But none the less, we have to have better play from the QB position this year, whomever it may be.
GO HOGS!!

Wants2Win

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 08, 2014, 01:40:33 am
What was negative about that post?

Wants2Win

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: razorsharptusk on February 08, 2014, 07:39:58 am
I do not doubt you at all, but for a fan that did not see him play in high school, it looked to me like he was way to eager to throw the ball to the sideline when he felt pressured or seen there was nothing there.  I understand there is a time to throw the ball away. But it seemed many times that was the preferred option over running the ball and getting what you could to extend a drive.  And the interceptions he threw may have caused Chaney to prefer the option of tossing it out of bounds vs. forcing the ball down field.  I don't know.

That said, he did run the ball in for that touchdown that tore his shoulder up early in the season. And it could be the fact that he truly was hurt for most of the season as to why he did not tuck the ball and get what yardage he could.  And it could be that it affected his range down field as well and that is why we chose to run heavy or throw it out of bounds.  But none the less, we have to have better play from the QB position this year, whomever it may be.

Just guessing, but I think that after he was hurt and came back (too early because we didn't have anyone else to get it done) and his shoulder still wasn't healed, much of this was mandated by the staff. Better to throw it away more quickly than normal than take a hit (and be out again) or try to force the ball with a weak throwing motion that could result in more INT's.
Go Hogs Go!

hview

Until he sees the freshman practice he really can't make a comment on his Freshman's status for the upcoming year. I wish Derby would raise his hand and volunteer to move to LB.

hog911

Personally I would red shirt every true freshman we have and suffer through another 3-9 season. Since there is zero chance no matter how bad next season is and yes he will be at best 2-14 as of next year in the SEC! Well we can alway raise the bar to being middle if the pack!

TeedupHigh

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 07, 2014, 09:43:41 am
We will see, if he was hurt that bad then he shouldn't have put him on the field. We will see soon enough against Auburn.

CBB, poor bastard can't win, he got ripped for not playing him and now for playing him.....Smh

westside_player

My gut tells me Rafe will likely transfer in a year or 2. What percentage of 4 star qb's who don't start by the sophomore season do ? 75% maybe?

PorkRinds

Quote from: westside_player on February 08, 2014, 07:28:15 pm
My gut tells me Rafe will likely transfer in a year or 2. What percentage of 4 star qb's who don't start by the sophomore season do ? 75% maybe?

Did you really just say that before he even takes a snap in practice? Makes sense.

westside_player

He's behind the 2 Allens on the depth chart right? Brandon has 2 more years. If Brandon starts this year, he will start as a senior unless he suffers a career ending injury. I don't see Rafe waiting 2 years then having a coins flip chance at beating out Austin in 2016 or whoever else may join the team prior. He will go somewhere like North Texas where he can play.

PorkRinds

Quote from: westside_player on February 08, 2014, 07:36:39 pm
He's behind the 2 Allens on the depth chart right? Brandon has 2 more years. If Brandon starts this year, he will start as a senior unless he suffers a career ending injury. I don't see Rafe waiting 2 years then having a coins flip chance at beating out Austin in 2016 or whoever else may join the team prior. He will go somewhere like North Texas where he can play.

He redshirts one year and plays back up for a year with three to be the starter. No one knows who will be our starter. I would agree that some of our depth at QB will transfer, but I wouldn't automatically say it'll be rafe.

Pigdiana Jones

Bad injuries don't cause players to stare down a receiver from the snap of the ball, just bad throws.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Screwdriver

Justin Acri interviewed Jim Chaney and he said the best qb in spring and fall will start. He said RP was in running.

So.... Crickets

Dirty

Quote from: salebow on February 08, 2014, 08:13:46 pm
Bad injuries don't cause players to stare down a receiver from the snap of the ball, just bad throws.

That's the first I've heard of this.  Are you sure?