Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rafe Peavey may not see the field in 2014

Started by grim_sleeper, February 07, 2014, 09:41:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MiHogsMi

Quote from: Dirty on February 07, 2014, 02:37:40 pm
This was discussed all last year but your hatred is obvious.

Well then enlighten me.....answer the question.  Not your opinion though.  I'm still waiting for a link to a conference, quote or something explaining why.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

redeye

Maybe Allen's injury did affect his performance?  All I know is that I've been waiting to see him play well for 2 years and haven't seen it yet.  Much of it isn't even about his physical skills, but his mindset and conquering his fears.

hobhog

The_Iceman

Quote from: mpeacock on February 07, 2014, 02:41:16 pm
I will not watch a game this season if Brandon Allen is named starter. Not going to put myself through another year of "expectations" being thwarted. He may be a nice guy and all but he is THE WORST QB in the entire conference. If you think we can win a game where BA has to throw more than 15 times, then you are on the kool-aid. He is Casey Dick all over again...

Did Casey Dick play with a separated shoulder for most of the season?

Dirty

Quote from: MiHogsMi on February 07, 2014, 02:54:57 pm
Well then enlighten me.....answer the question.  Not your opinion though.  I'm still waiting for a link to a conference, quote or something explaining why.

Coaches don't have to tell fans anything or their reasons.  Fans can "want"  all they want but this subject was discussed all last year.  You need to hold your hands out and hopefully one will fill up with what you want.  The other one will be, well you know.  stuff!!!!

Qbackinman

I hope that's just the coach throwing up a smokescreen. There needs to be open competition at QB. If Brandon Allen or Austin Allen or somebody else is the best QB they need to be out there. I just can't see it's not somebody new to give Hogs a chance to at least compete better next season.

Hurt or not, Allen didn't demonstrate he could run an offense and perform at a level to compete in the SEC and if his brother is as good or better than he is, youngster should have been on the field instead of putting a former linebacker to attempt to take snaps.

Let's remember too that Allen hurt himself by diving into the endzone. No one touched him, so I would think he's pretty fragile from that. And I hope the kid does well and shows everybody he can be an SEC starter. I just haven't seen that yet.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Clint Stoerner was our last full time 3 year starter.  His first season as a RS sophomore we went 4-7.  We scored 16 pts per game.  We won 2 conference game and scored 17 in each.  That season was pretty miserable, but at least for me there was a little glimmer of hope.  Clint took a beating but would pop back up and keep slinging it.  He threw for a then record 2,347 yards.

I think the problem with BA from a fans perspective is that the season was so bad that there doesn't seem to be anything positive on him to pin hopes on for next year. 

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Mike Irwin

I talked to Jim Chaney about Brandon Allen on signing day. The coaches are still high on him. They understand the limitations he played with after the injury. For those who continue to ask, why play him if he was hurt ? The answer is simple. Even hurt he was their best quarterback.

Hurt is a misleading term. He wasn't in pain. His shoulder wasn't shredded. For a couple of games they numbed the shoulder up and that certainly affected his accuracy. The last four games his only limitation was the weakness that comes with that type of  injury. It's the reason why he didn't throw deep with any accuracy.

For those of you who continue to make references to him staring down receivers and throwing the ball intro the stands let me just say that this kid was getting virtually zero help from his receivers. They were not running proper routes. They were not getting separation and they were not going after contested balls.

That situation got better in the last three games and especially for the LSU game.  I will just say this flat out because I saw it. Brandon Allen played a better game against LSU than Tyler Wilson did two years earlier in Baton Rouge. He handled the pressure much better. Arkansas secondary lost the LSU game not Brandon Allen.

The coaches are excited about the receivers they have coming in. They think we will see a much better passing game in 2014. The one thing they don't know is how quickly Allen will get his range back. If that problem persists then I would not be surprised to see Austin Allen enter the picture rather quickly.

I don't know jack about Rafe Peavey. Saw him in the Under Armor game and he looked good. But Kiehl Frazier did too.

Oh, Austin Allen did not play last season because he did not know the offense well enough.

DoctorSusscrofa

If our QB (whoever) he may be, can improve our completion rate by just a few percentage points, and our receivers can improve our yards per reception by a couple of yards, we'll win some games.  If we complete a few more for just a few more yards, all of sudden we're improving our third down conversion, improving our first downs per game, sustaining drives, getting another touchdown instead of a field goal, and getting field goals instead of punts.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: grim_sleeper on February 07, 2014, 09:41:13 am
During an interview with Bielema on Bo's show the other day Bielema talked about his excitement for Brandon Allen and Austin Allen.  He said that people probably don't realize how bad Brandon was hurt last year... etc.

It didn't sound like Rafe was going to see the field.  If that is true, I am kind of disappointed,  but I think Brandon Allen could be a good quarterback.  Maybe it's because he was hurt last year more than people think,  like Bielema said.

I dont care how bad you are hurt, there is no excuse for that on field performance. Sorry.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 07, 2014, 03:26:34 pm
I talked to Jim Chaney about Brandon Allen on signing day. The coaches are still high on him. They understand the limitations he played with after the injury. For those who continue to ask, why play him if he was hurt ? The answer is simple. Even hurt he was their best quarterback.

Hurt is a misleading term. He wasn't in pain. His shoulder wasn't shredded. For a couple of games they numbed the shoulder up and that certainly affected his accuracy. The last four games his only limitation was the weakness that comes with that type of  injury. It's the reason why he didn't throw deep with any accuracy.

For those of you who continue to make references to him staring down receivers and throwing the ball intro the stands let me just say that this kid was getting virtually zero help from his receivers. They were not running proper routes. They were not getting separation and they were not going after contested balls.

That situation got better in the last three games and especially for the LSU game.  I will just say this flat out because I saw it. Brandon Allen played a better game against LSU than Tyler Wilson did two years earlier in Baton Rouge. He handled the pressure much better. Arkansas secondary lost the LSU game not Brandon Allen.

The coaches are excited about the receivers they have coming in. They think we will see a much better passing game in 2014. The one thing they don't know is how quickly Allen will get his range back. If that problem persists then I would not be surprised to see Austin Allen enter the picture rather quickly.

I don't know jack about Rafe Peavey. Saw him in the Under Armor game and he looked good. But Kiehl Frazier did too.

Oh, Austin Allen did not play last season because he did not know the offense well enough.

Did he elaborate on BAs complete inability to throw an out route, hitch, etc?

Because Im pretty sure it does not take supernatural arm strength to keep the ball from winging 10 feet over the receivers hands.

Look, it might make people warm and fuzzy to think he is going to be better. But lets be real, if he is our starter next year, we will be lucky to go to a bowl game. Sorry.

seasonhog

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 07, 2014, 03:49:38 pm
I dont care how bad you are hurt, there is no excuse for that on field performance. Sorry.

One of CBB mistakes was going with Allen instead of Mitchell, I thought Mitchell was the best QB in the Red / White game.

We would have had a backup then.

But then bb only needed a qb to hand the ball off.

Mike Irwin

Both Bobby Petrino and Bret Bielema believed Brandon Allen was a better quarterback than Brandon Mitchell. So did Garrick McGee and Jim Chaney.

TheTick077

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 07, 2014, 03:54:00 pm

Because Im pretty sure it does not take supernatural arm strength to keep the ball from winging 10 feet over the receivers hands.

Look, it might make people warm and fuzzy to think he is going to be better. But lets be real, if he is our starter next year, we will be lucky to go to a bowl game. Sorry.

So that type of injury saps your arm strength. In doing so you have to really muscle it out to receivers - especially the out routes, which require some serious zip on the ball. In trying to muscle it out the receiver mechanics fail. Sometimes you see a shot-put type throw and sometimes you see the shoulder dipping. In one scenario you skip it to the receiver, in the other it can sail on you. Care to guess what was happening to BA?

If you didn't see that last year (especially in the middle of the season), then no matter how many times people try to explain it to you, I guess you will just never understand.
"Lordy, gents! Your banter is immaculate and a pleasure to witness!
--The Tick

EastexHawg

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 11:30:55 am
but now that you're dangling from my bag over it, I would say that nobody stopped him that year and I think he would have been as good if not better than Leak. 13 touchdowns......5.2 yards per carry with 8 touchdowns...22-33 for 350+ yds and 5 touchdowns....202 QB rating.....sounds like he tore it up while he was in the game... but the starts went to a Senior... so define tearing it up....????

Tebow...almost 4,200 yards of total offense and accounted for 55 TDs in 2007.  Second in Division 1 in pass effeciency rating.  Led the nation in yards per pass attempted.  32 TD passes, only 6 interceptions.  Wow.

Was that the year that it was supposedly a screw job and a rip off that he won the Heisman?

seasonhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 07, 2014, 04:06:19 pm
Both Bobby Petrino and Bret Bielema believed Brandon Allen was a better quarterback than Brandon Mitchell. So did Garrick McGee and Jim Chaney.

So what is your point.

I only conpared Mitchell. to Allen this past season.

Are you saying BB has made good decision so far ?

LZH

Quote from: redeye on February 07, 2014, 02:56:13 pm
Maybe Allen's injury did affect his performance?  All I know is that I've been waiting to see him play well for 2 years and haven't seen it yet.  Much of it isn't even about his physical skills, but his mindset and conquering his fears.

It could have affected his confidence.  When TW was a senior and BA was redshirting, a cousin of mine went to Fayetteville and watched a few practices or scrimmages or whatever.  He's a football guy, and he told me then that BA was "the best QB we have on campus".  So the kid apparently has talent.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 07, 2014, 03:54:00 pm

Sorry, I saw every game and I don't recall BA sailing the ball 10 feet over a receivers head on a short throw.

There were some passes that missed. According to Bielema many of them were timing routes where the receiver was in the wrong place. The best example was an early pick in the SC game. D'Arthur Cowen was supposed to turn inside. He turned outside and the only person there when the ball arrived was a South Carolina cornerback.

MiHogsMi

Quote from: Dirty on February 07, 2014, 03:00:59 pm
Coaches don't have to tell fans anything or their reasons.  Fans can "want"  all they want but this subject was discussed all last year.  You need to hold your hands out and hopefully one will fill up with what you want.  The other one will be, well you know.  stuff!!!!

That's what press conferences are for. 

I notice you don't have a good answer either, only "stuff"...LOL
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

seasonhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 07, 2014, 04:12:48 pm
Sorry, I saw every game and I don't recall BA sailing the ball 10 feet over a receivers head on a short throw.

There were some passes that missed. According to Bielema many of them were timing routes where the receiver was in the wrong place. The best example was an early pick in the SC game. D'Arthur Cowen was suppose to turn inside. He turned outside and the only person there when the ball arrived was a South Carolina cornerback.

Coaching, coaching, coaching....

Mike Irwin

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 04:12:01 pm

So what is your point.

I only conpared Mitchell. to Allen this past season.
Are you saying BB has made good decision so far ?

Let me add another coach. In 2012 Paul Petrino had Allen working ahead of Mitchell on the depth chart.

My point is obvious. Several coaches (not just one) placed Allen ahead of Mitchell on the depth chart over a three year period.

If you think Mitchell would have saved the season last year, fine. We'll never know but with all due respect I'll take Chaney and Bielema's assessment over yours regardless of the team's record last year.

seasonhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 07, 2014, 04:19:39 pm

Let me add another coach. In 2012 Paul Petrino had Allen working ahead of Mitchell on the depth chart.

My point is obvious. Several coaches (not just one) placed Allen ahead of Mitchell on the depth chart over a three year period.

If you think Mitchell would have saved the season last year, fine. We'll never know but with all due respect I'll take Chaney and Bielema's assessment over yours regardless of the team's record last year.

With our record last yr, I am saying Chaney & Bielema may have made a mistate, Don/t you.

At least we would have had Mitchell if BB had not run him off.

Dirty

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 04:34:46 pm
With our record last yr, I am saying Chaney & Bielema may have made a mistate, Don/t you.

You never learn!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 04:34:46 pm

He wasn't run off in the "Mallet at Michigan" sense. BA was ahead on the depth chart and Mitchell decided he wanted to play QB not WR. Bielema called up his old assistant Dave Doeren who just happened to need a QB. Problem solved.
This is my non-signature signature.

smb

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 04:01:56 pm

One of CBB mistakes was going with Allen instead of Mitchell, I thought Mitchell was the best QB in the Red / White game.

We would have had a backup then.

But then bb only needed a qb to hand the ball off.
This does make good sense and I think Brandon Mitchell thought that as well and was a starter for NCST.
GeorgiaHOG

seasonhog

Quote from: smb on February 07, 2014, 04:43:58 pm
This does make good sense and I think Brandon Mitchell thought that as well and was a starter for NCST.

What these posters don't wont to say is BA last name is ALLEN,

Mitchell could throw the ball down field.

Heck,..I have seen more RBack football then 99% of these posters.

But, I am not as good at slinging insults as many are. & I don't plan on starting.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: MiHogsMi on February 07, 2014, 02:54:57 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense
All Gas, No Brakes!

Dirty

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 05:01:31 pm

But, I am not as good at slinging insults as many are. & I don't plan on starting.

Just because you may have seen a lot of Razorback football doesn't mean you know crap about football.

I've watched a lot of horse racing, doesn't mean I can ride a horse!

seasonhog

Quote from: Dirty on February 07, 2014, 05:11:21 pm
Just because you may have seen a lot of Razorback football doesn't mean you know crap about football.

I've watched a lot of horse racing, doesn't mean I can ride a horse!

Hey Dirty, it's ok to read my post again.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 07, 2014, 04:12:48 pm

There were some passes that missed. According to Bielema many of them were timing routes where the receiver was in the wrong place. The best example was an early pick in the SC game. D'Arthur Cowen was supposed to turn inside. He turned outside and the only person there when the ball arrived was a South Carolina cornerback.

Really Mike?

So you honestly cant remember a single time where BA blew one over a receivers head and into the stands on a 5 yard hitch?

You are lying, or getting old.

Wants2Win

If a hurt QB that isn't very good to begin with is the only option, that reflects poorly on the coaching staff. If we have another year at QB like last year, that will pretty much seal CBB's fate at Arkansas. To be 2 years in without a serviceable guy at QB is a coach on his way out in the SEC. Not saying it's right, just the way it is.

98hogs

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 07, 2014, 09:49:43 am
Brandon Allen will be really good for us, as long as he can stay healthy.
Casey Dick the 2nd

PorkRinds

So you're saying that a coach who was demoted when the new staff came in had so much pull that his kid was chosen as the starter just because of his daddy? That makes total sense. CBB was so beholden to a guy he didn't know that he risked his job by playing the guy's kid. That couldn't be more insane.

seasonhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 06:03:41 pm
So you're saying that a coach who was demoted when the new staff came in had so much pull that his kid was chosen as the starter just because of his daddy? That makes total sense. CBB was so beholden to a guy he didn't know that he risked his job by playing the guy's kid. That couldn't be more insane.

Your words, not mine/

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: 98hogs on February 07, 2014, 06:02:53 pm
Casey Dick the 2nd

Please, don't insult Casey Dick.

Some qb's perform really well in practice with green "no contact" jerseys on.  But, under pressure in live game action, they freak out and throw an int that would've ended up being short of the first down by 3 yards even if it WAS completed. 

No coach can predict how a guy reacts until he's thrown into the fire.  Although it is sort of crazy to expect different results from a player that's been given plenty of opportunities to showcase his ability or in this case inability.

Kevin

Are they going to teach him about pocket presence, and he cannot out run the lb and secondary guys in this league.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Iceman

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 07, 2014, 05:33:42 pm
Really Mike?

So you honestly cant remember a single time where BA blew one over a receivers head and into the stands on a 5 yard hitch?

Every QB misses at some point.

choppedporkextrasauce

one of the positives coming into this season the Hogs will be better prepared at QB than last year. The depth is much greater and maybe, just maybe we can avoid the injury bug.

Dirty

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on February 07, 2014, 09:04:41 pm
one of the positives coming into this season the Hogs will be better prepared at QB than last year. The depth is much greater and maybe, just maybe we can avoid the injury bug.

Oh Great!  Someone trying to bring something positive. ;)

Mike Irwin

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 07, 2014, 05:33:42 pm
Really Mike?

I not only saw every game in person I reviewed video of every single game many times over. I don't recall a single short pass that sailed 10 feet over a receivers head unless Allen was intentionally throwing it away.

I am old. If you are calling me a liar that's a different story.

Mike Irwin

So we're back to that nonsense again.

Bobby Allen is in an off the field staff position. What possible threat could he hold over Bielema's head?

Jim Chaney: Gosh Brandon had a rough game. Maybe we should make a change.

Bret Bielema: Hell no. Bobby Allen came in with Houston Nutt. We can't afford to make him mad.

Jim Chaney: Seriously? What could he do?

Bret Bielema: I don't know but some guy on Hogville says the last name Allen carries a whole lot of weight around here so I guess it does.

seasonhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 07, 2014, 10:05:46 pm
So we're back to that nonsense again.

Bobby Allen is in an off the field staff position. What possible threat could he hold over Bielema's head?

Jim Chaney: Gosh Brandon had a rough game. Maybe we should make a change.

Bret Bielema: Hell no. Bobby Allen came in with Houston Nutt. We can't afford to make him mad.

Jim Chaney: Seriously? What could he do?

Bret Bielema: I don't know but some guy on Hogville says the last name Allen carries a whole lot of weight around here so I guess it does.

How did our qb do this past season.

PorkRinds

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 06:25:25 pm

Your words, not mine/

What did you mean by "no one will admit his last name is ALLEN"?

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 10:12:42 pm
What did you mean by "no one will admit his last name is ALLEN"?

Yeah, I didn't realize it was, like, a secret, man.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 10:11:30 pm

How did our qb do this past season.
By the end of the season, when his receivers started stepping up and his injury became less of a factor he did quite well. Go back and look at the LSU game if you saved it.

Look my assessment of him is pretty much what I've heard from Chaney. I'd like to see what he can do with a rehabbed shoulder and better receivers. It might turn out that one of the other QB passes him up this spring or next fall but I'm not ready to start comparing to Pete Burks.

seasonhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 07, 2014, 10:58:31 pm
By the end of the season, when his receivers started stepping up and his injury became less of a factor he did quite well. Go back and look at the LSU game if you saved it.

Look my assessment of him is pretty much what I've heard from Chaney. I'd like to see what he can do with a rehabbed shoulder and better receivers. It might turn out that one of the other QB passes him up this spring or next fall but I'm not ready to start comparing to Pete Burks.

I hear you, Mike

Just from the few times we saw Mitchell play, I thought he had a good arm & i believe he could run with the ball.

We could have used him when Allen got hurt for sure.

Hogwop

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 07, 2014, 03:26:34 pm

Thank you! I remember CBB saying that AA didn't know the offense well enough, that basically any advantage gained from his being healthy would be negated by not knowing how to run the offense properly.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Kevin on February 07, 2014, 10:16:31 am
cbb better choose wisely.  the qb coming out of spring, is who he is attaching his arkansas career too

Unnecessary drama.  He's not even on the hot seat until 2015, and he'll have to really fail not to get 2016. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: smb on February 07, 2014, 10:13:47 am

But my problem is if he was hurt than why in the heck didn't they get somebody ready?

If coach indicated BA was hurt last year, & not at 100% you can bet he was right.

Most freshmen QB are just not ready for SEC play.  Austin Allen was not ready last fall, needed more practice time, learning the system, etc.  If coach thought he was ready, he would have had him in the game.  It was not a lack of talent. This fall should be different, we will have more depth at QB.  Lets just hope we can stay healthy at that position thru the season.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Wants2Win

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 07, 2014, 11:48:15 pm
Unnecessary drama.  He's not even on the hot seat until 2015, and he'll have to really fail not to get 2016.
As in lose every SEC game on the schedule?...like that could ever happen. A failed BA experiment could very well do CBB in at Arkansas. 2 seasons wasted and still no QB. Very risky.