Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rafe Peavey may not see the field in 2014

Started by grim_sleeper, February 07, 2014, 09:41:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

grim_sleeper

During an interview with Bielema on Bo's show the other day Bielema talked about his excitement for Brandon Allen and Austin Allen.  He said that people probably don't realize how bad Brandon was hurt last year... etc.

It didn't sound like Rafe was going to see the field.  If that is true, I am kind of disappointed,  but I think Brandon Allen could be a good quarterback.  Maybe it's because he was hurt last year more than people think,  like Bielema said.

DoctorSusscrofa

Just because he's excited about the players he has?
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Marshfieldhog

We will see, if he was hurt that bad then he shouldn't have put him on the field. We will see soon enough against Auburn.

grim_sleeper

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 07, 2014, 09:42:40 am
Just because he's excited about the players he has?

I am not saying it as a fact.  Just the way he was talking sounded to me like he was more interested in Brandon and Austin for next year.  That is all.

HawgnCorona

Hard to say cause injuries do happen. Hope we stay clear of the injury bug though...heaven knows we have had our share.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

olivebranchhog

He's saying what he needs to say.  If he came out and said he was looking forward to Rafe, he'd be saying he doesn't trust either Allen bro to do the job.  Plus, Brandon should be the #1 right now.  He's our only experienced qb and he hasn't had a chance to show what he's really capable of doing. I don't think the kid is the answer, but I'll let the coaches decide that.  I hope he comes out and kills it next year.  I'd be ecstatic if BA was so good that we could redshirt Rafe and not even worry about a qb for 4 years.
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: grim_sleeper on February 07, 2014, 09:41:13 am
During an interview with Bielema on Bo's show the other day Bielema talked about his excitement for Brandon Allen and Austin Allen.  He said that people probably don't realize how bad Brandon was hurt last year... etc.

It didn't sound like Rafe was going to see the field.  If that is true, I am kind of disappointed,  but I think Brandon Allen could be a good quarterback.  Maybe it's because he was hurt last year more than people think,  like Bielema said.

We'll see in the spring. He lives and breathes Razorback football. Redshirt wouldn't hurt, put on some weight and some speed.
This is my non-signature signature.

The Hogfather

Brandon Allen will be really good for us, as long as he can stay healthy.

Ex-Trumpet

Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in AA if BA really was hurt that bad...CBB should not have had BA in the games--and if there had been a competent back-up, he wouldn't have.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

PorkRinds

CBB isn't going to come out and talk about a true Freshman QB and hype him up.  If he can win the job, fine.  But putting that kind of pressure on him by talking him up before he's seen a down just isn't a good idea.

FANONTHEHILL

Quarterback is always the topic of concern, but with B. Allen, A. Allen, Peavey, and Story on board next year, we have a lot of other issues to be concerned about.  QB will be solid for the next 5-6 years.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Grizzlyfan

Yeah coaches typically don't predict starting a freshman that hasn't been through a practice yet.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: olivebranchhog on February 07, 2014, 09:45:59 am
He's saying what he needs to say.  If he came out and said he was looking forward to Rafe, he'd be saying he doesn't trust either Allen bro to do the job.  Plus, Brandon should be the #1 right now.  He's our only experienced qb and he hasn't had a chance to show what he's really capable of doing. I don't think the kid is the answer, but I'll let the coaches decide that.  I hope he comes out and kills it next year.  I'd be ecstatic if BA was so good that we could redshirt Rafe and not even worry about a qb for 4 years.

I  agree with this plus I would luv to see Rafe RS... A couple of the others--Allen, Mitchell-- can step forward with a year already in the system. So, lets develop them QB's..with competition for each as they come down the line.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

grim_sleeper

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 07, 2014, 09:50:36 am
Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in AA if BA really was hurt that bad...CBB should not have had BA in the games--and if there had been a competent back-up, he wouldn't have.

I agree.  AJ Derby was one of the worst quarterbacks I have ever seen.  I am not downing the kid,  but he looked like a Jr. High quarterback.  I think he had a big part in the loss to Ruters and Auburn.  (no need for insults.  It's just my opinion)

The Hogfather

If we have to start Peavey, we'll be in trouble again next season.  I think he'll be good for us, but certainly not next season.  I hope he redshirts.

Redhogs

CBB needs to win at this point, and that's a fact. The QB on the field will give him the best chance to do that...period. At least whoever he thinks that is....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

DoctorSusscrofa

BB needs to have his team make improvement.  He doesn't have to win the conference by mid October.

smb

Quote from: grim_sleeper on February 07, 2014, 09:41:13 am

If BA was hurt that bad then he should not have been playing? But I just don't think he's that good of quarterback and I base that on a number of games especially Florida. His decision making was really bad.
GeorgiaHOG

The Hogfather

Quote from: smb on February 07, 2014, 10:03:27 am
If BA was hurt that bad then he should not have been playing? But I just don't think he's that good of quarterback and I base that on a number of games especially Florida. His decision making was really bad.

As has been pointed out many, many, many times, just take a look at the games before he got hurt and the last few games, after he had some time to heal (even though he wasn't fully healed).

DoctorSusscrofa

Decision making usually improves with experience. BA may get better. Even if he only improves 15% that might be enough to win 6 games instead of 3.

smb

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 07, 2014, 10:05:48 am
As has been pointed out many, many, many times, just take a look at the games before he got hurt and the last few games, after he had some time to heal (even though he wasn't fully healed).
Yea but he got hurt before SEC games so really I would say he's no SEC quarterback hurt or no hurt.
GeorgiaHOG

The Hogfather

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 07, 2014, 10:06:44 am
Decision making usually improves with experience. BA may get better. Even if he only improves 15% that might be enough to win 6 games instead of 3.

We really were a few plays away from winning 6 last season (with a hurt QB for most of the season).

Also, it is hard to make reads AND throw the ball where you think you can throw it when your arm strength is compromised due to injury.

The Hogfather

Quote from: smb on February 07, 2014, 10:08:45 am
Yea but he got hurt before SEC games so really I would say he's no SEC quarterback hurt or no hurt.

Again, look at the last several SEC games AND the games prior to his injury.  He was really good.

smb

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 07, 2014, 10:09:39 am
We really were a few plays away from winning 6 last season (with a hurt QB for most of the season).

Also, it is hard to make reads AND throw the ball where you think you can throw it when your arm strength is compromised due to injury.
You have a point because in that Florida game and alot of other games he could not make the throws.
GeorgiaHOG

bphi11ips

Peavey should redshirt, and I'll bet he agrees. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The Hogfather

If he can stay healthy (obviously, this is a big IF), he'll be really good for us this year and moving forward.  Just look at the LSU game (he was still not fully healed):  19-29 (65.5%), 178 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT.

smb

But my problem is if he was hurt than why in the heck didn't they get somebody ready?
GeorgiaHOG

Kevin

cbb better choose wisely.  the qb coming out of spring, is who he is attaching his arkansas career too
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The Hogfather

Quote from: smb on February 07, 2014, 10:13:47 am
But my problem is if he was hurt than why in the heck didn't they get somebody ready?

They put all their eggs in his basket.  Austin Allen and Duwop were freshmen and obviously not ready.  Derby is just not a good QB.  I would've gone ahead and burned Austin Allen's RS for the Rutgers game.  I knew he couldn't do much worse than Derby and he had a chance to do much better.

I just hope BA can stay healthy. If he can, I think he'll surprise a lot of people.

PorkRinds

I don't think we can blame his bad decisions on being hurt.  Most of his interceptions came from bad reads (or so it seemed) and not bad throws.  That said, I think BA will be the starter at Auburn. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 07, 2014, 10:16:35 am
They put all their eggs in his basket.  Austin Allen and Duwop were freshmen and obviously not ready.  Derby is just not a good QB.  I would've gone ahead and burned Austin Allen's RS for the Rutgers game.  I knew he couldn't do much worse than Derby and he had a chance to do much better.

I just hope BA can stay healthy. If he can, I think he'll surprise a lot of people.

But if the redishirt AA was not going to be much better than the hurt BA, why not save his eligibility? 

The Hogfather

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 10:17:37 am
I don't think we can blame his bad decisions on being hurt.  Most of his interceptions came from bad reads (or so it seemed) and not bad throws.  I think BA will be the starter at Auburn. 

They appeared to be bad throws because of his inability to make the proper throws.  He could make the right read, make the throw, and our WR would have to slow up or the ball would get there late, allowing the defender to get into position to knock it down or intercept it.  If his arm fully heals and he can stay healthy, he'll look much, much better next season (much like he did in the LSU game).

Georgeofthejungle

Let me first establish the fact that I'm not extremely confident that BA is our guy, but it is ridiculous how fans have already come to the conclusion that he will not get it done WITHOUT even considering what the guy was working with last year.
   He had a lingering injury ALL of last season in his throwing arm, and a group of recivers who lacked significant height and the ability to create ANY seperation(we see what that can do to a team i.e. - Broncos in Super Bowl).
   With some key needs filled at receiver in recruiting, some upperclassmen returning healthy from injuries at receiver, a potentially better and more experienced offensive line, certainly a healthier throwing shoulder of BA, as well as many other factors, I personally(as many of you should) believe he will be MUCH improved this coming season.

smb

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 10:18:32 am
But if the redishirt AA was not going to be much better than the hurt BA, why not save his eligibility?
This is what I was afraid of.
GeorgiaHOG

The Hogfather

I also think that uprgrading the WR corps is HUGE.  Edwards, JoJo, Hollister, getting Wilson back, etc. will really help whichever QB wins the job next season.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 09:50:43 am
CBB isn't going to come out and talk about a true Freshman QB and hype him up.  If he can win the job, fine.  But putting that kind of pressure on him by talking him up before he's seen a down practice just isn't a good idea.

FIFY

HF#1

Those that assume Brandon Allen was just going to be tossed aside are doing so foolishly.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The_Iceman

Brandon Allen looked pretty good against LSU last year. But his weak arm strength cost us a couple TD's. Wonder if that was the injury or just him.

Regardless, we will have a QB battle and the best QB will start game 1.

smb

I don't ever remember him pump faking much either? It seem he look one time down the field then throw it out of bounds?
GeorgiaHOG

upperdeck_hawg

When did being hurt cause you to stare down a receiver on every throw
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

EastexHawg

How did Peavey do in the last high school game he played? 

A redshirt year would probably serve him, and us, well.

HF#1

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 07, 2014, 10:24:46 am

Well it's hard not to stare down receivers when you only have 1 or 2 reliable ones.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 07, 2014, 10:22:34 am
Brandon Allen looked pretty good against LSU last year. But his weak arm strength cost us a couple TD's. Wonder if that was the injury or just him.

Regardless, we will have a QB battle and the best QB will start game 1.

Coming out of high school, he looked at least as good, if not better, than Rafe Peavey.  That's the thing that I find funny.  Allen was Rafe Peavey a couple of years ago.  He has the talent, arm strength, decision making ability (he didn't throw an interception his senior year until the state championship game), etc. to be a really good QB.  He just needs to stay healthy and get some help.

LRHawg

Yeah I saw a lot of issues that had nothing to do with his hurt shoulder. We shall see I guess.

The Hogfather

When you don't trust your arm.  Also, this is easy to say when none of the WRs are getting open.  It is either stare down the one WR you think can get open, run through your progressions of covered WR after covered WR and get sacked or throw the ball away right before getting lit up.  Those were basically his options last season.

MiHogsMi

If BA was so hurt,  and AA is so great then why in the frick did he play Derby?

Why not play AA? 

Don't say to keep a redshirt because we played true freshmen on both sides of the ball.  Don't say because it would have been bad for a QB psyche or you're saying AA is weaker than many true freshmen who have played over history.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

HF#1

Quote from: LRHawg on February 07, 2014, 10:26:30 am
Yeah I saw a lot of issues that had nothing to do with his hurt shoulder. We shall see I guess.

Yes, some of his issues were related to the other 10 guys on the field with him.

Sooie71923

It will be the Allen bros show in 2014.

If you expect true freshmen Rafe Peavy on the field in 2014 then you're setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. 

The Hogfather

I suggest all of you go watch BA highlights from high school and then watch RP highlights from last season.  They are basically the same player.  I might even contend that Allen played better competition.

Georgeofthejungle

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 07, 2014, 10:25:51 am
Coming out of high school, he looked at least as good, if not better, than Rafe Peavey.  That's the thing that I find funny.  Allen was Rafe Peavey a couple of years ago.  He has the talent, arm strength, decision making ability (he didn't throw an interception his senior year until the state championship game), etc. to be a really good QB.  He just needs to stay healthy and get some help.

This ^