Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please Explain "Can't Out - Bama Bama"

Started by Peter Porker, February 07, 2014, 07:11:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: footballfan on February 07, 2014, 09:57:23 am
Or, you know, try a strategy that might actually win. But I can understand why you don't want to deal with reality.

And I understand why you don't understand much about football. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 07, 2014, 09:53:46 am
You're right.  It's probably time to get out of the SEC while we still can.

Yep.  HV folks don't think we can win so that's pretty much it for us.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

wachhog

Quote from: Oliver on February 07, 2014, 07:55:10 am
There were two teams that beat Bama this year and they both ran the HUNH.  It gave Saban's defense fits.  We don't need Bielema to change his offensive formations to run the HUNH.  You can run the HUNH in many different offenses. 

But I just don't believe you are going to out ball control Bama unless you recruit as well as Bama.  Which is why LSU has been the only team in a while to out-Bama Bama
This is exactly what I meant by our not being able to out-Bama Bama.  I think we have to an offensive scheme or weapon that they are not prepared for whether it is the HUNH or some other innovation.

footballfan

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 07, 2014, 09:58:16 am
And I understand why you don't understand much about football.

Oh do tell. Amaze me with your wisdom o sage of the pigskin.

wachhog

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2014, 08:00:29 am
Here is the answer from most of those that would say that:

*  I don't like coach B so I'm going to dump on anything he's trying to build.
*  I have attention deficit disorder and the only way you can keep me interested in a football game is to throw the ball all over the place.
*  I hate Jeff Long.
*  I heard someone say you "Can't out Bama Alabama" and it's a nice catch phrase that I can use without having to explain myself, since I really don't have a thought of my own.
*  I really don't know football, but behind the firewall I can claim to be 6'6", 345 lbs and 2% body fat.

From my perspective I have to ask this.  If you "Can't out Bama Alabama" then just what did Oklahoma do to them this year?
Actually, you and others have a severe case of juvenile hatred for Bobby. I doubt there is a cure when it is this advanced.

wachhog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 07, 2014, 08:08:05 am
That can be said for every team in the nation as long as Bama continually ends up number 1 in recruiting can't it?  Over the past two seasons, ONE PLAYER gave Bama all they could handle.  Manziel.  OK...let's say two, and include Evans.  The point is, Bama isn't invincible. 

I know it absolutely burns Saban's rear that Auburn and TAMU both run the hurry up, because it challenges his ability to counter them with defensive changes.  That is Saban's kryptonite from what I can see, and I'm not sure we shouldn't strive to implement something similar.   

I cannot believe I agree with you on something, but I do.

bphi11ips

Quote from: footballfan on February 07, 2014, 10:02:54 am

Oh do tell. Amaze me with your wisdom o sage of the pigskin.

Scroll through my posts on Bielema, Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne.  I realize anyone who would use "retarded" in a post is probably not old enough to remember them. 

footballfan

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 07, 2014, 10:11:14 am
Scroll through my posts on Bielema, Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne.  I realize anyone who would use "retarded" in a post is probably not old enough to remember them.

Do you really think cbb will benefit from the walk on lineman scheme that tom Osbourne employed? (and which is now illegal?) Do you not realize tom osbourne got highly rated backs like irving frye from the coasts? Do you not realize that osbourne, for most of his career, had only to deal with a big 8 that had only one consistently good team? Do you not realize that tom Osbourne had to change his recruiti g dramatically in order to win a national title because fsu was consistently spanking him in bowl games? I know a great deal more about college football history than you.

bphi11ips

Quote from: footballfan on February 07, 2014, 10:19:34 am
Do you really think cbb will benefit from the walk on lineman scheme that tom Osbourne employed? (and which is now illegal?) Do you not realize tom osbourne got highly rated backs like irving frye from the coasts? Do you not realize that osbourne, for most of his career, had only to deal with a big 8 that had only one consistently good team? Do you not realize that tom Osbourne had to change his recruiti g dramatically in order to win a national title because fsu was consistently spanking him in bowl games? I know a great deal more about college football history than you.

I guess it's settled then.  Who do think will be our next coach?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2014, 08:00:29 am
Here is the answer from most of those that would say that:

*  I have attention deficit disorder and the only way you can keep me interested in a football game is to throw the ball all over the place.

Best line in the history of Hogville!!! +1
This is my non-signature signature.

footballfan

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 07, 2014, 10:24:49 am
I guess it's settled then.  Who do think will be our next coach?

Awesome response. I guesz you DO know alot about football!

And the correct answer is, hopefully someone who can exploit Texas recruiting or be an innovative football mind and put us a few steps ahead of our competition scheme wise in order to offset our talent differential.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: footballfan on February 07, 2014, 10:30:46 am
Awesome response. I guesz you DO know alot about football!

And the correct answer is, hopefully someone who can exploit Texas recruiting or be an innovative football mind and put us a few steps ahead of our competition scheme wise in order to offset our talent differential.

It would seem that recruiting Tejas hasn't done wonders for UT or ATM. Not saying we shouldn't snipe players from Tejas, but to sell out recruiting it as hard as we did back in the Broyles/Holtz/Hatfield era doesn't take in to account modern media and information availability. Recruiting should be a national enterprise for our program due to lack of numbers in-state. Areas to have special emphasis on SHOULD include but not be limited to Tejas. Numbers pulled from that state will be dependent on needs of the program and availability of athletes. Segrest will play in to this due the absolute need for exceptional defensive lines in the SEC.

As far as schematics to give us an advantage, we got the brakes beat off us by Alabama and LSU under our last coach. Our biggest success against LSU was running over them with Matt Jones and then Darren Mcfadden. We have had no success against Alabama since Saban has been there (save the 24-20 loss we had in 2010, just couldn't run the ball effectively to kill time in the 4th Quarter, same as ATM last year). Whatever scheme we run, we should target recruits to fit the concept (we are doing that from what I can tell).

I've thought about it a bit, like any other fan thats followed the program since before the end of the Hatfield triple-option era.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: footballfan on February 07, 2014, 09:28:51 am
No he didn't.  Jesus do some of you just make crap up as you go along? Seriously, is google THAT hard to use?

You're right. It was Florida he beat. Then ALMOST beat Bama (It came down to the end). However, the same point apllies.

Nice job being a complete ass about it though.

hambone

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 07, 2014, 07:11:12 am
I don't get this. What does it even mean. 0-4 means Petrino couldn't beat Bama doing his thing. There was a stat during a Bama game that said teams that ran a certain amount of times for a certain amount of plays usually beat Bama.

Please explain what "can't out Bama Alabama"  means.

Pretty simple really. Art of War kind of stuff. Sun Tzu would say "fight the enemy where they aren't."

When you run a system that is extremely similar to your opponent, more times than not, the team with the most talent and better execution are going to win. They have a better chance of executing better because they have more good players than you do. They do not have to play outside their comfort zone in any way.

It's basically employing all your resources at "fighting them where they are" so to speak.

It isn't sound strategy.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on February 07, 2014, 10:51:28 am
Nice job being a complete ass about it though.

Yeah, what's up with that? Are half of the people that sign on here having a bad day?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: ReddieHawg on February 07, 2014, 08:48:01 am
Newsflash: We're not going to beat Bama as long as Saban is there so you might as well get used to it.

This is a BS idea....   here's our record against the two teams who have beaten Alabama the past two years....  We have beat the teams that beat Bama... We CAN beat BAMA......

Since 2000, we've split the games with Auburn 50-50...
Since 2000, we hold a 3-2 advantage over A&M...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Bebop

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 07, 2014, 08:17:38 am
Auburn, OU, what did they do?  They ran a HUNH, but they also defended pretty well too.  If you can't stop Bama's run, and their offense in general, then you're not going to beat them.  Like it or not...those two teams managed to defend them well enough to win the games. 

Again...everyone talks about the offense, but you still have to stop the opponent.  THAT's where we've been lacking the most the past two seasons, and until that changes, we can argue until we're blue in the face about what offense will work, blah, blah, blah.  We can't hold Bama under 50 pts until further notice...and if that doesn't change, it won't matter.

I agree.

We need a better defense. I think people are pigeon-holing BB into a running only offense. BB has acknowledged that it is going to take more than just running the ball to win, regardless if we recognize it or not. Essentially, all aspects of the game are going to be good, not just one.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: footballfan on February 07, 2014, 10:19:34 am
Do you really think cbb will benefit from the walk on lineman scheme that tom Osbourne employed? (and which is now illegal?) Do you not realize tom osbourne got highly rated backs like irving frye from the coasts?  Do you not realize that tom Osbourne had to change his recruiti g dramatically in order to win a national title because fsu was consistently spanking him in bowl games?

What is now illegal about their "lineman scheme"?

The rest is dead on. Osborne has been quite candid about that. Admitted that after getting beat in a couple of bowls, his staff recuited nation-wide to get more raw speed.

Hoggish1

It just means no confidence in going against Nick, period.  Has nothing to do with power football.

To beat Bama you simply must stop their O. D is the key to beating them.  Or luck, like Auburn.  Of course, that doesn't explain why Big Game bob beat them in the Sugar.  That's on Saban failing to use his best running back all game.

colbs

Quote from: hambone on February 07, 2014, 10:52:12 am
Pretty simple really. Art of War kind of stuff. Sun Tzu would say "fight the enemy where they aren't."

When you run a system that is extremely similar to your opponent, more times than not, the team with the most talent and better execution are going to win. They have a better chance of executing better because they have more good players than you do. They do not have to play outside their comfort zone in any way.

It's basically employing all your resources at "fighting them where they are" so to speak.

It isn't sound strategy.
So is Arkansas going to come up with some new scheme to win?  Every style of offense in cfb has a team that has better players per the recruiting services than Arkansas.

MiHogsMi

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 07, 2014, 11:49:09 am
It just means no confidence in going against Nick, period.  Has nothing to do with power football.

To beat Bama you simply must stop their O. D is the key to beating them.  Or luck, like Auburn.  Of course, that doesn't explain why Big Game bob beat them in the Sugar.  That's on Saban failing to use his best running back all game.

My eyes just crossed and my head exploded.  Make up your mind...

Can't beat Nick
Stop their O
Luck
Big game Bob
Nick beat himself

Hogville!!  They love them some CRAZINESS.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

The NewEra

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 10:03:13 am
Actually, you and others have a severe case of juvenile hatred for Bobby. I doubt there is a cure when it is this advanced.

You are absolutely clueless.  I was actually a huge fan of Bobby Petrino's until the day he decided to take a big dump on the Razorback program, ruin an entire season for the kids who had given so much to this program, Wilson who decided to forego the NFL in order to try and help us win a title.  Thanks to Bobby we had to suffer through JLS for a year.  I don't hate Petrino, I hate what he did to the program and what we have had to endure as a result of his selfish, irresponsible actions.  And I do hate that people like you can't seem to hold him responsible because you would sell your soul to have a coach who slings the ball around regardless of his lack of character.

wachhog

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2014, 12:27:11 pm
You are absolutely clueless.  I was actually a huge fan of Bobby Petrino's until the day he decided to take a big dump on the Razorback program, ruin an entire season for the kids who had given so much to this program, Wilson who decided to forego the NFL in order to try and help us win a title.  Thanks to Bobby we had to suffer through JLS for a year.  I don't hate Petrino, I hate what he did to the program and what we have had to endure as a result of his selfish, irresponsible actions.  And I do hate that people like you can't seem to hold him responsible because you would sell your soul to have a coach who slings the ball around regardless of his lack of character.

I just want a coach who can win.  I don't like that Petrino had an affair with his assistant.  I think it was irresponsible.  I have just worked in big business long enough to know that goes on every day.  If a guy is good at his job and high enough in the organization to make him difficult to replace, a way is found to keep him.  Think Jack Welch. If a guy is not good at his job, or  is low enough to be easily replaced, he is gone.  Occasionally, if an effective leader has stepped on the wrong toes, he is gone, too--shareholders be darned.  I think that is what happened at Arkansas, and, as a small shareholder, I am still furious.

The NewEra

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 12:41:37 pm
I just want a coach who can win.  I don't like that Petrino had an affair with his assistant.  I think it was irresponsible.  I have just worked in big business long enough to know that goes on every day.  If a guy is good at his job and high enough in the organization to make him difficult to replace, a way is found to keep him.  Think Jack Welch. If a guy is not good at his job, or  is low enough to be easily replaced, he is gone.  Occasionally, if an effective leader has stepped on the wrong toes, he is gone, too--shareholders be darned.  I think that is what happened at Arkansas, and, as a small shareholder, I am still furious.

It wasn't the affair that got him fired.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2014, 12:43:30 pm

Favortism in hiring that came from said affair.... That did it.

dwcherr

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 07, 2014, 11:48:09 am
What is now illegal about their "lineman scheme"?

The rest is dead on. Osborne has been quite candid about that. Admitted that after getting beat in a couple of bowls, his staff recuited nation-wide to get more raw speed.

Nebraska used to have what were called "community scholarships" for players within the state. The towns where the players (mostly linemen) came from would get together and raise money for a "scholarship." These players would count as walkons, not against the scholarship numbers. They would do this for 4 or 5 players a year. Those players would all redshirt, so they pretty much had all 5th year seniors starting on their O line.

This is illegal now.

bigbadhog

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 10:05:09 am
I cannot believe I agree with you on something, but I do.

I am in the RARE position of agreeing with him too.  Hell must be frozen over...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

TOM "tbw1"

Some of y'all can't see the forest for the trees and then some can't see the trees because you are looking at individual leaves.

Bama is Bama because of the system.  If you will take time to really study what it seems that Coach BB is doing is implementing the Saban system. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/08/14/sabanization-of-college-football/

If he is successful this will happen;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJXKVOxqkWM
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 07, 2014, 08:08:05 am
That can be said for every team in the nation as long as Bama continually ends up number 1 in recruiting can't it?  Over the past two seasons, ONE PLAYER gave Bama all they could handle.  Manziel.  OK...let's say two, and include Evans.  The point is, Bama isn't invincible. 

I know it absolutely burns Saban's rear that Auburn and TAMU both run the hurry up, because it challenges his ability to counter them with defensive changes.  That is Saban's kryptonite from what I can see, and I'm not sure we shouldn't strive to implement something similar.   

Quote from: Oliver on February 07, 2014, 07:55:10 am
There were two teams that beat Bama this year and they both ran the HUNH.  It gave Saban's defense fits.  We don't need Bielema to change his offensive formations to run the HUNH.  You can run the HUNH in many different offenses. 

But I just don't believe you are going to out ball control Bama unless you recruit as well as Bama.  Which is why LSU has been the only team in a while to out-Bama Bama

This is so clear it's ridiculous.

And I'm PRO BB - yes, you can have both perspectives.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

bphi11ips

Quote from: Notshavin on February 07, 2014, 01:13:53 pm
This is so clear it's ridiculous.

And I'm PRO BB - yes, you can have both perspectives.

There's a time and place for everything, including the HUNH. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on February 07, 2014, 01:09:54 pm
Some of y'all can't see the forest for the trees and then some can't see the trees because you are looking at individual leaves.

Bama is Bama because of the system.  If you will take time to really study what it seems that Coach BB is doing is implementing the Saban system. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/08/14/sabanization-of-college-football/

As an old salty Cavalryman, I commend your use of the Patton video. Stand up and excellent.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 07, 2014, 01:16:15 pm

And its usually in the 2-minute offense.

The NewEra

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on February 07, 2014, 01:09:54 pm

I loved the video clip Tom.....A Perfect Analogy!

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 12:41:37 pm

So he should not have  been fired for having a press conference and lying to the Arkansas fans?
So he should not have been fired for lying to his boss?

Coach Petrino demanded that his players be disciplined and under control on the field and off.  How could he have continued that once it was shown that he could not do it himself.  So much of a football team's chemistry relies on the devotion to a coach and the way he conducts himself.  IMHO Coach Petrino could no longer have the position of respect that he held among his players.

I agree, you should be furious but your fury is placed against the wrong target.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 07, 2014, 01:16:15 pm

Exactly.  Like there is a time to support a new coach, and a time to make it known you want a new one.  We are 2-4 years away on the latter, depending on how things go.

Now it seems like an appropriate time to look at our offense and accept something isn't working - IMO, if you think it's "wrong" or you can't be pro-BB and do that after what we saw last year....well, to each his own.  Hopefully BB will re-think his offense, as any HC should.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

wachhog

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2014, 12:43:30 pm
Affair, lying, whatever.  As I said, I think he stepped on the wrong toes.  Toes of egomaniacs, who cared more about their own feelings than those  of average fans.
I am not angry at Bielema.  I am angry at those who hired him.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 01:16:24 pm
As an old salty Cavalryman, I commend your use of the Patton video. Stand up and excellent.

How are things in Lower America?  God bless you for your service.

wachhog

Affair, lying, whatever.  As I said, I think he stepped on the wrong toes.  Toes of egomaniacs, who cared more about their own feelings than those  of average fans.
I am not angry at Bielema.  I am angry at those who hired him.  I think those, or others who preceded them, are responsible for our failures in basketball. Football and women's basketball. I think they are like the boards of directors of companies who can never get into the top tier  of their sectors.   And, it is interesting that we seem to get stuck with them, given as how Arkansas has spawned so many top tier businesses. You would think we could draft some of them to right the ship that is our athletic department.

The NewEra

Quote from: Notshavin on February 07, 2014, 01:22:25 pm
Exactly.  Like there is a time to support a new coach, and a time to make it known you want a new one.  We are 2-4 years away on the latter, depending on how things go.

Now it seems like an appropriate time to look at our offense and accept something isn't working - IMO, if you think it's "wrong" or you can't be pro-BB and do that after what we saw last year....well, to each his own.  Hopefully BB will re-think his offense, as any HC should.

I liked this post so much that I almost gave you a +1.  But then I looked at your applaud / smite totals and realized it wouldn't help you much.  So I'll just say good post.

I will say that if you go back and look at the games, which I have, then you realize there wasn't as much wrong with the offense as it appeared.  No offense will work if you don't have receivers catching the football.  Give Chaney some guys who can throw, catch the ball and then we will know for sure where the offense needs to change, if at all.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2014, 01:28:53 pm
I liked this post so much that I almost gave you a +1.  But then I looked at your applaud / smite totals and realized it wouldn't help you much.  So I'll just say good post.

I will say that if you go back and look at the games, which I have, then you realize there wasn't as much wrong with the offense as it appeared.  No offense will work if you don't have receivers catching the football.  Give Chaney some guys who can throw, catch the ball and then we will know for sure where the offense needs to change, if at all.

Take it easy on Notshavin.  His work conditions are terrible.  A lesser man would fold under the pressure.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on February 07, 2014, 01:20:59 pm
So he should not have  been fired for having a press conference and lying to the Arkansas fans?

Coach Petrino demanded that his players be disciplined and under control on the field and off.  How could he have continued that once it was shown that he could not do it himself.  So much of a football team's chemistry relies on the devotion to a coach and the way he conducts himself.  IMHO Coach Petrino could no longer have the position of respect that he held among his players.

I agree, you should be furious but your fury is placed against the wrong target.

In my opinion, BP had to be fired, but not just for lying, and hiring his mistress.  He also had to be fired because he had created a massive public relations nightmare.  When the whole country is talking about what a stupid thing your coach did, and how he lied, and what a scuzzball he is, there comes a point where even if his lies weren't the last straw the program humiliation is.

I don't know either Petrino or Long personally.  I don't know whether Bobby is actually better than his image, or whether Long is really worse than his image.  But BP had to go because ON TOP of all else, he made the whole thing a circus by even going so far as to make false statements at press conferences.  If you lie in private and then recant it's a lot less embarrassing for everybody, but when you have the lights turned on and record your lies on the local news media you not only lie you invite ridicule for yourself and others.

Bobby Petrino had accomplishments at Arkansas.  He had some good players - and some of them were there because of him.  But he had to be fired.  He made a human mistake - but he complicated that mistake through his own decisions.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2014, 01:28:53 pm
But then I looked at your applaud / smite totals and realized it wouldn't help you much.  So I'll just say good post.

Don't even bother bro, they are a badge of honor(bc of when I got most of them)!

I agree - I followed Chaney closely last year and was really pumped about our offense going into the first game...then thhhhppppppbbbbbbb.  Here's where I disagree:  I believe he was held back and I hope BB learns from that huge mistake.  I didn't expect huge success, but come on....it was extremely not creative and not representative of what we thought we would be getting on offense.

wachhog

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on February 07, 2014, 01:20:59 pm

The thing is, we do not know and never will whether Petrino could have been effective with his own players after the incident. 

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on February 07, 2014, 01:30:14 pm
Take it easy on Notshavin.  His work conditions are terrible.  A lesser man would fold under the pressure.

LOL you don't even know man

wachhog

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 12:44:42 pm
Favortism in hiring that came from said affair.... That did it.
That happens all the time in big business, too. It does not make it right, but it happens and those companies don't seem to be adversely affected. 

wachhog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 07, 2014, 01:34:35 pm
In my opinion, BP had to be fired, but not just for lying, and hiring his mistress.  He also had to be fired because he had created a massive public relations nightmare.  When the whole country is talking about what a stupid thing your coach did, and how he lied, and what a scuzzball he is, there comes a point where even if his lies weren't the last straw the program humiliation is.

I don't know either Petrino or Long personally.  I don't know whether Bobby is actually better than his image, or whether Long is really worse than his image.  But BP had to go because ON TOP of all else, he made the whole thing a circus by even going so far as to make false statements at press conferences.  If you lie in private and then recant it's a lot less embarrassing for everybody, but when you have the lights turned on and record your lies on the local news media you not only lie you invite ridicule for yourself and others.

Bobby Petrino had accomplishments at Arkansas.  He had some good players - and some of them were there because of him.  But he had to be fired.  He made a human mistake - but he complicated that mistake through his own decisions.
I just disagree.  I offer Rick Pitino  and Louisville as proof. And then there were the rumors about Urban.

The NewEra

Quote from: Notshavin on February 07, 2014, 01:34:58 pm
Don't even bother bro, they are a badge of honor(bc of when I got most of them)!

I agree - I followed Chaney closely last year and was really pumped about our offense going into the first game...then thhhhppppppbbbbbbb.  Here's where I disagree:  I believe he was held back and I hope BB learns from that huge mistake.  I didn't expect huge success, but come on....it was extremely not creative and not representative of what we thought we would be getting on offense.

Notshavin, I just don't know for sure if Bielema is directing the offense at the high level or saying Chaney go with it and that's his offense we saw last year.  I've always had the impression he was going to let his coaches coach without micromanaging them.  Do we know for a certainty one way or another how much Bielema is directing the offense?  I surely don't.

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2014, 01:48:32 pm
Notshavin, I just don't know for sure if Bielema is directing the offense at the high level or saying Chaney go with it and that's his offense we saw last year.  I've always had the impression he was going to let his coaches coach without micromanaging them.  Do we know for a certainty one way or another how much Bielema is directing the offense?  I surely don't.

I agree, nobody knows for sure 100% except that staff and whoever is in the meetings.  I'm going by what we were presented with in the Spring as the plan, and by the way Chaney and BB talked vs. what we actually saw happen.  Something doesn't add up.  I just hope we see an adjustment.  Last year was too much of a fail for me on offense to just chalk it up to it being a new staff, inexperience, etc.

However, this is a great opportunity for both of those coaches to show what they are made of.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 01:47:18 pm
I just disagree.  I offer Rick Pitino  and Louisville as proof. And then there were the rumors about Urban.

Urban was removed from his position.  Basketball chemistry is a totally different proposition.  And using one person in Pitino is called anecdotal evidence and is grossly invalid.

An example that shows the opposite of Pitino is the story of Mike Dubose.  He was kept at Bama after indiscretions his program went from a #8 finish in the country to 3-8.  It took Bama six years to recover.

The NewEra

Quote from: Notshavin on February 07, 2014, 01:54:53 pm
I agree, nobody knows for sure 100% except that staff and whoever is in the meetings.  I'm going by what we were presented with in the Spring as the plan, and by the way Chaney and BB talked vs. what we actually saw happen.  Something doesn't add up.  I just hope we see an adjustment.  Last year was too much of a fail for me on offense to just chalk it up to it being a new staff, inexperience, etc.

However, this is a great opportunity for both of those coaches to show what they are made of.

Just as a side not to this conversation.....I've watched several of last years games again and there are easily four games that could have had a different outcome if our players hadn't come down with the "shoot yourself in the foot" disease.  There were dropped passes, injuries, missed tackles and bad quarterbacking that gave away big gains or touchdowns, etc.  Fumbles when we are about to score.  Add to that Ash's very conservative no pressure defense that we played mostly with an already soft secondary.  I don't think there was one thing that went right for this team last year.  Then you tack on the fact that the coaches seemed to try some trickery to gain an advantage because they were feeling the pressure to give the kids an advantage to win and when those didn't work the team was even further in the hole. 

Just change most of that and I can't help but believe we will be greatly improved.