Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please Explain "Can't Out - Bama Bama"

Started by Peter Porker, February 07, 2014, 07:11:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on February 07, 2014, 01:25:14 pm
How are things in Lower America?  God bless you for your service.

Things are "Lower" in Lower America....... Thanks bro, just can't wait to hit retirement.....Cash in on some of those RF donations and get me some 50 yard line tickets would be nice.
This is my non-signature signature.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 01:43:46 pm
That happens all the time in big business, too. It does not make it right, but it happens and those companies don't seem to be adversely affected.

But a state job is not big business.. We have nepotism laws. There is a hiring process that makes it fair.

sowmonella

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on February 07, 2014, 01:57:45 pm
Urban was removed from his position.  Basketball chemistry is a totally different proposition.  And using one person in Pitino is called anecdotal evidence and is grossly invalid.

An example that shows the opposite of Pitino is the story of Mike Dubose.  He was kept at Bama after indiscretions his program went from a #8 finish in the country to 3-8.  It took Bama six years to recover.

Excellent analogy Tom.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 07, 2014, 11:49:09 am
Or luck, like Auburn.

I don't like Malzahn, but he put a returner in the end zone to run back that kick.  He also said as soon as the game was over...not after he had time to think about it...that he realized there were probably only 3-4 players on the Bama field goal team who had the speed and athleticism to tackle his returner.  Auburn's last TD happened because he put a player in a place to let it happen, not because of luck.

The play he called on the TD pass to tie it was a thing of beauty, too...not luck.

And any way you slice it, it takes more than luck to be tied with Bama with three seconds to go in the game.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 07, 2014, 02:26:27 pm
I don't like Malzahn, but he put a returner in the end zone to run back that kick.  He also said as soon as the game was over...not after he had time to think about it...that he realized there were probably only 3-4 players on the Bama field goal team who had the speed and athleticism to tackle his returner.  Auburn's last TD happened because he put a player in a place to let it happen, not because of luck.

The play he called on the TD pass to tie it was a thing of beauty, too...not luck.

And any way you slice it, it takes more than luck to be tied with Bama with three seconds to go in the game.

Good strategy, Bama mistakes, things falling the right way. 

I am not sure there are any teams in college football that could line up and beat Bama five out of ten times.  You just have to be in a position to take advantage when the opportunity arises.  If they don't make mistakes, it is hard to defeat them.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 01:47:18 pm
I just disagree.  I offer Rick Pitino  and Louisville as proof. And then there were the rumors about Urban.

Disagree all you like.  Pitino, like Petrino began with a very bad misstep.  But as I recall, after he was accused of rape and he admitted the sex but denied the rape, Pitino took a polygraph test and the result of the polygraph test showed NDI - no deception indicated. In other words - he made a serious mess, but he also made a serious attempt to set the record straight.  And he didn't deliberately drag the school into the middle of it all. 

In that matter, I probably still would have fired Pitino because the scandal was ugly and didn't make the school look good. But, in my opinion, Petrino and his scandal made UA look even more foolish than Pitino's did Louisville.  Again - he went so far as to hire the mistress for a job at the school which literally dragged the school right into the middle of the mess.  Her salary in the job was literally more than a very high percentage of Arkansan's make in a year. Pitino's fling/mistress was convicted of extortion. 

Petrino also tried to make himself look heroic at the press conference (by appearing to be the brave and strong, badly injured victim of the tragic accident, instead of the honest boy-did-I-catch-myself-in-my-neighbor's barbed-wire fence naughty-boy).  By doing so he was begging for lights and cameras even though he knew he was being deceptive.  If Bobby had not done those two things, I would have probably been willing to let it go with some sincere apologies, and a few reasonable sanctions.  For if he had not done those things it truly would have just been a person indiscretion.  It was more than personal when the job and the razorback press conference clearly did not come up NDI.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2014, 02:08:13 pm
Just as a side not to this conversation.....I've watched several of last years games again and there are easily four games that could have had a different outcome if our players hadn't come down with the "shoot yourself in the foot" disease.  There were dropped passes, injuries, missed tackles and bad quarterbacking that gave away big gains or touchdowns, etc.  Fumbles when we are about to score.  Add to that Ash's very conservative no pressure defense that we played mostly with an already soft secondary.  I don't think there was one thing that went right for this team last year.  Then you tack on the fact that the coaches seemed to try some trickery to gain an advantage because they were feeling the pressure to give the kids an advantage to win and when those didn't work the team was even further in the hole. 

Just change most of that and I can't help but believe we will be greatly improved.

Add to that a QB who played with an injury that was worse than publicized, and a lack of a decent back-up, and you make a strong argument. 

But that's why they pay them the big bucks AND that's why they deserve another 2-4 years.  Time will tell.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

EastexHawg

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on February 07, 2014, 01:57:45 pm
An example that shows the opposite of Pitino is the story of Mike Dubose.  He was kept at Bama after indiscretions his program went from a #8 finish in the country to 3-8.  It took Bama six years to recover.

Dubose was never much of a coach in the first place.  Besides the one 10-3 season with Shaun Alexander his overall record at Bama was 14-20. Where is he coaching these days?

I have a hard time believing the "players won't want to play for him and recruits won't want to sign with him" arguments.  We're talking about 17-22 year old, testosterone filled young men.  If I had found out as a teenager that one of my coaches was banging the hot science teacher I would have probably wanted to high five him.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 07, 2014, 02:34:35 pm
Dubose was never much of a coach in the first place.  Besides the one 10-3 season with Shaun Alexander his overall record at Bama was 14-20. Where is he coaching these days?

I have a hard time believing the "players won't want to play for him and recruits won't want to sign with him" arguments.  We're talking about 17-22 year old, testosterone filled young men.  If I had found out as a teenager that one of my coaches was banging the hot science teacher I would have probably wanted to high five him.

Unfortunately mom or dad have to sign too. Nature of the beast. Dad won't sign if momma don't want him to, it would suck to get cut off for four years.

IllinoisRazorbackFan

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2014, 08:00:29 am
Here is the answer from most of those that would say that:

*  I don't like coach B so I'm going to dump on anything he's trying to build.
*  I have attention deficit disorder and the only way you can keep me interested in a football game is to throw the ball all over the place.
*  I hate Jeff Long.
*  I heard someone say you "Can't out Bama Alabama" and it's a nice catch phrase that I can use without having to explain myself, since I really don't have a thought of my own.
*  I really don't know football, but behind the firewall I can claim to be 6'6", 345 lbs and 2% body fat.

From my perspective I have to ask this.  If you "Can't out Bama Alabama" then just what did Oklahoma do to them this year?
very big difference between the talent level of Arkansas and Oklahoma sparky. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 07, 2014, 02:33:22 pm
Disagree all you like.  Pitino, like Petrino began with a very bad misstep.  But as I recall, after he was accused of rape and he admitted the sex but denied the rape, Pitino took a polygraph test and the result of the polygraph test showed NDI - no deception indicated. In other words - he made a serious mess, but he also made a serious attempt to set the record straight.  And he didn't deliberately drag the school into the middle of it all. 

In that matter, I probably still would have fired Pitino because the scandal was ugly and didn't make the school look good. But, in my opinion, Petrino and his scandal made UA look even more foolish than Pitino's did Louisville.  Again - he went so far as to hire the mistress for a job at the school which literally dragged the school right into the middle of the mess.  Her salary in the job was literally more than a very high percentage of Arkansan's make in a year. Pitino's fling/mistress was convicted of extortion. 

Yeah, Pitino fessed up...six or seven years after the fact.  He was paying off the wife of an athletic department staffer...the staffer was delivering her demands to Pitino...to keep her quiet.  No, I can't see any possible conflict of interest there.

Did I mention that he had already paid for the woman to have an abortion?

It wasn't until she tried to extort $10 million from him to maintain her silence that Pitino decided to go to law enforcement.  He didn't come clean because he wanted to be truthful to his employer, he did it because her blackmail demands were escalating and he could no longer afford to pay them.

By the way, Pitino had another employee standing guard for him in the restaurant so he could do his business...so this wasn't some fling that was completely unrelated to his university and his job.

TUSKtimes

The talent level at Bama is making it almost impossible to beat the Tide. I would say that poor scheme recognition (HUNH), poor DB play and inconsistent O-line, was a final factor in our quest to three-peat. Lack of leadership kind of stunk up the joint as well.

Hard to see how Bielema can get his Wisconsin groove on with this team, when he's recruiting at this pace. But when he came to the SEC, I felt he was a good coach and way to early to believe he won't eventually become a menace to everyone on schedule.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 07, 2014, 02:34:35 pm

But suppose he had lied to the fans and to his boss about it?  Would you trust him to tell the truth?  You and I both know that psyche of a college player is just as important as testosterone.

It takes a great deal of trust on both sides to build a championship team.  That has to be the aim.  Not going to the Cotton Bowl.  A championship team.

You may be right but it goes against everything I have experienced with high school athletes.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 07, 2014, 02:42:06 pm
Yeah, Pitino fessed up...six or seven years after the fact.  He was paying off the wife of an athletic department staffer...the staffer was delivering her demands to Pitino...to keep her quiet.  No, I can't see any possible conflict of interest there.

Did I mention that he had already paid for the woman to have an abortion?

It wasn't until she tried to extort $10 million from him to maintain her silence that Pitino decided to go to law enforcement.  He didn't come clean because he wanted to be truthful to his employer, he did it because her blackmail demands were escalating and he could no longer afford to pay them.

By the way, Pitino had another employee standing guard for him in the restaurant so he could do his business...so this wasn't some fling that was completely unrelated to his university and his job.

I had forgotten about or didn't know the employee was also involved. However, as I mentioned, I would likely have fired Pitino anyway.  And I still think Petrino's scandal was worse since he clearly hired the mistress and begged for attention even though he knew he was lying.  Either way - I personally think you fire them both.  Louisville didn't fire Pitino and they rehired Petrino.  And I'm glad I'm a Hog fan and not a Cardinal fan.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on February 07, 2014, 02:45:33 pm
But suppose he had lied to the fans and to his boss about it?  Would you trust him to tell the truth?  You and I both know that psyche of a college player is just as important as testosterone.

It takes a great deal of trust on both sides to build a championship team.  That has to be the aim.  Not going to the Cotton Bowl.  A championship team.

You may be right but it goes against everything I have experienced with high school athletes.

whoa whoa whoa whoa..... You mean the Cotton Bowl isn't our National Championship Game? Damn Nutt lied to me!!!!!

LZH

No secret that my confidence in BB is shaky, but there is nothing wrong with his idea of football.  It can win here.  Hell, it can win anywhere if your coach is committed and knows what he's doing.  If you can recruit good players then whatever offensive 'system' you run is secondary.  And oh btw, yeah, defense does win championships.

Look at what Nutt did with a run-heavy offense.  You can't tell me that if he'd ever have recruited or developed a decent QB that he wouldn't have had numerous 10-win seasons.  We didn't have to throw it 30-40 times a game, we just needed to be effective whenever we did.  And I damn sure think more of BB as a coach than I ever did Nutt (and I can't be alone on this).  One good thing is, he doesn't coach the offense and/or call the plays so he doesn't pretend to know it all, therefore his pride/authority isn't tested by an offensive coach with new ideas.  And before anyone reminds me how Alabama wasn't the same 10 years ago as they are now....LSU and Auburn had some hellacious lines in those days, as good as anyone in the country.

So, yeah, as long as BB is the teacher and recruiter we all hoped he was when he got here, his type of football win will here.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 02:50:23 pm

whoa whoa whoa whoa..... You mean the Cotton Bowl isn't our National Championship Game? Damn Nutt lied to me!!!!!

I am so sorry to shatter your illusions.

wachhog

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 02:38:11 pm
Unfortunately mom or dad have to sign too. Nature of the beast. Dad won't sign if momma don't want him to, it would suck to get cut off for four years.
Well, let's be real about the father situation for many of these recruits.

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 07, 2014, 02:51:32 pm
Look at what Nutt did with a run-heavy offense.  You can't tell me that if he'd ever have recruited or developed a decent QB that he wouldn't have had numerous 10-win seasons.  We didn't have to throw it 30-40 times a game, we just needed to be effective whenever we did.  And I damn sure think more of BB as a coach than I ever did Nutt (and I can't be alone on this). 

But just imagine what Nutt could have done with just a little, very little bit of offensive creativity.  I honestly believe everything lined up for him to win an NC and he blew it.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Notshavin on February 07, 2014, 02:54:49 pm
But just imagine what Nutt could have done with just a little, very little bit of offensive creativity.  I honestly believe everything lined up for him to win an NC and he blew it.

He sure had the cards.  Pity he dropped them on the card table.

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on February 07, 2014, 02:56:47 pm
He sure had the cards.  Pity he dropped them on the card table.

And we all bent over to try to quickly pick them up....and, well we all know what happened then..

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on February 07, 2014, 02:53:17 pm
I am so sorry to shatter your illusions.

Oh well.... Guess he's off my Christmas card list.

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 02:54:00 pm
Well, let's be real about the father situation for many of these recruits.

I am. And thats why I said it. Single mothers for the most part would look to another program if the coach is spending too much time alleycattin around (possibly like their sons dad). Dealt with one scumbag at home and not sending their son off to learn from another.

Absolutely. And that might be MOST of the reason he's not coaching anymore. He had a lot of talent at the correct places to let Gus have some fun. But it scared him I think maybe? He never has really talked candidly about it.

SPAL

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 07, 2014, 07:11:12 am
I don't get this. What does it even mean. 0-4 means Petrino couldn't beat Bama doing his thing. There was a stat during a Bama game that said teams that ran a certain amount of times for a certain amount of plays usually beat Bama.

Please explain what "can't out Bama Alabama"  means.
It means you can't line up and play the same style of football better tHan Alabama plays that style.

An odd question that doesn't seem to need the help of hogville to answer.

EastexHawg

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 07, 2014, 02:51:32 pm
Look at what Nutt did with a run-heavy offense.

The SEC West was terrible for most of Nutt's time at Arkansas.  When he had this glorious "turnaround" season in 1998 Alabama was mediocre at best and both LSU and Auburn were awful.  The best record of any team he beat that year was 7-5.  When he finally played teams that won eight or more games at the end of the season he lost all of them..sandwiched around a win over a 4-7 LSU team.

The records of the Alabama teams Nutt beat were 7-5, 3-8, 4-9, 6-6, and 6-7.  Other than the triple overtime win in 2007 the best LSU team he beat was 8-4 in Saban's first year.  South Carolina wasn't the 10-11 win program they have recently become.  Nutt beat two SC teams with winning records in his ten years.

Nutt wasn't coaching against the SEC of Petrino or Bielema.  During his tenure most of the power was in the East.  He had a combined record of 2-13 against the best teams in the East (Florida, Tennessee, Georgia) during that time.

Apples to oxcarts.

Oliver

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 07, 2014, 02:48:23 pm
I had forgotten about or didn't know the employee was also involved. However, as I mentioned, I would likely have fired Pitino anyway.  And I still think Petrino's scandal was worse since he clearly hired the mistress and begged for attention even though he knew he was lying.  Either way - I personally think you fire them both.  Louisville didn't fire Pitino and they rehired Petrino.  And I'm glad I'm a Hog fan and not a Cardinal fan.

I'm glad I'm a Hog fan, but I wish my university would make the Louisville type athletic dept decisions instead of the ones we've been making

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 03:01:36 pm
Absolutely. And that might be MOST of the reason he's not coaching anymore. He had a lot of talent at the correct places to let Gus have some fun. But it scared him I think maybe? He never has really talked candidly about it.

I'm not going to bog this down anymore after this with Nutt-talk, bc he isn't worth it.  But it surprises me how quickly fans forget, or how little they know.

Nutt was VERY candid at the end of that last season with Gus.  Just one direct quote he gave on radio:

"I said to Gus, what about the HUNH?"

There's a lot more, but I'll stop there.

Back to the argument, BB is a proven good head coach and so that's why he deserves the time.  But IMO, good head coaches who can continue to be good adjust.  Unlike HDN.

HF#1

The formula for beating Alabama isn't that difficult.  Yes, you have to have talent.  But you don't have to have a roster full of 5 stars.   You have to match their physicality for 4 quarters.  You have to force them into a few mistakes (Turnovers).  And finally, you have to make a few big plays (preferably off said turnovers). 

Style matters not.  Auburn was able to play with and beat Alabama because they matched their physical style and force a couple mistakes including the one that won the game.  Same with South Carolina when they beat them.  This theory that you have to match them 5 star for 5 star is stupid. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

LZH

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 07, 2014, 03:08:22 pm
The SEC West was terrible for most of Nutt's time at Arkansas.  When he had this glorious "turnaround" season in 1998 Alabama was mediocre at best and both LSU and Auburn were awful.  The best record of any team he beat that year was 7-5.  When he finally played teams that won eight or more games at the end of the season he lost all of them..sandwiched around a win over a 4-7 LSU team.

The records of the Alabama teams Nutt beat were 7-5, 3-8, 4-9, 6-6, and 6-7.  Other than the triple overtime win in 2007 the best LSU team he beat was 8-4 in Saban's first year.  South Carolina wasn't the 10-11 win program they have recently become.  Nutt beat two SC teams with winning records in his ten years.

Nutt wasn't coaching against the SEC of Petrino or Bielema.  During his tenure most of the power was in the East.  He had a combined record of 2-13 against the best teams in the East (Florida, Tennessee, Georgia) during that time.

Apples to oxcarts.

I think you totally missed my point.

hawg IQ

I don't get this. What does it even mean. 0-4 means Petrino couldn't beat Bama doing his thing. There was a stat during a Bama game that said teams that ran a certain amount of times for a certain amount of plays usually beat Bama.

see Auburn.. also see Okla
go hogs go !

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Oliver on February 07, 2014, 03:10:09 pm
I'm glad I'm a Hog fan, but I wish my university would make the Louisville type athletic dept decisions instead of the ones we've been making

Well said.  However, many good Arkansas fans disagree with you.  That does not mean you are bereft of intelligence or that they are.

Very few decisions are 0-100%, even fewer are 50-50.  You have to make decisions based on the information you have at the time. 

IMHO, bad decisions put a culture in place in Bud Walton that has been hard to change.  Neither Stan Heath or John Pelphrey IMHO was a good idea for Arkansas.  {Saying that, having a few Pels on this years team would have made us a lot better.  Totally unselfish player who gave all for the team.)

In retrospect, we should have known what would probably happen with Coach Petrino.  However you have to balance that with the knowledge that only Jim Grobe and Bowden had expressed any interest at all in the job. 

I still believe that Jeff Long made the correct decision knowing all the facts and balancing them when he both hired and fired Bobby Petrino.

Quote from: HogFan#1 on February 07, 2014, 03:13:58 pm
The formula for beating Alabama isn't that difficult.  Yes, you have to have talent.  But you don't have to have a roster full of 5 stars.   You have to match their physicality for 4 quarters.  You have to force them into a few mistakes (Turnovers).  And finally, you have to make a few big plays (preferably off said turnovers).   

Agree 100%.  And that's what we heard in the Spring would happen, along with "loving to throw the bomb", better offense.  We even saw some evidence of it in practice.

That's why it was such a let down when we saw missed tackles and lack of physicality....even at HOME! I didn't even expect to win the game, just show that you care!  You have to overcome the injuries, the dropped passes, and at least motivate what you have until you get who you need.

The NewEra

Quote from: IllinoisRazorbackFan on February 07, 2014, 02:38:40 pm
very big difference between the talent level of Arkansas and Oklahoma sparky.

Obviously you don't need a time machine to live in the past Clyde.

dgfclt

Not many people outbama Alabama at the moment.  When Hitler is gone they will come back to the pack.

Peter Porker

You talking 2006 when we were blown out at home by USC?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 08, 2014, 07:00:21 am

Yeah. And then won 10 in a row...you talking about that one?

Hogs-n-Roses

It means they have a big,mean and strong program from the field to their PTB, to their commitment to winning and football. From recruiting to staffing. In the last 2 years we have recruited 5-7 four and five star recruits. That means that we'll prolly have somewhere between 12-15 over a 4 year period. They'll have 75-80. At all times they'll have a NC caliber team on the field and on the bench. We can't even have a player or to go down or we aren't competitive ala our back 7 on defense the last couple of years.

CDBHawg

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 08, 2014, 07:00:21 am

And then switched QBs and won 10 straight.....yeah, that's the year.

Peter Porker

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 08, 2014, 07:45:30 am
Yeah. And then won 10 in a row...you talking about that one?

And then lost 3 in a row. Only in Arkansas would a 4 loss team play for a national championship.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: CDBHawg on February 08, 2014, 08:07:08 am
And then switched QBs and won 10 straight.....yeah, that's the year.

We won despite the QB, not because of him.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Notshavin on February 07, 2014, 03:24:34 pm
Agree 100%.  And that's what we heard in the Spring would happen, along with "loving to throw the bomb", better offense.  We even saw some evidence of it in practice.

That's why it was such a let down when we saw missed tackles and lack of physicality....even at HOME! I didn't even expect to win the game, just show that you care!  You have to overcome the injuries, the dropped passes, and at least motivate what you have until you get who you need.

You ever play organized football?  Just curious.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 08, 2014, 08:31:12 am
And then lost 3 in a row. Only in Arkansas would a 4 loss team play for a national championship.

Pay attention to what I said, without adding anything, start from the top of the page and read down. Don't add anything anyone else said, and you'll see that it was reasonable. Offensive creativity would have been nice that year and who knows where we would have ended up. We lost to USC after starting Robert Johnson at QB. Mustain moved the ball well toward the end of that game. Would we have played for a NC? Who knows, but what better Backs can you think of to help a freshman QB than McFadden & Jones?

Pig In The City

Alabama has historically beaten teams by sheer intimidation.  If you defeat your opponents mind, then you don't have to worry about his physicality.  If you can't be intimidated, you can stay in the game with Bama.  Everything that goes up, must come down and so to with Bama.  You can't intimidate forever.  Manziel ruptured the armor of intimidation and teams are just not scared of them anymore.  Any hard-nosed football team can go toe to toe with them, but it is a battle.  I've seen Arkansas football players completely check out of games after big hits against Bama.  You gotta want it.  You have to be driven.

ifghog

That happens all the time in big business, too. It does not make it right, but it happens and those companies don't seem to be adversely affected. 
Man I work in "Big Business" we fired our best 2 sales people last year for having an affair while on the road working together. Depends on the Moral compass of your business leaders which I am. I loved both of these people as I am who trained them. I also fired them. They knew it was unacceptable. We don't allow it. Sometimes doing the right thing is better....although it sucks at times....than money or winning. It hurt us but....we are now producing more than when they were here.

jlhogfan

Quote from: HogFanDallas on February 08, 2014, 08:53:10 am
Alabama has historically beaten teams by sheer intimidation.  If you defeat your opponents mind, then you don't have to worry about his physicality.  If you can't be intimidated, you can stay in the game with Bama.  Everything that goes up, must come down and so to with Bama.  You can't intimidate forever.  Manziel ruptured the armor of intimidation and teams are just not scared of them anymore.  Any hard-nosed football team can go toe to toe with them, but it is a battle.  I've seen Arkansas football players completely check out of games after big hits against Bama.  You gotta want it.  You have to be driven.

Intimidated by what? 

CDBHawg

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 08, 2014, 08:31:49 am
We won despite the QB, not because of him.

8-0 with him starting, 2-4 without. Spin it how you wish.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MiHogsMi on February 07, 2014, 09:35:55 am

I have no idea....why don't you answer your own question. 

The OP asked a question.  I'm one of thousands of posters here on Hogville.  I gave the OP an answer as I see it.

I think that was the point to him asking you a question - he wanted to expose your flawed hypothesis. And he is one of thousands as well. Just a simple counterpoint by using a question. Very common debating tactic.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

One tiny flaw in your big business analogy. Big business generally means for-profit with a revenue stream that creates said profits.

UofA would be closer to non-profit - depending upon donations. Many non-profits do have a revenue stream, but to continue in their business they must have donations. Thus UofA's revenue stream is tickets and licensing. Neither can support the program, so donations are needed.

Work for a non-profit and you will realize PR can dry up donations. Most major donors to non-profits give based upon the belief the CEO of the non-profit can continue the cause. Many of those egomaniacs you speak of were most likely major donors. Many doubt CBP could have continued the cause of winning.

Is CBB the answer? To early to tell. If he doesn't then those egomaniacs will once again tell the CEO of the non-profit we will not donate until we are moving toward the cause of winning again.

We are a non-profit not big business.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hambone

Quote from: colbs on February 07, 2014, 12:07:29 pm
So is Arkansas going to come up with some new scheme to win?  Every style of offense in cfb has a team that has better players per the recruiting services than Arkansas.

This isn't true. Missouri just won their division with overall talent less than that of Arkansas according to recruiting gurus.

You have to run a system that accentuates your positives to their fullest potential.

I find it hilarious that since joining the SEC, we have only been a passing team that also runs the ball 8 seasons out of 20+. In those 8 seasons, 2 were 10 win seasons, our only BCS bowl, finished ranked in the top 25 five times, went to 5 bowls games and had a 3-2 record in those bowl games.

What makes it hilarious is that our twit fanbase thinks we should be a power running attack with a defense first mentality. LOL!

We have tried that power running game without an average passing attack for the remaining 14 seasons with a grand total of 1 ten win season, ZERO BCS bowls, 6 bowl appearance (4 of which were Las Vegas, Shreveport, and Music City), but wait for it........3 SEC championship game appearance in which only one was competitive.

Just makes you wonder "how bad was the SEC those three years we went to the championship game"?

Einstein said that doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result was his definition of insanity.

I would dare say those who believe that our latest attempt at out Bama'ing Bama will work out a high level meet Einstein's criteria.

Chief Mac

I don't give a ratsbutt what offense you want to run, until Arkansas coaches are dedicated to fielding a good (doesn't have to be great) defense, we will continue to get beat by the best in the conference. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

uams1989

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on February 07, 2014, 08:13:06 am
All it takes in one good game plan, and get your kids emotionaly ready to play.

Think about this.

Nutt beat Bama his first year at Ole Miss. MOTHO beat Bama. Think about that. Let it sink in. It can be done, and they wern't exactly using a sophistated passing scheme.

Uh...Nutt didn't beat Bama while at Ole Miss. Last time Ole Miss beat Bama was with Cutcliffe and Eli Manning.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."