Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USA TODAY February 6, 2014 called Arkansas' 2014 signing class a LOSER

Started by Westcoasthog, February 06, 2014, 11:14:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: Batesville Hogfan on February 07, 2014, 06:21:07 pm
The good news is Les (with more) Miles will lose some games to us even with superior talent and Nick Saban will retire one day.

Now this is something we can all agree on.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 07, 2014, 05:56:00 pm
Me too.  Some guys get on here and say "you just want BB to fail so you can say you were right all along".  That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard.  I care about what happens to this program...OUR program...always have, always will.

That's just silly. But it is an emotional topic, a little too emotional for some.
This is my non-signature signature.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Batesville Hogfan on February 07, 2014, 06:21:07 pm
Fact is when Bama and LSU are on we aren't going to beat them regardless of the system we run. The good news is Les (with more) Miles will lose some games to us even with superior talent and Nick Saban will retire one day.

I don't think that's accurate. We beat Miles in 2007 and they won the NC game that year.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 07, 2014, 10:55:02 am
Players want to play for Bielema - fact

Petrino cheated on his wife, lied to his boss, let down his players and coaches, and DESTROYED our program - fact

Petrino's class at Louisville was one of the worst ever - fact

There's so much evidence Petrino had a crappy personality. You could see it in his interviews, you could see it by what happened at the Cotton Bowl - fact

Oh no, here we go with another "I don't understand the definition of the word FACT" episode. I guess it's true what they say about American public school educations these days.

Hoggish1

You are the Loser, for bringing irrelevant stuff to this board Wescoasthog!

HiggiePiggy

A real fact is that we went 3-9 last year. Get over the CBP crap.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

whiskeyNwater2.0

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 07, 2014, 04:39:29 pm
It is reality.  Nice motivational speech but it doesn't change our situation.  We are a long shot to ever win a NC.  It could happen just as an SEC Ch may happen.  But it isn't going to happen immediately as we don't sign immediate help at many positions.  The defense is going to have to be developed over multiple seasons to the point it isn't a liability.

Nothing about my post was meant to be a motivation speech. No matter what cliches (blue collar) fans use to justify signing defensive secondary recruits that the rest of the SEC passed on it is not a recipe for building a quality SEC defense. 5 star kids are the most likely kids to make the transition in year 1 or 2 and become a quality SEC starter.

Arkansas is never going to sign many of those guys but to execute 3 year plan building a quality defense you have to bring in a majority of middle of the pack kids (5.7 3 star minimum type kids with multiple SEC offers) the statistics show that the majority of your kids better be at least that highly recruited if you expect to find the number of players needed to field a quality team.

The problem is Alabama and LSU who enjoy signing classes overflowing with blue chip talent, Arkansas biggest needs (LB & Safety) this year signed all recruits who are on the other end of the spectrum. We didn't sign 2 or 3 quality LB & Safeties with multiple SEC schools and one unbanked project prospect with no other SEC offers. We signed only the latter. Our back 7 signed only kids who had no other SEC options and simple statistics have proven that it is impossible to build a quality SEC defense with nothing but projects.

LZH

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 07, 2014, 09:49:43 pm
You are the Loser, for bringing irrelevant stuff to this board Wescoasthog!

How could the most recent recruiting class be irrelevant?

cityhog

hoglady

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 07, 2014, 05:54:50 pm
It's ONE season.  One.  If it becomes the norm over the next few, then it's a cause for concern.  Using ONE as a sample size for just about anything is typically a very bad decision. 

But...it won't keep the program detractors from using it to fit their agenda.   ::)

We signed some nice players in this class. Some of our coaches did a great job of recruiting, some not so much. We should still be concerned we got out recruited by Kentucky's new coaching staff - that just really shouldn't happen ever.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

FATHAWG08

Quote from: lrcentral on February 06, 2014, 11:27:07 pm
How can people predict how well an 18 year will play. My 6'4 230 kid is better than your 6'4 230 kid. Heck pros scouts cant even predict how 23 year olds will do at the next level. Its all a crap shoot.
spot on!! we won't know for several years. CBB is building this team from the inside out. Our O-Line classes the last 2 season has been impressive. Just keep loading up the big fellas and the skill players will come. My concern right now is the defense. If we address this side of the football we will be competitive.
I love off season Football!!

whiskeyNwater2.0

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on February 07, 2014, 10:24:41 pm
spot on!! we won't know for several years. CBB is building this team from the inside out. Our O-Line classes the last 2 season has been impressive. Just keep loading up the big fellas and the skill players will come. My concern right now is the defense. If we address this side of the football we will be competitive.

Say what you want about recruiting rankings but the proof is there. What we know is zero SEC teams who recruit outside of the top 20 have ever won the SEC title. You can give examples of 2 star who ended up great and 5 stars who were busts. It's not about every kid being ranked perfect. It's about signing 10-15 4 and 5 stars so you get 8 or 9 that live up to expectation. When you have 10-15 project 2 stars only 2'or 3 end up being SEC starters for winning teams. It's no coincidence that the SEC champion year in year out is recognized as one of the best at recruiting.

I honestly don't see how people still try to downplay the significance of recruiting rankings and the fact that the SEC champ and BCS national champ continues to be teams who rank in the top 10-15 nationally year in year out in recruiting rankings.

The other argument is fans using Boise, TCU and Similar schools who have been successful to disprove recruiting rankings. The interesting thing they fail to mention is none of these teams are SEC teams. We don't play in the Mountain West. we don't play in the Big 12.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: whiskeyNwater2.0 on February 07, 2014, 11:21:05 pm
Say what you want about recruiting rankings but the proof is there. What we know is zero SEC teams who recruit outside of the top 20 have ever won the SEC title. You can give examples of 2 star who ended up great and 5 stars who were busts. It's not about every kid being ranked perfect. It's about signing 10-15 4 and 5 stars so you get 8 or 9 that live up to expectation. When you have 10-15 project 2 stars only 2'or 3 end up being SEC starters for winning teams. It's no coincidence that the SEC champion year in year out is recognized as one of the best at recruiting.

I honestly don't see how people still try to downplay the significance of recruiting rankings and the fact that the SEC champ and BCS national champ continues to be teams who rank in the top 10-15 nationally year in year out in recruiting rankings.

The other argument is fans using Boise, TCU and Similar schools who have been successful to disprove recruiting rankings. The interesting thing they fail to mention is none of these teams are SEC teams. We don't play in the Mountain West. we don't play in the Big 12.

So...you're saying stars do matter?   ;D ;)

I'm with you 100%.  I think it's feasible to win it if you can crack the top 15 regularly, but even with that...in today's SEC, that would put you mid pack at best. 

I don't think you win the NC with rankings outside the top 20 without an amazing talent at QB, and probably a tenured defense with some great players, but lightning could strike...eventually, someday, maybe?   :-X

It's a harsh reality...I agree.  But...who would have ever thought Auburn would do what they did last season, regardless of their talent level?  Strange things do happen...

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

rusvegashog

Truth is Coach Nutt was not as bad As folks made him out to be and Petrino not as great. We are fortunate to have the coach we have. Our recruiting rankings are as good as to be expected for this year. Time will tell. Tenner has always and will always be able to recruit. I've always personally felt that Kentucky is a sleeping giant of a program. Arkansas is at a recruiting disadvantage to every other school in the league apart from Mizzou. We need development and consistency in th Razorback program. Time will tell. WPS

rusvegashog

If we can recruit and develop some defensive talent we will win some big games under Beilema. Need Pittman to stay and a defensive coach who carries the same clout as him to stick around also. Outside of the occasional top 20 class, to think we will ever recruit anything but in the 20's is wishful thinking. Still I never thought we would be as relevant as we were when petrino was here. So who knows? Also not to beat a dead horse, but the game in Dallas and becoming the presence in the state of Texas that we so desperately need to be are paramount to our success. Just my opinion. WPS

twistitup

Quote from: rusvegashog on February 08, 2014, 03:48:12 am
Truth is Coach Nutt was not as bad As folks made him out to be and Petrino not as great. We are fortunate to have the coach we have. Our recruiting rankings are as good as to be expected for this year. Time will tell. Tenner has always and will always be able to recruit. I've always personally felt that Kentucky is a sleeping giant of a program. Arkansas is at a recruiting disadvantage to every other school in the league apart from Mizzou. We need development and consistency in th Razorback program. Time will tell. WPS

You've always felt Kentucky was a sleeping giant? Football? I must not be reading into the sarcasm
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

rude1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 07, 2014, 04:39:29 pm
It is reality.  Nice motivational speech but it doesn't change our situation.  We are a long shot to ever win a NC.  It could happen just as an SEC Ch may happen.  But it isn't going to happen immediately as we don't sign immediate help at many positions.  The defense is going to have to be developed over multiple seasons to the point it isn't a liability. 
Here is the problem as I see it, if we are going to say on one hand that the defense will be bad for several more seasons, excepting the fact that we are going to give up plenty of points. But at the same time we are designing an offense that's not designed to put up a lot of points, how and where do the wins come  from while we are waiting on the defense to be developed?

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: wachhog on February 06, 2014, 11:32:33 pm
Something new and innovative. Whatever a brilliant, innovative entrepreneur-like coach came up with.

So the head coach just throws caution to the wind and goes about implementing the latest flavor of offense!  To hell with continuity and identifying areas of need, we'll just go one year to the next winging it during recruiting because our scheme is continually evolving.  (Where is that head banging brick wall emocon?)   

weresoclose

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 06:35:14 pm
I don't think that's accurate. We beat Miles in 2007 and they won the NC game that year.

So it's 101% accurate?  Too accurate to be accurate?

Großer Kriegschwein

AubbieFan89

Only people who say that are fans of teams who do not consistently get those classes. It is like those folks who say money does not matter. Those folks tend to be on the lacking side of it. This is a continuous argument among college fans and I think ESPN or Yahoo sports does an annual check up on it. I think it was close to the average class being top 15 or higher for every NC in the BCS era.

weresoclose

870hogfan

Pig In The City

Quote from: rude1 on February 08, 2014, 06:41:04 am
Here is the problem as I see it, if we are going to say on one hand that the defense will be bad for several more seasons, excepting the fact that we are going to give up plenty of points. But at the same time we are designing an offense that's not designed to put up a lot of points, how and where do the wins come  from while we are waiting on the defense to be developed?

There are no guarantees in the SEC.  But we can play competitive game in and game out once our offense gets on track.  We will beat teams simply by time of possession/ball control, not beating ourselves, letting the other team make the mistakes, our OL obliterating whatever is in front of them and fatiguing their defense in the second half.  We must get a QB that can call the right protections and audibles, deal with 8 in the box, make throws on third down, and lead the offense on 8 and 9 minute drives...not 3 and out like last year. 

Running CBB's offense isn't as easy to pick up for a QB as the hurry ups.  I will give that much to BA along with the injury.  He was stepping into an offense he was totally unfamiliar.   I believe in what is happening on the Hill.  It has been a long time coming...stability.

jkstock04

People will conveniently ignore the stuff you listed because it is all fact & doesn't bode well for us. What really puts an explanation point on it is what you say about the SEC. It's sort of laughable to me when people bring in schools like TCU, Kansas State, Boise St...etc as proof that WE don't have to recruit highly in order to be successful. Those teams aren't in the SEC, therefore in my opinion it's of little or no relevance.

What Mizzou accomplished this past year is the closest I have seen in recent history to serious success by a SEC team that doesn't recruit with the big boys. Of course when I point that out everyone wants to say they were just lucky, and had an easy schedule...maybe so.

Basically we are banking on something that no SEC team has ever done. Chances obviously aren't good. Maybe the Hogs will be the first to break through that force field.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

twistitup

Quote from: weresoclose on February 08, 2014, 07:59:40 am
I like our 2014 class.  A lot. 

Of course you say that, to say different would mean weresofaraway
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rude1 on February 08, 2014, 06:41:04 am

The offense isn't designed to put up a lot of points?  That isn't true in the least. 

Several was also not used with the defense.  It may be 2-3 seasons.  Multiple doesn't equal several.

But if you want to talk in theories about our offense vs the hurry up's, our offense could be much more beneficial to a defense in theory as it could "shorten" games by limiting the opposing offense's time and possessions.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogFanDallas on February 08, 2014, 08:23:29 am
There are no guarantees in the SEC.  But we can play competitive game in and game out once our offense gets on track.  We will beat teams simply by time of possession/ball control, not beating ourselves, letting the other team make the mistakes, our OL obliterating whatever is in front of them and fatiguing their defense in the second half.  We must get a QB that can call the right protections and audibles, deal with 8 in the box, make throws on third down, and lead the offense on 8 and 9 minute drives...not 3 and out like last year. 

Running CBB's offense isn't as easy to pick up for a QB as the hurry ups.  I will give that much to BA along with the injury.  He was stepping into an offense he was totally unfamiliar.   I believe in what is happening on the Hill.  It has been a long time coming...stability.

Playcalls last season set Allen up for big plays many of which would have been TD's.  Either he or the wr or both failed on the play.  You can lay part of the blame on the injury probably.  The offensive side is much easier to find immediate help like JoJo perhaps. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

three hog night

I think we get caught up in how bad the offense looked while BA injured and Derby was playing or starting.   I feel the offense changed as the season went along.   It was open at times against the cupcakes, but became run heavy until BA's injury started to level off.   What we saw by LSU would be more of the Chaney Bielema hybrid offense, with a 50/50 run pass.   At LSU, BA could finally make some throws , the Oline was doing much better with comfortable Freshman, and some WR and TE stepped up. 

ARK  LSU
1st Downs   17   25
Total Yards   360   470
Passing   178   232
Rushing   182   238
Penalties   2-15   7-33
3rd Down    5-12   7-12
4th Down    0-0   0-1
Turnovers   2   2
Possession   31:14   28:46
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Westcoasthog

The Bionic Pig referring to your post - I am NOT LOYAL to Bobby Petrino, and I DO NOT HAVE A STRONG DISLIKE of Arkansas Coach Bret Bielema and Athletic Director Jeff Long.  This is to clear up your posting.

hog911

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 06, 2014, 11:30:35 pm
Posts like this just don't make sense.

It's easy try applying common sense! It's seem to be lacking on this site!

Westcoasthog

The Bionic Pig -  Response to your posting - My loyalty was not to former Arkansas Coach Bobby Petrino, and I DO NOT HAVE A STRONG DISLIKE  for Arkansas Coach Bret Bielema, and Arkansas Athletic Director Jeff Long.

Westcoasthog

Regarding your posting The Bionic Pig - My loyalty was not to Bobby Petrino, and I DID NOT have a strong dislike of Coach Bret Bielema and Arkansas Athletic Director Jeff Long.

TxArky

Quote from: lrcentral on February 06, 2014, 11:27:07 pm
How can people predict how well an 18 year will play. My 6'4 230 kid is better than your 6'4 230 kid. Heck pros scouts cant even predict how 23 year olds will do at the next level. Its all a crap shoot.

That isn't entirely true.  While there are some outliers, first rounders are usually better than second rounders (and so on and so forth).  The same typically goes for college recruiting.  While there are some recruits over-rated and under-rated, most of them are pretty close to where they should be.  Of course, as Mack Brown proved, coaching matters a great deal as well.  A great recruiting class without a good coach doesn't mean a thing.  On the flip side, a good coach can make a recruiting class better.

atekido

Quote from: colbs on February 06, 2014, 11:24:32 pm
What type of system do you think Arkansas should run to be successful? 

Its has been proven Nick saban cannot stop a well running HUNH.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: wachhog on February 06, 2014, 11:21:05 pm
When you consider that BB hopes to beat Bama and LSU at their own game going against their top 10 classes year after year, it is hard not to agree with USA TODAY.
sort of hard to argue this logic. 

At least Petrino had a different way of running an offense that other teams couldnt replicate in practice and he made you have to prepare specially for his offense. 

BB is counting on "coaching up" a bunch of 3 and 4 stars to try and do the exact same thing that Bama and LSU have 4 and 5 star prospects doing. 

We must hope that BB is simply one of the best coaches in the country.  Lets face it, Petrino was/is exactly that. He took 3 and 4 stars and his playcalling and he coached em up because he was/is so good at that.  He just was/is void of any kind of integrity and scruples.

I guess the hope is that BB turns 3 wins into 6 wins and a bowl appearance and maybe then these better recruits will see that things are turning around and will start to come to Fayetteville.  The state of AR has a loaded high school class coming up in 2015.  I guess that could make or break BB

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: HogFanDallas on February 08, 2014, 08:23:29 am

that is another part of what we all have to hope that BB is bringing to UA.  Hopefully he can build relationships with high school coaches across the state and maybe build that virtual fence around ARK that wont allow Saban to come in and get Tenpenny or Frazier like he has the past couple years.

Maybe BB and Shannon and the rest can build relationships with TX and FLA schools that we can pull just a couple of top notch players each year and these high school coaches will help steer players our way because of the stability BB can provide at ARK. 

We have never recruited as well as TENN, or at least not in a long time.  The KY situation---well I dont understand it but maybe Stoops just got lucky and got some good instate kids to come to Lexington.

Arkansas is going to be a slower build as the JLSmith tenure left the team in shambles and BB had to play so many frosh, it was pitiful. 

Here's hoping that BB and his staff are building a solid foundation and will continue to build, hopefully getting the lion's share of the good crop of high school players in the state of ARK in 2015 and beyond.