Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USA TODAY February 6, 2014 called Arkansas' 2014 signing class a LOSER

Started by Westcoasthog, February 06, 2014, 11:14:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 01:10:42 pm

It might help BB if he didn't wear a jacket when it is 120* on the field.

At least he doesn't tuck it in like Slappy the Clown
This is my non-signature signature.

chuggs33

I am new here as far as posting goes, but I've been reading for a year or more.  IMO, this board would be a whole lot better if you all would just stop arguing.  It gets threads bogged down with egos and stupidity.  If you like the current staff, that is your opinion.  If you don't, same thing.  Why bash each other over it?  Who cares if BP had higher ranked classes when he was here?  He screwed up and got himself fired.  BB is a good coach, IMO, who can recruit who he needs to win.  Again, IMO.  I supported BP when he was here, and I support BB while he is here.  I am a Hog fan, so to me this is a no brainer.

weresoclose

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 11:22:55 amAre you Jessica's former (I guess it is former) fiancée?

No, that poor feller decided to take her back and with him to South Carolina.  Lost a lot of sympathy with that move.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Westcoasthog on February 06, 2014, 11:14:12 pm
I hope for payback that Arkansas beats Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M and the
rest on their schedule in 2014, and ends up in the Championship Game, and  wins the
National Championship.    .

Keep dreaming.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

bphi11ips

Quote from: chuggs33 on February 07, 2014, 01:14:12 pm
I am new here as far as posting goes, but I've been reading for a year or more.  IMO, this board would be a whole lot better if you all would just stop arguing.  It gets threads bogged down with egos and stupidity.  If you like the current staff, that is your opinion.  If you don't, same thing.  Why bash each other over it?  Who cares if BP had higher ranked classes when he was here?  He screwed up and got himself fired.  BB is a good coach, IMO, who can recruit who he needs to win.  Again, IMO.  I supported BP when he was here, and I support BB while he is here.  I am a Hog fan, so to me this is a no brainer.

Post more.  Read less.  +1
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Großer Kriegschwein

popcornhog

Quote from: lrcentral on February 06, 2014, 11:27:07 pm
How can people predict how well an 18 year will play. My 6'4 230 kid is better than your 6'4 230 kid. Heck pros scouts cant even predict how 23 year olds will do at the next level. Its all a crap shoot.

It's not a crap shoot. The services and scouts are often correct.

They do miss a good amount of the time though, you're correct.
WPS

colbs

Quote from: superior_wang on February 07, 2014, 01:07:26 pm
rivals has 09 at 16th. im not making it up.
BP's 08 class ended up better and was ranked 20 spots below the 09 class at 36 per rivals.

superior_wang

Quote from: colbs on February 07, 2014, 01:23:36 pm
BP's 08 class ended up better and was ranked 20 spots below the 09 class at 36 per rivals.

we're splitting hairs here. the idea that bb is a better recruiter than bp is murky at  best

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: colbs on February 07, 2014, 01:13:14 pm
Well I was talking about his first class in 2008.  So Arkansas pretty much average the same recruiting rankings, no matter the coach?  Why do you use that against BB?  BP is a great coach but he is gone and isn't coming back.  Get over him.

Don't forget that CBB had to follow the dumpster fires created by CBP & JLS.
CBP followed an 8-4 season.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Atlhogfan1

Petrino and Bielema both came to Arkansas with a rep of developing players to be as good as they were projected they could be or better by the time they left the program.

Petrino was loaded with offensive "stars" early in his Arkansas tenure and won.  He had one disaster of a class that partially led to the results we have seen on the field.  That is inconsistent recruiting.  The attrition rate and misses were high in Petrino's last classes. 

We won't know how Bielema's classes will turn out for a while.  It is encouraging he and his staff can sign highly recruited out of state and even out of region players at the positions for which he has a strong reputation for developing successfully - OL and RB.  Petrino struggled to get WR's after the very unique in state class even with his offense and reputation.  QB's have been mostly local for both. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

seasonhog

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 01:13:43 pm
At least he doesn't tuck it in like Slappy the Clown

Hey...76, how the fullbacks doing.....are you getting any sleep?

I just want to see some creative play-calling and decent execution.  Baby steps...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

twistitup

Quote from: Notshavin on February 07, 2014, 01:38:08 pm
I just want to see some creative play-calling and decent execution.  Baby steps...

Hell w/ baby steps- we just had the worst season in history.....huge improvement needed
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: twistitup on February 07, 2014, 02:18:51 pm
Hell w/ baby steps- we just had the worst season in history.....huge improvement needed

I want WINS!

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 01:36:49 pm

Hey...76, how the fullbacks doing.....are you getting any sleep?

they are doing just fine. Getting bigger everyday. My son has two front teeth early so he can practice biting off opponents fingers at the bottome of a dogpile after punching in a touchdown against Alabama on 4th down with two seconds left at the end of the first half of the game we will play in 2034.

Sleep ??? zero... but holding it down.... Maker's Mark helps from time to time.

Good to see ya back bro.

seasonhog

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 02:25:25 pm
they are doing just fine. Getting bigger everyday. My son has two front teeth early so he can practice biting off opponents fingers at the bottome of a dogpile after punching in a touchdown against Alabama on 4Th down with two seconds left at the end of the first half of the game we will play in 2034.

Sleep ??? zero... but holding it down.... Maker's Mark helps from time to time.

Good to see ya back bro.

biting the opponents fingers at the bottom of the dogpile is just what we need from these razorback players.

take no prisoners....

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: colbs on February 06, 2014, 11:24:32 pm
What type of system do you think Arkansas should run to be successful? 
The I formation running behind FB is not working.

Quote from: twistitup on February 07, 2014, 02:18:51 pm

I never can find that darn sarcasm button for the end of my post when I need it...

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 02:33:03 pm
biting the opponents fingers at the bottom of the dogpile is just what we need from these razorback players.

take no prisoners....

Big violent Arkansans that can gnash teeth and spear quarterbacks and running backs like other teams in conference. But can also go home, attend church and eat a meaningful meal at the same table with their momma. Thats what I'm sayin....

whiskeyNwater2.0

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 07, 2014, 12:16:02 pm
We are going to have to field an old-fashioned, swarming, opportunistic, blue-collar Arkansas defense.  Brooks Ellis is a good long-term anchor. 

Would you describe the 2013 Arkansas Razorback defense as "Old fashioned, opportunistic, blue-collar Arkansas defense"? Just curious because we failed to sign 1 playmaker in the back 7 on defense who will help next year. So unless you think Tevin Mitchel is going to become Troy Palamalu or Alan Turner is going to suddenly not going to run the 4.8/40 he currently runs then common sense says our defense is going to struggle as the 12-14th best unit in the SEC. Now in my opinions that's not all that nonsense rhetoric you used in attempt to Polish the turd that is our defense.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: whiskeyNwater2.0 on February 07, 2014, 04:08:33 pm
Would you describe the 2013 Arkansas Razorback defense as "Old fashioned, opportunistic, blue-collar Arkansas defense"? Just curious because we failed to sign 1 playmaker in the back 7 on defense who will help next year. So unless you think Tevin Mitchel is going to become Troy Palamalu or Alan Turner is going to suddenly not going to run the 4.8/40 he currently runs then common sense says our defense is going to struggle as the 12-14th best unit in the SEC. Now in my opinions that's not all that nonsense rhetoric you used in attempt to Polish the turd that is our defense.

Defense is not a quick rebuild at Arkansas.  Expecting recruiting to provide immediate help isn't reasonable unless the state is producing those types of players.  It isn't. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

LZH

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 07, 2014, 04:14:42 pm
Defense is not a quick rebuild at Arkansas.  Expecting recruiting to provide immediate help isn't reasonable unless the state is producing those types of players.  It isn't.

I actually thought that with BB being a defensive coach, that when he got here, we would be better immediately.  I figured as long as we had some bulk up front and some guys that could run, BB & Co. could coach 'em up...ya know, put them in positions to make plays.

I sure didn't expect to see what we saw.  Hell, I predicted we'd go 7-5, maybe 8-4.  Ha.

three hog night

You sure hate to hear the national media say these kinds of things.   The recruiting services say one thing and other media outlets can say a myriad of things.  I choose the view that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

This is one of our more solid classes that even though it is solid; still puts us behind in the mythical SEC recruiting rankings.   In reality, we did real good after Harleygate and Smile.   If you choose to only be negative or positive then you get the life you deserve. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

whiskeyNwater2.0

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 07, 2014, 04:14:42 pm

Look, I'm not talking about all 5 stars. I'm talking about the fact that we failed to sign 1 guy in the back 7 who had multiple SEC offers. I think only 1 had multiple BCS offers and it was Houston. Sadly a good 5.7 3 star safety could help our defense now. We are that talent poor.

If Hog fans expectations and goals for the football program were based on the many disadvantages that we face then we should never expect to beat anyone other than Vanderbilt. Literally every school in the SEC other than Vandy has recruiting advantages over Arkansas.

We knew what we were getting into when we joined the SEC. Brett Bielema our AD and every coach before him has said the expectation is to win our conference championship and ultimately a National Title. If we truly mean that then we have to quit making excuses every year to explain why we can't compete and why we shouldn't expect more. If what you say is really the truth then we need to join the Big 12 or another conference where we can have a chance.  This is the SEC. To win the SEC you have to win recruiting battles that we have never won in the past. That is the whole point of bringing in Better coaches paying them more money and investing into facilities so we can get to the next level and accomplish more than we have ever before.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: whiskeyNwater2.0 on February 07, 2014, 04:32:07 pm
Look, I'm not talking about all 5 stars. I'm talking about the fact that we failed to sign 1 guy in the back 7 who had multiple SEC offers. I think only 1 had multiple BCS offers and it was Houston. Sadly a good 5.7 3 star safety could help our defense now. We are that talent poor.

If Hog fans expectations and goals for the football program were based on the many disadvantages that we face then we should never expect to beat anyone other than Vanderbilt. Literally every school in the SEC other than Vandy has recruiting advantages over Arkansas.

We knew what we were getting into when we joined the SEC. Brett Bielema our AD and every coach before him has said the expectation is to win our conference championship and ultimately a National Title. If we truly mean that then we have to quit making excuses every year to explain why we can't compete and why we shouldn't expect more. If what you say is really the truth then we need to join the Big 12 or another conference where we can have a chance.  This is the SEC. To win the SEC you have to win recruiting battles that we have never won in the past. That is the whole point of bringing in Better coaches paying them more money and investing into facilities so we can get to the next level and accomplish more than we have ever before.

It is reality.  Nice motivational speech but it doesn't change our situation.  We are a long shot to ever win a NC.  It could happen just as an SEC Ch may happen.  But it isn't going to happen immediately as we don't sign immediate help at many positions.  The defense is going to have to be developed over multiple seasons to the point it isn't a liability. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 07, 2014, 04:39:29 pm
It is reality.  Nice motivational speech but it doesn't change our situation.  We are a long shot to ever win a NC.  It could happen just as an SEC Ch may happen.  But it isn't going to happen immediately as we don't sign immediate help at many positions.  The defense is going to have to be developed over multiple seasons to the point it isn't a liability.

Agreed. But we did sign some taller and bigger corners this year. The one that we got under 6' is the fastest athlete in the class. Just need some development. We'll be better next year, and hopefully a lot better the following year

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 07, 2014, 04:44:08 pm
Agreed. But we did sign some taller and bigger corners this year. The one that we got under 6' is the fastest athlete in the class. Just need some development. We'll be better next year, and hopefully a lot better the following year

I like the S/OLB we signed.  Going against spread teams like A&M, OM, AU and now Mizzou every season, we need speed and athleticism there.  Got to hope they have or will develop the ability to tackle in space.  In 2-3 seasons, hopefully they'll contribute positively to a fast back 7.  Our defense needs to start getting more turnovers too. Mizzou's D did a good job of that this past season. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 07, 2014, 04:54:48 pm
I like the S/OLB we signed.  Going against spread teams like A&M, OM, AU and now Mizzou every season, we need speed and athleticism there.  Got to hope they have or will develop the ability to tackle in space.  In 2-3 seasons, hopefully they'll contribute positively to a fast back 7.  Our defense needs to start getting more turnovers too. Mizzou's D did a good job of that this past season.

Absolutely. We only brought in 1 shut down corner, the rest MuST play fundamental defense. I look for improvement over last year quick, but improvement throughout the season as well. But I said that last year so we'll see

hoglady

Quote from: Sooie71923 on February 07, 2014, 12:44:22 am
I don't believe coaches or the school should be ridiculed because of recruiting disadvantages. It's not fair.

We will never have those top classes. We rely on system players and development.  That's how we win. And we will win!!!!

WPS!

There's absolutely no way we have recruiting disadvantage compared to Kentucky. None.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on February 07, 2014, 05:07:43 pm
There's absolutely no way we have recruiting disadvantage compared to Kentucky. None.

Lexington is 85 miles from Cincinnati and 135 from Dayton on I75.  Their head coach comes from a Youngstown coaching family.  Tuberville, Akron, Bowling Green, IU, Illinois, Pitt, WV etc. have some real competition right now in Ohio. 

hoglady

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 07, 2014, 05:12:06 pm
Lexington is 85 miles from Cincinnati and 135 from Dayton on I75.  Their head coach comes from a Youngstown coaching family.  Tuberville, Akron, Bowling Green, IU, Illinois, Pitt, WV etc. have some real competition right now in Ohio. 

If we can't outrecruit Kentucky on a consistent basis we need to get out of the SEC and go join Conference USA or something.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on February 07, 2014, 05:19:30 pm
If we can't outrecruit Kentucky on a consistent basis we need to get out of the SEC and go join Conference USA or something.

As far as recruiting especially rankings, we cannot compete with most of the SEC.  If this were the only factor, we should leave.  If the demand is to consistently compete for conference championships, we should leave.  We aren't going to though.  This was one class but Kentucky does have a better location and some things working for them right now just as we do with Shannon and S Florida. 

hoglady

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 07, 2014, 05:22:55 pm
As far as recruiting especially rankings, we cannot compete with most of the SEC.  If this were the only factor, we should leave.  If the demand is to consistently compete for conference championships, we should leave.  We aren't going to though.  This was one class but Kentucky does have a better location and some things working for them right now just as we do with Shannon and S Florida. 

Arkansas and it's fans should NEVER be satisfied with finishing behind Kentucky in football recruiting. Are we so complacent now and beat down as a fanbase that many think that's OK?

twistitup

Quote from: hoglady on February 07, 2014, 05:34:21 pm
Arkansas and it's fans should NEVER be satisfied with finishing behind Kentucky in football recruiting. Are we so complacent now and beat down as a fanbase that many think that's OK?

Very true. Our fanbase, for the most part, has let go of the rope and are now satisfied with mediocrity. We finished behind Kentucky in recruiting and folks are fine with that....KENTUCKY!!!!

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Bucksnort

Honestly, I have no confidence in this coaching staff. I hope I get to eat my words.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on February 07, 2014, 05:34:21 pm

Nothing complacent or beaten down about understanding how the two classes ended up as they did.  I'm good with the recruiting rankings as I can accept what it is to recruit to Arkansas.  You are getting upset because UK got 10 players from Ohio that Oh St, Mich, Mich St, Penn St etc did not want, got 2 4 stars from in state and 1 each from Ga and Florida.  Their class isn't much different than ours.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: twistitup on February 07, 2014, 05:44:23 pm
Very true, our fanbase, for the most part, has let go of the rope and are now satisfied with mediocrity. We finished behind Kentucky in recruiting and folks are fine with that....KENTUCKY!!!!

It's ONE season.  One.  If it becomes the norm over the next few, then it's a cause for concern.  Using ONE as a sample size for just about anything is typically a very bad decision. 

But...it won't keep the program detractors from using it to fit their agenda.   ::)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

LZH

Quote from: Bucksnort on February 07, 2014, 05:52:35 pm
Honestly, I have no confidence in this coaching staff. I hope I get to eat my words.

Me too.  Some guys get on here and say "you just want BB to fail so you can say you were right all along".  That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard.  I care about what happens to this program...OUR program...always have, always will.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: wachhog on February 06, 2014, 11:21:05 pm
When you consider that BB hopes to beat Bama and LSU at their own game going against their top 10 classes year after year, it is hard not to agree with USA TODAY.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. Instead of playing GOOD football like those teams play, maybe we should try BAD football.

twistitup

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 07, 2014, 05:57:10 pm
Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. Instead of playing GOOD football like those teams play, maybe we should try BAD football.

Good football with subpar talent gets you nowhere

OTTER

People actually read that comic book of a newspaper!?  For gosh sakes, it's a child's rag of a publication.  Remember how they "changed" the Arkansas Gazette when they bought it?  Right before they killed it!  Yeah, they are really worthy of being read.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 07, 2014, 05:57:10 pm

EXACTLY.  It's like when the season starts and you have Baylor and West Virginia putting up video game numbers, and looking invincible.  Then they finally play a team with a decent defense, or the QB has an off game, and they lose.  Ooops. 

We have a segment of the fan base that deals only in extremes.  You either fling it around like BP did, or your run it in the most predictable fashion possible like HDN.  It's like there's no middle ground to play in, which is exactly what BB's background indicates that he wants to implement. 

What's scary is that right now, with the coaches that are in place and where the fertile recruiting beds are, we could be top 15 nationally and still be in the second half in the SEC, and likely at best...fourth in just the SEC WEST!!  Like it or not, we have to have some diamonds in the rough, have a great developmental program, and execute VERY WELL just to have a hope of competing with those teams regularly. 

And yet...we have fans whining about getting beat out by KY in one year, when they are looking at STARS and not necessarily comparing how well the coaches did at addressing NEEDS.  As we've seen...you can land several 4* WR's even when you may not need them, and it can affect your "star" ranking.  But...did it really help the team?  No. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

twistitup

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 07, 2014, 06:10:27 pm
EXACTLY.  It's like when the season starts and you have Baylor and West Virginia putting up video game numbers, and looking invincible.  Then they finally play a team with a decent defense, or the QB has an off game, and they lose.  Ooops. 

We have a segment of the fan base that deals only in extremes.  You either fling it around like BP did, or your run it in the most predictable fashion possible like HDN.  It's like there's no middle ground to play in, which is exactly what BB's background indicates that he wants to implement. 

What's scary is that right now, with the coaches that are in place and where the fertile recruiting beds are, we could be top 15 nationally and still be in the second half in the SEC, and likely at best...fourth in just the SEC WEST!!  Like it or not, we have to have some diamonds in the rough, have a great developmental program, and execute VERY WELL just to have a hope of competing with those teams regularly. 

And yet...we have fans whining about getting beat out by KY in one year, when they are looking at STARS and not necessarily comparing how well the coaches did at addressing NEEDS.  As we've seen...you can land several 4* WR's even when you may not need them, and it can affect your "star" ranking.  But...did it really help the team?  No. 

Are you drunk?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: twistitup on February 07, 2014, 05:59:58 pm
Good football with subpar talent gets you nowhere

twist...It's still not a guarantee of anything.  Did you not see the stats posted earlier today that showed that you absolutely CAN have top 10 recruiting classes, and still fail in epic fashion?  See Texas.  There are more. 

I'd rather take our chances with addressing needs and maybe ranking a little lower, versus trying to hit every 5* we can land regardless of position.  We missed some at LB and the secondary, which is our biggest area of concern.  If anything, THAT concerns me more than anything else that our fan base is worried about. 

You better WANT BB to get some top defenders next year, and to see our team turn a corner.  If you don't, then you and your band of program detractors will be REALLY let down with the next coach that we hire.   

urkillnmesmalls

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Quote from: Westcoasthog on February 06, 2014, 11:14:12 pm
      I hope for payback that Arkansas beats Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M and the rest on their schedule in 2014, and ends up in the Championship Game, and wins the National Championship.

Funniest thing I've read in a long time!

Batesville Hogfan

Quote from: acey33 on February 07, 2014, 07:30:38 am
LOSER...I guess that is what they call you when you don't win a conf. game. I hope we can beat Ala. & LSU and whoever at their own game (power running) but i just don't see it happening for a couple of years if then...
Fact is when Bama and LSU are on we aren't going to beat them regardless of the system we run. The good news is Les (with more) Miles will lose some games to us even with superior talent and Nick Saban will retire one day.