Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1998 Kentucky Game Highlights

Started by Jborohog09, February 06, 2014, 07:27:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jborohog09

Highlights of the win over the Cats back in 1998, enjoy!

mhsbc59

i was at this game is was very exciting
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

code red

I can't wait to see another Arkansas Defense that strikes like that one did.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Dirty

Simple Swineman

From beginning to end one of the top 3 loudest games I've ever attended.

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

HognotinMemphis

Thanks for posting this. I was at this game too but given that it was 16 years ago, sort of forgotten how the game went. Some observations:

1. Todd Christensen, resting in peace now, on the color commentary. Always loved him. Died last year or year before I think.

2. David Barrett, best CB Arkansas has had in last quarter century or more. Time for another like him to come our way. Seems we get one like him about 4 times per century. He had a very nice career in the NFL as well, didn't he?

3. Same for Kenoy Kennedy. About time we had another FS like that guy. Man, he could time his hits. We were FS University there for a while. Time to get that going again. I remember that shot Kennedy delivered in last minute of this game. Can't believe the receiver held on to the ball. That tackle would be illegal today as he led with his helmet into the receiver's helmet.

4. Notice the pure horse collar tackle on Stoerner after he caught the throw back pass in first half? Are horse collar tackles illegal in college ball as it is in NFL?

5. Yes, very loud game. I don't know why everyone was so excited but they were. KY was unranked and Hogs were #24 but it was very electric in WMS that evening.

6. Also, time for us to have another tough receiver like Lucas. He had some awfully sticky fingers. If the pass touched his hands, he caught it. Seemed he was an excellent route runner too.

7. Tim Couch was KY's QB. How did this guy not have a hall of fame NFL career? What happened? He didn't even last very long.

8. Nice win over KY back in Nutt's first year but then the Hogs went to KY the next year and KY beat us good. They went on to beat us more than we beat them in Nutt's tenure if memory serves. I recall a game a few years later, maybe '02 or '03, in RRS when KY ran a punt and KO back for TD's and beat us.

9. That was Hal Mumme coaching KY then. A very good offensive-minded coach and excellent play caller. He is now the OC at my son's school, SMU. He did a very good job with their offense this year. The problem was SMU's defense. Finished 5-7 and of the 7 losses, should have won 3 of them. I wonder if he would be considered for the HC position there if they asked Jones to leave?

Comments, additions, and answers welcome.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

MikePiazza

Mike Leach was the Kentucky OC that year and he said just based on that game that WMS was the loudest stadium he'd ever coached in.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

mhsbc59

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 10, 2014, 11:02:57 am
Thanks for posting this. I was at this game too but given that it was 16 years ago, sort of forgotten how the game went. Some observations:

1. Todd Christensen, resting in peace now, on the color commentary. Always loved him. Died last year or year before I think.

2. David Barrett, best CB Arkansas has had in last quarter century or more. Time for another like him to come our way. Seems we get one like him about 4 times per century. He had a very nice career in the NFL as well, didn't he?

3. Same for Kenoy Kennedy. About time we had another FS like that guy. Man, he could time his hits. We were FS University there for a while. Time to get that going again. I remember that shot Kennedy delivered in last minute of this game. Can't believe the receiver held on to the ball. That tackle would be illegal today as he led with his helmet into the receiver's helmet.

4. Notice the pure horse collar tackle on Stoerner after he caught the throw back pass in first half? Are horse collar tackles illegal in college ball as it is in NFL?

5. Yes, very loud game. I don't know why everyone was so excited but they were. KY was unranked and Hogs were #24 but it was very electric in WMS that evening.

6. Also, time for us to have another tough receiver like Lucas. He had some awfully sticky fingers. If the pass touched his hands, he caught it. Seemed he was an excellent route runner too.

7. Tim Couch was KY's QB. How did this guy not have a hall of fame NFL career? What happened? He didn't even last very long.

8. Nice win over KY back in Nutt's first year but then the Hogs went to KY the next year and KY beat us good. They went on to beat us more than we beat them in Nutt's tenure if memory serves. I recall a game a few years later, maybe '02 or '03, in RRS when KY ran a punt and KO back for TD's and beat us.

9. That was Hal Mumme coaching KY then. A very good offensive-minded coach and excellent play caller. He is now the OC at my son's school, SMU. He did a very good job with their offense this year. The problem was SMU's defense. Finished 5-7 and of the 7 losses, should have won 3 of them. I wonder if he would be considered for the HC position there if they asked Jones to leave?

Comments, additions, and answers welcome.

Update on Hal Mummy he is now the Head Coach where i played College Ball Belhaven University in Jackson, MS.

He had been fired from kentucky my senior year and was at almost all of my games my seinor year of college. His tight ends coach was our head coach then fyi

mhsbc59

The reason for the crowd being as loud as they where we had just come of beating the breaks of Alabama 42-6 where undeffeated as was kentucky at the time. Plus kentucky had Tim Couch.  We started teh game off with by intercepting Tim. And it was just a game of big play after big play.  Plus it was the first time in a long time Arkansas fans had something to cheer about great game. Also alot of NFL talent on teh field for both teams. not long carreers just talent lol

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: mhsbc59 on February 10, 2014, 11:21:45 am
Update on Hal Mummy he is now the Head Coach where i played College Ball Belhaven University in Jackson, MS.

He had been fired from kentucky my senior year and was at almost all of my games my seinor year of college. His tight ends coach was our head coach then fyi
So Mumme was hired at Belhaven after this past season just ended?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jjdlc

I was at that game too, great atmosphere that year.

He got drafted by the Browns in their first year back in the league as an expansion team.  He was playing behind a line that was complete swiss cheese.  By the time his first contract was up, he had a serious case of happy feet, I think he decided to get out while he could.  Interestingly, I believe he is still the Brown's longest running starting QB since their reintroduction.

Positive Pete

Quote from: Dirty on February 06, 2014, 09:17:29 pm
Kenoy laid that dude out!

If that happened present day he would have been flagged for targeting. 

Mo_Better_Hogs

I remember that game, it was a doozie. As good an offense as Nutt inherited from Ford, that defense might have been even better. (Something we haven't really seen since then.)

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on February 10, 2014, 02:36:38 pm
I remember that game, it was a doozie. As good an offense as Nutt inherited from Ford, that defense might have been even better. (Something we haven't really seen since then.)
Nutt inherited all that Alabama/Louisiana/Georgia talent that Danny Ford was able to recruit....Nutt definitely found the cupboard full when he got here

ad: Kenoy was a striking SumBiotch but Atwater was a freak of nature.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Simple Swineman

4. Blatent horse collar. Is illegal in college now, but not back then. I'm not even sure it was illegal in the NFL in 1998.

5. We had been watching horrible football for the past 8 years and were not the slightest bit competetive in the SEC. Fans were hungry for something exciting and here came Houston Nutt riding in on a white horse. Regardless of what happened later in his career he had this state in a frenzy his first year. People were eating up all his preseason talk about "national championship under construction," his exciting Razorback club meetings around the state, and all his locker room speeches they would show during his weekly TV show.

People wanted to be excited, but I don't think they really believed it could happen. Then we we went out and destroyed Alabama - the giant of the SEC. Then people started believing we could do something special. We had a very favorable schedule after that and if we could just beat Kentucky then we had a real shot at making it to the Tennessee game undefeated against the #1 team in the nation.

All of that just built up at the Kentucky game. They just happened to be next. Throw in the fact that a Heisman candidate was in town and it resulted in an amazing atmosphere.

mhsbc59

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 10, 2014, 12:33:02 pm
So Mumme was hired at Belhaven after this past season just ended?

Yes he was just hired at the end of January

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: mhsbc59 on February 11, 2014, 09:22:21 am
Yes he was just hired at the end of January
Thanks. Have not heard this. Well, SMU's loss and Belhaven's gain.

mhsbc59

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 11, 2014, 11:58:53 am
Thanks. Have not heard this. Well, SMU's loss and Belhaven's gain.

True but i played there with the previous head coach and had a personal connection to every Belhaven coach since the program was started in 1998. I played there from 99-03. And Mummy will be the first head coach that i wont have played for or played with. As A football alum I'm sad about that and that i will be losing close access to the team. But as a school Alumni I'm happy we have gotten a good coach.  For those that don't know Belhaven plays in the NAIA which for a comparison is directly on par with NCAA division II. having play both the NAIA and NCAA division II National champions in the same year 1999, Gerogetown College NAIA, Delta State NCAA division II, both have the same amount of talent and in that year i would say Geogetown was better.

PS we would be the beat the breaks off West Alabama every time we played them and they are NCAA division II, I had to get that in there!