Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

247 Sports' Shurburtt says

Started by Next1_04, February 06, 2014, 04:12:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Next1_04

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo  26m
Shurburtt: If I'm an Arkansas fan, I'm not going to worry about rankings. Player development is very important.

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo  27m
Shurburtt: I would take Arkansas' class ahead of Florida's class, as crazy as that sounds.

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo  31m
Shurburtt: For anybody to take shots at recruiting rankings and the people who put them together ... it's just garbage.

hollywood hog

Quote from: Next1_04 on February 06, 2014, 04:12:02 pm

Shurburtt: I would take Arkansas' class ahead of Florida's class, as crazy as that sounds.

And I would take Oprah over Tyra Banks. 

ricepig

Next1_04

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 06, 2014, 04:15:24 pm

More like Petrino over Jessica.

Spikes

Shurburtt: I would take Arkansas' class ahead of Florida's class, as crazy as that sounds

It's official ... Shurburtt has gone crazy!!   

Going to go ahead and say, but I wish we had Florida Class
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

Spikes

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2014, 04:16:59 pm
More cushion for the pushin??

And there is a ton of that cushion to be pushin!!
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2014, 04:16:59 pm
More cushion for the pushin??

More money...............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

swinesation

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 06, 2014, 04:15:24 pm

At talk show hosting? Every time!

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: Spikes on February 06, 2014, 04:18:00 pm
Shurburtt: I would take Arkansas' class ahead of Florida's class, as crazy as that sounds

He said we did a better job of filling needs.  Once again, Florida brings a ton of defensive studs, but there's little help coming in for their woeful offense.

redeye

He'll probably tell Florida fans that he'd take their class over Alabama's.

Not really surprising.

Oliver

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on February 06, 2014, 04:30:47 pm
He said we did a better job of filling needs.  Once again, Florida brings a ton of defensive studs, but there's little help coming in for their woeful offense.

I also think he's saying he'd take our class with Bielema's development over Florida's class with Muschamp's development.  I agree.  The only reason Muschamp still has a job there is because of the classes he pulls in

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Oliver on February 06, 2014, 05:14:23 pm
I also think he's saying he'd take our class with Bielema's development over Florida's class with Muschamp's development.  I agree.  The only reason Muschamp still has a job there is because of the classes he pulls in

Sad part is that they could hire a good coach and still pull those classes in. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Oliver

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 06, 2014, 05:25:12 pm
Sad part is that they could hire a good coach and still pull those classes in. 

Yep.

MuskogeeHogFan

They went pretty heavy on the O-Line in this class with 6, 2 four star QB's, a four star RB, two TE's and three WR's. 14 on offense out of a total of 24 signees.
Go Hogs Go!

Danny J

I heard the interview on Bo's show and Shurburtt SLAMS CBB's comments and says "now I think less of him as a human being" and other such comments. He was pissed.

hoglady

Quote from: Spikes on February 06, 2014, 04:18:00 pm
Shurburtt: I would take Arkansas’ class ahead of Florida’s class, as crazy as that sounds

His point was Florida met none of their offensive needs. They didn't sign good skill players. They loaded up on defense AGAIN. Which isn't really what they needed. They need to fix their offense and they didn't do that with this class.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TrojanHog

What did BB say to tick him off? And this won't help with recruiting rankings for us if he ticked off the rankings guru

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on February 06, 2014, 05:39:48 pm
I heard the interview on Bo's show and Shurburtt SLAMS CBB's comments and says "now I think less of him as a human being" and other such comments. He was pissed.

hoglady

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on February 06, 2014, 05:39:48 pm

I missed that part of the interview.
I assume that was after hearing Beliema's comments regarding recruiting rankings and such.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 06, 2014, 05:35:30 pm
They went pretty heavy on the O-Line in this class with 6, 2 four star QB's, a four star RB, two TE's and three WR's. 14 on offense out of a total of 24 signees.

Just saying what the man being discussed said.  That's all.  He said they didn't meet their needs, and that he'd take our offensive skill players over theirs.  Agree or not.  I haven't invested a minute studying Florida's recruiting class.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hoglady on February 06, 2014, 05:41:45 pm
His point was Florida met none of their offensive needs. They didn't sign good skill players. They loaded up on defense AGAIN. Which isn't really what they needed. They need to fix their offense and they didn't do that with this class.

Didn't meet any of their offensive needs?

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2014/florida-67

Looks like half of the class is offense.

HiggiePiggy

His comments were lip service.  He probably says something similar to everyone's team. 

titsonboar

The_Iceman

In regard to the Florida comment, he was refering to the Offensive talent we added. He defknitely said their class was ldefensively.

He said Florida would trade their offensive talent for ours striaght up anyday.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on February 06, 2014, 05:53:07 pm
Just saying what the man being discussed said.  That's all.  He said they didn't meet their needs, and that he'd take our offensive skill players over theirs.  Agree or not.  I haven't invested a minute studying Florida's recruiting class.

Didn't mean to indicate that he was wrong, I just don't know. I wasn't meaning to counter you, just stating what they signed. Any way you cut it, that is two more than you usually sign on the O-Line each year, so they obviously feel they need the projected help.
Go Hogs Go!

Tusks

I keep saying "there's alabama" and then everyone else.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 06, 2014, 06:06:59 pm
Didn't mean to indicate that he was wrong, I just don't know. I wasn't meaning to counter you, just stating what they signed. Any way you cut it, that is two more than you usually sign on the O-Line each year, so they obviously feel they need the projected help.

You're probably right. 

For the life of me, though, I don't know why any highly regarded offensive player would want to go play for Muschamp. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tusked on February 06, 2014, 06:26:50 pm
I keep saying "there's alabama" and then everyone else.

Well yeah, and take a look at the size of their recruiting/evaluation staff. They have people constantly monitoring and evaluating future recruits based on week to week performance and adjusting their focus based on projected needs for the future. In this way, the main staff can focus on coaching, while offering input as to what they will need and want for the future.

Of course it doesn't hurt to have won as much as they have that draws recruits to them (not to mention the number they put in the NFL every year and some early to the NFL), but it is the cumulative synergy of all things coming together that helps them continue to be more successful than most everyone else, going forward.
Go Hogs Go!

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: CorkscrewU on February 06, 2014, 06:00:05 pm
Ol boy was upset.

It was pretty amusing.  Dude kept saying that Bielema personally insulted him-- or, rather, his entire industry. 

This isn't the first time our coach has taken a shot at the recruiting services.  Furthermore, I've personally heard Coach B take some shots at HIMSELF.  He's just a relaxed, straight shooting guy. 

It's amusing to me how defensive that guy got over coach's comments.

hoglady

Was he ever pissed. I'm listening to the full interview now.
Said Beliema made it personal with his words and then he was off and running.
Was mad enough that he said - well you know folks could be taking shots at Beliema for managing to not win an SEC game last year.

He settled down a little as the interview went on but I don't think the guy will forgive or forget.

cosmodrum

Oh noes a recruiting dork gots offended by Bielema.
Go away, batin'

Jek Tono Porkins

Bielema really didn't say anything that was particularly controversial. He actually made a whole lot of sense in his press conference when he talked about under-developed and under-recruited kids. Bielema himself was a walk-on at Iowa.
In the "From the Hog Farm to Head Hog" series, Hayden Fry said that Bielema walked on at Iowa and wanted to play defensive line. He was 185 pounds. But by his senior year he was a team captain. So it's no wonder that Bielema doesn't put a whole lot of stock in recruiting rankings...the recruiters wouldn't have had him rated coming out of high school.

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

hoglady

Quote from: ReddieHawg on February 06, 2014, 07:04:00 pm
Bielema really didn't say anything that was particularly controversial. He actually made a whole lot of sense in his press conference when he talked about under-developed and under-recruited kids. Bielema himself was a walk-on at Iowa.
In the "From the Hog Farm to Head Hog" series, Hayden Fry said that Bielema walked on at Iowa and wanted to play defensive line. He was 185 pounds. But by his senior year he was a team captain. So it's no wonder that Bielema doesn't put a whole lot of stock in recruiting rankings...the recruiters wouldn't have had him rated coming out of high school.

What offended the guy was the remark about the services existing because "those are just a bunch of guys that just need a job and something to justify what they're doing"

BadHog

Quote from: hoglady on February 06, 2014, 07:24:33 pm
What offended the guy was the remark about the services existing because "those are just a bunch of guys that just need a job and something to justify what they're doing"

The services exist because a bunch of goobers wanna pay $100 a year to follow this stuff 24/7 and the guys who put the info out are one step above carnival barker. This guy spouts a bunch of b.s. all year long and yahoos eat it up.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Hawgzinbowlz

After his responses about CBBs position on recruiting analysts I thought his last name should be Butthurt.

Bo may need to personal phone call him to come on again.

After wiping his nose he did say The Hogs recruiting class was successful.

" GO HOGS "

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on February 06, 2014, 06:40:12 pm
It was pretty amusing.  Dude kept saying that Bielema personally insulted him-- or, rather, his entire industry. 

This isn't the first time our coach has taken a shot at the recruiting services.  Furthermore, I've personally heard Coach B take some shots at HIMSELF.  He's just a relaxed, straight shooting guy. 

It's amusing to me how defensive that guy got over coach's comments.

Agreed. Bielema's job is not to bow to the recruiting rankings dude.

Cure

Arkansas met their needs everywhere except LB and that's only because they didn't get an instant impact player there (if they can't come in and get it done).
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

hoglady

OK - go ahead and bash the guy and his business.
But you know it's kind of ironic - you are on a sports message board, with knowledge, information and videos on recruits that you wouldn't have if it wasn't for guys like him.
If Rivals, 247 and Scout didn't exist - you wouldn't be debating what recruit is good or not because you wouldn't know one dang thing about any of them.

Joe Hog

N HOG

Quote from: BadHog on February 06, 2014, 09:53:29 pm
The services exist because a bunch of goobers wanna pay $100 a year to follow this stuff 24/7 and the guys who put the info out are one step above carnival barker. This guy spouts a bunch of b.s. all year long and yahoos eat it up.

+1

That's a funny post.

prairiehogcompanion

If you have to quibble or a recruiting ranking you probably don't have much to say.

hambone

I've heard this "filling needs" stuff about our class.

We did not fill our needs on the defensive side of the ball at all. We literally brought in the exact same type of players in the back 7 of our defense that we have for 5 years now.

Projects at lb and safety, and ONE rated cb and the rest a little undersized and average rated.

How did that fill our needs on D?

PennHOG

Quote from: MorrellHog on February 06, 2014, 10:13:18 pm
After his responses about CBBs position on recruiting analysts I thought his last name should be Butthurt.

Bo may need to personal phone call him to come on again.

After wiping his nose he did say The Hogs recruiting class was successful.

" GO HOGS "

+1  I LOL'd
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Hoggish1

Quote from: TrojanHog on February 06, 2014, 05:43:51 pm
What did BB say to tick him off? And this won't help with recruiting rankings for us if he ticked off the rankings guru

So, we should be looking to not tick off "recruiting gurus."  That's classic.  What do we get if they like us?

Hoggish1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 06, 2014, 05:55:15 pm

Didn't meet any of their offensive needs?

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2014/florida-67

Looks like half of the class is offense.

Yeah only 9 of their 25 are on D.  But, Harris may move to DB once he sees he can't beat out Greer.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: hambone on February 07, 2014, 11:23:28 am
I've heard this "filling needs" stuff about our class.

We did not fill our needs on the defensive side of the ball at all. We literally brought in the exact same type of players in the back 7 of our defense that we have for 5 years now.

Projects at lb and safety, and ONE rated cb and the rest a little undersized and average rated.

How did that fill our needs on D?
??? Undersized they are all long corners which is something we haven't had in a while. They will get stronger once they get on campus just like all student athletes.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hoglady on February 06, 2014, 11:01:09 pm
But you know it's kind of ironic - you are on a sports message board, with knowledge, information and videos on recruits that you wouldn't have if it wasn't for guys like him.
If Rivals, 247 and Scout didn't exist - you wouldn't be debating what recruit is good or not because you wouldn't know one dang thing about any of them.

So, it is possible to get the same info. for free, that recruiting subscribers shell out good money for? ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

bigbadhog

Quote from: redeye on February 06, 2014, 04:44:40 pm
He'll probably tell Florida fans that he'd take their class over Alabama's.

Not really surprising.

+1 on that!
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

qbrew

Quote from: hoglady on February 06, 2014, 11:01:09 pm

I'm not sure who you think is bashing them. They have value for the same reason that TMZ and other Entertainment news sites have value. There is a market for it.

That doesn't mean that Coaches should give a rats ass about their opinion. They don't perform a service to the coaches, they are there for the fans. If any coach says they disagree with CBB, they are likely lying.

bigbadhog

Quote from: hoglady on February 06, 2014, 07:24:33 pm

That was a pretty nasty comment.  BB can't seem to keep his mouth shut when it is the prudent thing to do.  That is something I continue to NOT like about him.  That is a fight he didn't need to pick.  It will all come out on the field the next few years and a battle of words is useless...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

qbrew

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 07, 2014, 01:56:43 pm
That was a pretty nasty comment.  BB can't seem to keep his mouth shut when it is the prudent thing to do.  That is something I continue to NOT like about him.  That is a fight he didn't need to pick.  It will all come out on the field the next few years and a battle of words is useless...

It may be worded a bit harshly, but it's 100% true. There is a market, and they are filling it.