Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finalized 2014 Football Schedule

Started by WizardofhOgZ, February 06, 2014, 11:53:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

SIAP - if it was, I missed it.  We have known who we were playing for a while now, but I see the schedule has been finalized and Georgia is the lone LR game, as expected.  Also, we have 4 true "road games", with Arlington being in front of a split crowd.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=6100&SPID=2419&SPSID=30723

2014 Schedule
Aug 30 - Auburn at Jordan Hare
Sep 6  - Nicholls St  at Home
Sep 13 - TX Tech in Lubbock
Sep 20 - Northern Illinois at home
Sep 27 - TX A&M in Jerry World
Oct 11 - BAMA at home
Oct 18 - Georgia in LR
Oct 25 - UAB at home
Nov 1 - MS ST in Starkville
Nov 15 - LSU at home
Nov 22 - Ole Miss at home
Nov 29 - Missouri in Columbia

Wildhog

Starkville, Columbia, Lubbock, Auburn

Four road games.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Oklahawg

Always a gauntlet somewhere: A&M, Bama, Georgia...right in a row.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on February 06, 2014, 11:54:57 am

Four road games.

I count 6, but then again I am weird in that I count any game not at home as an away game.

Regardless, 2 of the 1st 3 are on the road and 3 of the 1st 5 are if you count playing in Arlington. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WizardofhOgZ

Four road games.

You are correct - I looked only at SEC games, since our NC games are usually at home.  Thanks for the correction.

Tusks

I hate GA being in LR.  I live in ATL and wanted to take the kids on their first road trip to the hill and see the hogs and dogs play.

Put OM in the rock.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tusks

A/M ? what is the deal with them.  Is it forever in Jerry world like GA/FL and OU/TX or does it rotate at all or what's the deal there.  Been under a rock when it comes to that deal.

GalaHawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 06, 2014, 11:55:56 am
Always a gauntlet somewhere: A&M, Bama, Georgia...right in a row.

At least a bye week between A&M and Bama

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tusked on February 06, 2014, 11:57:30 am
I hate GA being in LR.  I live in ATL and wanted to take the kids on their first road trip to the hill and see the hogs and dogs play.

Put OM in the rock.

It will be embarrassing to host UGa there. 

The schedule provides some breaks.  Off week between A&M and Bama.  UAB before going to Miss St.  Off week before LSU. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ifghog

I agree about Miss Schools. Alternate MS ST. and Ole Miss each year in LR. I am from Hot Springs so I don't want to hear it. That schedule makes the most sense. Decent SEC game in LR every year. Not embarrassed of LR at all. Just makes sense to me....

litmachog

Four road games.

You are really talking about "exciting" road trips.  What great places to go.

Speedracer

Georgia Bulldogs welcome to War Memorial Waste Management stadium.  "Razorback fans call now an order your very own copy of the 1964 championship season when Arkansas had a perfect season". 

"And now if fans will turn their attention to midfield where fans will see the Homecoming King and Queen from that perfect season. Randy went on to fight in the Vietnam war and became manager at Tyson foods.  Elizabeth spends her days wondering why her kids don't visit her enough and loves knitting...now let's stand up and CALL......THOSE.....HAWGS!"
Like smites bother me.

Atlhogfan1

Long is giving LR a gift.  UGa is a much more attractive opponent to try and sell season tickets to the larger stadium especially coming off two bad seasons but he used this in the latest WMS negotiation. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: litmachog on February 06, 2014, 12:23:21 pm

Haven't thought about that.  You couldn't come up with a worse 4.  Lubbock and Starkville in the same season.  Just think if we were in the Big 12 and how awful some of those trips are:  Ames, Lubbock, Waco...

Hogg_Phan

We will be traveling every other game until November 22nd. Seems like its going to be a tough schedule.
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

Tusks

At least you can get good PORK BBQ in Starkville.  Went into a BBQ joint in Lubbock one time and said don't you have pork ? We have HAM ! she said.   oyvey....brisket is NOT BBQ no matter how much sauce you put on it.

Southpointhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 06, 2014, 12:05:44 pm
No it wont!

The schedule provides some breaks.  Off week between A&M and Bama.  UAB before going to Miss St.  Off week before LSU. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: ifghog on February 06, 2014, 12:19:32 pm
I agree about Miss Schools. Alternate MS ST. and Ole Miss each year in LR. I am from Hot Springs so I don't want to hear it. That schedule makes the most sense. Decent SEC game in LR every year. Not embarrassed of LR at all. Just makes sense to me....

Lot's of history there as well, especially with Ole Miss.  It makes sense. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Tusks

I really hope that BB can get the hogs back into the SECC mix and at the same time MU really starts to be a backyard type rival.  It's kind of who is less hillbilly.  Maybe there should be a hillbilly or plumbing trophy for the winner.  The winner gets a trophy to show which state has the most indoor plumbing or electricity.  A hatfield/mccoy type tussle.

Texas was always big oil against the little guy and they cared about the hogs but we weren't their backyard dirty rival.

Would love to have that with MU.

Professor Psychosis

I like this schedule better than some of the more recent ones.

It's very possible we start 2-5 (Ws over Nicholls & NIU, Ls @Aub, @TTech, A&M, Bama, Georgia).

However, UAB, @Ms St, LSU (after a bye), and Ole Miss are all winnable games.  At that point, we'd be 6-5, and @Missouri could be for a 7 win season, and even 8 wins if we can pull off one of the @Tech, A&M, or Georgia games.

Of course, it's also possible we start 1-6 and only win the UAB game for the rest of the year, but I refuse to believe that.  I think we should be able to win a few games this year.  We weren't that far off from the Mississippi schools this past year, and the LSU game has been close 2 years in a row even though we are underpowered.  Oh, and LSU plays Alabama the week before while we are on bye. 

All things considered, I think I'll just go with hoping for a bowl game.

Marshfieldhog

Go to the beach end of August, nice cheap rates then and water is super warm. Then catch Auburn game on way home. Problem solved.

Marshfieldhog

So what game will our 12 games SEC losing steak end at? I say Georgia in Little Rock for some reason, they lose their QB and the Rock will be jazzed up for their one game for the year.

younghog

No it will not..

The renovated stadium is not all by..

AND WHEN WE WIN... [will it matter]

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Professor Psychosis

We get Alabama the 2nd of a 2-week road stretch for them.

They actually have a somewhat hard schedule, at least for them.  Surprised the SEC only gave them 1 home game during a 5 game stretch (bye before LSU game though).

Aug. 30   West Virginia   Atlanta, Georgia
Sept. 6   Florida Atlantic   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Sept. 13   Southern Miss   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Sept. 20   *Florida   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Oct. 4   *at Ole Miss   Oxford, Mississippi
Oct. 11   *at Arkansas   Fayetteville, Arkansas
Oct. 18   *Texas A&M   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Oct. 25   *at Tennessee   Knoxville, Tennessee
Nov. 8   *at LSU   Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Nov. 15   *Mississippi State   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Nov. 22   Western Carolina   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Nov. 29   *Auburn   Bryant-Denny Stadium

YodaHog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 06, 2014, 12:44:07 pm
Go to the beach end of August, nice cheap rates then and water is super warm. Then catch Auburn game on way home. Problem solved.

hmmm - I might just look into that!

titsonboar

TexasTransplant

Quote from: tusked on February 06, 2014, 12:34:07 pm
At least you can get good PORK BBQ in Starkville.  Went into a BBQ joint in Lubbock one time and said don't you have pork ? We have HAM ! she said.   oyvey....brisket is NOT BBQ no matter how much sauce you put on it.
Yeah, Texas definitely plays in the second division when it comes to BBQ because they start with the wrong ingredient!

superior_wang

Quote from: CorkscrewU on February 06, 2014, 01:00:11 pm
Bowl game is possible
14-0 is possible as well. just not likely.

ah, reminds me of ol HDN , thrilled to the gills,  expounding the fact his team was "bowl eligible". good grief.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on February 06, 2014, 11:57:03 am
I count 6, but then again I am weird in that I count any game not at home as an away game.

Regardless, 2 of the 1st 3 are on the road and 3 of the 1st 5 are if you count playing in Arlington. 

I see what you did there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: litmachog on February 06, 2014, 12:23:21 pm

Actually Columbia is a pretty nice prototypical college town.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TexasTransplant on February 06, 2014, 01:05:07 pm
Yeah, Texas definitely plays in the second division when it comes to BBQ because they start with the wrong ingredient!

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Inhogswetrust

Wild Bill Hog

superior_wang

what could be embarrassing is losing to an overrated coach like Mark Richt.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: Speedracer on February 06, 2014, 12:23:59 pm
Waste Management stadium
Don't take away from the soldiers.  War Memorial.  It stands for something no matter if you don't think it's pretty enough or don't feel like driving to.  +1 to soldiers, -1 to you.
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

olivebranchhog

Quote from: TexasTransplant on February 06, 2014, 01:05:07 pm

I'm torn on this. My family started our own Memphis style BBQ company after a few years in Dallas.  Couldn't find good bbq anywhere. 
But Brisket is most  definitely BBQ. We've done sanctioned competitions in 6 States and brisket is a category in every single one.  It may not be what you want, but it's 10x harder to get right than pork.  Nearly every comp. We've done is decided by brisket. Out of 100 entrants, you might get 10 or so pork shoulders that you can tell apart.  You'd be hard pressed to even pick out your own meat.  But with brisket you could try 100 and pick out 50 unique flavor profiles. Anyone with a $50 smoker can marinade pork and turn out amazing meat.  Only the best can make a great brisket. If you're ever in dfw send me a message. Easily the best pork, chicken, brisket you'll get in this state. 
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

Tusks

I used to live in dallas, early 90's.  they called pork BBQ carolina BBQ when I was there.  I think brisket it great but I like poking fun at the texicans because in the other 49 states BBQ means pork.
I had pork BBQ and ribs last night while watching the BB game.  Brisket and hog ball, just don't sound right.
If you want a steak, use a cow.  If you want BBQ, use a pig.  :)

Quote from: olivebranchhog on February 06, 2014, 02:00:33 pm
I'm torn on this. My family started our own Memphis style BBQ company after a few years in Dallas.  Couldn't find good bbq anywhere. 
But Brisket is most  definitely BBQ. We've done sanctioned competitions in 6 States and brisket is a category in every single one.  It may not be what you want, but it's 10x harder to get right than pork.  Nearly every comp. We've done is decided by brisket. Out of 100 entrants, you might get 10 or so pork shoulders that you can tell apart.  You'd be hard pressed to even pick out your own meat.  But with brisket you could try 100 and pick out 50 unique flavor profiles. Anyone with a $50 smoker can marinade pork and turn out amazing meat.  Only the best can make a great brisket. If you're ever in dfw send me a message. Easily the best pork, chicken, brisket you'll get in this state. 

hobhog

Game in WMS against UGA will be epic. Not many games remaining to be played in that stadium and finally get a decent opponent. Crowd (and tailgaiting) will be awesome.

UGA won't know what hit them......

GSD is for losers.

olivebranchhog

Quote from: tusked on February 06, 2014, 02:11:32 pm
I used to live in dallas, early 90's.  they called pork BBQ carolina BBQ when I was there.  I think brisket it great but I like poking fun at the texicans because in the other 49 states BBQ means pork.
I had pork BBQ and ribs last night while watching the BB game.  Brisket and hog ball, just don't sound right.
If you want a steak, use a cow.  If you want BBQ, use a pig.  :)

Haha I'm right there with you.  I'll take pork over just about anything.  Better believe when I go back to Arkansas I get sauce and plenty of pulled pork sandwiches at Whole Hog.  I just can't see someone say brisket is less than bbq because it's the hardest darned thing to get right in a competition. 

Back on topic....I see 6 wins here.  We'll see how that moves after spring. 
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on February 06, 2014, 12:51:22 pm
We get Alabama the 2nd of a 2-week road stretch for them.

They actually have a somewhat hard schedule, at least for them.  Surprised the SEC only gave them 1 home game during a 5 game stretch (bye before LSU game though).

Aug. 30   West Virginia   Atlanta, Georgia
Sept. 6   Florida Atlantic   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Sept. 13   Southern Miss   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Sept. 20   *Florida   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Oct. 4   *at Ole Miss   Oxford, Mississippi
Oct. 11   *at Arkansas   Fayetteville, Arkansas
Oct. 18   *Texas A&M   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Oct. 25   *at Tennessee   Knoxville, Tennessee
Nov. 8   *at LSU   Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Nov. 15   *Mississippi State   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Nov. 22   Western Carolina   Bryant-Denny Stadium
Nov. 29   *Auburn   Bryant-Denny Stadium

At least they have to play that dirty Florida team before us. Possibility they could be a bit beat up before heading to Fayetteville.
This is my non-signature signature.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hobhog on February 06, 2014, 02:13:07 pm
Game in WMS against UGA will be epic. Not many games remaining to be played in that stadium and finally get a decent opponent. Crowd (and tailgaiting) will be awesome.

GSD is for losers.

Amen.
This is my non-signature signature.

razorback92587

Quote from: hobhog on February 06, 2014, 02:13:07 pm

GSD is for losers.

Couldn't have said it any better
WPS

Atlhogfan1

Playing UGa in WMS and it being embarrassing has nothing to do with the GSD as far as I'm concerned. 

Our crowd of 46,000 Hog fans (assuming UGa brings their 8,000) is about half what UGa or any other SEC team faces in many road venues in this conference.  Doubt that or the tailgating lol fazes them.  Now the small, antiquated visitor locker room or stadium may act like the Tad Pad of football and underwhelm them to the point of complacency.  They may be shocked that an SEC team is hosting a game there and lose focus.

It will be embarrassing to host UGa and their fans there. 

rhames

Quote from: superior_wang on February 06, 2014, 01:39:38 pm
what could be embarrassing is losing to an overrated coach like Mark Richt.

Like your boy bobby did in his second year?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

superior_wang

Quote from: rhames on February 06, 2014, 03:05:36 pm

Like your boy bobby did in his second year?

good point, still true. Richt is the world champ at crushing his teams high expectations every year.

Even St Bobby and Nick Satan cant win them all.

why all the hate bruddah ? not good fa you , yeah?

rhames

Quote from: superior_wang on February 06, 2014, 03:10:43 pm
good point, still true. Richt is the world champ at crushing his teams high expectations every year.

Even St Bobby and Nick Satan cant win them all.

why all the hate bruddah ? not good fa you , yeah?

No hate
Just kind of angered me when you said I tossed longs salad in the other thread.

And I'm not a big Jeff Long guy.

All good now. I'm over it
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

superior_wang

Quote from: rhames on February 06, 2014, 03:20:16 pm

No hate
Just kind of angered me when you said I tossed longs salad in the other thread.

And I'm not a big Jeff Long guy.

All good now. I'm over it

ah yes well, that would do it.. sorry bout that, i can be a p_e_n_i_s at times...  here ill +1 ya.  have a good one!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Actually playing GA in LR makes perfect sense.  UGA will be a much tougher opponent than Ole Miss.  Long and Bielema know just like most fans in lower Arkansas that WMS is a magical place and gives the UofA a distinct schematical advantage over it's opponents.  It's good for atleast 7 to 10 pts.  It's good for recruiting as well.  Georgia produces an abundance of D1 talent.  A lot of eyes in Georgia will be watching the game so might as well feature our showplace instead of that monstrosity on the Hill 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hobhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 06, 2014, 03:01:18 pm
Playing UGa in WMS and it being embarrassing has nothing to do with the GSD as far as I'm concerned. 

Our crowd of 46,000 Hog fans (assuming UGa brings their 8,000) is about half what UGa or any other SEC team faces in many road venues in this conference.  Doubt that or the tailgating lol fazes them.  Now the small, antiquated visitor locker room or stadium may act like the Tad Pad of football and underwhelm them to the point of complacency.  They may be shocked that an SEC team is hosting a game there and lose focus.

It will be embarrassing to host UGa and their fans there.

Not sure why you care so much about what other people (UGA) think, but all I know is it will be a great day for Razorback fans. It will be festive. It will be loud. And I think we shock them. That's all I care about and can't wait to be there.