Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on a new DC...

Started by PorkRinds, February 05, 2014, 08:23:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 06, 2014, 08:40:30 am
Shannon wanted the job. You are misinformed and naive of you believe otherwise.

Unless you work in the athletic department or know Shannon personally ( you may, in which case I apologize, although it seems unlikely since you are on this message board) then comments like this are a little on the ridiculous side.

Scott7703

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 06, 2014, 09:06:53 am
He's been offered other DC positions and turned them down.  Now he's been promoted and not the DC here.  You can take from that what you will, but forgive me if I don't trust your "sources".  Chances are, you have none.

Slide on over and see what mike Irwin said. Seems to line up with what I said.

Scott7703

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on February 06, 2014, 09:07:32 am
That's why he decided to stay here and not take a DC job elsewhere right?

What other jobs did he turn down?

I can only go off what I'm told and that is that Shannon wanted the job.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 06, 2014, 09:09:51 am

I already slid on over, and Mike didn't say Randy wanted the job.  Mike said he's been told two things, and doesn't know which to believe.  One that Randy wanted the job and will be gone soon, and one that Randy was cool with getting a raise and keeping his current duties along with the new title.  Now, you can twist that however you wish, but Mike never said he knew for a fact that Randy wanted the job. 

I-HATE-Nutt

Have you considered that Randy Shannon DOESN"T want his name associated with this defense?

Bebop

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 06, 2014, 09:11:23 am

I know he turned down the Maryland job. There were rumors about him going to Oregon and Louisville.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 06, 2014, 09:09:51 am

So Mike Irwin is your source? I'm not saying he's not a good one, but he's also not very exclusive.  He's a lot of people's source.

Scott7703

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on February 06, 2014, 09:27:34 am
So Mike Irwin is your source? I'm not saying he's not a good one, but he's also not very exclusive.  He's a lot of people's source.

No mike Irwin isn't my source.

Scott7703

Quote from: Chris D on February 06, 2014, 09:16:34 am
I know he turned down the Maryland job. There were rumors about him going to Oregon and Louisville.

Hmmm, do you really believe he had no desire to be our coordinator?

braxhog

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 06, 2014, 09:35:02 am
Hmmm, do you really believe he had no desire to be our coordinator?

He got a hefty raise, probably more than the actual DC will make, a new title, and he gets to continue to recruit like crazy, something a DC doesn't get to do as much of. Plus, if the defense is horrible again, his job is secure. Sounds like a win-win for us and Coach Shannon.

Scott7703

Quote from: braxhog on February 06, 2014, 09:42:02 am
He got a hefty raise, probably more than the actual DC will make, a new title, and he gets to continue to recruit like crazy, something a DC doesn't get to do as much of. Plus, if the defense is horrible again, his job is secure. Sounds like a win-win for us and Coach Shannon.

I like this theory and really hope he is happy with this promotion. He is definitely a great recruiter and I want to keep RS on staff as long as possible: I just worry that is isn't the case. I hear he wanted the job. Maybe things get smoothed over and I agree more money with out the headache of the defense being on you sounds good. Just hope randy Shannon agrees.

braxhog

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 06, 2014, 09:51:48 am
I like this theory and really hope he is happy with this promotion. He is definitely a great recruiter and I want to keep RS on staff as long as possible: I just worry that is isn't the case. I hear he wanted the job. Maybe things get smoothed over and I agree more money with out the headache of the defense being on you sounds good. Just hope randy Shannon agrees.
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Mr. Irwin said he didn't know who to believe. I lean to the side of he is happy doing what he is doing (I must admit I am an eternal optimist). He's a great coach, and he won't be here forever. I'm glad we have him while we do.

Redhogs

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2014, 08:23:31 pm
There is obviously a reason or two that Shannon was not named DC. I would be willing to bet  as some here have contended, that CBB knows that Shannon wants to be a head coach soon. If he hired Butch Davis, it would be with the full understanding that Davis wants to be a head coach again. I've given it quite a bit of thought, especially since CRS was basically taken out of the running for DC and Davis basically said he would take the job but wasn't offered. The one thing that connects the fact that both Shannon and Davis, two amazing coaches and candidates weren't chosen, is that to me, it's becoming obvious that CBB wants and values consistency, which is something he's not had as a head coach. If he hires CRS or Davis, as soon as they see success, they'll be gone. Maybe one or two seasons and you're looking for a new guy at DC. If CBB can keep Shannon on staff as long as possible with an AHC title, he can hire a coordinator that is an up and comer that isn't likely to grab a higher profile job so quickly. It gives his defense consistency, which is something they've not really ever had. I feel the same way about the Segrest hire. I think he's sick of replacing coaches so quickly, and sees that the only way he can get a coach to stay is by hiring guys that aren't huge names and allow them to make their name and build themselves a resume here.  I could be completely off base here, but it seems to make sense. He's hiring for long term stability of the program, and not to make a splash.  If that's the case, I understand completely.
I do think there is an element of truth to this. How much it actually plays into his decision, only he could say, but I do think it may play some part. At some point you get tired of losing staff members every year, and yes it does affect consistency and recruiting no matter who the coaches are.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 06, 2014, 09:11:23 am

I can only go off logic and say that if he really wanted to be a DC, someone would give him a job.

Pork Twain

There is obviously a reason or two that Shannon was not named DC. I would be willing to bet  as some here have contended, that CBB knows that Shannon wants to be a head coach soon. If he hired Butch Davis, it would be with the full understanding that Davis wants to be a head coach again. I've given it quite a bit of thought, especially since CRS was basically taken out of the running for DC and Davis basically said he would take the job but wasn't offered. The one thing that connects the fact that both Shannon and Davis, two amazing coaches and candidates weren't chosen, is that to me, it's becoming obvious that CBB wants and values consistency, which is something he's not had as a head coach. If he hires CRS or Davis, as soon as they see success, they'll be gone. Maybe one or two seasons and you're looking for a new guy at DC. If CBB can keep Shannon on staff as long as possible with an AHC title, he can hire a coordinator that is an up and comer that isn't likely to grab a higher profile job so quickly. It gives his defense consistency, which is something they've not really ever had. I feel the same way about the Segrest hire. I think he's sick of replacing coaches so quickly, and sees that the only way he can get a coach to stay is by hiring guys that aren't huge names and allow them to make their name and build themselves a resume here.  I could be completely off base here, but it seems to make sense. He's hiring for long term stability of the program, and not to make a splash.  If that's the case, I understand completely.
Most reasonable assessment I have seen so far.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Scott7703

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on February 06, 2014, 10:11:10 am
I can only go off logic and say that if he really wanted to be a DC, someone would give him a job.

I hope this is the case. I hope he is happy/content with the promotion he got. I also hope smith surprises me and we see a ton of improvement on defense. I'm just skeptical on both.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 06, 2014, 10:19:29 am
I hope this is the case. I hope he is happy/content with the promotion he got. I also hope smith surprises me and we see a ton of improvement on defense. I'm just skeptical on both.

I hope he is as well. I just don't understand that IF he wanted to be a DC again, with as big a name as he is, why he couldn't become one whether it be at Ark or at FAU.

DoctorSusscrofa

I love it when people claim to have sources.  The only source I believe is the one who puts his own reputation on the line with his own name. That means I don't take anything here all that seriously. Every post in here is strictly rumor. A few rumors, very few, turn out to be true. But not because of which screen name said them.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

PorkRinds

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 07, 2014, 08:56:24 am
I love it when people claim to have sources.  The only source I believe is the one who puts his own reputation on the line with his own name. That means I don't take anything here all that seriously. Every post in here is strictly rumor. A few rumors, very few, turn out to be true. But not because of which screen name said them.

Who claimed to have sources?

**Edit**never mind.  I see Scott claimed he's got sources

Großer Kriegschwein

It seems that everyone has decided who THEY want as a DC. Then they only look at things that prove why THEIR candidate SHOULD get the job and why it is the best course of action for the program. I'd say that is noble, just don't be rude about it.

I don't have sources and don't claim to know who it is gonna be. I would have been happy with RS or BD because I've seen their "body of work" at other institutions because it was at a national level. Not so sure about others just due to lack of information. A real good feeling is hard to get from a bunch of statistics.
This is my non-signature signature.

grim_sleeper

I didn't think the new DC had been named yet?  Did I miss something?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: grim_sleeper on February 07, 2014, 09:46:47 am
I didn't think the new DC had been named yet?  Did I miss something?

Nope.. Just not gonna be Shannon. Everyone else is still in the game.
This is my non-signature signature.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 05, 2014, 09:26:31 pm
Regardless of who we hire if they have a couple years of success they will move on.

That is a good bet it would happen...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Hawg Life

Shannon didn't want the job.. AHC is above the DC. Shannon will have more time to recruit . DC's rarely recruit. This makes sense.

PorkRinds

I heard a quote from CBB at the signing day show in Little Rock, where he basically compared his hiring process to when Long hired him, and suggested it could be someone out of left field that hasn't been mentioned.  It certainly seems as if the "Robb Smith is the new DC" talk may have been premature.

HF#1

It just shouldn't.  Common sense leads you to believe that you would want it filled before NSD.  Most assumed it would be Shannon but now we know it's not.  So what exactly is holding things up?  In his interview with Chuck, he said we'd know something in the next week.  Ash has been gone for a while now.

It just appears that this is being handled with little to no focus or emphasis.  One would think that this is a position you would want to fill rather quickly.  I thought it was odd we would be willing to go into NSD with no DC.  Now, it just seems absurd.  I have patience and I trust the coach but we are letting this linger for no reason.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PorkRinds

Quote from: HogFan#1 on February 07, 2014, 10:20:57 am
It just shouldn't.  Common sense leads you to believe that you would want it filled before NSD.  Most assumed it would be Shannon but now we know it's not.  So what exactly is holding things up?  In his interview with Chuck, he said we'd know something in the next week.  Ash has been gone for a while now.

It just appears that this is being handled with little to no focus or emphasis.  One would think that this is a position you would want to fill rather quickly.  I thought it was odd we would be willing to go into NSD with no DC.  Now, it just seems absurd.  I have patience and I trust the coach but we are letting this linger for no reason.

With absolutely zero idea what's going on behind the scenes, you really have no idea if it should take this long or not.  Again, everyone here is guessing as to what's going on.  I understand the focus on recruiting instead of hiring a DC.  It didn't hurt us either way, and it gave him a little more time to make his choice.  It's literally not hurting the program in any way at this point.  Fans want it sooner, but they also have unrealistic expectations about who it will be, and when it will take place.  If CBB thought it was hurting the program, it would be done by now.  You, me, nor anyone else is in a position to know more than he does about how it's effecting the team, and what time frame he should use.

Scott7703

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 09:53:51 am
I heard a quote from CBB at the signing day show in Little Rock, where he basically compared his hiring process to when Long hired him, and suggested it could be someone out of left field that hasn't been mentioned.  It certainly seems as if the "Robb Smith is the new DC" talk may have been premature.

Found those comments interesting also. Guess it could still be smith but I didn't get that feel from CBB.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 07, 2014, 11:05:40 am
Found those comments interesting also. Guess it could still be smith but I didn't get that feel from CBB.

Right.  I have no doubt that Smith is being, or has been considered.  From CBB's statement, it doesn't seem like Smith is the guy or that anyone has even been hired yet. 

hog_fan

Quote from: Hawg Life on February 07, 2014, 09:52:13 am
Shannon didn't want the job.. AHC is above the DC. Shannon will have more time to recruit . DC's rarely recruit. This makes sense.

It's not above DC. Pittman is Associate and makes 50k less than Chaney. DC will call plays.

Pancetta

I hope CBB knows what he is doing. I'm worried something has fallen through and he may be a little over his head on the hiring. I dont know how much input Long had when CBB was first putting his staff together but I doubt that he was ever flying solo at WI when he was interviewing and hiring.  Man I hope Im just being a doubting Thomas and CBB is going to hire the next Buddy Ryan.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Hoggish1

Quote from: HogFan#1 on February 07, 2014, 10:20:57 am
I thought it was odd we would be willing to go into NSD with no DC.  Now, it just seems absurd.  I have patience and I trust the coach but we are letting this linger for no reason.

You can be sure there IS a reason this appears to have "lingered."   

menehune

I think all of us want to know who the DC is going to be, and I'm SURE that many of us have opinions about who it should be.  The thing that bothers me is that people - Fans - truly believe that they deserve and are entitled to know every single detail about the behind the scenes happenings from players, discipline, hirings, etc.  I coach for a living - have for about 30 years - I have to be concerned about all those things in our program.  I don't have the time or the energy necessary to consider all those things about any other program.  I just enjoy being a fan and letting the Razorback coaches worry about all that behind the scenes stuff!!!

The real Hogules

Quote from: Hawg Life on February 05, 2014, 10:02:20 pm
RANDY SHANNON DID NOT WANT TO BE THE DC!!!

AND YOU PERSONALLY KNOW THIS HOW???

NOTE - Yeah, all caps posts might not be the way to go.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

IBleedRazorbackRed

There is no proof one way or another that Shannon wanted or didnt want the dc job, so it's pointless to argue that as fact. Shannon got his money to have less responsibility. I'm sure he's ok with that. Everybody spouting off that we need a Texas recruiter, why don't you make a list of candidates that recruit Texas, and have a successful track record calling defense. Odom is the only guy I know of, but my guess is he turned bielema down.

Athog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2014, 09:24:38 pm
No one here is the head coach. That's the problem.

That is all for attention...right?? You are either funny or pathetic? You choose!!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Athog on February 08, 2014, 10:25:10 am
That is all for attention...right?? You are either funny or pathetic? You choose!!

I have no idea what you're talking about here.

online-with-swine

I thought it was interesting what CBB said in the signing day video posted above.  He basically said that him being out and recruiting gave him cover to interview several people without raising suspicion.  I do think this hire will be someone out of left field and not a Smith, Odom or Davis.

The real Hogules

HDN had consistancy when it came to assistant coaches. They remained together with Nutt so long that his Posse became known as the MSM.

JFB had success as head coach at Arkansas and he surrounded himself with assistants that he KNEW would eventually make the jump to head coach.

JFB had several assistants that went on to become great college coaches.
Nutt, not so much.

I prefer JFB's method of hiring assistants to that of TCTWF.

PorkRinds

Quote from: KnilesKankle on February 08, 2014, 11:05:59 am
I thought it was interesting what CBB said in the signing day video posted above.  He basically said that him being out and recruiting gave him cover to interview several people without raising suspicion.  I do think this hire will be someone out of left field and not a Smith, Odom or Davis.

I agree.

PorkRinds

Quote from: The real Hogules on February 08, 2014, 11:06:14 am
HDN had consistancy when it came to assistant coaches. They remained together with Nutt so long that his Posse became known as the MSM.

JFB had success as head coach at Arkansas and he surrounded himself with assistants that he KNEW would eventually make the jump to head coach.

JFB had several assistants that went on to become great college coaches.
Nutt, not so much.

I prefer JFB's method of hiring assistants to that of TCTWF.

I get that. I'm not saying he wants to hire a scrub just to keep him around. It's like Kentucky. You can either fill your roster with stud one and dones or fill it with solid players that stay for longer.  Or you can have a mixture of both.

The real Hogules

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 08, 2014, 11:08:43 am
I get that. I'm not saying he wants to hire a scrub just to keep him around. It's like Kentucky. You can either fill your roster with stud one and dones or fill it with solid players that stay for longer.  Or you can have a mixture of both.

Robb S. has had 3 jobs that I know of and was fired from each and every one of them.
Now, I do understand that good coaches get fired all of the time. Some as scapegoats for their head coach, who's trying to get another year at his current job, but to be fired from all 3 makes me wonder if he's an up and comer, or as you put it, a scrub.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: The real Hogules on February 08, 2014, 11:54:34 am
Robb S. has had 3 jobs that I know of and was fired from each and every one of them.
Now, I do understand that good coaches get fired all of the time. Some as scapegoats for their head coach, who's trying to get another year at his current job, but to be fired from all 3 makes me wonder if he's an up and comer, or as you put it, a scrub.

Only place he was fired was Tampa bay and that's because shianio was fired. He left Maine to go to rutgers. Left rutgers to go to tampa. Don't let facts get in the way of your bashing

wachhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 11:07:06 am
Right.  I have no doubt that Smith is being, or has been considered.  From CBB's statement, it doesn't seem like Smith is the guy or that anyone has even been hired yet. 
Maybe he knows Smith would be somewhat diss appointing to the fans.  So. He let it leak out and has been letting us get used to it.  Not a bad PR move. Takes the edge off.

PorkRinds

Quote from: The real Hogules on February 08, 2014, 11:54:34 am

He's only been fired once actually.

seasonhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2014, 09:53:51 am

Still reading love letters...I guess.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I think this has already been said but Davis is 62.  If he were to take the DC job here it would probably be his last stop.  Probably makes your theory incorrect

THE DirecTV Man

Just got a notification from score center that ex rutgers assistant rob smith is new dc??

SavoySeamster

ESPN put it out as well....
"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes."