Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on a new DC...

Started by PorkRinds, February 05, 2014, 08:23:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

There is obviously a reason or two that Shannon was not named DC. I would be willing to bet  as some here have contended, that CBB knows that Shannon wants to be a head coach soon. If he hired Butch Davis, it would be with the full understanding that Davis wants to be a head coach again. I've given it quite a bit of thought, especially since CRS was basically taken out of the running for DC and Davis basically said he would take the job but wasn't offered. The one thing that connects the fact that both Shannon and Davis, two amazing coaches and candidates weren't chosen, is that to me, it's becoming obvious that CBB wants and values consistency, which is something he's not had as a head coach. If he hires CRS or Davis, as soon as they see success, they'll be gone. Maybe one or two seasons and you're looking for a new guy at DC. If CBB can keep Shannon on staff as long as possible with an AHC title, he can hire a coordinator that is an up and comer that isn't likely to grab a higher profile job so quickly. It gives his defense consistency, which is something they've not really ever had. I feel the same way about the Segrest hire. I think he's sick of replacing coaches so quickly, and sees that the only way he can get a coach to stay is by hiring guys that aren't huge names and allow them to make their name and build themselves a resume here.  I could be completely off base here, but it seems to make sense. He's hiring for long term stability of the program, and not to make a splash.  If that's the case, I understand completely.

FBREW000

one problem with this thought process.  He needs to show success as soon as possible.  Those high priority names would surely help do so quicker.

I understand your premise though

PorkRinds

Quote from: FBREW000 on February 05, 2014, 08:28:05 pm
one problem with this thought process.  He needs to show success as soon as possible.  Those high priority names would surely help do so quicker.

I understand your premise though

Would they? Randy Shannon is already on staff and hired as AHC. How would it change anything to make him DC? The recruits he got were coming whether he was DC or not obviously. You could make that argument for Davis though.

PorkSoda

I wonder if BB delayed the announcement cause he changed his mind and is now considering Davis.  he could have leaked the Robb Smith name as a smoke screen.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ChauvinistPig

Bobby P hired a big name DC by giving a huge salary for 5 years...guess we can't do that here. I thought Ash was BB hand picked Guy to bring that continuity. You never know when your guy will leave in coaching. I think they should get the best coach they can..even if it's for a couple years. I have a feeling though coach BB has a lot of influence on the defense and doesn't want to hand the keys over to someone else. That might explain passing over the great DCs.

arkvet

If your logic is actually correct and he's passing on qualified coaches because they might leave when successfu tthen I personally believe he's dumb. Success will open doors for asst coaches no matter who they are.

That logic would be like dating an ugly woman so you don't have to worry as much about her leaving.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChauvinistPig on February 05, 2014, 08:48:24 pm
Bobby P hired a big name DC by giving a huge salary for 5 years...guess we can't do that here. I thought Ash was BB hand picked Guy to bring that continuity. You never know when your guy will leave in coaching. I think they should get the best coach they can..even if it's for a couple years. I have a feeling though coach BB has a lot of influence on the defense and doesn't want to hand the keys over to someone else. That might explain passing over the great DCs.
hate to say it, but that sounds eerily like how nutt was to offense.  heck why even have a DC.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ldfergu

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2014, 08:23:31 pm
There is obviously a reason or two that Shannon was not named DC. I would be willing to bet  as some here have contended, that CBB knows that Shannon wants to be a head coach soon. If he hired Butch Davis, it would be with the full understanding that Davis wants to be a head coach again. I've given it quite a bit of thought, especially since CRS was basically taken out of the running for DC and Davis basically said he would take the job but wasn't offered. The one thing that connects the fact that both Shannon and Davis, two amazing coaches and candidates weren't chosen, is that to me, it's becoming obvious that CBB wants and values consistency, which is something he's not had as a head coach. If he hires CRS or Davis, as soon as they see success, they'll be gone. Maybe one or two seasons and you're looking for a new guy at DC. If CBB can keep Shannon on staff as long as possible with an AHC title, he can hire a coordinator that is an up and comer that isn't likely to grab a higher profile job so quickly. It gives his defense consistency, which is something they've not really ever had. I feel the same way about the Segrest hire. I think he's sick of replacing coaches so quickly, and sees that the only way he can get a coach to stay is by hiring guys that aren't huge names and allow them to make their name and build themselves a resume here.  I could be completely off base here, but it seems to make sense. He's hiring for long term stability of the program, and not to make a splash.  If that's the case, I understand completely.

I get what your sayin but hope its not the case.  While I don't care if we hire a flashy name or not - he needs to hire the best guy available.  If that guy is Butch then hire him.  Word his contract to where he stays for 4 to 5 years.

The thing is which ever coach, regardless of what their name is, if they are able to turn our atrocious defense around they will be mentioned for head coaching positions.

PorkRinds

Quote from: arkvet on February 05, 2014, 08:50:19 pm
If your logic is actually correct and he's passing on qualified coaches because they might leave when successfu tthen I personally believe he's dumb. Success will open doors for asst coaches no matter who they are.

That logic would be like dating an ugly woman so you don't have to worry as much about her leaving.

Actually it would be more like marrying the 8 instead of dating the 10 that has let you know she's going to jump ship as soon as she finds a richer guy. In the end anyone he hires is a crapshoot. I don't pretend to know his reasoning, and obviously it's all conjecture at this point.

PorkRinds

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on February 05, 2014, 08:54:59 pm
I get what your sayin but hope its not the case.  While I don't care if we hire a flashy name or not - he needs to hire the best guy available.  If that guy is Butch then hire him.  Word his contract to where he stays for 4 to 5 years.

The thing is which ever coach, regardless of what their name is, if they are able to turn our atrocious defense around they will be mentioned for head coaching positions.

All fair points.

Lake City Hog

I think you are wrong on Davis, he has reached the age that Arkansas would be his last job. He would take the DC position and retire in the Fayetteville area.

Scott7703

Quote from: lchog on February 05, 2014, 09:09:50 pm
I think you are wrong on Davis, he has reached the age that Arkansas would be his last job. He would take the DC position and retire in the Fayetteville area.

I think you are right. He wouldn't leave as long as we would have him.

Marshfieldhog

Seems like Butch Davis is a no brainer hire. Great coach, great recruiter, wants to be here. What's the problem?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Todd G maybe a big name, but he is a poor coach.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 05, 2014, 09:15:48 pm
Seems like Butch Davis is a no brainer hire. Great coach, great recruiter, wants to be here. What's the problem?

No one here is the head coach. That's the problem.

Tim Harris

Regardless of who we hire if they have a couple years of success they will move on.

wupigsuey

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 05, 2014, 09:15:48 pm

fit?
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 05, 2014, 09:26:31 pm
Regardless of who we hire if they have a couple years of success they will move on.

You really think so? I really don't want to believe that we can't have some consistency with our defense. A new DC every two years doesn't sound like the way to build long term success.

Pork Twain

Anything to base any of this on?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PorkRinds

PigTimePlayer

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 05, 2014, 08:39:10 pm
I wonder if BB delayed the announcement cause he changed his mind and is now considering Davis.  he could have leaked the Robb Smith name as a smoke screen.

I have no info at all, but I don't think this sounds impossible. could have been that Shannon was the leader and then CBB discovered that Davis would take the job. Give Shannon another kind of promotion, let the media chase Smith for a few days while talks with Davis can take place.  Doesn't sound impossible to me.

hey it's Hogville . . . we like chasing theories.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2014, 09:31:33 pm
Going with his gut.
Those of us posting on Hogville, with no knowledge of what is going on, on the Hill, should probably stay away from that.

ChauvinistPig

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 05, 2014, 09:30:21 pm
Anything to base any of this on?

The fact that Randy Shannon was not given the DC job. If he was willing to stay to be assistant head coach, he could have been per$ueded to be DC. Somebody might have control issues...just guessing as I have no insider knowledge.

ChauvinistPig

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 05, 2014, 09:36:56 pm
Those of us posting on Hogville, with no knowledge of what is going on, on the Hill, should probably stay away from that.

Ok beohog, who is our DC? Why is he better than Randy Shannon?

PorkRinds

Quote from: ChauvinistPig on February 05, 2014, 09:45:13 pm
Because whoever he is, he wants the job?

ChauvinistPig

Also beoswine, is BB an offensive minded coach or a defensive one?

ChauvinistPig

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2014, 09:48:07 pm

I guess I missed the interview where RS said he did not want it...my apologies

PorkRinds

Quote from: ChauvinistPig on February 05, 2014, 09:53:41 pm
I guess I missed the interview where RS said he did not want it...my apologies

I guess I missed the one where he said he did. He's had multiple chances to be a DC and hasn't yet. Our job comes open, and he takes an assistant head coach title instead. You can take from that what you will.

Pork Twain

We do not even know who wants the job, who was talked to or who was offered, but carry on.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ChauvinistPig on February 05, 2014, 09:49:28 pm
Also beoswine, is BB an offensive minded coach or a defensive one?
Classy tactic...  Why does that matter?

ChauvinistPig

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 05, 2014, 09:57:05 pm
Classy tactic...  Why does that matter?

B/c u ask what I base MY OPINION on and then say some stupid rhetoric like this:

"Those of us posting on Hogville, with no knowledge of what is going on, on the Hill, should probably stay away from that"

Hawg Life

Quote from: ChauvinistPig on February 05, 2014, 09:41:20 pm
The fact that Randy Shannon was not given the DC job. If he was willing to stay to be assistant head coach, he could have been per$ueded to be DC. Somebody might have control issues...just guessing as I have no insider knowledge.

RANDY SHANNON DID NOT WANT TO BE THE DC!!!

PorkRinds

Quote from: ChauvinistPig on February 05, 2014, 10:01:51 pm
B/c u ask what I base MY OPINION on and then say some stupid rhetoric like this:

"Those of us posting on Hogville, with no knowledge of what is going on, on the Hill, should probably stay away from that"

To be fair, he was responding to me when he said that.

Danny J

Pork Twain

Quote from: ChauvinistPig on February 05, 2014, 10:01:51 pm

I hope you don't base all of your opinions on so little, but I was not talking to you.

arkvet

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2014, 08:59:45 pm
Actually it would be more like marrying the 8 instead of dating the 10 that has let you know she's going to jump ship as soon as she finds a richer guy. In the end anyone he hires is a crapshoot. I don't pretend to know his reasoning, and obviously it's all conjecture at this point.

I think we both have legitimate points with a similar theme...  Predicting what a future assistant would do following success is much like trying to figure out at woman. 

Piggfoot

My thoughts are this. In the academic world an assistant professor is an entry level position and probably without tenure which may take him six or seven years to earn. At that time he may be promoted to the level of associate professor which usually includes tenure. Shannon's promotion to Senior Associate Head Coach is a big promotion. Certainly he is above any coordinator or position coach.
How he will be used is as yet undetermined.

Hiring Robb Smith is a good hire having coached in the pros and in the North east. You should look at map of where D1 players come from and you will see the Northeast is a heavy producer of D1 talent. The only place now that we don't have an inroad to recruiting is in the far west.

I still strongly believe that we must develop a playing presence in Florida and Texas more than every other year. We should give up our home games with no name teams for some other D1 teams preferably in Dallas, Houston, and either Miami, Tampa or Orlando.

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hawg Life

With CRS new position he will have more time for recruiting compared to a DC.. DC's rarely recruit..

redeye

Not sure that I agree with the decision, but it makes sense.

Porkatarian

Robb Smith

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Tim Harris

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2014, 09:30:11 pm
You really think so? I really don't want to believe that we can't have some consistency with our defense. A new DC every two years doesn't sound like the way to build long term success.

So far that is how it has been for him and to be honest a lot of coaches.  Since Bielema has been a HC here is how his DCs have played out.

Mike Hankwitz - 06-08.  He was fired
Dave Doeren - 08-10.  He left to be HC at Northern Illinois
Chris Ash - 11-12.  Then came here with Bielema and now at OSU.  He was with him for 3 years as the DC.

If he continues to hire young coaches whose goal is to be a HC then he will have to continue hiring coaches every few years.  My hope is that the new DC is here for 3 years.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 05, 2014, 09:26:31 pm

RazorPiggie

Scott7703

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2014, 09:48:07 pm

Shannon wanted the job. You are misinformed and naive of you believe otherwise.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 06, 2014, 08:40:30 am

Ok, I'll play.  Prove it.

Scott7703

Großer Kriegschwein

I'll submit that our LB play was bad this year and honestly I would like to see Shannon as a DC as much as the next guy, but I think his attentions may be better spent in the development of our LB corps as his primary responsibility. That would improve our defense dramatically if we get more production from them. 
This is my non-signature signature.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 06, 2014, 08:46:59 am
I'll play also. Get better sources.

He's been offered other DC positions and turned them down.  Now he's been promoted and not the DC here.  You can take from that what you will, but forgive me if I don't trust your "sources".  Chances are, you have none.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 06, 2014, 08:40:30 am

That's why he decided to stay here and not take a DC job elsewhere right?