Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Arkansas pay attention to money more than they do actual success?

Started by Sweet Feet, February 05, 2014, 08:17:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

It really seems like that. We often bring up the money aspect as to why the SEC is the conference for us, we use forbes to justify any relevance we have, we dont want to lose money in the state and keep the monopoly (which is vastly overrated), and more energy is expended trying to get money more than actually having success on the field. Is this a thought process that is holding the hogs back and keeping them in mediocrity?

Huckleberry Pig

have actually thought about this before... we always seem to be one of the more profitable athletic departments in the nation but recently it has not translated into wins.  Now I do have a positive outlook with the direction our football team is going and to be honest don't follow basketball much. 

But it does make me wonder what's being done with all the extra $$$

Sooie71923

Money rules the world.

No matter the season, money is the reason.

It's always and will always be about money.

EastexHawg

counsellorhog

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 05, 2014, 08:17:52 pm
It really seems like that. We often bring up the money aspect as to why the SEC is the conference for us, we use forbes to justify any relevance we have, we dont want to lose money in the state and keep the monopoly (which is vastly overrated), and more energy is expended trying to get money more than actually having success on the field. Is this a thought process that is holding the hogs back and keeping them in mediocrity?

Yep.

redeye

I don't know, but I hate to hear Arkansas fans say we're loaded.  We do we'll financially, but we're certainly not loaded.

3kgthog

That money will dwindle eventually. Many average fans with multiple season ticket packages will be priced out in the next 2-3 years. They'll be forced to choose one sport to support. That's the problem with the Jeff Long model. He has no understanding of revenues vs fan income levels in Arkansas. The dollar is the only goal and that's a bad way to build Hog legacies that keep tickets through generations. A bad product on the field will help give the above mentioned folks the last little push out the door. You'll already start seeing it in 2014 football season ticket sales.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

sowmonella

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 06, 2014, 08:27:16 am
Yep Jeff is pricing the Blue Collar Fan out !

Ours are near the bottom of the SEC is price. Thank goodness.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 06, 2014, 06:34:54 am
That money will dwindle eventually. Many average fans with multiple season ticket packages will be priced out in the next 2-3 years. They'll be forced to choose one sport to support. That's the problem with the Jeff Long model. He has no understanding of revenues vs fan income levels in Arkansas. The dollar is the only goal and that's a bad way to build Hog legacies that keep tickets through generations. A bad product on the field will help give the above mentioned folks the last little push out the door. You'll already start seeing it in 2014 football season ticket sales.

The school is about to add between 10 and 14 million in new revenue from the SEC network. It's estimated that each SEC schools take for licensing deals and tv rights would come to around 35 million per year. I think the program will be fine monetarily if season ticket sales drop. Which i doubt they will unless we lose 9 games again next year. I think Jeff Long probably has a pretty good understanding of revenues vs the income of the primary market demographic that he is marketing to. Yes this is a poor state, but Long only needs maybe 20,000 or fewer people to buy season ticket packages.

Jek Tono Porkins

Where you asking this same question in March of 2012?

Get a grip. Some of you act like the Arkansas program is the most stable in the world and that we should never have to suffer a rebuilding year.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

O Shucky

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 05, 2014, 08:17:52 pm

You can't have sustainable success without money, and you won't have as much money without sustainable success.

Bottom line = they care dearly about both because they go hand in hand. The problem is right now, the money is exceeding the winning by too great a ratio.

Perhaps with a little patience, we can turn that around. Go Hogs!

pfrg999

Yes.. Money will always be more critical in college football over success... if they could make 100 million and not have to put any effort into it.. Or make 100 million and spend most it on upgrades, high salaries, promotion and such.. what one would most major colleges choose.. ???

NOTE.. I realize that it does NOT actually work that way... But my point is Money rules, period.....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

rhames

Why do y'all continue to fall for this troll?

All his threads bash the program.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ncrebel

Oh look.  Another Sweet Feet thread about Arkansas being in the SEC.  This one is nicely disguised though.  Same Sweet Feet thread, just packaged in a different title.

As you really just a Sooner Troll having fun with us, or still butthurt that the SWC is gone?
Well, y'all need me, I'll be putting pictures of my arse on the internet.

AscensionHog

If the powers to be cared more about money than competing wouldn't they forfeit all the basketball road games and save the travel expense ???

superior_wang

superior_wang

Quote from: rhames on February 06, 2014, 10:16:23 am
Why do y'all continue to fall for this troll?

All his threads bash the program.

if u can stop tossing Jeff's salad for a minute,  the question he posts is legit. As ive said before, its the Colorado Buffalo model.  get into a power conference, pretend you are making an effort, and rake in the dough. This is integrity? me thinks not.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ncrebel on February 06, 2014, 11:05:06 am
Oh look.  Another Sweet Feet thread about Arkansas being in the SEC.  This one is nicely disguised though.  Same Sweet Feet thread, just packaged in a different title.

As you really just a Sooner Troll having fun with us, or still butthurt that the SWC is gone?
Thank you for showing interest in my post  :)

S.A.D.C

Making money IS actual success!  Jeff Long and the administration who have stewardship of the institution have a different scoreboard.  They are held PRIMARILY accountable for the checkbook. 

Now, I think it is safe to argue that #WINNING leads to making more money.  But make no mistake: if you offered them a choice of winning and losing money or losing and making money they would pick the later.  That is their job.

rhames

Quote from: superior_wang on February 06, 2014, 01:06:20 pm
if u can stop tossing Jeff's salad for a minute,  the question he posts is legit. As ive said before, its the Colorado Buffalo model.  get into a power conference, pretend you are making an effort, and rake in the dough. This is integrity? me thinks not.

Did I mention Jeff long?

Arkansas has experienced moderate success in the sec.

We are in a rebuilding mode thanks to poor recruiting, attrition and coaching turnover in both basketball and football.

If you give money and think it is a waste

Don't give money. It really is that simple.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

rhames

Btw it is a total oxymoron to say Jeff is pricing you out

And then turn around and expect for our program to be Alabama

We are truly the dumbest fanbase in the sec.

ThatGUY

embarrassing that "paid attendance" > "actual attendance".. seeing games on TV that are "sold out" but patches of empty seats show up as camera pans around stadium..

Of course the Bama game gets high attendance this year, by then everyone will be calling for CBB's head and changes to the staff.