Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Per Scout and 247 Recruiting...

Started by Fayettechill14, February 05, 2014, 06:08:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

three hog night

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 05, 2014, 11:46:57 pm
I've already addressed your go to line of 3 SEC championship appearances of which we haven't been back since 2006 while bama, LSU, and auburn all have and also have more overall appearances as well since we've entered the league.

But I guess the fact they have constantly higher ranked classes has nothing to do with that.

I'm sorry I come off as arrogant and negative but you come off as a group think company man towing the company message.

I realize we've always struggled in head to head recruiting against our competition but that doesn't help our situation. I don't know what the solution is or that there is one but pardon me for not being over the moon that we didn't sign a 2 star when our direct in conference competition is filling their classes with 4 and 5 stars and we get out recruited by Kentucky.

The only thing at this point I will hold out hope for is that Coach B can coach up our guys that we got to make us competative against what will likely be more talented teams.

Only time will tell on that one but I'm sincerely rooting for him.

I appreciate your response being toned down, so i will do likewise.  I am defensive against a number of posters that are downright negative to a point of concern.  It is a good thing I am not a moderator.  I truly believe these last 2 classes are solid especially at the bottom....but not spectacular.

I am not happy with our station in the SEC and how it looks like we need to really cheat to keep up.  It is a sad state of affairs but it is...what it is.  I see teams like Kentucky and Ole Miss as outliers of data, in that some can have a stellar year but can't maintain it.   I will get worried when Kentucky becomes a force on the field. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Hawg Life on February 05, 2014, 11:39:07 pm
Please tell me (your definition) the difference between a 5* & a 3* recruit.

5* recruits typically have the measurables and potential to come in and be immediate impact players if of course they can grasp the scheme and make the transition mentally.

3* recruits typically take development physically to become ready for major D1 competition and are typically good candidates for RS and extra time to mature.

There are of course exceptions to every rule but most of the time your 5* also have a higher hit percentage than bust than a 3*.

A 3* can of course develop into a 5* and a 5* can play like a 3* but that's typically the exception and not the rule.

Good enough for you?

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 11:59:12 pm
I appreciate your response being toned down, so i will do likewise.  I am defensive against a number of posters that are downright negative to a point of concern.  It is a good thing I am not a moderator.  I truly believe these last 2 classes are solid especially at the bottom....but not spectacular.

I am not happy with our station in the SEC and how it looks like we need to really cheat to keep up.  It is a sad state of affairs but it is...what it is.  I see teams like Kentucky and Ole Miss as outliers of data, in that some can have a stellar year but can't maintain it.   I will get worried when Kentucky becomes a force on the field.

Looky there we agree.

The one thing I do love about our classes is our big men. We are getting some hosses for sure!

I also agree this class is solid, still leaves some room for improvement, but solid nonetheless considering where we are and what's occurred over the last couple years.

three hog night

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 06, 2014, 12:08:58 am
Looky there we agree.

The one thing I do love about our classes is our big men. We are getting some hosses for sure!

I also agree this class is solid, still leaves some room for improvement, but solid nonetheless considering where we are and what's occurred over the last couple years.

Wow we do agree!!!   
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

SouthSide Johnny

February 06, 2014, 07:38:42 am #54 Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:06:29 am by SSJ
Quote from: Oklahawg on February 05, 2014, 09:18:19 pm
I don't get why you are posting on hogville instead of finding a public transit bus under which you'll lie down for a quick departure from your miserable, pathetic existence.

Either you is, or you ain't, but I'm betting your fandom is a rather horrible thing.

If you could ever pull your head out of your bunghole and look at the real world ie. reality, your pathetic little miserable world be a lot better,  that's hard I know being a Hog fan in Okieville, you don't have to drink the aid, bottled is better. My fandom is quite well in my box high above where I've been since day 1. Your a ass clown internet tough guy aren't you, real classy mod! You personal attacks don't bother me tough guy, try to stay on topic. If my reality thorn is too much for you try the ignore feature, you will sleep better.....
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

three hog night

Quote from: SSJ on February 06, 2014, 07:38:42 am
If you could ever pull your head out of your bunghole and look at the real world ie. reality, your pathetic little miserable world be a lot better,  that's hard I know being a Hog fan in Okieville, you don't have to drink the aid, bottled is better. My fandom is quite well in my box high above where I've been since day 1. Your a ass clown internet tough guy aren't you, real classy mod! You personal attacks don't bother me tough guy, try to stay on topic. If my reality thorn is too much for you try the ignore feature, you will sleep better.....

I have a question for you and the other Haters- Are you bitching about the class because HDN and Petrino were bringing in top 15 classes sprinkled with a few top 5 classes, BUT that dang Bielema let this class slip down to #30? ??    I can't wait to hear your response...this is going to be interesting....

Do I think this is the BEST UofA class in the modern history?  No.  This class was a departure from Petrino and HDN in that the bottom of the class is MUCH better.  This class is all 4* and 3* so the average is higher than HDN or Petrino yet there is lack of 5* and more 4*. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawg Life on February 05, 2014, 10:32:32 pm
Also, take into consideration that between 10-13 we had 28 players that left or transferred.. That's a whole recruiting class. When people talk about the CBP recruiting many leave that part out.

1.  In Petrino's last four classes we signed (according to Scout) the following numbers of players:

2009  31
2010  26
2011  32
2012  26

That's 115 players.  The NCAA limit is 85 on scholarship at any given time.  What do you suppose we should have done about the other 30?

2.  What is the TOTAL number of 3 star and 4 star players nationwide in 2013 as opposed to previous years?  Are more players being evaluated than before?

According to Scout, our 2014 class comes in at #33 nationally.  We have 5 4-stars and 15 3-stars among our 24 signees.  Our average star rating is 3.04. 

In 2008, Missouri had the #31 class with one fewer signee (23).  They had 4 4-stars and 12 3-stars (no 5-stars).  Their average star rating was 2.87.

They had fewer 4-stars, fewer 3-stars, fewer signees, and a lower average star rating...and yet they finished two spots above where we finished this year.  What does that tell you about whether or not there may be more total players with higher star ratings today as opposed to years ago?

three hog night

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 06, 2014, 08:44:22 am
1.  In Petrino's last four classes we signed (according to Scout) the following numbers of players:

2009  31
2010  26
2011  32
2012  26

That's 115 players.  The NCAA limit is 85 on scholarship at any given time.  What do you suppose we should have done about the other 30?

2.  What is the TOTAL number of 3 star and 4 star players nationwide in 2013 as opposed to previous years?  Are more players being evaluated than before?

According to Scout, our 2014 class comes in at #33 nationally.  We have 5 4-stars and 15 3-stars among our 24 signees.  Our average star rating is 3.04. 

In 2008, Missouri had the #31 class with one fewer signee (23).  They had 4 4-stars and 12 3-stars (no 5-stars).  Their average star rating was 2.87.

They had fewer 4-stars, fewer 3-stars, fewer signees, and a lower average star rating...and yet they finished two spots above where we finished this year.  What does that tell you about whether or not there may be more total players with higher star ratings today as opposed to years ago?

You posted gibberish with questions yet no real answers, so I have a question for you and the other Haters- Are you bitching about the class because HDN and Petrino were bringing in top 15 classes sprinkled with a few top 5 classes, BUT that dang Bielema let this class slip down to #30? ??   

EastexHawg

Quote from: three hog night on February 06, 2014, 09:00:24 am
You posted gibberish with questions yet no real answers   

You mistake facts for gibberish.  If you were as smart as you apparently think you are the questions I asked would lead you to some obvious answers.

three hog night

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 06, 2014, 09:10:18 am
You mistake facts for gibberish.  If you were as smart as you apparently think you are the questions I asked would lead you to some obvious answers.

You have been quite petty for a long time.  I posted FACTS from ESPN and I stayed with the facts.   You took different "facts" and then created HYPOTHETICAL scenarios that are unfounded.  You won't even deal with the question about Petrino's recruiting, but you can't take your hands off your statue of Petrino long enough to type a response.

I am being realistic in regards to Petrino's recruiting and the HOLE it left in our program.  HDN and Petrino were NOT bringing in top 15 classes sprinkled with a few top 5 classes, BUT the HATERS are saying Bielema is terrible for a #30 class.   Petrino and HDN had many classes ranked worse than 30.  Petrino aint coming back....Get over it

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 05, 2014, 06:08:29 pm
This is the second-best all-around class in school history (at least since these sites started keeping rankings).

The 247 Ranking was .857 and the Scout average was 3.04 stars. This class certainly doesn't have as much star power as the last one or the 2008 one, but it has all-around contributors.

as always it should be remembered this is arkansas and it is relative. we are 11th in a 14 team conference. stars do matter. just ask saban

three hog night

Quote from: avatar on February 06, 2014, 09:17:23 am
as always it should be remembered this is arkansas and it is relative. we are 11th in a 14 team conference. stars do matter. just ask saban

Did you feel the same about Petrino and HDN?   HDN and Petrino were NOT bringing in top 15 classes sprinkled with a few top 5 classes, BUT the HATERS are saying Bielema is terrible for a #30 class.   Petrino and HDN had many classes ranked worse than 30.   

Hog Fan...DOH!

Compare Vanderbilt's recruiting over the past 5 years to Tennessee and Florida.

Clearly, team chemistry and player development are critical. 

My point being- you have to get enough players per class who can really play in the SEC.  Auburn, LSU and Bama seem to have a higher margin for error. But clearly, you can take a "lower ranked" class and win a bunch of SEC games.

EastexHawg

Quote from: three hog night on February 06, 2014, 09:14:24 am
You have been quite petty for a long time.  I posted FACTS from ESPN and I stayed with the facts.   You took different "facts" and then created HYPOTHETICAL scenarios that are unfounded.

The NCAA only allowing 85 on scholarship is a hypothetical?  I'll ask the question again.  We signed 115 players in the 2009-2012 classes.  We're only allowed to have 85 on scholarship at one time.  How were we supposed to keep all of them?

On of your cohorts posted that we lost 28 players in four years, as if we should all find that shocking.  I am merely pointing out that it would have been impossible under NCAA rules NOT to have some of them leave the program.

How many players have we seen leave since John L. Smith and Bielema have been in charge?  Bielema has pushed several players out the door, or at least suggested they find another place to play.  Due to scholarship restrictions it happens everywhere.  But don't let that get in the way of a good story.

It's also not a "different fact" that it took a class with fewer players, fewer four stars, fewer three stars, and a lower average star rating to achieve a higher ranking in 2008 than we received in 2014.  It's merely a fact that some of you are either overlooking or choosing to ignore.

I am pointing out the obvious flaw in the "this is the highest rated class we've ever had because our average star rating is higher" argument.  When there are more players rated than ever before, and therefore more total three and four star players in the population, it takes a higher average star rating to achieve the same ranking in relation to other classes around the conference and nation.

That's why an average star rating of 2.76 got us a #24 national class rank in 2008, but a 3.04 rating put us at #33 in 2014.  Everyone else is getting higher ranked players, on average, too.

jabohog

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 11:30:59 pm
Thank you Captain Obvious.  Yes you do come across as abad combination of arrogant and negative.  When has this disparity between us, Bama, LSU et al NOT been the case????   Do NOT act like we were at the same level as Bama, LSU, UGA, FL; yet all of the sudden we dropped!!!   

In fact we have always had a disparity in recruiting rankings all the way back to our SWC days; YET we won SWC championships and have gone to the SEC championship 3 times and almost a 4th in 2011....all with a consistently lower ranked recruiting class than SEC's historically entrenched elite.
While I see where your coming from and agree mostly with you, I have to say I don't think so on the "almost a 4th in 2011". I loved our 11 win season, but getting curb stomped by not only the two best teams in the west but in the country in a season where we only beat two teams with winning regular seasons doesn't seem to be even a little bit close to playing in a SECCG.

mitchforheisman

Quote from: SSJ on February 05, 2014, 07:33:26 pm
#11 in SEC and # 6 in SEC West

Lets take a look at Notre Dame. Their recruiting class rankings vs where they finish in the BCS Top 25 at the end of each season.

2013 Class - #3 Finished Unranked
2012 Class - #20 Finished as #1 (destroyed in the NC game)
2011 Class - #10 Finished Unranked
2010 Class - #14 Finished Unranked
2009 Class - #21 Finished as #23
2008 Class - #2 Finished Unranked
2007 Class - #8 Finished Unranked
2006 Class - #8 Finished as #11
2005 Class - #40 Finished as #6
2004 Class - #91 Finished Unranked
2003 Class - #12 Finished Unranked

After finishing with a #2 class in the country, as Juniors and as Seniors that class finished the season Unranked.

So you tell me, how much do the stars really matter? Or could it possibly be the talent of the coaching staff?

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: mitchforheisman on February 06, 2014, 10:06:38 am
Lets take a look at Notre Dame. Their recruiting class rankings vs where they finish in the BCS Top 25 at the end of each season.

2013 Class - #3 Finished Unranked
2012 Class - #20 Finished as #1 (destroyed in the NC game)
2011 Class - #10 Finished Unranked
2010 Class - #14 Finished Unranked
2009 Class - #21 Finished as #23
2008 Class - #2 Finished Unranked
2007 Class - #8 Finished Unranked
2006 Class - #8 Finished as #11
2005 Class - #40 Finished as #6
2004 Class - #91 Finished Unranked
2003 Class - #12 Finished Unranked

After finishing with a #2 class in the country, as Juniors and as Seniors that class finished the season Unranked.

So you tell me, how much do the stars really matter? Or could it possibly be the talent of the coaching staff?

I agree with you that coaching plays a big role but I don't think your numbers support your argument the way you think they do.

I just checked back and in 2008 ND had the #2 recruiting class.

They played for the NC in 2013 after their 2012 season one in which most of their 2008 signing class would be upperclassman and major contributors.

So actually your numbers support the merit of a high ranked class even though you thought they didn't.

Sorry.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Honest question: are there fewer 2 stars these days?  It seems to me that 247 in particular will quickly eval a player once a bcs school offers and usually they get a 3 star afterwards.

three hog night

Quote from: jabohog on February 06, 2014, 09:58:46 am
While I see where your coming from and agree mostly with you, I have to say I don't think so on the "almost a 4th in 2011". I loved our 11 win season, but getting curb stomped by not only the two best teams in the west but in the country in a season where we only beat two teams with winning regular seasons doesn't seem to be even a little bit close to playing in a SECCG.

I should have said the 2010 season, which is the one where we went to the BCS Sugar Bowl and finished #5 in the final poll.

mitchforheisman

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 06, 2014, 10:20:41 am
I agree with you that coaching plays a big role but I don't think your numbers support your argument the way you think they do.

I just checked back and in 2008 ND had the #2 recruiting class.

They played for the NC in 2013 after their 2012 season one in which most of their 2008 signing class would be upperclassman and major contributors.

So actually your numbers support the merit of a high ranked class even though you thought they didn't.

Sorry.

They finished 7 of the last 11 years unranked. Only twice were they ranked in the top 10. Despite having classes of #2, #3, #8, #8, and #10. 1 of their top 10 classes panned out OR their schedule was easy enough to get them to the NC game in which an SEC powerhouse dismantled them.

Newhopehog

Why do people use teams outside our conference for comparison. They don't matter, we play in the SEC and that is what matters. How many of you really think Coach B is going to outcoach Saban, then add in Saban's 5/4 stars  vs our mostly 3 stars, who comes out ahead...

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: mitchforheisman on February 06, 2014, 10:46:02 am
They finished 7 of the last 11 years unranked. Only twice were they ranked in the top 10. Despite having classes of #2, #3, #8, #8, and #10. 1 of their top 10 classes panned out OR their schedule was easy enough to get them to the NC game in which an SEC powerhouse dismantled them.

Not busting your balls man you singled out their #2 ranked class and I was pointing out that's not a great argument.

Your overall point is well taken about coaching and another example is Texas and Mack.

However, you can find outliers in almost anything and as I've said before those are exceptions and not the rule.

Recruiting is a numbers and percentages game and if all things are the same a higher ranked team is almost always gonna have a higher percentage success rate than one that is significantly lower.

Of course a completely inept coach can make a highly talented team look mediocre and vice versa but its just like gambling you go with the higher percentage odds if you have the option.

Unfortunately at Arkansas we haven't had that option so we have to go a different route and develop our players.

And as I've also said whether Coach B can do that at an efficient rate in the SEC remains to be seen but I'm optimistic and hopeful he can.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 10:37:27 pm
Yes the Petrino crowd leaves out a LOT of details.  It is amazing how bad they want CBB to fail, and absolutely hate Jeff Long.  I am not a Jeff Long fan, but he is not the antichrist they make him out to be.  It is insane how bad the Petrino have become tonight.  This signing class required defending from the Petrino lovers; that exposed data from trusted sources like ESPN that proved how it was better or DIFFERENT than BP's classes. 

Yes.   Yes Jeff Long IS the Antichrist.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 05, 2014, 06:17:38 pm
The lines we're signing are going to keep us in every game we play.

This is a major, major improvement! !
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Nipsey Mussle

This thread starts with positive thoughts regarding our class and the bright future of the program. It quickly derails into a discussion about Petrino and stars mattering or not.

Just let it go. Petrino is gone and your thoughts and feelings about him are now moot. Move on, and let's all hope for the best out of BB and our players this season.

Btw, I think the poster above had a good question, are there less 2 stars these days?

seasonhog

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 06:14:46 pm
We didn't have ONE player ranked as a 2 star on this class, but 2011 had 14 players ranked 2 stars or UNRANKED.   That says a lot about our talent issues.  If 2015 plays out like it should, we should have 3 solid classes in a row. How many 2 stars or worse were signed in each class and this tells you why we are in trouble.  Our Senior and Junior classes are dominated by the 2010 to 2012 classes. 
2014   0
2013  1
2012  6
2011  14
2010  8

Over a 3 year period we signed 28 players that were 2 star or worse and that is what comprises the upper classmen a program should have.

Do we have any 2 stars recruits with Rival ?

I hear there was a article on our recruited class in USA TODAY....sport section, have you seen that ?

blu

Quote from: goodguytex on February 05, 2014, 07:57:25 pm
I'll put it this way.... What would we rather have? A team like Florida where they get the big recruiting classes and a bunch of four and five stars but apparently can't coach worth a flip, or be like Michigan state, who don't get the great recruiting classes but through coaching keep churning out consistent winners through coaching up the talent they get? Give me what Michigan state has.

I honestly don't know if we have that with this coaching staff, but I do think they deserve another year or two where we can know for sure.

Well said agree whole-heartedly. +1
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

goodguytex

Quote from: blu on February 07, 2014, 04:59:31 am
Well said agree whole-heartedly. +1
Thanks. +1 to you too. I have been accused of being a big Bielema koolaid drinker by some of those that have wanted him gone since day 1. I'm actually not a koolaid drinker. I'm patiently waiting to see if Bielema can do what he says he can.

And as much damage as two or three recruiting classes did in seeing a great deal of the talent not work out, leave or just suck, I'm willing to give Bielema at least another year, maybe two. I do expect steady improvement.

From year one to year two of Petrino, we saw Arkansas go from 5-7 to 8-5. If i recall correctly. I expect a three game improvement for Bielema in wins. Anything less and I will believe changes need to be made somewhere, either in staff, or play calling, approach or something.

Dirty

footballfan

Quote from: three hog night on February 06, 2014, 10:27:28 am
I should have said the 2010 season, which is the one where we went to the BCS Sugar Bowl and finished #5 in the final poll.

No we finished OUTSIDE the top 10 in 2010 after we lost the sugar bowl (11 or 12 depending on the poll I think). We finished #5 in 2011 but got curb stomped by Alabama and LSU. How can so called fans not remember results from just three years ago?

And fwiw, I agree with the poster who said we didint almost in 2011. When you fi ish third and the top 2 teams beat your tail by a combined 48 points, thats NOT  "almost going to the championship."

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Dirty on February 07, 2014, 06:30:50 am
Don't ask Kramer that!

If you're gonna call me out please take the time to read all my posts so you don't look stupid.

My post at the top of this page specifically stated the thing I was most excited about was the lineman we are signing.

I also said this is a solid class but leaves some room for improvement.

Try again but next time try harder.

Dirty

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 07, 2014, 08:43:57 am
If you're gonna call me out please take the time to read all my posts so you don't look stupid.

My post at the top of this page specifically stated the thing I was most excited about was the lineman we are signing.

I also said this is a solid class but leaves some room for improvement.

Try again but next time try harder.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.  Please except my apology. 

DeltaBoy

I expect BB to coach them up just like he did at Whiskey.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Dirty on February 07, 2014, 08:49:42 am
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.  Please except my apology.

You broke my heart!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

3kgthog

If you like BP, you don't have to defend his classes. Back to back 10 win seasons says it all. He won ugly and sometimes pretty with lesser players. That's the bottom line whether you love him or hate him.

Do I think BB will ever have back to back 10 win seasons here? No, never. Not against this improved SEC and not with classes rated 20-30. Many of you overrate his assistants when in reality only one has proven himself so far. You aren't going to get the super duper coaching up you are hoping for. With the help of a cupcake non-conference schedule and favorable SEC slate BB might top out at 9 wins. I'd love for him to win more than that because I love my team, but I just don't see it happening based on BB's history against the best teams in his former weaker conference. Go check his record against OSU, PSU, MSU, and UM if you need stats for proof. The road record against those teams is the worst part.

footballfan

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 07, 2014, 09:42:33 am
If you like BP, you don't have to defend his classes. Back to back 10 win seasons says it all. He won ugly and sometimes pretty with lesser players. That's the bottom line whether you love him or hate him.

Do I think BB will ever have back to back 10 win seasons here? No, never. Not against this improved SEC and not with classes rated 20-30. Many of you overrate his assistants when in reality only one has proven himself so far. You aren't going to get the super duper coaching up you are hoping for. With the help of a cupcake non-conference schedule and favorable SEC slate BB might top out at 9 wins. I'd love for him to win more than that because I love my team, but I just don't see it happening based on BB's history against the best teams in his former weaker conference. Go check his record against OSU, PSU, MSU, and UM if you need stats for proof. The road record against those teams is the worst part.

They will ignore his four losses against Ohio state while trumpeting his one win.

Dirty

Quote from: footballfan on February 07, 2014, 09:45:31 am
They will ignore his four losses against Ohio state while trumpeting his one win.
BP handled Alabama...........

footballfan

Quote from: Dirty on February 07, 2014, 09:57:46 am
BP handled Alabama...........

No he didn't.  But Gus did, didn't he? I'm not saying get Gus.  But they can be beat.

opineonswine

Quote from: footballfan on February 07, 2014, 09:45:31 am

Well interestingly, Petrino couldn't touch Alabama, and the "big" season some trumpet for Petrino he lost to Ohio State who had earlier lost to....yes...BB and Wisconsin.  And Ohio State had lost umpteen in a row to SEC teams.  I'm sure they were relieved they finally got Arkansas and Petrino.

We have a crappy series record vs. Texas too. 

So your point is.....????

footballfan

Quote from: opineonswine on February 07, 2014, 10:04:28 am
Well interestingly, Petrino couldn't touch Alabama, and the "big" season some trumpet for Petrino he lost to Ohio State who had earlier lost to....yes...BB and Wisconsin.  And Ohio State had lost umpteen in a row to SEC teams.  I'm sure they were relieved they finally got Arkansas and Petrino.

y

So your answer is to replace a guy who couldn't beat Alabama with one who couldn't beat Ohio state?

wachhog

Quote from: three hog night on February 06, 2014, 08:33:14 am
I have a question for you and the other Haters- Are you bitching about the class because HDN and Petrino were bringing in top 15 classes sprinkled with a few top 5 classes, BUT that dang Bielema let this class slip down to #30? ??    I can't wait to hear your response...this is going to be interesting....

Do I think this is the BEST UofA class in the modern history?  No.  This class was a departure from Petrino and HDN in that the bottom of the class is MUCH better.  This class is all 4* and 3* so the average is higher than HDN or Petrino yet there is lack of 5* and more 4*. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with this class. I am pleased with this class.  I just don't think many coaches out there can have anything but mediocre won-loss records with classes that consistently rank near the bottom of their conference.  I think we had one who could.  Unfortunate, he is no longer here and we did not replace him with someone similar.  I think that is unfortunate, not the calibre of this recruiting class.

Dirty

Quote from: footballfan on February 07, 2014, 10:00:04 am
No he didn't.  But Gus did, didn't he? I'm not saying get Gus.  But they can be beat.

You didn't get it! 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: opineonswine on February 07, 2014, 10:04:28 am

Recruit more Texas players so they can't play against us.
This is my non-signature signature.

GuvHog

Quote from: footballfan on February 07, 2014, 08:04:31 am

No we finished OUTSIDE the top 10 in 2010 after we lost the sugar bowl (11 or 12 depending on the poll I think). We finished #5 in 2011 but got curb stomped by Alabama and LSU. How can so called fans not remember results from just three years ago?

And fwiw, I agree with the poster who said we didint almost in 2011. When you fi ish third and the top 2 teams beat your tail by a combined 48 points, thats NOT  "almost going to the championship."

Correct. the Hogs finished #5 in the nation in 2011 after beating Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

three hog night

Quote from: footballfan on February 07, 2014, 08:04:31 am

I apologize for my error in mixing the years and such.   We almost went to the SEC championship in 2010...not 2011 as you detailed. 

lumphog

Quote from: goodguytex on February 05, 2014, 07:57:25 pm
I'll put it this way.... What would we rather have? A team like Florida where they get the big recruiting classes and a bunch of four and five stars but apparently can't coach worth a flip, or be like Michigan state, who don't get the great recruiting classes but through coaching keep churning out consistent winners through coaching up the talent they get? Give me what Michigan state has.

I honestly don't know if we have that with this coaching staff, but I do think they deserve another year or two where we can know for sure.
You mean like Wisconsin did

footballfan

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 11:30:59 pm
Thank you Captain Obvious.  Yes you do come across as abad combination of arrogant and negative.  When has this disparity between us, Bama, LSU et al NOT been the case????   Do NOT act like we were at the same level as Bama, LSU, UGA, FL; yet all of the sudden we dropped!!!   

In fact we have always had a disparity in recruiting rankings all the way back to our SWC days; YET we won SWC championships and have gone to the SEC championship 3 times and almost a 4th in 2011....all with a consistently lower ranked recruiting class than SEC's historically entrenched elite.

Let's look at when we've gone to the SEC title game on our own merits, shall we?

1995: Only one team in the West even finished ranked, Alabama at #20. We went and it was the second worst blowout in SEC championship game history.

2002: We went only because Bama was on probation. Third worst blowout in SEC championship game history.

2006: Probably the only year we should actually be proud of. In that year, we still lost four games, including embarrassing blowouts to USC. Finished ranked #15.

People, we've had ONE top ten finish in THIRTY YERARS? You really don't think recruiting has something to do with that?

three hog night

Quote from: footballfan on February 08, 2014, 01:17:13 pm
Let's look at when we've gone to the SEC title game on our own merits, shall we?

1995: Only one team in the West even finished ranked, Alabama at #20. We went and it was the second worst blowout in SEC championship game history.

2002: We went only because Bama was on probation. Third worst blowout in SEC championship game history.

2006: Probably the only year we should actually be proud of. In that year, we still lost four games, including embarrassing blowouts to USC. Finished ranked #15.

People, we've had ONE top ten finish in THIRTY YERARS? You really don't think recruiting has something to do with that?

Let me ask you something- did we play SEC teams when we won the division to make it to the 3 SECCG?   Do you always look for the negative?   Where in the hell do you think I said recruiting doesn't matter?   What I said is we won SWC championships and have gone to the SEC championship 3 times all with a consistently lower ranked recruiting class than SEC's historically entrenched elite.   Do I say it doesn't matter?   No.  What I did say is that we have traditionally sign this type of class, yet we still find a way to win.  My concern is fans that think we should have a top 15 class after this year, because Tenn did it....so what.   Tenn did not have 3 years of declining recruits, Harleygate, Smile and a 3-9 season.