Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Per Scout and 247 Recruiting...

Started by Fayettechill14, February 05, 2014, 06:08:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

This is the second-best all-around class in school history (at least since these sites started keeping rankings).

The 247 Ranking was .857 and the Scout average was 3.04 stars. This class certainly doesn't have as much star power as the last one or the 2008 one, but it has all-around contributors.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Let's hope they contribute to 10-2 instead of 2-10. 

three hog night

We didn't have ONE player ranked as a 2 star on this class, but 2011 had 14 players ranked 2 stars or UNRANKED.   That says a lot about our talent issues.  If 2015 plays out like it should, we should have 3 solid classes in a row. How many 2 stars or worse were signed in each class and this tells you why we are in trouble.  Our Senior and Junior classes are dominated by the 2010 to 2012 classes. 
2014   0
2013  1
2012  6
2011  14
2010  8

Over a 3 year period we signed 28 players that were 2 star or worse and that is what comprises the upper classmen a program should have.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ArkansasI

The lines we're signing are going to keep us in every game we play.

Poker_hog

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

three hog night

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 05, 2014, 06:17:38 pm

You nailed it perfectly.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 06:14:46 pm
We didn't have ONE player ranked as a 2 star on this class, but 2011 had 14 players ranked 2 stars or UNRANKED.   That says a lot about our talent issues.  If 2015 plays out like it should, we should have 3 solid classes in a row. How many 2 stars or worse were signed in each class and this tells you why we are in trouble.  Our Senior and Junior classes are dominated by the 2010 to 2012 classes. 
2014   0
2013  1
2012  6
2011  14
2010  8

Over a 3 year period we signed 28 players that were 2 star or worse and that is what comprises the upper classmen a program should have.
So you're saying stars do matter

OhGreatOne

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 05, 2014, 06:17:38 pm

Right now, OL moreso than DL....but we shall see.
There is a hidden forum on Hogville.
Most of the intelligent conversation happens there.
Ask about it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 05, 2014, 06:08:29 pm
This is the second-best all-around class in school history (at least since these sites started keeping rankings).

The 247 Ranking was .857 and the Scout average was 3.04 stars. This class certainly doesn't have as much star power as the last one or the 2008 one, but it has all-around contributors.

I love this post—+1!

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on February 05, 2014, 06:33:45 pm

Yes, yes I want to know the answer to this as well.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Fayettechill14

WashUhog6

I feel like everyone has magically forgotten what the 2008 class was actually ranked before it ever stepped on campus. On Rivals it was ranked as #36 and had 6 four stars, 2 of which (Matt Hall, De'Anthony Curtis) never contributed. Scout ranked it as #24 with only 3 four stars. Yet this class is nearly universally considered the reason why we won so much in 2010-2011--rightly so, but you would have never guessed that just looking at the rankings.

texas tush hog

They do, but not as much as most Hogville posters who have never coached think.

ArkansasI

Quote from: twistitup on February 05, 2014, 06:58:33 pm
Did you just type that?
I'm not following you.

I firmly believe the linemen we are bringing in - on both sides - will keep us in every game.  Every.  Game.

Character.  Talent.  These are football players like I have not seen on the Hill since the 70s.  We've had a lot of good players in that time, but collectively we are turning a corner.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 05, 2014, 06:59:57 pm
One word: perspective.

Oh I agree there are just some that want to say or insinuate that stars don't matter then use stars to support their argument when it's convenient.

I personally do think that rankings and stars have their place but at the same time realize that those "stars" have to be coached as well.

I realize that a coach can win with lesser ranked classes but IMO it presents a greater challenge than one that is highly ranked and oozing talent.

A highly talented team can help mask the inadequacies of a coach to a greater degree than a lesser talented team can. 

It remains to be seen if Coach B is a guy that can bridge the gap through his coaching to allow us to be competitive against what are likely more talented teams.

I'm not saying he can't, and I'm cautiously optimistic he can, it's just that IMO his room for error is much lower than his counterparts due to the lower level of talent he finds himself surrounded with as opposed to the likes of AL, LSU, ATM, etc.

SouthSide Johnny

Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

goodguytex

I'll put it this way.... What would we rather have? A team like Florida where they get the big recruiting classes and a bunch of four and five stars but apparently can't coach worth a flip, or be like Michigan state, who don't get the great recruiting classes but through coaching keep churning out consistent winners through coaching up the talent they get? Give me what Michigan state has.

I honestly don't know if we have that with this coaching staff, but I do think they deserve another year or two where we can know for sure.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Stole my 247 post!!  >:( haha just messing with ya. I'm TBurchfield over there

three hog night

Did I frikkin stutter?  read the post for yourself.... again....it's crystal

Fayettechill14

Quote from: SSJ on February 05, 2014, 07:33:26 pm
#11 in SEC and # 6 in SEC West

Refer to my previous post. That bolded word.

three hog night

Quote from: SSJ on February 05, 2014, 07:33:26 pm
#11 in SEC and # 6 in SEC West

After the 2011 season I worried about our SEC ranking, but I won't this year after Harley-gate, John L Smith, and 3-9 last year.  Our 2015 class is ranked #7 in the nation but only 5th in the SEC.  Keep things in perspective- the SEC is over the top on recruiting.  We have NEVER had a top 5 class, yet we have gone to the SEC championship game 3 times, and almost went again in 2011.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 05, 2014, 08:12:50 pm
Refer to my previous post. That bolded word.

Well Duh, refer to my previous post that is Proper Perspective...

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 08:13:26 pm
After the 2011 season I worried about our SEC ranking, but I won't this year after Harley-gate, John L Smith, and 3-9 last year.  Our 2015 class is ranked #7 in the nation but only 5th in the SEC.  Keep things in perspective- the SEC is over the top on recruiting.  We have NEVER had a top 5 class, yet we have gone to the SEC championship game 3 times, and almost went again in 2011.

You honestly believe that at the End of 2015 we will be any where near #7? # times 2 a blow out and 1 should have won, 2011 Bama, LSU lost both by wide margins and was 3rd. ?

Fayettechill14

Quote from: SSJ on February 05, 2014, 08:16:37 pm
Well Duh, refer to my previous post that is Proper Perspective...

The "perspective" that we all need is that while recruiting rankings are fairly accurate, they are not law and a lot of other factors determine how good players are. So posting rankings as a response to a post about having perspective about rankings is not proving anything...

TX HOG

whats the difference in the composite star ranking and regular star ranking on 247?

three hog night

Quote from: SSJ on February 05, 2014, 08:18:24 pm
You honestly believe that the End of 2015 we will be any where near #7?

How do you know what it is going to be?  What we do know is an independent party/recruiting tracker gave us this ranking at this point in time.   This is the second-best all-around class in school history (at least since these sites started keeping rankings).  The 247 Ranking was .857 and the Scout average was 3.04 stars. This class certainly doesn't have as much star power as the last one or the 2008 one, but it has all-around contributors.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 08:13:26 pm

Dude again with this stupid regurgitated post?!

Again we haven't been since 2006 and we've only been 3 times since 1992.

Auburn's been 5 times, LSU 5, and Alabama 8 times and they've all been more recently as well. Guess what else?

They all consistently get higher ranked classes than us but I guess that's just a coincidence.

Oh and that time we "almost" went again was with BP a guy you've openly showed disdain for but now want to use a season under his tutelage to support your argument.

Good job.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 05, 2014, 08:20:48 pm
The "perspective" that we all need is that while recruiting rankings are fairly accurate, they are not law and a lot of other factors determine how good players are. So posting rankings as a response to a post about having perspective about rankings is not proving anything...

Really, the history is fact since joining the SEC, your rebuttal makes No sense what so ever!

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 08:23:16 pm
How do you know what it is going to be?  What we do know is an independent party/recruiting tracker gave us this ranking at this point in time.   This is the second-best all-around class in school history (at least since these sites started keeping rankings).  The 247 Ranking was .857 and the Scout average was 3.04 stars. This class certainly doesn't have as much star power as the last one or the 2008 one, but it has all-around contributors.

Serious, let's drink the aid and put on the glasses, great for us, Reality is #11 in SEC and # 6 in SEC West. That's the competition we face each week and equal to better Coaches.

three hog night

Quote from: SSJ on February 05, 2014, 08:28:27 pm
Serious, let's drink the aid and put on the glasses, great for us, Reality is #11 in SEC and # 6 in SEC West. That's the competition we face each week and equal to better Coaches.

You can't deal with the FACT that this is the second-best all-around class in school history (at least since these sites started keeping rankings).  The 247 Ranking was .857 and the Scout average was 3.04 stars.  You can't deal with the fact of how many 2 stars or worse were signed in each class and this tells you why we are in trouble.  Our Senior and Junior classes are dominated by the 2010 to 2012 classes and that is the back bone of your program.
2014   0
2013  1
2012  6
2011  14
2010  8

Over a 3 year period we signed 28 players that were 2 star or worse.  28.....the numbers don't lie...they are right there for you to see on ESPN.   Uh...we have only signed ONE player at 2 stars or less in the last 2 classes COMBINED.   Sadly, you don't like those facts; because you want to be negative.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 08:32:13 pm
You can't deal with the FACT that this is the second-best all-around class in school history (at least since these sites started keeping rankings).  The 247 Ranking was .857 and the Scout average was 3.04 stars.  You can't deal with the fact of how many 2 stars or worse were signed in each class and this tells you why we are in trouble.  Our Senior and Junior classes are dominated by the 2010 to 2012 classes and that is the back bone of your program.
2014   0
2013  1
2012  6
2011  14
2010  8

Over a 3 year period we signed 28 players that were 2 star or worse.  28.....the numbers don't lie...they are right there for you to see on ESPN.   Uh...we have only signed ONE player at 2 stars or less in the last 2 classes COMBINED.   Sadly, you don't like those facts; because you want to be negative.

Fact is your a simpleton, #11 in SEC and # 6 in SEC West, numbers don't lie, negative no, facing reality yes..

three hog night

Quote from: SSJ on February 05, 2014, 08:42:05 pm
Fact is your a simpleton, #11 in SEC and # 6 in SEC West, numbers don't lie, negative no, facing reality yes..

You have a high opinion of yourself that appears to be unfounded, but that is ok since I don't have to live ya.  You choose to stick with your ranking and enjoy your miserable self...by yourself....

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 08:46:49 pm
You have a high opinion of yourself that appears to be unfounded, but that is ok since I don't have to live ya.  You choose to stick with your ranking and enjoy your miserable self...by yourself....

Geez your hopeless, live in your delusion Truth hurts you doesn't it,  #11 in SEC and # 6 in SEC West not my ranking but Your quoted sources.

Oklahawg

Quote from: SSJ on February 05, 2014, 08:28:27 pm

I don't get why you are posting on hogville instead of finding a public transit bus under which you'll lie down for a quick departure from your miserable, pathetic existence.

Either you is, or you ain't, but I'm betting your fandom is a rather horrible thing.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hawg Life

Quote from: SSJ on February 05, 2014, 08:42:05 pm

You're.. DUMMY!!

dirtdobber

Stars and rankings are nice to give people things to talk about around the water cooler and on websites.  The reality is you never know until 1-3 years down the road.  You have to have a combination of talent, desire and player development.  Bottom line is that I trust this coaching staff and their evaluations.  They have a proven track record of developing talent regardless of the recruits' initial star rankings.

three hog night

Quote from: SSJ on February 05, 2014, 08:51:02 pm
Geez your hopeless, live in your delusion Truth hurts you doesn't it,  #11 in SEC and # 6 in SEC West not my ranking but Your quoted sources.

2014   0
2013  1
2012  6
2011  14
2010  8

three hog night

Ok the reality is that miserable people will look for miserable support and negativity.   You can take any set of data and find 2-3 positions of support.   I choose to look at the progress in spite of the Motorcycle Wreck, John L Smith debacle and last year's 3-9 campaign.   I am not going to be unrealistic and expect us to be in the top half of the SEC this year. 

I am more concerned about if WE improved against our PAST.  Over a 3 year period we signed 28 players that were 2 star or worse.  28.....the numbers don't lie...they are right there for you to see on ESPN.   We have only signed ONE player at 2 stars or less in the last 2 classes COMBINED.   You choose your path; nobody held a gun to your head and asked you to be a jerk.

Hawg Life

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 10:19:51 pm
2014   0
2013  1
2012  6
2011  14
2010  8

Also, take into consideration that between 10-13 we had 28 players that left or transferred.. That's a whole recruiting class. When people talk about the CBP recruiting many leave that part out.

three hog night

Quote from: Hawg Life on February 05, 2014, 10:32:32 pm
Also, take into consideration that between 10-13 we had 28 players that left or transferred.. That's a whole recruiting class. When people talk about the CBP recruiting many leave that part out.

Yes the Petrino crowd leaves out a LOT of details.  It is amazing how bad they want CBB to fail, and absolutely hate Jeff Long.  I am not a Jeff Long fan, but he is not the antichrist they make him out to be.  It is insane how bad the Petrino have become tonight.  This signing class required defending from the Petrino lovers; that exposed data from trusted sources like ESPN that proved how it was better or DIFFERENT than BP's classes. 

bobcat ball

Quote from: Hawg Life on February 05, 2014, 10:32:32 pm

The amount of players who left from those last few classes has freakin killed us for sure. No matter the stars if they are not around to contribute really doesn't matter what they were rated does it?

WOO PIG

three hog night

Quote from: bobcat ball on February 05, 2014, 10:38:56 pm
The amount of players who left from those last few classes has freakin killed us for sure. No matter the stars if they are not around to contribute really doesn't matter what they were rated does it?

You are correct.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 10:37:27 pm
Yes the Petrino crowd leaves out a LOT of details.  It is amazing how bad they want CBB to fail, and absolutely hate Jeff Long.  I am not a Jeff Long fan, but he is not the antichrist they make him out to be.  It is insane how bad the Petrino have become tonight.  This signing class required defending from the Petrino lovers; that exposed data from trusted sources like ESPN that proved how it was better or DIFFERENT than BP's classes.

Who is this Petrino crowd you speak of?

You regurgitate the same tired posts over and over and over again and act like you've done something.

I'm not a BP or a BB person I'm a hog fan and as such support BB and hope he succeeds. I'm not totally down on this class and think it's decently solid for the most part considering everything.

The difference between me and you though is I don't have an agenda either way. I'm not pumping sunshine nor trying to be negative, although sometimes it admittedly comes off that way. I'm trying to be realistic about our class, our team, and where we fit in our conference.

Do I think we are trending better? Yes
Do I think the numbers you mentioned have some credence? Yes

But you can't just take your numbers and spin them without acknowledging the other less flattering ones. So to add some context here's some more numbers for you to try on for size.

While yes we have no two stars according to 247 we have 18 3 star commits which make up the majority of our class.

The problem is bama has 15 4 star commits, LSU has 12 4 star commits, and ATM and Auburn have 11 4 star commits. That's of course not including the 5 star commits those teams have as well of which we have none.

So while I'm happy with our trend to a certain degree, we are still light years away from our direct competition whom have almost as many 4 stars as we have 3 stars in addition to several 5 stars.

Moral of the story?

We are trending in the right direction, but so is our competition unfortunately at a much faster pace.

three hog night

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 05, 2014, 11:20:20 pm

You regurgitate the same tired posts over and over and over again and act like you've done something.

I'm not a BP or a BB person I'm a hog fan and as such support BB and hope he succeeds. I'm not totally down on this class and think it's decently solid for the most part considering everything.

The difference between me and you though is I don't have an agenda either way. I'm not pumping sunshine nor trying to be negative, although sometimes it admittedly comes off that way. I'm trying to be realistic about our class, our team, and where we fit in our conference.

But you can't just take your numbers and spin them without acknowledging the other less flattering ones. So to add some context here's some more numbers for you to try on for size.

While yes we have no two stars according to 247 we have 18 3 star commits which make up the majority of our class.

The problem is bama has 15 4 star commits, LSU has 12 4 star commits, and ATM and Auburn have 11 4 star commits. That's of course not including the 5 star commits those teams have as well of which we have none.

So while I'm happy with our trend to a certain degree, we are still light years away from our direct competition whom have almost as many 4 stars as we have 3 stars in addition to several 5 stars.

Moral of the story?

We are trending in the right direction, but so is our competition unfortunately at a much faster pace.

Thank you Captain Obvious.  Yes you do come across as abad combination of arrogant and negative.  When has this disparity between us, Bama, LSU et al NOT been the case????   Do NOT act like we were at the same level as Bama, LSU, UGA, FL; yet all of the sudden we dropped!!!   

In fact we have always had a disparity in recruiting rankings all the way back to our SWC days; YET we won SWC championships and have gone to the SEC championship 3 times and almost a 4th in 2011....all with a consistently lower ranked recruiting class than SEC's historically entrenched elite.

hambone

On 247, last seasons class finished ranked 23rd. This season's is ranked 30th.

Just saying that like much of the other "info" supplied by the OP, it isn't completely accurate and biased to the point of being laughable.

Perspective, the guys at 247 are pretty much the guys from Rivals 3 years ago. Petrino's classes AVERAGED a ranking of 30 from Rivals during his time here.

This year's class is right on the AVERAGE of Petrino recruiting, not some all time class at all.

As far as the .857 goes, that really doesn't matter when your peers also did better to the point that your "score" drops you below 7 of your peers from the previous year.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 05, 2014, 11:20:20 pm

Moral of the story?

Please tell me (your definition) the difference between a 5* & a 3* recruit.

redeye

According to Rivals, 2008 was one of our worse classes ever, which is clearly wrong.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 11:30:59 pm
Thank you Captain Obvious.  Yes you do come across as abad combination of arrogant and negative.  When has this disparity between us, Bama, LSU et al NOT been the case????   Do NOT act like we were at the same level as Bama, LSU, UGA, FL; yet all of the sudden we dropped!!!   

In fact we have always had a disparity in recruiting rankings all the way back to our SWC days; YET we won SWC championships and have gone to the SEC championship 3 times and almost a 4th in 2011....all with a consistently lower ranked recruiting class than SEC's historically entrenched elite.

I've already addressed your go to line of 3 SEC championship appearances of which we haven't been back since 2006 while bama, LSU, and auburn all have and also have more overall appearances as well since we've entered the league.

But I guess the fact they have constantly higher ranked classes has nothing to do with that.

I'm sorry I come off as arrogant and negative but you come off as a group think company man towing the company message.

I realize we've always struggled in head to head recruiting against our competition but that doesn't help our situation. I don't know what the solution is or that there is one but pardon me for not being over the moon that we didn't sign a 2 star when our direct in conference competition is filling their classes with 4 and 5 stars and we get out recruited by Kentucky.

The only thing at this point I will hold out hope for is that Coach B can coach up our guys that we got to make us competative against what will likely be more talented teams.

Only time will tell on that one but I'm sincerely rooting for him.