Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

As Unpopular an Opinion as it Is

Started by WilsonHog, February 05, 2014, 05:54:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

If you are waiting for the day when we are going to have a #5 recruiting class in the country, you are likely to die an unhappy man.

Might catch lightning in a bottle, I suppose, but classes like Alabama or LSU routinely pulls in? Not happening.

Deep appreciation to those young men who chose to be Razorbacks today.

:razorback:

weresoclose

Oliver

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 05, 2014, 05:54:58 pm
If you are waiting for the day when we are going to have a #5 recruiting class in the country, you are likely to die an unhappy man.

Might catch lightning in a bottle, I suppose, but classes like Alabama or LSU routinely pulls in? Not happening.

If they had recruiting rankings in the 1960's, do you think we would have pulled down a top 10 class?

Oklahawg

Good to read your words.

For a number of reasons.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WilsonHog

Quote from: Oliver on February 05, 2014, 05:57:55 pm
If they had recruiting rankings in the 1960's, do you think we would have pulled down a top 10 class?

No idea.

But I would be really skeptical of trying to draw any comparisons pre-1970.

Maybe even pre-1991.

The_Iceman

Much different dynamics back then.

three hog night

Our 2015 class is ranked #7 in the nation but only 5th in the SEC.  Keep things in perspective- the SEC is over the top on recruiting.  We have NEVER had a top 5 class, yet we have gone to the SEC championship game 3 times, and almost went again in 2011.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Oliver

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 05, 2014, 06:01:13 pm
No idea.

But I would be really skeptical of trying to draw any comparisons pre-1970.

Maybe even pre-1991.

Why?  Conference change and us not recruiting Texas as well?

MiHogsMi

Is a 10-15 too much to ask for?

All I read this summer is how great we were going to do recruiting with CBB and staff.  When we gave our opinions this summer that the recruits didn't seem to be coming in as expected, we were told to SHUT UP and it would all come together on NSD.  Well. NSD has come and gone and 12 in SEC and 29-30 nationally ain't what a whole bunch of us were hoping for. 
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

wachhog

I agree with everything you said.  Why is it again that you think we can out Bama Bama on the football field?  Playing their style of ball?

Oliver

Quote from: MiHogsMi on February 05, 2014, 06:06:50 pm

All I read this summer is how great we were going to do recruiting with CBB and staff.  When we gave our opinions this summer that the recruits didn't seem to be coming in as expected, we were told to SHUT UP and it would all come together on NSD.  Well. NSD has come and gone and 12 in SEC and 29-30 nationally ain't what a whole bunch of us were hoping for. 

Yeah, I'm along this line of thought.  The point I was hinting at is that we were obviously getting some top talent at one point in time in our history. 

I don't think many expect to out recruit Bama, LSU, Florida, etc year in and year out.  But I don't think it's too much to expect a top 10 class to be had once every three to four years. 

We've done it before, we can do it again.

GO

If ole Miss can pull in a 16th ranked class there is no excuse for us be sitting at #30 come this time next year. I would certainly expect to be top 25 each year.

LZH

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 06:03:31 pm
Our 2015 class is ranked #7 in the nation but only 5th in the SEC.  Keep things in perspective- the SEC is over the top on recruiting.  We have NEVER had a top 5 class, yet we have gone to the SEC championship game 3 times, and almost went again in 2011.

Now that's more like it.

LZH

Quote from: GO on February 05, 2014, 06:16:51 pm
If ole Miss can pull in a 16th ranked class there is no excuse for us be sitting at #30 come this time next year. I would certainly expect to be top 25 each year.

My thoughts exactly.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Oliver on February 05, 2014, 06:03:48 pm
Why?  Conference change and us not recruiting Texas as well?

Integration, scholarship reductions, conference change, not recruiting Texas as well.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Oliver on February 05, 2014, 06:10:43 pm
Yeah, I'm along this line of thought.  The point I was hinting at is that we were obviously getting some top talent at one point in time in our history. 

I don't think many expect to out recruit Bama, LSU, Florida, etc year in and year out.  But I don't think it's too much to expect a top 10 class to be had once every three to four years. 

Name a specific year we had a top 10 class or a specific decade we had 2 or three.  Don't get me wrong, we have had some good teams, but most of our best teams were actually over-achievers that started out expected to do less well.  Not the kinds of teams that come from highly ranked recruits.  The kind of guys that won big games for us were the guys like Teddy Barnes, and Roland Sales, not the no 1 recruits in the country.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

The_Iceman

Top 10?

Florida
Florida State
Bama
Auburn
LSU
Georgia
Texas
Texas a&m
Oklahoma
Ohio State
USC
Michigan
Clemson

Thats just to name a few.....

WilsonHog

Quote from: wachhog on February 05, 2014, 06:08:51 pm
I agree with everything you said.  Why is it again that you think we can out Bama Bama on the football field?  Playing their style of ball?

When did I ever say we could "out-Bama" Alabama?

Let me be clear on a few points.

I prefer the style of football Alabama and LSU play. Mix in some pass yes, but I'd rather see a 15-play touchdown drive on the ground than a three-play touchdown drive through the air. Just my personal preference. I also happen to enjoy watching triple option football.

If you were to ask me when I thought we would have as fine a football program as Alabama has, experience the success they have, my simple answer to you would be, "never." That doesn't mean we can't beat them occasionally, because we have. But replicate their body of work? Not going to happen, and if Alabama success is what it takes to make you happy, then frankly your best bet is to become a Crimson Tide fan.

I support Bret Bielema because he has had one year here. I would have supported any other permanent coach we hired for the same reason, until he did something off the field to embarrass the University of Arkansas. If it appears after three years that Bielema isn't the man for the job, I'll have no problem saying so.   

wupigsuey

Yes but it was 1988 when we last did. Back when we were consistently good. Winning cures all.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Steef

Yep.
Yep.
Aaaannnnndddd.....yep.

jkstock04

A realistic goal would be for us to be middle of the pack in the SEC recruiting wise. Maybe something like 6th-8th.

In normal years this would prob put us in the 12th-18th range on the national scale. I don't think that's too much to ask. I also think that would lend us the opportunity to not have to overachieve as much. Would be nice...guess one can only dream.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Southpointhog

This is garbage....tired of it.  After the season we had...we should be happy as hell!!

Quote from: MiHogsMi on February 05, 2014, 06:06:50 pm

Coondog Hog

Hell I just want to be #5 in the SEC
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 05, 2014, 06:21:20 pm
Integration, scholarship reductions, conference change, not recruiting Texas as well.

I am beginning to think half this site was asleep the last 30 years. It's like they think we have Florida/Texas talent at our disposal.

I am good friends with William Hampton. We discuss recruiting this time of the year; like everyone that is a fan. Will was a little recruited linebacker out of Forrest City. He was looking at Memphis, ASU, UAPB, Grambling, and a pathetic Ole Miss. When Frank saw him practice and then play, he got the offer. He sat in his coach's office with Coach Broyles, and was told this, "Here at Arkansas we take great pride in beating schools with the boys that Texas, Tennessee, and Oklahoma skip over." He added something else that Will remembers, and paraphrasing---even my best recruits only came because of relationships I have with their coach or parent or they were born to a family that were Razorback fans.

We were great in the past because our Head Coach could hire great assistants (Johnson, Switzer, Hatfield, Gibbs, Majors) that could recognize talent that the high profile schools did not recruit, and then coach them into greatness. The same must be true now as then. Nutt was too lazy/incompotent, Petrino too unrelational, Bielema is still yet to be determined. I believe based on his past that he is made of the same cloth that brought us to the peak of College Football all those years ago. 
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Rzrbckr

ifghog

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 05, 2014, 06:37:29 pm

I prefer the style of football Alabama and LSU play. Mix in some pass yes, but I'd rather see a 15-play touchdown drive on the ground than a three-play touchdown drive through the air. Just my personal preference. I also happen to enjoy watching triple option football.

If you were to ask me when I thought we would have as fine a football program as Alabama has, experience the success they have, my simple answer to you would be, "never." That doesn't mean we can't beat them occasionally, because we have. But replicate their body of work? Not going to happen, and if Alabama success is what it takes to make you happy, then frankly your best bet is to become a Crimson Tide fan.

I support Bret Bielema because he has had one year here. I would have supported any other permanent coach we hired for the same reason, until he did something off the field to embarrass the University of Arkansas. If it appears after three years that Bielema isn't the man for the job, I'll have no problem saying so.   
Wilson I couldn't agree more with u if I tried. +1 sir

DoctorSusscrofa

This is exactly right. Our recruiting base is too small to out-recruit Bama at the top end.  We can sometimes steal somebody from them.  We can sometimes recruit a teachable kid they didn't catch.  We can sometimes get outrageously lucky and match the right coach, the right lucky recruits and the right schedule.  But we won't out Bama Alabama regularly unless Bama screws up big time and it happens to coincide with the best years of our lives.

And of course, that's exactly what I dream about.  But I understand it's a dream and I don't put more importance on it than any nice dream. Instead, I hope we have a coach who finds kids that Bama and LSU didn't want and turns them into ambushers.  I'm happy with being good when we get a chance and being close any other time.  And for that we have to get 3 stars and 4 stars - which is what we did today.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Simple Swineman

Quote from: Coondog Hog on February 05, 2014, 06:52:04 pm
Hell I just want to be #5 in the SEC

I want that too. But am I expecting it? No way.

Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M all sit in the middle of the recruiting hotbed of America. You can arguably throw Tennessee and South Carolina in to that group. That's 8 teams I just mentioned that all have a huge geographical advantage over Arkansas and I don't think anybody would argue that.

If we ever get to #5 in SEC recruiting then that means we will have to finish ahead of 4 of those teams in the same year. I don't ever see that happening. Just my opinion. If that ever happens it will be a year unlike any other and most likely an historic year of Arkansas high school talent. And a class like that year after year would be virtually impossible.

lrcentral

We need to hit Texas with an all out marketing blitz. One would have to think that convincing a kid to move 5 hours from home (Dallas) would be easier than from 14 hours out (Florida).

WILL CLINTON

If you were to ask me when I thought we would have as fine a football program as Alabama has, experience the success they have, my simple answer to you would be, "never." That doesn't mean we can't beat them occasionally, because we have. But replicate their body of work? Not going to happen, and if Alabama success is what it takes to make you happy, then frankly your best bet is to become a Crimson Tide fan."

This was the best piece of advice I ever got, years ago. I can be a fan of any team I want to. My heart and loyalty will always be with the Hogs, but I can enjoy any team winning that I want to. I'm a fan of 25-30 teams every Saturday in the fall.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

BallHog1

Quote from: OBHOG on February 05, 2014, 06:46:57 pm
This is garbage....tired of it.  After the season we had...we should be happy as hell!!

I agree. I think the best way to react to this crappola is to completely ignore it and maybe it will eventually go away. Just don't acknowledge the posts.

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jlhogfan

Why Not?  LSU was not always LSU, Florida was not always Florida, etc...

Oklahawg

Quote from: jlhogfan on February 05, 2014, 08:37:31 pm
Why Not?  LSU was not always LSU, Florida was not always Florida, etc...

Maybe, but they have a built-in advantage called "population".
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

One must make the choice to be a fan, or not. I can't fathom not enjoying being a fan. I suspect that those who have a pessimistic fandom are not as mentally (or physically) healthy as those of us who choose to be more optimistic, even if it is not realistic.

(notOM)Rebel123

Well, I know one thing for sure...if we didn't, you'd be the first one to gripe & moan about it. In fact, if the Hogs finished ranked #2, you'd complain about them not being #1. Come to think of it, you'd find something to complain about if we were ranked #1.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pork Twain

How are Princeton, Harvard and Yale doing in the BCS era?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 05, 2014, 09:23:49 pm
One must make the choice to be a fan, or not. I can't fathom not enjoying being a fan. I suspect that those who have a pessimistic fandom are not as mentally (or physically) healthy as those of us who choose to be more optimistic, even if it is not realistic.

I know...  The constant amount of negativity from many on here, never ceases to amaze me.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

FelixJonesorDMAC?

The only thing that could change our recruiting is if somehow Arkansas High School Athletics decided to develop the talent we have and get serious with sports.  Little Rock, Pine Bluff, NWA and South Arkansas and East Arkansas should be able to to have some studs in Football.  All SEC states should be dominate in High School Football.  Arkansas High School football is behind 20 years.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 05, 2014, 09:23:49 pm

Some people can think for themselves and look at the situation realistically and not be  blind followers.  If you try that, you will see the BB is a horrible fit to coach our razorbacks...  Others chose to drink the Kool aid and claim others are not true fans.  Which group is mentally more healthy is certainly debatable...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Oklahawg

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 05, 2014, 09:48:04 pm
Some people can think for themselves and look at the situation realistically and not be  blind followers. If you try that, you will see the BB is a horrible fit to coach our razorbacks... Others chose to drink the Kool aid and claim others are not true fans.  Which group is mentally more healthy is certainly debatable...

Enlighten me. You raised the bar rather high, but I am willing to read and consider.

Pork Twain

Some people can think for themselves and look at the situation realistically and not be  blind followers.  If you try that, you will see the BB is a horrible fit to coach our razorbacks...  Others chose to drink the Kool aid and claim others are not true fans.  Which group is mentally more healthy is certainly debatable...
Those calling for a new coach after one year and two very good recruiting classes, have issues.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 05, 2014, 10:00:12 pm
Enlighten me. You raised the bar rather high, but I am willing to read and consider.
We are in for a long turn around.   BB coming from the big 10 and never having built a program.  Running an offense that is considered a dinosaur after BP's success bringing our offense into this century.  Not having Sec experience or even an idea what it takes to succeed in the sec.  I could go on forever about why BB is a terrible fit to lead our program. 

I will add shooting off his mouth and not being able to back it up.  Attacking the hunh - the direction football is headed - with the lame injury excuse.  He is and was a blowhard jerk at wisc.  There are soooo many things not to like.  He is the last person I would have hired to lead my razorbacks.  Did I mention I don't like him???

bigbadhog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 05, 2014, 10:00:53 pm
Those calling for a new coach after one year and two very good recruiting classes, have issues.

Not calling for him to be fired YET- still in shock that he was even considered for the job. 

Hogsenburg

Took the words right out of my mouth

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 05, 2014, 10:14:16 pm
We are in for a long turn around.   BB coming from the big 10 and never having built a program.  Running an offense that is considered a dinosaur after BP's success bringing our offense into this century.  Not having Sec experience or even an idea what it takes to succeed in the sec.  I could go on forever about why BB is a terrible fit to lead our program. 

I will add shooting off his mouth and not being able to back it up.  Attacking the hunh - the direction football is headed - with the lame injury excuse.  He is and was a blowhard jerk at wisc.  There are soooo many things not to like.  He is the last person I would have hired to lead my razorbacks.  Did I mention I don't like him???

I bet Nick Saban would have something to say about that

Hogsenburg

Yes we can......Unfortunately you are not one of those people

Oklahawg

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 05, 2014, 10:14:16 pm

Ah, irrational response couched in the language of rationality. Nice.

hoglady

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 05, 2014, 06:21:20 pm

We seem to have put all our eggs in the Florida basket and completely gotten away from Texas. I don't think it's not recruiting Texas well - I think it's not recruiting Texas hardly at all.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

warriorlion

I could live with a group ranked 10-12 every year myself.