Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Recruiting Class Ranking by Conference

Started by The_Iceman, February 05, 2014, 04:36:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thefisher

Quote from: three hog night on February 05, 2014, 10:30:06 pm
Did we not go to the BCS Sugar Bowl in 2011?   Go back and you will see that we were painfully close to going to the SEC championship.

Hogs finished 3rd place in their half of the conference. 

Not sure how coming in 3rd in their half of the conference is anything near, "we were painfully close to going to the SEC championship."
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 06, 2014, 12:07:38 pm
Babe Ruth's salary in the early 1930s was only $80,000 per year.  Carl Crawford made $20 million last year.  That means he must be 250 times better than the Babe!

There are more and more and more players being ranked every year as recruiting and recruiting services become bigger and bigger business.  When there are more players ranked, there are more 3 stars and 4 stars.  When there are more 3 stars and 4 stars available, SEC programs tend to sign more of them.  And when you sign more of them, your average star rating increases.

I watched ESPN last night and the crawl across the bottom of the screen about football signings was constant.  There are TV specials dedicated to recruiting.  How many recruiting "experts" are there now?  How many were there ten years ago?  Max Emfinger and...who?

Alabama had the nation's top ranked (according to Scout) recruiting class in 2008.  Their average star rating was 3.66.  That class included Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, Dont'a Hightower, Terrence Cody, Barrett Jones, Mark Barron, Courtney Upshaw, and Marcell Dareus...among others.

This year their average star rating is 4.04.  If a way to existed to accurately measure "better", how many would be willing to bet that the 2014 class contains significantly better talent than the guys I just mentioned?

Perspective is almost always a good thing.
Depends.  I'd be willing to bet all of the above 4.04 averaged players in this Alabam class will go pro. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

superior_wang

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2014, 05:15:49 pm
We are #30. OSU is #28 and Baylor is #26. Those two programs have been in the Top 25, and even sometimes in the Top 10, in the last 2 seasons. We have won 7 total games the last 2 years. And STILL we are that close to them.

Just shows you how good of a job Bielema and staff are doing recovering from the mess Petrino left us in.

complete horseshiite.

the_kosher_pig

superior_wang

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on February 06, 2014, 12:57:34 pm
So you'll go out on a limb and say Petrino recruited well? lol
not his strongest  arena, ill give u that... but jesus stop blaming bp for everything  under the sun. and based on the blame HDN got for a decade after he left, we'll be hearing ol bob blamed till early 2019. tards.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on February 06, 2014, 12:57:34 pm
So you'll go out on a limb and say Petrino recruited well? lol

He didn't recruit great, but his classes were pretty much the same rankings as we see today with Beliema.  Arkansas is a program (until I see different) that will never recruit in the top half of the SEC.  We will rarely ever recruit in the top 4 of the sec west division.

So basically what it is about for Arkansas is if our coaches can develop players and out coach others to win.  We had that with Petrino, we might have it with Beliema.  We will have to wait and see. 

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

the_kosher_pig

And CBP recruited skill players which are usually a higher rank.  CBB has better recruiting.  Pulling a 4 star OT is a lot harder than pulling a 4 star WR.  You're more likely to have skill players in your home state.  You can spin it all you want but CBB walked into a bigger mess.  It's easier to win quick with a wide open offense and little defense than a strong defense and traditional offense. 

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 05, 2014, 04:47:15 pm
This was not by any stretch of the imagination a bad year for the Razorbacks in recruiting. It was another good class, probably above average.
It was way above average considering we haven't won a SEC game since 2012. Make that a Helluva Class under those conditions.
I love off season Football!!

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on February 06, 2014, 01:13:18 pm
And CBP recruited skill players which are usually a higher rank.  CBB has better recruiting.  Pulling a 4 star OT is a lot harder than pulling a 4 star WR.  You're more likely to have skill players in your home state.  You can spin it all you want but CBB walked into a bigger mess.  It's easier to win quick with a wide open offense and little defense than a strong defense and traditional offense. 

Here is the real question are 3/4/5 star recruits  important(we all know the answer depending on the coach)?  CBB is known to be  a motivator and developer, so a top 30 class means we should see results on the field right?  Now the only  the only problem I have is that five of the seven SECW schools had a better recruiting class grade than we landed.  I just hope CBB lives up to his abilities, and it will show on the field this fall
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: thefisher on February 06, 2014, 12:31:16 pm

Not sure how coming in 3rd in their half of the conference is anything near, "we were painfully close to going to the SEC championship."

2010 SEC West Standings

1. Auburn 8-0, 12-0
2t. Arkansas 6-2, 10-2
2t. LSU 6-2, 10-2
4. Alabama 5-3, 9-3
5. Miss State 4-4, 8-4
6. Ole Miss 1-7, 4-8

Hogs win tiebreaker by virtue of beating LSU...

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 06, 2014, 10:18:45 pm
2010 SEC West Standings

1. Auburn 8-0, 12-0
2t. Arkansas 6-2, 10-2
2t. LSU 6-2, 10-2
4. Alabama 5-3, 9-3
5. Miss State 4-4, 8-4
6. Ole Miss 1-7, 4-8

Hogs win tiebreaker by virtue of beating LSU...

Yep we don't get screwed by the refs in that auburn game and it would have been us playing in the SEC championship game. 

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 06, 2014, 10:23:55 pm
Yep we don't get screwed by the refs in that auburn game and it would have been us playing in the SEC championship game. 
Quit living in the past we have the greatest coach possible and he will show you are a horrible fan by bringing up the past when the future is so damn bright.
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

Hogwild

Quote from: thefisher on February 06, 2014, 12:31:16 pm

We finished tied for 2nd, but finished the season ranked 4th amongst SEC West teams. 

Had we beat Auburn that season we would have represented the West against South Carolina who we already beat.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 06, 2014, 10:46:46 pm
Quit living in the past we have the greatest coach possible and he will show you are a horrible fan by bringing up the past when the future is so damn bright.

Umm yeah. Ok.  How great is 3-9?   I was just bringing up how close we were because someone in here said we were never close with BP. 

three hog night

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 06, 2014, 10:23:55 pm

BINGO....I was pissed at that game.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

LZH

three hog night

Petrino didn't catch any crap for his signing classes and he lower ranked classes than the 2 of Bielema's.   

HDN and Petrino were NOT bringing in top 15 classes sprinkled with a few top 5 classes, BUT the HATERS are saying Bielema is terrible for a #30 class.   Petrino and HDN had many classes ranked worse than 30.

This class is not the best ever, but the bottom of the class is way better than recent history.  We have always signed ARK kids that never got high ratings, because of a lack of national visibility.   Those ARK kids were DEVELOPED.  Keep things in perspective- the SEC is over the top on recruiting. Our 2015 class is ranked #7 in the nation but only 5th in the SEC.  We have NEVER had a top 5 class, yet we have won the previous SWC and gone to the SEC championship game 3 times, and almost went again in 2010 (Sugar Bowl BCS). 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: three hog night on February 07, 2014, 04:51:32 pm
Petrino didn't catch any crap for his signing classes and he lower ranked classes than the 2 of Bielema's.   

HDN and Petrino were NOT bringing in top 15 classes sprinkled with a few top 5 classes, BUT the HATERS are saying Bielema is terrible for a #30 class.   Petrino and HDN had many classes ranked worse than 30.

This class is not the best ever, but the bottom of the class is way better than recent history.  We have always signed ARK kids that never got high ratings, because of a lack of national visibility.   Those ARK kids were DEVELOPED.  Keep things in perspective- the SEC is over the top on recruiting. Our 2015 class is ranked #7 in the nation but only 5th in the SEC.  We have NEVER had a top 5 class, yet we have won the previous SWC and gone to the SEC championship game 3 times, and almost went again in 2010 (Sugar Bowl BCS). 

The truth is until CBB gets to what Petrino was doing here his last 2 years everyone will question everything he does. It's just the way it is.

People on message boards are stating their opinions and really no ones opinion means anything to the program. Majority of people on here won't give a crap about Petrino if Beliema is putting up 10 win or more seasons.  Until that happens get used to the bashing because right now he hasn't done anything to show he is worth the money that he is being paid.  You can blame it on Petrino, but it doesn't change who the coach is now and how bad we are right now. 

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Hogwild on February 07, 2014, 02:35:36 pm
We finished tied for 2nd, but finished the season ranked 4th amongst SEC West teams. 

Had we beat Auburn that season we would have represented the West against South Carolina who we already beat.

Umm, no. Reflecting overall record after bowl games is a crazy stretch, but I guess if it makes you feel good, go for it. We were second in the West and had we beaten Auburn we would have won the division...

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 07, 2014, 02:44:09 pm

Umm yeah. Ok.  How great is 3-9?   I was just bringing up how close we were because someone in here said we were never close with BP. 

I guess I should have included sarcasm maybe

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 07, 2014, 10:49:26 pm
I guess I should have included sarcasm maybe

Yeah it wasn't very clear.  If you were using sarcasm.  Too many on here think of Beliema as a god and he can do no wrong.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 08, 2014, 10:36:53 am
Yeah it wasn't very clear.  If you were using sarcasm.  Too many on here think of Beliema as a god and he can do no wrong.

He's been at Arkansas for one frickin' season. He took over a player development mess from John L. Smith and a recruiting/personnel mess from Petrino.

Yet the haters want to deem him worse than Houston Nutt because he went 3-9 in his first year with questionable roster at best.

footballfan

Quote from: Hogwild on February 07, 2014, 02:35:36 pm

So, had we beaten a team that we lost to by THREE TOUCHDOWNS, we would have gone to the SEC championship? Helluva of a moral victory there. Jeez. We finished ranked #12 in both polls. There were three other teams in the west that were clearly better than we were. Auburn, LSU (we beat them but they had a better record than us) and Alabama (we had the same record, but they beat us).

Arkansas. Where we can turn three touchdown blowouts into almost championships. The sooner we recognize that we weren't as close as we thought we were under Petrino, the better we can move forward trying to get close.

three hog night

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 08, 2014, 10:36:53 am

I don't think he is a God.  Why are some of us so defensive of the Hogs and the leadership?  We can't keep changing coaches, so this guy has to be successful.   I wanted Butch Davis as some of you may remember, so this is not a CBB thing....it's a HOG thing.   Personally, the program has had too much damage; thus I don't want anymore damage from OUR OWN FANS saying terrible things about recruits and coaches.   Our own fans bashing the coach/wanting him fired after ONE season is another fresh image for these recruits as they research schools on message boards.   I reiterate, we need CBB to be successful very badly. 

I was a major Petrino fan that also fought for him to keep his job....until I found out the whole story.  I wanted Butch Davis as HC instead of Bielema.  I was also concerned that our image was not good in the coaching fraternity after the HDN, Petrino, JLS debacles in a short time span.  I knew what shape the program was in from Petrino's relationship issues with HS coaches, and how our competition was using his legend for brutal abusive screaming against us.   I knew we were in trouble after the Sugar Bowl and couldn't sign good classes.

The Motorcycle wreck and John L Smith created such a stink nationally, that many have taken a circle the wagons mode of survival.   We have 3 declining years of recruiting before a Major Scandal, Firing, hiring of a temporary coach, a terrible failure of the staff/HC in 2012, and then a hiring of Bielema.....soon after going to the Sugar Bowl, Cotton Bowl and #5 ranking.

2013 was terrible and worse than I had hoped, but I knew it was going to be tough with this Oline, loss of Cobi, and a new QB....in addition to the defense.   The program endured a historically bad season, thus our IMAGE took another blow in an increasingly Narcistic world of athletes.   We all remember the 2010 and 2011 seasons, but the kids we are recruiting were in 9 or 10 grade at that time.   The motorcycle wreck, JLS Smile, and 3-9 are very FRESH images of the hogs to a kid in Denton, TX or Hialeah, FL.

Where are we?  Last year's Oline was a mess that need 2 TRue FR to start early.  Our Oline could not dictate or enforce their will when they HAD to, so we were terrible in 3rd and 4th down conversions.   The Oline should flip with the new talent coming in to make Oline our team strength.   If we are better at converting for first downs; then our DEFENSE will be on the field less.  How much can our LB's improve?   How much can our Dbacks improve?   The Dline will be solid once again.

The upper class of this team is very weak compared to other SEC teams.   You need strong mature leadership and that is something we lack more than ever.   Our Freshman, RS FR and Sophs are pretty good to great, AND make up the largest portion of our productive players.   Our younger players are going to be even more involved as leaders this year.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2014, 10:41:35 am
He's been at Arkansas for one frickin' season. He took over a player development mess from John L. Smith and a recruiting/personnel mess from Petrino.

Yet the haters want to deem him worse than Houston Nutt because he went 3-9 in his first year with questionable roster at best.

Now he has his four years to prove you right.  If not well I don't know.  Still Iceman I have a question for just you.   A  recuiting class that is Number 30 based on ESPN ratings, is going to surpass the other five teams rated higher than us in our division(thank you Miss St) ?  Like I posted before we will get to see how great CBB is at motivating and developing talent not in the top 25. 

porkrindjimmy

Petrino didnt catch crap with his recruiting classes because we knew he could coach em up and win football games. If you win with em, 30th ranked classes aren't getting complaints. You lose football games and they are going to catch hell.

Y'all keep spinning away. You talk about a system, developing players, Bret is doing it right...everything including world hunger is Bobbys fault..on and on. Until Bret puts wins on the table, this is what you will hear.

We should never get outrecruited by the likes of Kentucky, okie light, Baylor, ole Miss and on and on. We are a better program than those no matter what offense they run, flashy uniforms etc....

PRJ

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on February 08, 2014, 10:52:11 pm
Petrino didnt catch crap with his recruiting classes because we knew he could coach em up and win football games. If you win with em, 30th ranked classes aren't getting complaints. You lose football games and they are going to catch hell.

Y'all keep spinning away. You talk about a system, developing players, Bret is doing it right...everything including world hunger is Bobbys fault..on and on. Until Bret puts wins on the table, this is what you will hear.

We should never get outrecruited by the likes of Kentucky, okie light, Baylor, ole Miss and on and on. We are a better program than those no matter what offense they run, flashy uniforms etc....

PRJ

The 49th ranked class was the issue. 

Or location, right? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

porkrindjimmy