Sr Associate HC - Randy Shannon

Started by Tim Harris, February 05, 2014, 02:58:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Harris

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2014, 03:16:08 pm
It didn't affect the class.

You know ^^^This^^^ how?

Thomas, Jackson, Rhaheed, Young, etc. all defensive guys, all recruits that some thought we might have a shot at.

Some were long shots admittedly but you have no idea whether or not having a DC hurt our chances with them or not and IMO it couldn't have helped.

We land a good DC hire maybe we grab just one off that list but instead we appear to be flailing after losing out on all 4.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Porkatarian

Quote from: hogfan1003 on February 05, 2014, 03:02:05 pm
So I guess Bo does NOT know?

Smith was one of 3 candidates brought in for 2nd interviews.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

LZH

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 05, 2014, 03:27:30 pm
You know ^^^This^^^ how?

Thomas, Jackson, Rhaheed, Young, etc. all defensive guys, all recruits that some thought we might have a shot at.

Some were long shots admittedly but you have no idea whether or not having a DC hurt our chances with them or not and IMO it couldn't have helped.

We land a good DC hire maybe we grab just one off that list but instead we appear to be flailing after losing out on all 4.

Anyone who says differently won't allow themselves to see the truth.

online-with-swine

CBB heard that Butch Davis is interested and has decided to pursue that option.

not really

Hawginj

Quote from: Porkatarian on February 05, 2014, 03:29:41 pm

Porkatarian out...

ok Smith, Odom, and who? GO Hogs!

Atlhogfan1

You know ^^^This^^^ how?

Some were longshots?   ;D

We didn't lose something we never had.  And we aren't flailing.  We are recruiting how Arkansas normally recruits.  A DC wasn't going to fix our recruiting issue especially the specifics with these recruits.  A DC wasn't going to put Arkansas' academic rep on par with Stanford's. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

online-with-swine

Porkatarian out...

Would you be interested in naming the other 2?   I figure Odom the second but who would be the 3rd?

HumpinHog

Porkatarian out...

So, as far recruiting goes, the big NSA secret jig, didn't bring crap?

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Porkatarian

Quote from: Hawginj on February 05, 2014, 03:31:21 pm

ok Smith, Odom, and who? GO Hogs!

I don't know the 3rd.

Porkatarian out...

"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 05, 2014, 03:09:14 pm
Can we just make Shannon the head coach and make CBB the Associate? Just saying.

Shannon's record as a head coach is abysmal when compared to Bielema.

You guys have a lot of problems with logic.

Hawginj

Quote from: Porkatarian on February 05, 2014, 03:34:59 pm
I don't know the 3rd.

Porkatarian out...

well alright this could be interesting thanks Pork. Go Hogs!

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2014, 03:31:38 pm
Some were longshots?   ;D

We didn't lose something we never had.  And we aren't flailing.  We are recruiting how Arkansas normally recruits.  A DC wasn't going to fix our recruiting issue especially the specifics with these recruits.  A DC wasn't going to put Arkansas' academic rep on par with Stanford's.

Keep telling yourself that having no DC had no effect on our recruiting.

If I'm taking a job I wanna know who my boss is not just my immediate supervisor.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 05, 2014, 03:40:08 pm

If I'm taking a job I wanna know who my boss is not just my immediate supervisor.

THIIIIISSSSSSS!!!!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Ex-Trumpet

Or their philosophy...and based on last year's defense, I cannot comment on a philosophy.  That guy is gone.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Oliver

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 05, 2014, 03:41:12 pm

THIIIIISSSSSSS!!!!!

Yeah.  I understand the waiting on naming Randy Shannon thing some.  This delay on the DC hire makes zero sense to me.

IBleedRazorbackRed

You know ^^^This^^^ how?

Good job using Rhaheed, somebody we backed off on, to support your argument. If these guys had any concerns about our DC, they would have brought them up whenever asked by reporters about concerns of coming here.

Tarheelhawg

Wow, I really needed to laugh today. Thanks!  If after 7 days, there is still no DC; then perhaps , we don't need no stinking Defensive Coordinator.  It will be clear by then...

Oliver

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on February 05, 2014, 03:43:24 pm
Good job using Rhaheed, somebody we backed off on, to support your argument. If these guys had any concerns about our DC, they would have brought them up whenever asked by reporters about concerns of coming here.

Why would we "back off" of Rhaheed?  I mean he only plays the position we are in the most dire need of. 

LZH

+1.

Arkansas Fan

And where's your proof that not having a DC effected getting Thomas and Jackson?

Atlhogfan1

We didn't have many positions left to be taken and the ones you listed had better job offers.  It didn't matter who their supervisor was going to be at Arkansas. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 05, 2014, 03:26:01 pm
How is that?

Don't position coaches do most of the recruiting anyways? I thought they get to get out and visit recruits more so than Coordinators. I'm probably wrong but that's what I thought.

hawgXi

The "third" interview call back could have been with RS?

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 05, 2014, 03:48:13 pm
And where's your proof that not having a DC effected getting Thomas and Jackson?

Give me one way that not having a named DC helps us in recruiting.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on February 05, 2014, 03:44:58 pm
Wow, I really needed to laugh today. Thanks!  If after 7 days, there is still no DC; then perhaps , we don't need no stinking Defensive Coordinator.  It will be clear by then...

Pretty sure we didn't have one last year.

RazorPiggie

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2014, 03:49:04 pm
We didn't have many positions left to be taken and the ones you listed had better job offers.  It didn't matter who their supervisor was going to be at Arkansas.

We've gotten guys with "better job offers" before.

I'm not saying we for sure would have gotten any of those guys if we had a DC in place but MAYBE it might have helped depending who it was.

I just don't see any benefit to waiting to announce it unless it was the Randy Shannon Miami contract thing which we now know it wasn't since he's not being named DC.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 05, 2014, 03:57:45 pm

You could say "we'll hire a DC that knows how to use you in his defense if you come here".

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 05, 2014, 04:07:37 pm
You could say "we'll hire a DC that knows how to use you in his defense if you come here".

You cannot be serious.

Yep I can see how that would foster a ton of confidence.

Tim Harris

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on February 05, 2014, 03:53:21 pm
Don't position coaches do most of the recruiting anyways? I thought they get to get out and visit recruits more so than Coordinators. I'm probably wrong but that's what I thought.

I don't think that is the case. We have just had DCs who weren't known as great recruiters.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 05, 2014, 03:57:45 pm

No one can say they don't like our DC.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: S.A.D.C on February 05, 2014, 04:14:33 pm
No one can say they don't like our DC.

Lol, well there's that I guess.  :D

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 05, 2014, 03:58:30 pm
Pretty sure we didn't have one last year.

Although I'm a BB supporter, I gotta admit there were times when we were clearly defensive, but not coordinated.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: The real Hogules on February 05, 2014, 03:18:54 pm
Well, maybe because the man who keeps 3 names of assistant coaches at each position, just in case he loses an assistant is STILL saying in the next 7 days.

Oh, and though I know that it doesn't matter, I'd prefer Odom to Smith.

I'm thinking he threw that list away

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 05, 2014, 04:09:44 pm
You cannot be serious.

Yep I can see how that would foster a ton of confidence.

I'm just glad Bielema's our HC and not you.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on February 05, 2014, 03:53:21 pm

Position coaches have more time to recruit during the season than do coordinators.  It is good not to have Shannon tied up with coordinator duties. 

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 05, 2014, 04:29:26 pm
I'm just glad Bielema's our HC and not you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 05, 2014, 03:11:08 pm
This is getting kind of ridiculous.  How long has it been since we had a DC?

About as long as we've had dumb fans making dumb statements and asking dumb questions about it.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

OldCoot

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2014, 03:02:32 pm
So he basically will have a superior title to the DC. It will be nice to have 2 solid defensive coaches like Shannon and Robb Smith on staff.

That is not a superior title.  You have HC then Coordinators.  Everything else is window dressing.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Dude on February 05, 2014, 04:56:27 pm
That is not a superior title.  You have HC then Coordinators.  Everything else is window dressing.

Not necessarily.  All depends on what authority the HC actually gives each.  These titles are not set in stone by all of college football.  The HC or AD sets policy on what authority these positions have.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2014, 04:35:27 pm
Position coaches have more time to recruit during the season than do coordinators.  It is good not to have Shannon tied up with coordinator duties. 

This is what I was trying to say. I feel like I always hear about the position coaches out and about more-so than the coordinators. +1

superior_wang

ok,  please take note, i am PRAISING CBB.  Very happy we have RS on staff.   +1 CBB.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogfan1003 on February 05, 2014, 03:02:05 pm
So I guess Bo does NOT know?
I think Bo stole his thunder, so now he is waiting a week to let the pot stew and announce Robb Smith with appropriate fan fair.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 05, 2014, 03:09:56 pm
what title is that?  Seriously what does it mean.  Are there any other examples in the SEC? 

Whay does it have to mean anything to Hogville, you or me or anybody?  Apparently, if you need something to hold on to, it at least means RS will not be going anywhere and is rewarded for his recruiting capacity/capabilities.

And to ell with the SEC.  We do it our way here, not the way others thing it should be.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 05, 2014, 03:09:56 pm
what title is that?  Seriously what does it mean.
Well it seems to imply that we have a jr associate lackey on staff or soon to be on staff.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Best part of Hogville is that people are having fun with it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Oliver on February 05, 2014, 03:45:26 pm
Why would we "back off" of Rhaheed?  I mean he only plays the position we are in the most dire need of.

I'm not on the coaching staff, but it probably had something to do with the same reason every other school backed off on him. There's probably a reason he signed with Louisville. The fact that he's barely 200 lbs might be part of it. Idk their reasoning. But I don know Shannon is one of the best linebacker coaches in the country, so if he doesn't want to pursue someone I'll trust him.