Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

dudley just said

Started by Kevin, February 05, 2014, 02:18:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VBMark

Just a thought...yesterday's Butch Davis comment may have made CBB pause from hiring Smith. Maybe he wants to see if Davis was serious.

Having an Sr. Associate HC usually means that he is HC-in-waiting. It also means that everybody knows who runs things when the HC is away.

Taver was just Associate HC, but when that thing with the motorcycle happened he stepped up ran the practices and oversaw things. That short experience will lead to Taver getting a shot at being a HC or DC sooner rather than later.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 05, 2014, 02:48:03 pm
So why Robb Smith over Butch Davis?

More likely that Butch isn't interested....

Stang1970

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on February 05, 2014, 04:29:59 pm

More likely that Butch isn't interested....

But we will never know unless he tells us so.

Hoggish1

Good.  Now on to spring practice and recruiting the rest of the 2015 class!

DoctorSusscrofa

Still haven't seen any direct quote of what Butch said...
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

LZH

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on February 05, 2014, 04:12:19 pm
Pope's too dang old.  No way he would be any good recruiting.

No kidding.  Besides, he only got his job because the last pope stepped down.  We don't need any 2nd-stringers.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 05, 2014, 05:24:14 pm
No kidding.  Besides, he only got his job because the last pope stepped down.  We don't need any 2nd-stringers.

But he could sure take recruits on a He.. um heck of a ride in the Popemobile.

LZH

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 05, 2014, 05:27:05 pm
But he could sure take recruits on a He.. um heck of a ride in the Popemobile.

Ha.  Yeah, but that's no substitute for buyin' them Trans Ams.......THAT's how a real recruiter rolls.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Redhogs on February 05, 2014, 02:28:36 pm
Also said you "could" call this class disappointing. Now there's some red meat for the Dudley haters..Bo seemed to agree..they mentioned 11th out of 16 SEC recruiting classes several times  :'(
I hope they meant 14
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Kevin on February 05, 2014, 02:18:39 pm
smith dc
shannon assistant head coach
Guess we can mark Smith off our list if Duds said it.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

acey33

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 05, 2014, 02:36:08 pm
I've been saying Shannon didn't come here to wait for a DC job to open up.  He came here to earn a pay check while he waited for a great opportunity.

I think every asst. coach is waiting on a great opportunity while they are doing their job...JMHO 

acey33

Quote from: KnilesKankle on February 05, 2014, 04:20:20 pm
The Pope already has a nice gig lined up at PSU.

Let him know we'll double or triple his salary like we did last year for the asst, coach that hadn't even coached a game yet...money is no object here

We should be able to hire who we want

Pork Twain

You guys are right, what we really need to do is ignore quality DC candidates and only go after guys that will be looking for a HCing gig shortly.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The NewEra

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 06, 2014, 10:53:57 am
You guys are right, what we really need to do is ignore quality DC candidates and only go after guys that will be looking for a HCing gig shortly.

Makes perfect sense if you want stability in your program.  I see your (sarc.)

ThatGUY

CBB doesnt want to bring in his replacement, that way when the W's dont come this year he isnt replaced.... Lets be honest, Rnady Shannon would never be considered as a replacement for CBB (see arkansas coaching history)

RNHog

Dawson doesn't know crap.
Davenport doesn't know crap.
Biddy doesn't know crap.
Mattingley doesn't know crap.

Quit putting stock into these clowns.

Hogarusa

Do you guys really think that a coach would purposefully turn down a coordinator position simply due to the team's past struggles?  That doesn't seem to be head coaching material as you would think you would have the confidence in order to turn any struggles around. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Been10Hog

Quote from: BrassNunchucks on February 05, 2014, 03:43:44 pm
Bielema could be looking at it from a political standpoint. A lot of people wanted Davis as the head coach in 2012. If BB hired Davis as DC, and the hogs continue to struggle in 2014, how long before the fan base and boosters start whispering about Davis being a better man to lead the program?

And would Davis do anything to discourage those whispers? I have my doubts.
You have to look over your shoulder. Remember when Joe Kines brought in Danny Ford as an adviser. It would have potential to be an uncomfortable situation with two people on staff who had been BCS head coaches. Could be a great situation if everyone was on the same page, however. Can you imagine how pissed Miami fans would be at us when we show up to recruit South Florida with 2 former UM coaches!

Pathogen

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 05, 2014, 04:09:35 pm
Does anybody have an actual direct word for word quote from Butch about wanting the job?  Before yesterday all the stories were that Butch did not want the job. If there's actually a direct quote - i'd be interested in seeing it exactly as he said it.

I don't have the exact quote, but on Bo's show this week he said that after having worked at the Senior Bowl and helping some former Tampa Bay staff network with other coaches, that he wouldn't rule out being an assistant in college.  Shortly thereafter he said, "But I think Arkansas already has their defensive coordinator."  Listening to it, it is clear Butch would consider the position. This article doesn't include that quote, but it includes several others from the same interview.

http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Article/Butch-Davis-I-want-to-coach-again-175714

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: RNHog on February 06, 2014, 03:07:33 pm
Dawson doesn't know crap.
Davenport doesn't know crap.
Biddy doesn't know crap.
Mattingley doesn't know crap.

Quit putting stock into these clowns.

RNHog doesn't know crap.

RNHog

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RNHog on February 06, 2014, 03:27:04 pm
Awesome. I just joined 99.9% of hogville.

You'll need to show proof of the existence of the .1% sir.   ;) 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2014, 04:11:52 pm

I'm here...................................

Just kidding.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: fvillehog on February 06, 2014, 03:21:14 pm
I don't have the exact quote, but on Bo's show this week he said that after having worked at the Senior Bowl and helping some former Tampa Bay staff network with other coaches, that he wouldn't rule out being an assistant in college.  Shortly thereafter he said, "But I think Arkansas already has their defensive coordinator."  Listening to it, it is clear Butch would consider the position. This article doesn't include that quote, but it includes several others from the same interview.

http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Article/Butch-Davis-I-want-to-coach-again-175714

So those two statements are proof he wants the Arkansas DC job?  Let's look at those two statements logically:

1.  I wouldn't rule out being an assistant coach in college.
2.  I think Arkansas has already has their defensive coordinator.

And to some people that's supposed to be equal to - I want the Arkansas DC job! Really? 
I bet I can show you lots of people that wouldn't rule out being an assistant coach in college, and think Arkansas already has their DC.  Maybe they all want our job too!  That means lots of people want our DC job.  BB better not plan on hiring anybody this week, we got a line out the door!

Pathogen

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 06, 2014, 04:35:11 pm
So those two statements are proof he wants the Arkansas DC job?  Let's look at those two statements logically:

1.  I wouldn't rule out being an assistant coach in college.
2.  I think Arkansas has already has their defensive coordinator.

And to some people that's supposed to be equal to - I want the Arkansas DC job! Really? 
I bet I can show you lots of people that wouldn't rule out being an assistant coach in college, and think Arkansas already has their DC.  Maybe they all want our job too!  That means lots of people want our DC job.  BB better not plan on hiring anybody this week, we got a line out the door!

Unless you heard the interview, don't waste everyone's time commenting on it.  He didn't come right out and say it, but that was exactly what he was implying.

RNHog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2014, 04:11:52 pm

That will be like proving that Obama is worth a dang. Almost impossible.

wachhog

Quote from: Kevin on February 05, 2014, 02:18:39 pm
smith dc
shannon assistant head coach
Well. BB has to live or die by these hires. Come September, we shall see...what we shall see.

hoglady

Beliema's future here probably rests on making this a good hire.
He said yesterday he couldn't live off his Wisconsin record on the recruiting trail this year and that he couldn't overcome last years 3-9 record with many of them. Imagine trying to recruit if we have another horrible year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

secfan30

Quote from: ThatGUY on February 06, 2014, 02:57:16 pm
CBB doesnt want to bring in his replacement, that way when the W's dont come this year he isnt replaced.... Lets be honest, Rnady Shannon would never be considered as a replacement for CBB (see arkansas coaching history)

Coach Richardson, Heath and Coach Anderson say hi....

prairiehogcompanion

Note to stenographers: the press release has arrived.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 05, 2014, 05:19:32 pm
Good.  Now on to spring practice and recruiting the rest of the 2015 class!

Which includes but is not limited to keeping all 4* athletes in the state......
This is my non-signature signature.