Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith new DC??

Started by Mr. Porkleone, February 05, 2014, 01:18:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmodrum

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2014, 01:33:14 pm
Release your anger.

Thanks for the phrase popular when Luke went to the Death Star.
Go away, batin'

ki285

I'm sure all the titty babies in this post don't know the first thing about the guy. Tell me what makes him a bad hire. Ill admit I don't understand waiting so long to make the hire if this is the guy, but that's not to say the man can't coach.

Oliver

navyhog24

So, the longer it takes Bielema to hire an assistant the more unimpressed we'll be?....Got it!

bigbadhog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on February 05, 2014, 01:37:05 pm
Why does it have to be spun?

bp

It will be spun whether had to be or not.
Quote from: BorderPatrol on February 05, 2014, 01:37:05 pm
Why does it have to be spun?

bp

Because RS, BD or EO are much more qualified...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on February 05, 2014, 01:33:27 pm
It's not about a love or hate fest.  A poor hire is a poor hire. 

If he's the best BB could get then ok, but don't pee down my leg and tell me its raining.  Statistically RS runs circles around him, but we don't know why BB didn't promote RS.  I'd like to know why.

People that don't know how to hire will say a "poor hire is a poor hire". Why? Because they don't understand that you have NO way of knowing IF a hire is good or poor until AFTER they have had the job for a while that you hired them for.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 05, 2014, 01:38:24 pm
Think again.  And don't pretend to know me or think I'm a Petrino lover....you are poorly mistaken.

Fail.

There's a reason you're crying like a little bitch about a coach that hasn't even had a chance to coach here.

Let's see you cry some more, Petrino lover.

navyhog24

Atlhogfan1

Don't know who he is and I've never paid attention to his defenses close enough to know if he did a good job or not.  I do know the DC job at Arkansas is not a good job.  He may be here long enough to have an experienced capable, defense like what we had vs K St or in 2006.  In that case, our fans will see him as okay maybe.  If not, they'll attack him like our other SEC era DC's, or at least those of the message board age, and we'll move on to the next one they'll attack. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

trashcan maN

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 05, 2014, 01:39:43 pm
Show me where any of those guys said they'd take the job. If a better candidate had wanted the job, he would have gotten it. It's pretty cut and dry. You take the best available. Do you think this man hired the 6th best guy for the job just for fun? His job is at stake.

Critical thinking people...

PorkSoda

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 05, 2014, 01:39:31 pm
So, the longer it takes Bielema to hire an assistant the more unimpressed we'll be?....Got it!
when it takes this long, one has to think that either its a high profile guy how as requested to wait, or....he struck out on everyone he wanted and finally settled for anyone who would accept the position.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hog on the Hill

LZH

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 05, 2014, 01:40:48 pm
There's a reason you're crying like a little bitch about a coach that hasn't even had a chance to coach here.

Let's see you cry some more, Petrino lover.

You are soooo predictable.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 05, 2014, 01:35:43 pm
Why wait until after signings to announce???  Him over RS, BD or EO???  Hard to spin...

RS Is still on our staff, so no loss there.  I bet he picks up an Assistant HC title or something of that nature.
If BD is Butch Davis then he was never coming here to be a cooridinator.
No idea what Ed O is looking for, but there were some pretty salty programs looking for a DC and he has not taken any of them , so he might be wanting another HC gig as well.

muddhogger

I hope this isn't true especially if randy Shannon was a candidate. If Shannon wanted it and they didn't give it to him instead they chose this guy I will be very disappointed in the head coach. We will  end up losing Shannon and our recruiting pipe line to south Florida. There will be A LOT of unhappy hog fans

Arkansas Fan

ICEman

Very shallow resume for a DC in my opinion.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

bigbadhog

Quote from: kj0N on February 05, 2014, 01:41:21 pm
Show me where any of those guys said they'd take the job. If a better candidate had wanted the job, he would have gotten it. It's pretty cut and dry. You take the best available. Do you think this man hired the 6th best guy for the job just for fun? His job is at stake.

BD stated yesterday he would have taken it but we already had our guy.  You can find it yourself like it did...

wachhog

Quote from: Oliver on February 05, 2014, 01:22:27 pm
Oh, the Robb Smith love fest will start as soon as it's official.  There will be plenty of gushing and defending
Actually I am gushing over the fact that this may hasten the departure of both our AD and head coach--of their own volition.  Talk about a hit to a school's reputation-- sitting in a lackluster hire until after recruits sign on the dotted line.

PorkSoda

I'm sure he did.  that is what is so sad.  a lot fewer would have complained if he had made this hire two weeks ago.  dragging it out this long only to crush people's hopes makes people suspicious.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SemperFi

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 05, 2014, 01:23:11 pm
This will be difficult for the "Beliema Army" to spin :)

Well, I'm here! So let's hear your expert opinion on why Robb Smith will not make for a good DC here at Arkansas. I challenge any of you to provide facts as to why he won't get it done at the UA. All you experts out there that must have been on Coach B's shortlist, but are now butt hurt that you didn't get the job please enlighten us as to why Robb Smith is a bad choice. I don't give a crap about your personal opinions, but want facts.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

PorkSoda

Quote from: wachhog on February 05, 2014, 01:43:32 pm
Actually I am gushing over the fact that this may hasten the departure of both our AD and head coach--of their own volition.  Talk about a hit to a school's reputation-- sitting in a lackluster hire until after recruits sign on the dotted line.
integrity at its finest

Professor Psychosis

So we're just going off Bo's tweet and a news organization that decided to report on the tweet?

Hopefullly Bielema addresses this at the 2:30 press conference.

ifghog

Would have rather had Odom but this is not a bad hire at all.

LZH

Right now I'd have to guess that BB was turned down by quite a few people before it got to this.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 05, 2014, 01:43:44 pm
I'm sure he did.  that is what is so sad.  a lot fewer would have complained if he had made this hire two weeks ago.  dragging it out this long only to crush people's hopes makes people suspicious.

Hopes for what?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

yankeefaninHOGland

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 05, 2014, 01:36:15 pm
I bet you had no problem when your hero Petrino hired Paul Haynes.

No... I specifically remember being disappointed he didn't hire CRS then.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 05, 2014, 01:45:05 pm
Right now I'd have to guess that BB was turned down by quite a few people before it got to this.

No darn.  Most people like job security and a job in which they can succeed. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: wachhog on February 05, 2014, 01:43:32 pm

Reputation as what?  One that hasn't been able to consistently field great defenses in decades? 

Stang1970

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 05, 2014, 01:36:29 pm
so he has one season experience in a sub par conference and successfully defended the most anemic offense Arkansas has ever fielded  with a senior laden defense.

He was the DC at Rutgers for 4 years I believe.

LZH

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 05, 2014, 01:42:48 pm
Your hero's at Louisville.

Do your homework, cuz.  Check my posts over the past two and a half years and find one, just one, that could lead anybody to think that.  Give it up and move on.

BossHawgOutlaw

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 05, 2014, 01:33:29 pm
Why? Here's a direct quote from the link.

Smith, 38, spent the 2013 season with Tampa Bay as the linebackers coach. Before that he served as the defensive coordinator at Rutgers in 2012. The Scarlet Knights ranked No. 4 nationally in scoring defense, No. 6 against the run and No. 10 overall that season.

In 2012 Rutgers lost to Kent State, Pitt, Louisville, and Virgina Tech.  They beat Tulane, Howard, Hogs, Conn, Syracuse, temple, army, and Cincinnati.  I'm not impressed at all. Those rankings are against terrible competition.

bpoecell

I've never heard of him/he isn't the guy I wanted = bad hire on Hogville. I don't know why I'm surprised; this place is never short on pissing and moaning.

bigbadhog

Quote from: FlyFisher on February 05, 2014, 01:44:22 pm
Well, I'm here! So let's hear your expert opinion on why Robb Smith will not make for a good DC here at Arkansas. I challenge any of you to provide facts as to why he won't get it done at the UA. All you experts out there that must have been on Coach B's shortlist, but are now butt hurt that you didn't get the job please enlighten us as to why Robb Smith is a bad choice. I don't give a crap about your personal opinions, but want facts.

A good defense at Rutgers means nothing in the SEC.  LB coach in NFL means nothing in the SEC.  Not a known recruiter in the Southeast.  He is not the splash hire that BB needed.  RS, BD or EO would have been that splash hire.  Why wait until kids sign to announce???  that is very suspicious.  Now, YOUR facts as to why he is such a GREAT hire...  And by the way, I don't care about your opinion either!

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 05, 2014, 01:45:05 pm

I figure the HC knows more about this than guys and gals posting on a message board. It's his coaching staff, his choice.

Tusks

If BD would have really taken the DC job and the hogs said no.  That is outright stupid.

The man has a SB ring being a DL coach and a DC for the Cowboys.  He did what he did at the U.  The man can flat out coach a defense and we said no thanks.  OY!!
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 05, 2014, 01:48:13 pm
Do your homework, cuz.  Check my posts over the past two and a half years and find one, just one, that could lead anybody to think that.  Give it up and move on.

Maybe Petrino will hire you on to his staff, I'm sure he's having trouble finding real coaches that will work with him.

AFWarrior83

Hogville member since 2005.

LZH

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 05, 2014, 01:43:15 pm
BD stated yesterday he would have taken it but we already had our guy.  You can find it yourself like it did...

I didn't listen to it, but last nite somebody said he thought BD was serious about wanting the job.  I had my doubts, still kinda do.

arkvet

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on February 05, 2014, 01:34:26 pm
facts don't go here!!!

Please let me indulge one more fact: THAT team beat us at RRS when he was the DC. We scored 26 points and lost. That was the most points his D gave up that year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

lrcentral

They didn't announce it before NSD because it was a joke hire. Deep down you make excuses but know this is true.

trashcan maN

Oliver

Barry Odom! Barry Odom! Barry Odom! Barry Odom! Barry Odom!

Redhogs

Quote from: TeedupHigh on February 05, 2014, 01:26:22 pm
We can hope he is as good as Willie and then the other guy whoever he was.........Now those two was great hires!!!
Your motto...when the news is not good.....let's go bash anything Bobby..at this point, you just look foolish.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

KMB90

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 05, 2014, 01:39:43 pm

Ed Orgeron has never been a DC!! How does that make him more qualified??

Oh that's right...you knew his name before all this started and you are smarter than every head coach in the country. How silly of me to forget.

Hogsenburg

Newsflash people: Arkansas has been bad at defense for quite a few years now. These "big name" coaches that you guys throw around here don't want to come to a place where defense has been this bad and unimportant.....that would be an unwise career decision. Also give RS a freakin chance before you blast him....you guys have no idea what he might be capable of GET A GRIP and support the Hogs instead of being so miserable all the damn time

The real Hogules

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 05, 2014, 01:32:50 pm
So many quality D1 head coaches on this board.

Well, if this hiring is true CBB is approaching Nutt like status!

How about since you're not exactly killing it on the recruiting trail, you hire someone who can?
Not a no name that has exactly ONE years experience as a DC.

I've tried to get behind CBB. I hated the hire (of CBB), but really liked the assistants that he assembled on his coaching staff.

Now, some of those coaches I liked have found other jobs and CBB is back filling with "aint been there, ain't done that" types.

If this is his selection, then I'm extremely happy CBB waited until the ink was dry on the LOI's before sharing this news with the general public.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

bigbadhog

Quote from: KMB90 on February 05, 2014, 01:53:43 pm
Ed Orgeron has never been a DC!! How does that make him more qualified??

Oh that's right...you knew his name before all this started and you are smarter than every head coach in the country. How silly of me to forget.

What is silly of you is to overlook the recruiting impact he could have.  He has been a HC so I think he could handle the DC position just fine...