Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith new DC??

Started by Mr. Porkleone, February 05, 2014, 01:18:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lumphog

Quote from: Birminghog on February 07, 2014, 09:01:57 am
+1 for the Zappa reference. Meet you at St. Alphonzo's for pancakes.
WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO

twistitup

I've been checking out some Canadian recruits....uncommon for sure, with his experience at Maine, he might have some connections up that way.

We might find a top notch LB that 'bama hasn't offered yet.

http://topprospects.ca/blog/1st-team-hs-football-canadians/
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

twistitup

wachhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2014, 03:42:53 pm
DC at Arkansas is not a run of the mill SEC job.  It isn't an easy one to sell to coaches with other options.  If Biggus is right and Franklin, Bielema should get a lot of credit for selling this job to someone with good options. 
Wonder why Todd Grantham "bought" the pitch to go to Louisville, considering the head coach, his lousy recruiting class, etc?

grayhawg

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 07:08:20 pm
Wonder why Todd Grantham "bought" the pitch to go to Louisville, considering the head coach, his lousy recruiting class, etc?
Maybe he felt like he was about to be unemployed,

wachhog

Quote from: grayhawg on February 07, 2014, 07:13:52 pm
Maybe he felt like he was about to be unemployed,
If so, Arkansas didn't want him?

jacobp

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 07:08:20 pm
Did you see the contract he got? That's exactly why he went. That and he was probably not long for UGA.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: wachhog on February 07, 2014, 07:18:56 pm
If so, Arkansas didn't want him?

UGA didn't want him. He would have been fired next year most likely.

grayhawg

Hogsnort

We don't necessarily need Robb Smith for doing that. We could also recruit American Samoa while we're at it.

twistitup

Quote from: Hogsnort on February 08, 2014, 05:00:38 am
We don't necessarily need Robb Smith for doing that. We could also recruit American Samoa while we're at it.

We don't need a DC that recruits?

Hogsnort

Quote from: twistitup on February 08, 2014, 05:14:21 am
We don't need a DC that recruits?
Oh we need that. But I also think we need a really good recruiter as well as a really good DC. Quite honestly, I didn't have a clue who Robb Smith was before his name popped up as an alleged candidate. And don't read anything into that statement because I don't know enough about the guy to judge his qualifications or disqualifications.

twistitup

Quote from: Hogsnort on February 08, 2014, 05:31:45 am
Oh we need that. But I also think we need a really good recruiter as well as a really good DC. Quite honestly, I didn't have a clue who Robb Smith was before his name popped up as an alleged candidate. And don't read anything into that statement because I don't know enough about the guy to judge his qualifications or disqualifications.

I don't either, so I'm trying to find his qualifications. Maine, Rutgers, Tampa Bay, Fired....it kinda speaks for itself. I just don't see any connections to the SEC, our recruiting grounds, etc.....

In my opinion it simply makes sense to have a guy with ties to the kids we recruit. I would almost rather get a small college DC out of Texas since we seem to struggle down there. Get a DC that already coaches in Texas, we need in roads.

Smith may give us recruits up north, but I don't see him being a powerhouse southern recruiter - this is what we need

Hogsnort

He evidently was fairly successful at Maine as DC for 3 years and at at Rutgers for 1 year. He also was a position coach at both places before going to Tampa Bay. I don't feel that confident about him coaching in the SEC but like I said, I still don't know a whole lot about him.

Boarcephus

Using the James Franklin Theory about how good a recruiter a coach is based on the looks of his wife, we don't know a thing because I can't find a picture of her.  I like what Tubberville says about coaches, you can find all kinds of X's and O's coaches, you want the ones who can recruit.  Have to agree with Twist, seems a better move to find someone with a connection to our recruiting area.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

tophawg19

we need to get back into Texas hard . add that to florida and Georgia which has been good to us and Louisanna and mississippi and we have a solid recruiting area. We have never done well in Miss. , A state that produces tons of kids . I thought CBB and co. would do well in the big ten region but not to much this season .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

farmhawg

Quote from: Oliver on February 05, 2014, 01:22:27 pm
Oh, the Robb Smith love fest will start as soon as it's official.  There will be plenty of gushing and defending
Yep.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Scott7703

GuvHog

Quote from: grayhawg on February 07, 2014, 07:25:05 pm
With all the talent Georgia had they were ranked 7 in the SEC, I would hope CBB was not interested.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1353731-sec-football-power-ranking-the-conferences-best-defenses-of-september/page/2

They were decimated by the injury bug, that had a lot to do with their bad defensive year. Don't forget that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hog_fan

Quote from: acey33 on February 06, 2014, 03:00:59 pm
Question...I wonder if he'll be on the job for only a couple of month's (under contract) before we increase his salary 100% without him coaching a single game for the UA...WPS

If you were in charge Pittman would be at Bama.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on February 08, 2014, 10:21:22 am
They were decimated by the injury bug, that had a lot to do with their bad defensive year. Don't forget that.

Majority of their key injuries were on Offense.

TJS