Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith new DC??

Started by Mr. Porkleone, February 05, 2014, 01:18:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Stang1970 on February 05, 2014, 01:47:51 pm
He was the DC at Rutgers for 4 years I believe.

One year. He was on the D staff there for several.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

KMB90

Quote from: Otto Von Pigsmark on February 05, 2014, 01:55:11 pm
Newsflash people: Arkansas has been bad at defense for quite a few years now. These "big name" coaches that you guys throw around here don't want to come to a place where defense has been this bad and unimportant.....that would be an unwise career decision. Also give RS a freakin chance before you blast him....you guys have no idea what he might be capable of GET A GRIP and support the Hogs instead of being so miserable all the damn time

Thank you for actually showing that there are some intelligent posters on Hogville, but logic isn't allowed here.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Cullen Fitzpatrick on February 05, 2014, 01:55:03 pm
Go ahead and list some facts about why he's so great. And because Bert hired him doesn't qualify.

I'll wait, thanks.
1. His entire defensive coaching experience does not consist of posting on a message board.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Hogarusa

Hogville has a lot of DC experts.  I dont see why the hate is there for the hire, besides having expectations that are unrealistic.  I like to see young coordinators hired, they typically are good recruiters and high energy.  If he is the guy, I wish him good luck.  Not sure why so many of you are concerned or frustrated with the timing, i havent heard a recruit say the reason they arent going to Arkansas was due to not knowing the DC.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Kevin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 05, 2014, 01:52:18 pm
Please let me indulge one more fact: THAT team beat us at RRS when he was the DC. We scored 26 points and lost. That was the most points his D gave up that year.

i am with you. i was just saying most people on here don't want facts.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

KMB90

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 05, 2014, 01:56:10 pm
What is silly of you is to overlook the recruiting impact he could have.  He has been a HC so I think he could handle the DC position just fine...

Oh I have not doubt that the guy could recruit, but assuming that a lifetime DL coach who was a figure head HC for half of a season is going to come in and turn around a terrible defense as DC is just plain ignorant.

The real Hogules

Quote from: KMB90 on February 05, 2014, 01:53:43 pm
Ed Orgeron has never been a DC!! How does that make him more qualified??

Oh that's right...you knew his name before all this started and you are smarter than every head coach in the country. How silly of me to forget.

Smarter than every coach in the country?
What program(s) is CBB having to fend off to bring Robb Smith on as his DC?
If this truly is CBB's choice as DC, I wish him as much luck landing Robb Smith as he had luring Solomon Thomas to Fayetteville, with ST's sister and girlfriend already on campus!

This is beyond mind boggling!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Hogsenburg

Quote from: KMB90 on February 05, 2014, 01:56:44 pm
Thank you for actually showing that there are some intelligent posters on Hogville, but logic isn't allowed here.

you are correct......the only thing we have room for is malarkey around HV no intelligence allowed

bigbadhog

Quote from: KMB90 on February 05, 2014, 01:58:14 pm
Oh I have not doubt that the guy could recruit, but assuming that a lifetime DL coach who was a figure head HC for half of a season is going to come in and turn around a terrible defense as DC is just plain ignorant.

IYHO
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

wachhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2014, 01:47:33 pm
Reputation as what?  One that hasn't been able to consistently field great defenses in decades? 
You do remember that this name surfaced weeks ago?  Shortly before BB announced  that he would wait until after signing day to make his hire?  Seems like the deal was already done to me and that BB knew it would be underwhelming--to fans, recruits, the media.  But, what do I know.

Hogsenburg

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 05, 2014, 01:57:00 pm
1. His entire defensive coaching experience does not consist of posting on a message board.

+1

BossHawgOutlaw

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 05, 2014, 01:52:18 pm
Please let me indulge one more fact: THAT team beat us at RRS when he was the DC. We scored 26 points and lost. That was the most points his D gave up that year.

The Mighty Kent State beat them in 2012 35-23 at Rutgers.  check your facts buddy

KMB90

Quote from: The real Hogules on February 05, 2014, 01:58:43 pm
Smarter than every coach in the country?
If this truly is CBB's choice as DC, I wish him as much luck landing Robb Smith as he had luring Solomon Thomas to Fayetteville, with ST's sister and girlfriend already on campus!

This is beyond mind boggling!

Oh good grief. You know as well as I do that BB and staff did all they could to get Thomas to call the hogs. The kid wanted to go to Stanford. It was a dream of his. He took the ACT 6 times to make sure he had the score to get in. There was nothing more the staff could've done.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: wachhog on February 05, 2014, 01:59:27 pm
You do remember that this name surfaced weeks ago?  Shortly before BB announced  that he would wait until after signing day to make his hire?  Seems like the deal was already done to me and that BB knew it would be underwhelming--to fans, recruits, the media.  But, what do I know.

What do I care when his name surfaced?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BossHawgOutlaw on February 05, 2014, 01:48:17 pm
In 2012 Rutgers lost to Kent State, Pitt, Louisville, and Virgina Tech.  They beat Tulane, Howard, Hogs, Conn, Syracuse, temple, army, and Cincinnati.  I'm not impressed at all. Those rankings are against terrible competition.

Really? Louisville and VT were not terrible. Pitt was decent but not great. Try again.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on February 05, 2014, 01:57:54 pm
i am with you. i was just saying most people on here don't want facts.

I know.

grayhawg

Quote from: The real Hogules on February 05, 2014, 01:55:27 pm
Well, if this hiring is true CBB is approaching Nutt like status!

How about since you're not exactly killing it on the recruiting trail, you hire someone who can?
Not a no name that has exactly ONE years experience as a DC.

I've tried to get behind CBB. I hated the hire (of CBB), but really liked the assistants that he assembled on his coaching staff.

Now, some of those coaches I liked have found other jobs and CBB is back filling with "aint been there, ain't done that" types.

If this is his selection, then I'm extremely happy CBB waited until the ink was dry on the LOI's before sharing this news with the general public.
I guess I missed it, has CBB verified the hire?

LZH

Quote from: The real Hogules on February 05, 2014, 01:58:43 pm

Exactly - right on the money.  +1000.

Tusks

Shannon DC'd for what 8 years and had a national top 10 defense 7 out of 8.  What more did he need to do to qualify as DC for the Hogs?  That's NATIONAL top 10, not conference top 10.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

KMB90

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 05, 2014, 01:59:19 pm
IYHO

No, it's not an opinion. Could the guy have done the job as DC? Who knows? Maybe he could. We will never know. But assuming that he could do the job just because you've heard his name is ignorant and that's a fact.

Hogsfan1981

Did they wait till after signing day was concluded to announce his hire because they thought it would negatively impact recruiting?

If so he must have been low on the list.

I'm sure he will get it done here...

The real Hogules

Quote from: KMB90 on February 05, 2014, 02:01:31 pm
Oh good grief. You know as well as I do that BB and staff did all they could to get Thomas to call the hogs. The kid wanted to go to Stanford. It was a dream of his. He took the ACT 6 times to make sure he had the score to get in. There was nothing more the staff could've done.

I'm not knocking the staff for not landing Thomas, my point was that I hope Robb Smith is not our guy!

They didn't land Thomas and I sincerely hope that the Robb Smith saga turns out the same exact way.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

KMB90

Quote from: tusked on February 05, 2014, 02:03:54 pm
Shannon DC'd for what 8 years and had a national top 10 defense 7 out of 8.  What more did he need to do to qualify as DC for the Hogs?  That's NATIONAL top 10, not conference top 10.

Think for a moment. I agree with you that Shannon is more qualified than Smith. If Shannon wanted the DC job and BB passed him over, and Shannon has known this was gonna happen for weeks, do you really think he would remain on this staff?

bigbadhog

Quote from: KMB90 on February 05, 2014, 02:04:03 pm
No, it's not an opinion. Could the guy have done the job as DC? Who knows? Maybe he could. We will never know. But assuming that he could do the job just because you've heard his name is ignorant and that's a fact.

Except for I didn't think he could do the job because I had heard of his name.  I knew he had not been a DC would give him a shoot to get his recruiting expertise on staff.  That's smart NOT ignorant :)

BossHawgOutlaw

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 05, 2014, 02:02:13 pm
Really? Louisville and VT were not terrible. Pitt was decent but not great. Try again.

V Tech was 7-6 in 2012 and Pitt was 6-7. Please check your facts and try again

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

I'm sure in the long run this hire may very well work out.. but after coming up just shy of winning the final 4 games of last year, then coming up a little short on NSD, this hire stings a little more than it should.

The Boar War

Quote from: Otto Von Pigsmark on February 05, 2014, 01:55:11 pm
Newsflash people: Arkansas has been bad at defense for quite a few years now. These "big name" coaches that you guys throw around here don't want to come to a place where defense has been this bad and unimportant.....that would be an unwise career decision. Also give RS a freakin chance before you blast him....you guys have no idea what he might be capable of GET A GRIP and support the Hogs instead of being so miserable all the damn time

Couldn't have said it better.  It's the reason Ash left and the reason why big name dc's aren't lining up for the position.  No one wants to be held responsible for a d where we just didn't recruit 2/3 of the positions for 4 years.

DoctorSusscrofa

You seem to be assuming that qualifications is the key to why Shannon was not made the DC. That may not be the case.  He was plenty qualified, but he truly may not have wanted that spot.  He may be satisfied where he is.  He may think he's only going to be here one more year.  He may have some philosophy differences with CBB that make being a position coach a better fit for him.  We don't know the answer to that.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BossHawgOutlaw on February 05, 2014, 02:01:20 pm
The Mighty Kent State beat them in 2012 35-23 at Rutgers.  check your facts buddy

I didn't say they won EVERY game they should have did I. MOST teams lose games they shouldn't. I remember when a LOT of teams beat other teams they had no business on paper beating. FACTS you say? I did check them. Kent State finished 11 - 3 that year. YES I know it wasn't in a BCS conference but they can only play who's on the schedule.

P.S. Kent State lost to a team from Arkansas that year.................................

PorkRinds

It's likely that if Shannon isn't the DC, Shannon didn't want to be the DC. 

Atlhogfan1

Move our campus to Miami. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

adam gase
LSU (Graduate Assistant)
LSU (Recruiting Assistant)
Detroit Lions (Scouting Assistant)
Detroit Lions (Off. Assistant)
Detroit Lions (QB Coach)
San Francisco 49ers (Off. Assistant)
Denver Broncos (WR Coach)
Denver Broncos (QB Coach)
Denver Broncos (Off. Coordinator)

the broncos just played in the super bowl, and broke every record. but, the hogville expert would have never hired this guy
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

mmhogs17

Do you guys know anything about Robb Smith?

7 Total Years as a defensive coordinator, 5 of those years his defense has been ranked in the top 10 scoring defenses.

2002 Maine - 2nd
2003 Maine - 4th
2005 Maine - 6th
2008 Maine - 2nd
2012 Rutgers - 4th

Look at the 2012 Rutgers defensive rankings, then go look at 2013 after he left.

bpoecell

I wish some of our more vocal posters were smart enough to admit that they know nothing about hiring a coordinator, and understand that recruiting is more than saying "Hi, I'm Randy Shannon. I know you mainly know me as a position coach, or from my failed head coaching stint at Miami, but I was a successful defensive coordinator a decade ago. You know, when you were seven or so years old and too young to pay attention to that kind of thing. Ready to sign yet?".

It's not as simple as:

1. Consult with your fan base on what "name" they want most
2. Hire said "name"
3. Get all the recruits

mmhogs17

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 05, 2014, 01:56:10 pm
What is silly of you is to overlook the recruiting impact he could have.  He has been a HC so I think he could handle the DC position just fine...

He was what JLS was to us in 2012. He didn't, and has never called a single play.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mmhogs17 on February 05, 2014, 02:22:14 pm
Do you guys know anything about Robb Smith?

7 Total Years as a defensive coordinator, 5 of those years his defense has been ranked in the top 10 scoring defenses.

2002 Maine - 2nd
2003 Maine - 4th
2005 Maine - 6th
2008 Maine - 2nd
2012 Rutgers - 4th

Look at the 2012 Rutgers defensive rankings, then go look at 2013 after he left.

I didn't even think to post his Maine stats. Thanks!

Darren DeLoach

Do you really believe that if Shannon was passed over that he would have stayed?? You guys have an agenda, and common sense or facts are escaping you all.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

mmhogs17

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 05, 2014, 02:25:52 pm
Do you really believe that if Shannon was passed over that he would have stayed?? You guys have an agenda, and common sense or facts are escaping you all.

Yep yep.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Quote from: bpoecell on February 05, 2014, 02:24:31 pm
I wish some of our more vocal posters were smart enough to admit that they know nothing about hiring a coordinator, and understand that recruiting is more than saying "Hi, I'm Randy Shannon. I know you mainly know me as a position coach, or from my failed head coaching stint at Miami, but I was a successful defensive coordinator a decade ago. You know, when you were seven or so years old and too young to pay attention to that kind of thing. Ready to sign yet?".

It's not as simple as:

1. Consult with your fan base on what "name" they want most
2. Hire said "name"
3. Get all the recruits

I have not seen anybody in this thread, and generally this board, over simplify the hiring and recruiting process. So by creating someone else's viewpoint out of thin air, and then attacking them for it, you aren't bringing any thing new or productive to the conversation. As fans, none of us know exactly the complexities behind these two processes. That doesn't mean, however, that the we are not entitled to forming an educated opinion on the matter.

I'm sure the new DC will be fine, and most likely way better than our DC's in the past. A negative initial reaction doesn't equate to over simplifying everything.

mmhogs17

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 05, 2014, 02:24:58 pm
I didn't even think to post his Maine stats. Thanks!

His 2004 defense went into Starkville and held Miss St to 7 points in a upset win.

bigbadhog

Quote from: mmhogs17 on February 05, 2014, 02:24:39 pm
He was what JLS was to us in 2012. He didn't, and has never called a single play.

EO would kick your butt for comparing him to JLS :)

bpoecell

Quote from: FrankCourtneyNicodemus on February 05, 2014, 02:30:25 pm
I have not seen anybody in this thread, and generally this board, over simplify the hiring and recruiting process. So by creating someone else's viewpoint out of thin air, and then attacking them for it, you aren't bringing any thing new or productive to the conversation. As fans, none of us know exactly the complexities behind these two processes. That doesn't mean, however, that the we are not entitled to forming an educated opinion on the matter.

I'm sure the new DC will be fine, and most likely way better than our DC's in the past. A negative initial reaction doesn't equate to over simplifying everything.

Then you're not reading the posts. Most of it amounts to "Wah, I wanted this guy/never heard of that guy". There are very few educated opinions on the matter, and most of them are attacked for not joining in on the whining.

LZH

Quote from: mmhogs17 on February 05, 2014, 02:30:47 pm
His 2004 defense went into Starkville and held Miss St to 7 points in a upset win.

Oh my Lord....

BorderPatrol

That doesn't mean, however, that the we are not entitled to forming an educated opinion on the matter.

Educated? Have you not been reading some of this bull? I mean, one poster actually said he waited until after signing day because he was "embarrassed".

No, it just equates to agendas and titty baby attitudes.

bp

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Kevin on February 05, 2014, 02:17:39 pm
adam gase
LSU (Graduate Assistant)
LSU (Recruiting Assistant)
Detroit Lions (Scouting Assistant)
Detroit Lions (Off. Assistant)
Detroit Lions (QB Coach)
San Francisco 49ers (Off. Assistant)
Denver Broncos (WR Coach)
Denver Broncos (QB Coach) Peyton Manning
Denver Broncos (Off. Coordinator) Peyton Manning

the broncos just played in the super bowl, and broke every record. but, the hogville expert would have never hired this guy

Fixed it for ya.
Sorry couldn't resist

Kevin

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 05, 2014, 02:38:55 pm
Fixed it for ya.
Sorry couldn't resist

who do you think helped prepare him for the games

ldfergu

Im not really upset with the hire.  Although, I wish Butch would have gotten more of a look.  Either way does anyone have a legit answer for why they waited so long to hire an unemployed coach?  Its just kind of odd

RazorPiggie

Why does everyone assume that Randy Shannon wanted the DC job?

Ya'll do realize that a position coach recruits more than a HC or coordinator?

If Shannon wanted to be a DC he could have already had a job. Him still being here and us possibly naming a new DC not named Shannon is telling me he just wants to be a position coach right now and wants to recruit more. But ya'll spin it however you want. 

razorbackfaninar

No offense, but if you haven't seen anybody on this board oversimplifying then you don't know what the word means. Read through any thread and a majority of the posts will be vastly over simplifying everything from why Bobby Petrino should still be here, (or not) to "why don't we just recruit a bunch of five stars out Of Texas?" Most of the posters, myself included, don't know squat about running even a highschool football program much less a major D1 football program.  But we all break down every issue as if it were black and white because we don't know the detail in that gray area, and we aren't ever going to. Some people on here are better than others, and some are waaaaay worse, but we all oversimplify almost every issue we discuss on here.