Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bo's tweet

Started by hoofer, February 04, 2014, 05:03:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoofer

This would be depressing.........

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo  7m
Don't sleep on Robb Smith as new Arkansas DC.

VT HOG

TrueBlue

Quote from: hoofer on February 04, 2014, 05:03:50 pm

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo  7m
Don't sleep on Robb Smith as new Arkansas DC.

I think I WANT to sleep....

Dwight_K_Shrute

Color me not impressed if this is the result of the big wait unless Smith comes in as a position coach or DC in title only with RS as Asst HC in charge of defense. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

bootzilla

Well that tweet came after his interview with Butch Davis.  Butch probably has better info than anyone if it's Robb Smith.

VT HOG

Bo gets information like this in exchange for saying the right things about Bielema and Long. This would be a huge let down, why? Randy Shannon is already on the staff.

yraciv

I just don't get why we would be waiting for Robb Smith. His season has been over since December. Logic tells you that he would have been signed, sealed, and delivered way before national signing day if that is the case. I actually have no problem with taking Smith. He put guys in the NFL at Rutgers, and had some pretty stout defenses. That being said, the Randy Shannon thing just makes sense for the delay.  Unless we've got a candidate who was coaching in the Super Bowl, I have no other reason to know why we waited. Smith would be fine, but not splashy and would leave me scratching my head for the delay.

hoofer

Quote from: bootzilla on February 04, 2014, 05:14:01 pm
Well that tweet came after his interview with Butch Davis.  Butch probably has better info than anyone if it's Robb Smith.

exactly. butch basically said he would have taken the DC job and that the Hogs had their guy. with all the excitement that tomorrow could hold this would be a dagger.

Professor Psychosis

This would be underwhelming.  Kinda like settling after our initial targets didn't work out.

PorkerOinker

Where is Porkatarian with some info???
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Bebop

Quote from: hoofer on February 04, 2014, 05:20:02 pm
exactly. butch basically said he would have taken the DC job and that the Hogs had their guy. with all the excitement that tomorrow could hold this would be a dagger.

I hope it is Shannon otherwise I'll be underwhelmed. Judging between Odom and Smith, I would rather have Odom.

yraciv

So let me get this straight, Butch said he would have taken the job but we already had our guy? No offence to Robb Smith and Randy, but I'd take him over both in a second.

Pork Twain

Smith, Odom and Shannon would all be solid hires even though Hogville masters might night like it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Bebop

Quote from: yraciv on February 04, 2014, 05:23:55 pm
So let me get this straight, Butch said he would have taken the job but we already had our guy? No offence to Robb Smith and Randy, but I'd take him over both in a second.

Between Butch and Randy, I'll be okay with either. They both have better experience than Smith, though.

yraciv

Quote from: Chris D on February 04, 2014, 05:28:16 pm
Between Butch and Randy, I'll be okay with either. They both have better experience than Smith, though.

Same here! My order is Butch, Randy, Smith, and then Odom of those mentioned, but really don't think we can go wrong.  Just don't get the holdup if it's anyone other than Shannon.  I also think, there is too much smoke to Odom joining when he has suddenly become a twitter presence for all our coaches and recruits.

Bebop

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 04, 2014, 05:25:47 pm
Smith, Odom and Shannon would all be solid hires even though Hogville masters might night like it.

I'm sure, but between the candidates, one will be better than the others.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Shannon DC at Miami high level BCS program.
During Shannon's six years as UM's defensive coordinator, his defenses ranked as follows in total defense nationally:

2001 – 6th
2002 – 7th
2003 – 2nd
2004 – 28th
2005 – 4th
2006 – 7th

Rob Smith
1 year Coordinator experience at mid level BCS program

Ok now take that experience out of the equation and look at recruiting prowess.

Randy Shannon is a nationally known name with a proven record of recruiting success and a South Florida pipeline.  Go into a recruit's house and say "Hi I'm Randy Shannon" the recruit knows who you are and so do his parents.

Go into a recruit's house and say "Hi, I'm Rob Smith" recruit is not sure if you are an assistant principal at his school, an accountant, church deacon, or chiropractor.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

weresoclose

Quote from: yraciv on February 04, 2014, 05:23:55 pm

This cannot be real. 

Bebop

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 04, 2014, 05:31:52 pm
During Shannon's six years as UM's defensive coordinator, his defenses ranked as follows in total defense nationally:

2001 – 6th
2002 – 7th
2003 – 2nd
2004 – 28th
2005 – 4th
2006 – 7th

Rob Smith

Randy Shannon is a nationally known name with a proven record of recruiting success and a South Florida pipeline.  Go into a recruit's house and say "Hi I'm Randy Shannon" the recruit knows who you are and so do his parents.

Go into a recruit's house and say "Hi, I'm Rob Smith" recruit is not sure if you are an assistant principal at his school, an accountant, church deacon, or chiropractor.

Exactly.

My guesses as to why Randy MAY NOT be our DC:

1. He wasn't chosen. This would be comical and outright horrible if he was looked over.

2. He doesn't want it. Even though the contractual stipulations with Miami is done, Shannon likes being a LB coach.

3. He let BB know that he is going to try to get a HC after this coming season. Upon hearing this, BB gets someone who is going to stay longer.

I hope he is our next DC. If not, I hope it is point 2 and not something else.

Mitch C

Is it me or is there something about the phrase "Bo's tweet" that sounds a little gay?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Daddy Pork on February 04, 2014, 05:41:28 pm
Is it me or is there something about the phrase "Bo's tweet" that sounds a little gay?
Who was the first person to get their hands on Bo's Tweet?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 04, 2014, 05:46:47 pm
Who was the first person to get their hands on Bo's Tweet?

I believe that would be Bo

yraciv

2001 – 6th
2002 – 7th
2003 – 2nd
2004 – 28th
2005 – 4th
2006 – 7th

Rob Smith

I must have missed where if Randy isn't our DC he is no longer on our staff. Hi I'm Robb Smith and this is my Co DC or LB coach Randy Shannon. We run the University of Arkansas defense together, and have both had a lot of success putting players in the league.

Bebop

Quote from: yraciv on February 04, 2014, 05:52:06 pm
I must have missed where if Randy isn't our DC he is no longer on our staff. Hi I'm Robb Smith and this is my Co DC or LB coach Randy Shannon. We run the University of Arkansas defense together, and have both had a lot of success putting players in the league.

Maybe it could be Co-DC.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: yraciv on February 04, 2014, 05:52:06 pm

I didn't say that, just said if in an either or situation based on resume or name recognition who is the much better get to the point it's not even close or worthy of even being a Co situation.

Trystran

Wait wait wait wait... so we're sitting here with the opportunity to have BOTH Shannon and Davis (who have worked together in the past) on our staff at the SAME TIME and we didn't interview him because "we had our guy."

...someone please tell me this is NOT accurate. PRETTY PLEASE.

RazorBassin

RazorBassin

Heard Butch on Bo's show.  Have to admit he and Shannon on the same team as defensive coaches sounds good to me!  He definitly said he would take the job, but we have our man.

YouCrawl_IQuall

I trust the opinion of this staff more than I just anyones opinion on here.....except mine. im always right

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kevin

I would rather have Shannon, but smith would be an excellent hire
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

grayhawg

Quote from: YouCrawl_IQuall on February 04, 2014, 06:16:32 pm
I trust the opinion of this staff more than I just anyones opinion on here.....except mine. im always right
Okay, I think. ???

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: VT HOG on February 04, 2014, 05:19:15 pm
Bo gets information like this in exchange for saying the right things about Bielema and Long. This would be a huge let down, why? Randy Shannon is already on the staff.

When you become the head coach then you can hire whoever you want.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wildhog

VT HOG for head coach!
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

lechon

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

Danny J

Quote from: RazorBassin on February 04, 2014, 06:13:52 pm
Heard Butch on Bo's show.  Have to admit he and Shannon on the same team as defensive coaches sounds good to me!  He definitly said he would take the job, but we have our man.
Then we should let "our man" go and tell him we have a new man cuz I can tell you for a fact that he would do the same if he were offered a better job. I would be VERY VERY upset if that were the case.

Porkatarian

Quote from: PorkerOinker on February 04, 2014, 05:22:42 pm
Where is Porkatarian with some info???

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 31, 2014, 02:18:39 pm
What's Robb Smith doing these days?

Porkatarian out...

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

online-with-swine

LZH

Quote from: RazorBassin on February 04, 2014, 06:13:52 pm

I'm not 100% sure I believe that he would actually take the DC job if offered.  Gotta remember that Butch was passed over (or not even considered) for the head coaching job, so it's not impossible to me that he's just throwing a jab at Long & Co.

And fwiw, I don't know why some of you seem so surprised if this Smith guy is the man.....I haven't seen anything that would indicate this program is headed in the right direction.

Kevin

You don't want anyone on your staff that lots of fans would want as head coach
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: KnilesKankle on February 04, 2014, 06:45:40 pm
Then why the delay in announcing it?
That's what I'm thinking.  The man is currently unemployed.  What reason would they have for not announcing him?  I would think though, that we would not have gotten Shannon to come here as a position coach without promising him the DC job or assistant HC job.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Porkatarian

Quote from: KnilesKankle on February 04, 2014, 06:45:40 pm
Then why the delay in announcing it?

They have been very tight lipped about the DC search.  I do know CBB was extremely on both Smith and Odom after first interviews.  With that being said all signs point to Randy Shannon being named DC.   Could co-DC's be on the horizon?  Could ICE be hired in an administrative role? We'll find out soon enough.  Personally, I'm ready for signing day!

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

hoglady

Did Davis really say that?
That's a big disappointment if true - he's a great coach.
That said it is Coach B's football future on the line and it's his staff - so he has every right to hire whomever he wants.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

LZH

Quote from: hoglady on February 04, 2014, 06:57:54 pm
Did Davis really say that?

If he did, I still doubt that he meant it.  It could be the remnants of sour grapes, imo.  He knows saying "I would have taken the job, but they didn't even ask me", is the same as saying "ya'll could have had me but your coach/AD hired this no-name guy"....because he knows that would be the first thing thousands of fans would bring up the first time our defense played poorly.

Just a thought.

Arkansas Fan

Could this just be a smokescreen?

Hoggish1

Go into a recruit's house and say "Hi, I'm Rob Smith" recruit is not sure if you are an assistant principal at his school, accountant, church deacon, or a chiropractor.

All I know is if Smith is named, Ill need a chropractor, because I'll be bent all out of shape...!

online-with-swine

This has been the most "interesting" DC search that I can remember.  If Odom is not on staff in some role then I would like to somehow shake his hand and congratulate him on the twitter troll job he pulled on our fan base.

hawgXi

Personally, l think randy really stuck his neck out to bag up some of these s. Fla recruits this year.

Plus there was an enormous amt of continuity with recruiting overall after ash bailed out.

Add renewed interest from solly t. & all signs point to CRS moving up to DC.

I'm stickin with this.

I'm cutting odom out because nobody would keep recruiting these kids right up to NSD & then quit on um & take another job.

Smith would be the logical choice but would be a better fit under RS as his position coach fir DB

hoglady

Regarding Davis, that may not have been a solely Beliema decision even if he ever entertained the idea of talking with him.
I'd think even the possibility a Butch Davis hire would have to go through Long.
(And not because of any NCAA stuff)
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality