Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DEFENSE WINS TITLES.

Started by hogsanity, February 02, 2014, 08:04:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

grim_sleeper

Seattle had a great defense,  but they also had a good offense.  In fact,  I don't remember then getting much anywhere running -  most of it was good passing. I don't think defense alone won the game -  they had a good passing game going.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: Hawgon on February 03, 2014, 09:50:35 am
By the way, what does a good defense have to do with Arkansas football under Bert?  Talent aside, that was the least disciplined and worst schemed defense I've ever seen at Arkansas.
The good news is that Robert Petrino is gone.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

bphi11ips

Quote from: grim_sleeper on February 03, 2014, 10:58:50 am
Seattle had a great defense,  but they also had a good offense.  In fact,  I don't remember then getting much anywhere running -  most of it was good passing. I don't think defense alone won the game -  they had a good passing game going.

Seattle rushed for 135 yards.  That is 2 yards short of their season average of 136.8, which was 4th in the NFL.  They rushed 29 times and threw 26 passes, completing 18 for 206 yards.  That is 4 yards over their 202 ypg average which ranked 26th in the NFL.

Russell Wilson had a nice, efficient game.  The 135 yds rushing and 4.7 per carry average set up the play-action.  Classic football.       
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

superior_wang

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2014, 12:54:26 am
The tone of the game was set with the opening kickoff.  Holliday had not been trusted to touch the ball in the playoffs.  Decker had been the main returner. Holliday had cost the Broncos the Indy game in the reg season.  But for some reason they let him return the opening kickoff. 

Seattle looked like a college team in that they played loose from the start.  The Broncos looked stiff and orchestrated.  I would have normally loved what Seattle did but I am a Broncos fan.  Too many mistakes.  The opening kickoff, the int, the trip on 1st and 10 and the game was over at that point.

Decker is the punt returned for most of last half of season, holliday, for some unbelievable reason, was still allowed to be the kickoff return guy. i believe he fumbled 5 kickoffs this season, not counting the one he had last night. if hes a  bronco next season, ill shave offf my eyebrows. he is a disaster waiting to happen.

superior_wang

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 03, 2014, 09:04:25 am
Exactly.

When is the SEC going to institute its player draft so all the teams will have the same shot at signing talent?  And since it's customary in a draft for the team with the worst record to get the first draft pick, we're going to get either the #1 or #2 rated player available...

Apples to hand grenades.

yeah this thread is generally a backhanded swipe at BP.    guess having no offense and no defense (bb)...is somehow better than having an offense and no defense(bp).. WTH ever

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: superior_wang on February 03, 2014, 11:26:28 am
Decker is the punt returned for most of last half of season, holliday, for some unbelievable reason, was still allowed to be the kickoff return guy. i believe he fumbled 5 kickoffs this season, not counting the one he had last night. if hes a  bronco next season, ill shave offf my eyebrows. he is a disaster waiting to happen.

Hopefully your friends don't hold you to that one... It would be hard to get out of.... just sayin
This is my non-signature signature.

superior_wang

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 03, 2014, 11:30:57 am
Hopefully your friends don't hold you to that one... It would be hard to get out of.... just sayin

well according to hogville , i have no  friends apparently....

btw hope Bruno Mars sent  a nice check to James Brown for taking his dance moves, hair style  and well generally his whole act.

bphi11ips

Quote from: superior_wang on February 03, 2014, 11:29:13 am
yeah this thread is generally a backhanded swipe at BP.    guess having no offense and no defense (bb)...is somehow better than having an offense and no defense(bp).. WTH ever

I think eastex is suggesting we will never have a defense the equal of most of our SEC opponents because there will always be a talent gap as long as recruiting is the method for building a roster in college football. 

Do you agree? 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: superior_wang on February 03, 2014, 11:35:12 am

btw hope Bruno Mars sent  a nice check to James Brown for taking his dance moves, hair style  and well generally his whole act.

Yeah whats up with that?

Someone needs to make an animated gif of the Saturday Night Live Eddie Murphy-James Brown parody with Bruno Mars' head on EM's body...Would be excellent...

superior_wang

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 03, 2014, 11:37:06 am
Yeah whats up with that?

Someone needs to make an animated gif of the Saturday Night Live Eddie Murphy-James Brown parody with Bruno Mars' head on EM's body...Would be excellent...

i think you are on to something!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: superior_wang on February 03, 2014, 11:39:21 am
i think you are on to something!

I occasionally have an original thought. I've decided to stay away from pugilism on HV... Just here to make friends and give the occasional opinion.... With as little emotion as possible... Easier that way

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 03, 2014, 09:45:54 am
hogsanity did not present an absolute premise.

In your terms, the better team usually has the best defense. 

Yep.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 03, 2014, 11:41:51 am
I occasionally have an original thought. I've decided to stay away from pugilism on HV... Just here to make friends and give the occasional opinion.... With as little emotion as possible... Easier that way

Anytime you offer an opinion here you need to be prepared to turn the other cheek . . . unless pugilism is your thing. 

superior_wang

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 03, 2014, 11:46:00 am
Anytime you offer an opinion here you need to be prepared to turn the other cheek . . . unless pugilism is your thing.

last time i heard the word pugilism was maybe back in young guns II... i think someone claimed to be a pugilist.? lol

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: superior_wang on February 03, 2014, 11:47:03 am
last time i heard the word pugilism was maybe back in young guns II... i think someone claimed to be a pugilist.? lol

yeah...that was Charlie... Been using the word for quite a while... It describes a loud minority of posters on Hogville.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 03, 2014, 11:46:00 am

Some people escalate the discussions as quickly as possible instead of agreeing to disagree....Sometimes the Scots-Irish in me thinks I can reach through the screen and jackknife powerbomb those individuals... But I'm getting the hang of it now..

bphi11ips

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 03, 2014, 11:48:52 am
yeah...that was Charlie... Been using the word for quite a while... It describes a loud minority of posters on Hogville.

We had an Alma Sonic challenge issued just last night.

superior_wang

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 03, 2014, 11:48:52 am

loud minority i assume is the pro petrino, anti jeff long faction...?

i assume the masses  worship JLong and BB...

bphi11ips

Quote from: superior_wang on February 03, 2014, 11:57:25 am

It is actually the bombastic crowd who suggest the masses worship anyone. 

Inhogswetrust

Good catch on the dance moves. I know it isn't football related. Someone at our watch party said "who does moves like that"? I immediately responded with "James Brown". Of course she is under thirty and gave us a "who's that" look!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

EastexHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 03, 2014, 11:36:45 am
I think eastex is suggesting we will never have a defense the equal of most of our SEC opponents because there will always be a talent gap as long as recruiting is the method for building a roster in college football. 

That's exactly what I am saying.  Alabama has the #1 class in America this year.  They have seven defensive recruits who are rated in the top ten in the country at their positions...and on top of that they have two four star juco defensive linemen who have offers from everyone.  Their classes the last four years were rated (according to Scout) as #4, #2, #7, and #4. 

During the same span every one of LSU's classes has been rated in the top ten.

We don't have equal talent.  Never have, probably never will.  A more innovative approach seems to me to be more likely to produce given our circumstances.

superior_wang

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 03, 2014, 12:00:21 pm
Good catch on the dance moves. I know it isn't football related. Someone at our watch party said "who does moves like that"? I immediately responded with "James Brown". Of course she is under thirty and gave us a "who's that" look!

ha yeah only us geezers know i reckon.. was she blonde? lol

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: superior_wang on February 03, 2014, 11:47:03 am

Heck I admit I had to look it up. I wish he would have just said fighting.......................

HogsBalls

Let's not forget special teams.

Inhogswetrust

Worshiping isn't the same as understanding he has a job to do and he does it. Just because someone understands why Long fired BP doesn't mean we always agree with him and worship him.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: YouCrawl_IQuall on February 03, 2014, 08:52:30 am
This doesn't even make sense. Demaryius Thomas broke the record for most receptions in the Super Bowl and scored their only TD, are you saying he did that without trying?
He's like a black Wes Welker - just like any 2 star recruit coming to the razorbacks. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

the_kosher_pig

touch down dance?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 03, 2014, 12:00:06 pm

Nice reply.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: superior_wang on February 03, 2014, 12:03:19 pm
ha yeah only us geezers know i reckon.. was she blonde? lol

I think she's more of a different hair color of the month club member............................One of those book smart but NO common sense types.

superior_wang

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 03, 2014, 12:00:06 pm

danged.. hogville mustve been playing Lumosity over the weekend.. weve gotten pugilist and bombastic out of a single thread. dang ya'll!

Großer Kriegschwein

Worship is a strong word. I respect the both of them and the the decisions they've been forced to make. But hey, theres more than one way to look at everything...

There is a small group of very loud 1) pro-petrino people 2) pro-malzahn people 3) fanatical BB fans and an even smaller group of....4) Nutt fans....

Being obnoxious about anything is exactly the same no matter the subject... obnoxious

superior_wang

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 03, 2014, 12:38:01 pm
Worship is a strong word. I respect the both of them and the the decisions they've been forced to make. But hey, theres more than one way to look at everything...

There is a small group of very loud 1) pro-petrino people 2) pro-malzahn people 3) fanatical BB fans and an even smaller group of....4) Nutt fans....

Being obnoxious about anything is exactly the same no matter the subject... obnoxious

i honestly didnt think there were still Hootie fans around.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: superior_wang on February 03, 2014, 12:11:55 pm
danged.. hogville mustve been playing Lumosity over the weekend.. weve gotten pugilist and bombastic out of a single thread. dang ya'll!
shaggy?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: superior_wang on February 03, 2014, 12:39:02 pm
i honestly didnt think there were still Hootie fans around.

There are...just have to be very very quiet and you can hear them in the walls at night like mice and they scatter when you turn the lights on like coackroaches. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 03, 2014, 12:00:32 pm
That's exactly what I am saying.  Alabama has the #1 class in America this year.  They have seven defensive recruits who are rated in the top ten in the country at their positions...and on top of that they have two four star juco defensive linemen who have offers from everyone.  Their classes the last four years were rated (according to Scout) as #4, #2, #7, and #4. 

During the same span every one of LSU's classes has been rated in the top ten.

We don't have equal talent.  Never have, probably never will.  A more innovative approach seems to me to be more likely to produce given our circumstances.

I agree with you but don't believe that means Arkansas won't compete well in the future, or that we won't field salty defenses, because we have in the past. 

Arkansas has beaten LSU and Alabama on the field (I excluded Alabama's three forfeits) 33% of the time since joining the SEC.  We have been more successful than that against the rest of the SEC West. 

There is really no reason to believe that the 2-6 and 0-8 campaigns of 2012 and 2013 are anything more than historic lows.  Auburn sandwiched an 0-8 conference record between national championship games. 

We'll be back. 

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Hawgon on February 03, 2014, 08:29:56 am
Outstanding defenses with staggering talent win championships.  Good defenses with lesser talent merely get beaten.

How do you have a good defense with "lesser talent"? Defense will keep a team in a game. Period.

Hawgon

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 03, 2014, 04:09:34 pm
How do you have a good defense with "lesser talent"? Defense will keep a team in a game. Period.

BYU is an example of a pretty good fundamentally sound defense with talent that wouldn't start at your average Texas 5A high school. 

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Hawgon on February 03, 2014, 04:12:30 pm
BYU is an example of a pretty good fundamentally sound defense with talent that wouldn't start at your average Texas 5A high school.

And I bet they'd beat every Texas 5A school.

Hawgon

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 03, 2014, 04:13:43 pm
And I bet they'd beat every Texas 5A school.

Sure, because they are well coached.  But put them up against an equally well coached offensive team with better talent, and they will get torched.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Hawgon on February 03, 2014, 04:20:24 pm
Sure, because they are well coached.  But put them up against an equally well coached offensive team with better talent, and they will get torched.

Yeah, Texas with their four and five-star roster sure "torched" little ole BYU.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 03, 2014, 04:09:34 pm

Florida was first or second in the SEC in all defensive categories...rush defense, pass defense, total defense, and scoring defense.  They failed to score more than 20 points in any of their last seven games...and lost all of them.

Mississippi State has tried the power running game/stout defense model for as long as I can remember.  They've lost 21 of their last 22 against LSU.  They have averaged less than 7 points per game against Alabama during Saban's time and seldom looked like they would get to that lofty total, but maybe they take satisfaction out of typically holding Bama below 40.  Moral victories...

Hawgon

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 03, 2014, 04:21:14 pm
Yeah, Texas with their four and five-star roster sure "torched" little ole BYU.

What part statement that said "well coached" did you not understand?

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Hawgon on February 03, 2014, 04:24:57 pm
What part statement that said "well coached" did you not understand?

I understand the concept of "well coached" completely. The fact is BYU dismantled and destroyed Texas on offense.

Your anti-Bielema agenda is showing.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 03, 2014, 04:24:55 pm
Florida was first or second in the SEC in all defensive categories...rush defense, pass defense, total defense, and scoring defense.  They failed to score more than 20 points in any of their last seven games...and lost all of them.

Mississippi State has tried the power running game/stout defense model for as long as I can remember.  They've lost 21 of their last 22 against LSU.  They have averaged less than 7 points per game against Alabama during Saban's time and seldom looked like they would get to that lofty total, but maybe they take satisfaction out of typically holding Bama below 40.  Moral victories...

Both those teams have no offense, there's your answer.

HF#1

It reminded me of an Arkansas/Alabama game.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

arkjay19

I don't know how many more times it needs to be proven.  Every year we hear about some exciting offense at Oregon, New England, Oklahoma, Denver, etc.  And then a top defense shuts them down.

Give me a top defense over a top offense every single day of the week.

superior_wang

Quote from: arkjay19 on February 03, 2014, 04:35:51 pm
I don't know how many more times it needs to be proven.  Every year we hear about some exciting offense at Oregon, New England, Oklahoma, Denver, etc.  And then a top defense shuts them down.

" i drew up that smoke draw brotha!"

those teams win 90% of their games. something to be said for them.  much more entertaining football than a 10-7 game imo.

bigbadhog

Quote from: arkjay19 on February 03, 2014, 04:35:51 pm

Heard of the St. Louis Rams under Dick Vermeil and Mike Martz?
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

bphi11ips

The worst case of cult worship I have seen on this Board is by far "Bobby Petrino: The Most Interesting Man Alive".  That thread went on for pages for days. The man-love was creepy.

weresoclose

Honestly, are we comparing a top5 all time NFL defense beating Denver as an excuse for our program's rebuilding in college? 

NFL buys ALL their players (and drafts them with or without their consent).  College recruits.  1000% apples and oranges.