Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DEFENSE WINS TITLES.

Started by hogsanity, February 02, 2014, 08:04:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

we are all getting another reminder tonight.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

thefisher

EXACTLY!  This Superbowl championship has been won by the defense of Seattle. Love it!

Same for the NCAA as the NFL
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

thefisher

Manning sets a Superbowl record for the number of passes completed. However his team, the Broncos, are blown out by 35 points to a run first defensive team.  Huh...
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Pathogen

In before this becomes a CBB vs. CBP thread.

Bubba's Bruisers

The most completions, but not much yardage.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

thefisher

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 02, 2014, 08:46:38 pm
The most completions, but not much yardage.

Agreed. However, he did have more yards than the quarterback of the team that just beat them by 35. That is a sobering thought.

NorthDallas40

Awesome post. Please tweet it to Long and Bret. I mean how hard is it to sign LBers when they'd be guaranteed playing time if not starting?

3kgthog

I wondered when the Playoff Peyton we all know and love would show up. There he was! Talk about a terrible showing. Greatest ever? Uh, no.

Hoggish1

Quote from: thefisher on February 02, 2014, 08:24:06 pm
EXACTLY!  This Superbowl championship has been won by the defense of Seattle. Love it!

Same for the NCAA as the NFL

Exactly, and we are building such a defense!

LRHawg

Awful game and epic choke job from the Broncos. Did they even get off the bus? Welker was the only player who seemed to give a crap they were there.

GoHogs1091

It was good to see some decent Defense played tonight by Seattle.  The Seattle Defense though was aided by a garbage offensive game plan by Denver.  Seattle defensively showed very quickly in the game that Denver's Offense was not going to get a whole lot in the middle of the field, but Denver then never really attacked the sidelines (particularly deep on the sidelines) with curl patterns, out patterns, and hitch-and-goes.  Denver basically just kept on going to the middle of the field with short crossing/short slant patterns, and Seattle only had to play a one-dimensional type of coverage to defend really only the middle of the field.  Plus, Denver's mediocre rushing attack that they have gotten away with during the season caught up with Denver tonight.

I am still not convinced though that Seattle's Secondary is as good as it is made out to be.  They almost lost to the Houston Texans (with Houston's terrible QB play at the time) earlier in the season.   

Atlhogfan1

The tone of the game was set with the opening kickoff.  Holliday had not been trusted to touch the ball in the playoffs.  Decker had been the main returner.  Holliday had cost the Broncos the Indy game in the reg season.  But for some reason they let him return the opening kickoff. 

Seattle looked like a college team in that they played loose from the start.  The Broncos looked stiff and orchestrated.  I would have normally loved what Seattle did but I am a Broncos fan.  Too many mistakes.  The opening kickoff, the int, the trip on 1st and 10 and the game was over at that point. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bobcat ball

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2014, 12:54:26 am
The tone of the game was set with the opening kickoff.  Holliday had not been trusted to touch the ball in the playoffs.  Decker had been the main returner.  Holliday had cost the Broncos the Indy game in the reg season.  But for some reason they let him return the opening kickoff. 

Seattle looked like a college team in that they played loose from the start.  The Broncos looked stiff and orchestrated.  I would have normally loved what Seattle did but I am a Broncos fan.  Too many mistakes.  The opening kickoff, the int, the trip on 1st and 10 and the game was over at that point. 

Sea chickens D was definitely on to what Denver was trying to do.
WOO PIG

atekido

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 02, 2014, 09:00:20 pm
I wondered when the Playoff Peyton we all know and love would show up. There he was! Talk about a terrible showing. Greatest ever? Uh, no.

He is still the best and it isn't even close.   swap him and Wilson...  and the score would most likely have been 70-0.  Seattle's D line won this game. 

The Kig

Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2014, 08:04:28 pm
we are all getting another reminder tonight.

BS...  nothing to do with the Sea Chickens defense.   Denver was so overmatched it reminded me of Bama/ Notre Dame.  Complete ineptitude by the My Little Pony team.   SEA Chicken defense didnt win a game when Denver gave alltheir unis to a a high school team.

We never got a chance to see the # 1 Defense play the # 1 off3nse...Densever' s offense missed the 0lane ride to NY. 

Worst super bowl since the Bufflalo $hitstorm. 
Poker Porker

Pigdiana Jones

If I was gm of Denver I'd cut that center tomorrow.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Kevin

Stoud up the middle and long, speed athletes, on the Edges and in the secondary
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 02, 2014, 09:00:20 pm
Because of playoffs?  How many super bowls did Dan Marino win? 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

Inhogswetrust

February 03, 2014, 07:29:15 am #18 Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:39:47 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: thefisher on February 02, 2014, 08:50:12 pm
Agreed. However, he did have more yards than the quarterback of the team that just beat them by 35. That is a sobering thought.

Why is that sobering?  The only thing sobering about that is it shows we have a long way to go before the Hogs can compete for any type of championship. I heard the announcers on the radio say that before last night that 4 times the team with the best offense and the team with the best defense have played in the Super bowl. The defensive team won 3 out of 4. I think now it is 4 out of 5. THINK about that. IF you want to win championships you have a much better chance with a top defense than offense.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

smb

February 03, 2014, 07:38:23 am #19 Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:47:24 am by smb
You have to admit from the first play of the game Denver looked like they were very concerned about Seattle's defense.
GeorgiaHOG

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 03, 2014, 12:14:10 am
It was good to see some decent Defense played tonight by Seattle.  The Seattle Defense though was aided by a garbage offensive game plan by Denver.  Seattle defensively showed very quickly in the game that Denver's Offense was not going to get a whole lot in the middle of the field, but Denver then never really attacked the sidelines (particularly deep on the sidelines) with curl patterns, out patterns, and hitch-and-goes.  Denver basically just kept on going to the middle of the field with short crossing/short slant patterns, and Seattle only had to play a one-dimensional type of coverage to defend really only the middle of the field.  Plus, Denver's mediocre rushing attack that they have gotten away with during the season caught up with Denver tonight.

I am still not convinced though that Seattle's Secondary is as good as it is made out to be.  They almost lost to the Houston Texans (with Houston's terrible QB play at the time) earlier in the season.   
because the D was in his face all night....he didn't have time to wait for patterns to develop

PP

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: salebow on February 03, 2014, 01:41:44 am
If I was gm of Denver I'd cut that center tomorrow.

Why. Just because he snapped it for a safety? IF you want to cut anybody on the O line you would have to cut ALL of them because Seattle's D line were on Manning ALL day from all angles and positions.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 03, 2014, 07:29:15 am

I heard the announcers on the radio say that before last night that 4 times the team with the best offense and the team with the best defense have played in the Super bowl. The defensive team won 3 out of 4. I think now it is 4 out of 5.

Glad I scrolled through to see if anyone else mentioned this before I posted it.  THAT is a sobering thought. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hawgon

Outstanding defenses with staggering talent win championships.  Good defenses with lesser talent merely get beaten.

OLDHOG

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgon on February 03, 2014, 08:29:56 am
Outstanding defenses with staggering talent win championships.  Good defenses with lesser talent merely get beaten.

Kind of depends on the other team as well doesn't it.............................

bphi11ips

Further, it's almost axiomatic that championship teams with great defenses field balanced offenses with strong running games.  Pete Carroll said in an interview before the game that Seattle would "run the ball a lot". 

Seattle threw 26 times for 206 yards and rushed 29 times for 135 yards.  They didn't turn the ball over once.

That's the way you do it.   

Hogfaniam

The NFL  passing yardage leader for the year has never won a Super Bowl.  0-48.  Some years never even made the bowl.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_year_by_year.htm
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Pork Twain

Actually the better team usually wins the title and it is not always the team with the best defense.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 03, 2014, 08:46:03 am
The NFL  passing yardage leader for the year has never won a Super Bowl.  0-48.  Some years never even made the bowl.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_year_by_year.htm

THAT is amazing. All the fling it all over the field loving guys on here should scurry back into their little fantasy football league games.............................

YouCrawl_IQuall

Quote from: LRHawg on February 02, 2014, 09:07:12 pm
Awful game and epic choke job from the Broncos. Did they even get off the bus? Welker was the only player who seemed to give a crap they were there.

This doesn't even make sense. Demaryius Thomas broke the record for most receptions in the Super Bowl and scored their only TD, are you saying he did that without trying?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 03, 2014, 08:47:22 am
Actually the better team usually wins the title and it is not always the team with the best defense.

Here's a question for you. IF you were a GM and were building a team and could be given only one of the top ranked one's which would you choose? Defense or Offense.   

Bebop

Generally, if there is a good defensive team going against a good offensive team, the defensive team will win.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawgon on February 03, 2014, 08:29:56 am

Exactly.

When is the SEC going to institute its player draft so all the teams will have the same shot at signing talent?  And since it's customary in a draft for the team with the worst record to get the first draft pick, we're going to get either the #1 or #2 rated player available...

Apples to hand grenades.

goodguytex

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 03, 2014, 08:52:30 am
Here's a question for you. IF you were a GM and were building a team and could be given only one of the top ranked one's which would you choose? Defense or Offense.
Give me a top defense, and go from there. Bielema should use his relationship with Wilson to get a chance to bring his coaching staff to a Seahawks training camp.. Especially bring his defensive coaches, and see if they can pick up a few tips. And Bielema and Shannon do know defense, no doubt about that, but more knowledge and learning from the best football has is always a good thing.

donk

But they won't let you mug the receive in college.

YouCrawl_IQuall

Quote from: donk on February 03, 2014, 09:15:03 am
But they won't let you mug the receive in college.

you must not watch many LSU games?

bphi11ips

hogsanity did not present an absolute premise.

In your terms, the better team usually has the best defense. 

Hawgon

By the way, what does a good defense have to do with Arkansas football under Bert?  Talent aside, that was the least disciplined and worst schemed defense I've ever seen at Arkansas.

Hoggish1

Quote from: thefisher on February 02, 2014, 08:50:12 pm

Jimmy Johnson said takeaways would be the biggest factor in the game and he was on the money. 

That is some kind of ball hawking group that Pete Carroll has up there.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: thefisher on February 02, 2014, 08:44:13 pm
Manning sets a Superbowl record for the number of passes completed. However his team, the Broncos, are blown out by 35 points to a run first defensive team.  Huh...

They were dinky, short tosses.   Did you see the stats?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

YouCrawl_IQuall

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 03, 2014, 09:54:27 am
Jimmy Johnson said takeaways would be the biggest factor in the game and he was on the money. 

It was all Cliff Avril though, he forced those bad passes. He should have won MVP over that LB imo. He hit Manning on the INT returned for a TD, which forced the bad pass. He was up in Mannings grill on the first INT of the game also and forced the errant pass

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 03, 2014, 09:54:27 am

Jimmy should know... it's the "Arkansas" connection.    The only 3 football coaches to win both collegiate national championships and Super Bowls were assistant coaches at Arkansas at one time (two of them were also Arkansas players)..... WPS !!!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

YouCrawl_IQuall

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 03, 2014, 09:57:07 am
They were dinky, short tosses.   Did you see the stats?

for real. he had like 35 completion for 280 yards. For all the people that give darn to Tom Brady for throwing it short, Peyton has been doing the same thing but for some reason he doesn't get the same amount of criticism. Peyton rarely throws the ball down the field and relies on YAC by Thomas, Welker, and Decker to put up his yards.

TeedupHigh

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 03, 2014, 08:44:15 am
Further, it's almost axiomatic that championship teams with great defenses field balanced offenses with strong running games.  Pete Carroll said in an interview before the game that Seattle would "run the ball a lot". 

Seattle threw 26 times for 206 yards and rushed 29 times for 135 yards.  They didn't turn the ball over once.

That's the way you do it.   

That $hit is so boring, it will never work!  LMAO!  Today it's all about offense and throwing the rock all over the field.  That is the only way you will ever win!  LOL!  DEFENSE and a strong run game wins 99 times out of 100!!!

TeedupHigh

Quote from: Hawgon on February 03, 2014, 09:50:35 am
By the way, what does a good defense have to do with Arkansas football under Bert?  Talent aside, that was the least disciplined and worst schemed defense I've ever seen at Arkansas.
That coach who ran that defense is gone!!

TeedupHigh

Quote from: thefisher on February 02, 2014, 08:44:13 pm

You got to throw it all over the field to win don't you no!  throwing wins games not defense and everyone here in HOGVILLE understands this!!  LOL

Hawgon

Quote from: TeedupHigh on February 03, 2014, 10:00:54 am
That coach who ran that defense is gone!!

If he was so bad, why was he ever hired in the first place?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hawgon on February 03, 2014, 09:50:35 am

Excuse us while we talk football on the Monday after the Super Bowl in a forum called Monday Morning Quarterback.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 03, 2014, 10:04:53 am
Excuse us while we talk football on the Monday after the Super Bowl in a forum called Monday Morning Quarterback.

+1
This is my non-signature signature.