Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Future of the O-line

Started by Razorback4, February 01, 2014, 08:16:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback4

I can't help but get a little excited when I see the guys we have on the O-line next year and then guys coming in with the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes. CBB is starting to build an O-line like he had at Wisconsin and I can't wait to see them perform together. Below is some of our returning lineman and their class for 2014.

Coming back next year:

- Brey Cook (Sr.) 6'7, 330
- Mitch Smothers (Jr.) 6'4, 315
- Austin Beck (Jr.) 6'7, 305
- Grady Ollison (Jr.) 6'5, 307
- Marcus Danenhauer (Jr.) 6'5, 308
- Reeve Koehler (So.) 6'4, 336
- Denver Kirkland (So.) 6'5, 345
- Dan Skipper (So.) 6'10, 317

And guys coming in:
2014:

- Sebastian Tretola: 6'4, 315, also had offers from Florida, Oklahoma, TCU, and Texas Tech
- Jovan Pruitt: 6'5, 295, also had offers from Arizona St, Baylor, Florida, Ole Miss, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Texas
-Frank Ragnow: 6'6, 288, also had offers from California, Florida State, Miami, Ole Miss, Missouri, Nebraska, and Wisconsin
-Brian Wallace: 6'6, 304: #96 recruit in the 2014 class according to Rivals, #9 tackle in 2014 class, #1 player in Missouri, had offers from Alabama, Georgia, Missouri, Nebraska, and Ohio St.

2015:

- Colton Jackson: 6'6, 291
- Zach Rogers: 6'1, 300: Listed by rivals as #1 Center in 2015 class, had offers from Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas, Texas Tech, and UCLA.

This offensive line could be amazing in the next couple of years and these players continue to improve and develop. I for one am excited. :razorback:

Seebs

Reeve will be a RS freshman. But I share your excitement.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

three hog night

A great Oline is being built that will rival Korte, Koch lines with Holtz/Beightol.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Großer Kriegschwein

Depth at the O-line is critical to competing against Alabama and LSU... Looks like a bright future, are any of them fast enough to play safety?
This is my non-signature signature.

three hog night

Any QB is going to salivate when they look at the protection this oline will create.   RB's and WR's will do the same.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

redeye

It has me excited also, but why does everyone leave off the Alabama offer for Pruitt?

PGTIGERHOG

Left off probable starter at center - Sr. Luke Charpentier, along with So. Boyd who was on the two-deep last year at guard and Sr. Stringer.

The O-line will be a strength moving forward.

Foshodo

had no idea Zach Rogers was rated that highly... nice. will he be playing at all his senior year with his injury?

secneahog

I'm assuming Reeve received a medical shirt or Redshirt.

I'm high on Cordale Boyd & Charp
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 01, 2014, 09:42:46 pm
Depth at the O-line is critical to competing against Alabama and LSU... Looks like a bright future, are any of them fast enough to play safety?

;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Razorback4 on February 01, 2014, 08:16:48 pm
I can't help but get a little excited when I see the guys we have on the O-line next year and then guys coming in with the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes. CBB is starting to build an O-line like he had at Wisconsin and I can't wait to see them perform together. Below is some of our returning lineman and their class for 2014.

Coming back next year:

And guys coming in:
2014:

- Sebastian Tretola: 6'4, 315, also had offers from Florida, Oklahoma, TCU, and Texas Tech
- Jovan Pruitt: 6'5, 295, also had offers from Arizona St, Baylor, Florida, Ole Miss, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Texas
-Frank Ragnow: 6'6, 288, also had offers from California, Florida State, Miami, Ole Miss, Missouri, Nebraska, and Wisconsin
-Brian Wallace: 6'6, 304: #96 recruit in the 2014 class according to Rivals, #9 tackle in 2014 class, #1 player in Missouri, had offers from Alabama, Georgia, Missouri, Nebraska, and Ohio St.

2015:

- Colton Jackson: 6'6, 291
- Zach Rogers: 6'1, 300: Listed by rivals as #1 Center in 2015 class, had offers from Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas, Texas Tech, and UCLA.

This offensive line could be amazing in the next couple of years and these players continue to improve and develop. I for one am excited. :razorback:

You also forgot McClure, a two time Juco AA who was redshirted last year and has two years of eligibility remaining and is a pretty big boy in his own right.
Go Hogs Go!

buldozer

This seems to be our brightest area for the future....very exciting!

Capt. Hamm

root_hawg

Line up the road graders and let's roll

bphi11ips

Offensive linemen are the most underappreciated players in football.  The average fan sees them as fungible.  Any 6'6" 330 pounder will do.  The athleticism of offensive linemen is discounted.

It takes years to develop offensive lines.  The reads and schemes are complicated, which is why the best offensive linemen are usually highly intelligent.  That, plus the physical maturation that is still going on between 18 and 23 is the reason 4th and 5th year players usually make up the best lines.  Although it takes patience to build a line, it can be perpetuated almost indefinitely if properly maintained.  Nebraska may be the best example of a program that competed at a higher level than should have been expected because of decades of great offensive lines, but Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida and LSU have all sustained success with outstanding lines.  Arkansas has had its share of great offensive lines over the years.

I can't remember a time when Arkansas had more talent in the offensive line than it will have after Wednesday.  If there is any reason to be optimistic about the Hogs' future, it is what is developing up front on offense.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

lahawg1

I bet those guys could clean out a Golden Corral buffet..... That kind of a OL will make Collins & JWill very wealthy men....

root_hawg

Had a restaurant back in college that had an "if you can eat this in a hour, it's free"  ... After me and a few of the football team got wind out of it, it made for a lot of free meals!  Didn't take them long to do away with that special!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: secneahog on February 02, 2014, 02:06:48 am
I'm assuming Reeve received a medical shirt or Redshirt.

I'm high on Cordale Boyd & Charp
Medical redshirt for dislocated patella for Reeve Koehler.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ChitownHawg

Quote from: root_hawg on February 02, 2014, 11:05:44 am
Had a restaurant back in college that had an "if you can eat this in a hour, it's free"  ... After me and a few of the football team got wind out of it, it made for a lot of free meals!  Didn't take them long to do away with that special!

Yep I saw that in Remember the Titans!  Which one was you? ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Tim Harris

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 02, 2014, 07:26:04 am
You also forgot McClure, a two time Juco AA who was redshirted last year and has two years of eligibility remaining and is a pretty big boy in his own right.

I thought I saw something on twitter where he said this would be his Sr year.

I know he played 2 years at a JC and I was thinking he RS at Kansas or KState before that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 02, 2014, 05:42:03 pm

I know he played 2 years at a JC and I was thinking he RS at Kansas or KState before that.

Maybe he was. He came out of the 2010 class but had no scholarship offer to Kansas. He may very well have gone to Kansas as a walk-on but he wasn't listed on their roster. Walk on, no scholarship, no playiing time, not officially on the team, no need to actually R/S him...I wonder if the NCAA would actually count that as a year of eligibility?

I guess he transferred to JC the spring after that first fall or maybe after the following spring and played two years. I guess if you count a walk on year and not even being offcially on the team, this coming year would be his Senior year of elgibility. Not sure what his actual eligibility is at this time. His bio in the media guide never mentions him being at Kansas at all but he did spend the 2011 and 2012 seasons at Butler CC so the 2010 season is missing and could have been his walk-n year at Kansas.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 02, 2014, 05:42:03 pm

Yeah, he tweeted something like a get to come back for my Sr yr??

three hog night

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 02, 2014, 10:30:48 am
Offensive linemen are the most underappreciated players in football.  The average fan sees them as fungible.  Any 6'6" 330 pounder will do.  The athleticism of offensive linemen is discounted.

It takes years to develop offensive lines.  The reads and schemes are complicated, which is why the best offensive linemen are usually highly intelligent.  That, plus the physical maturation that is still going on between 18 and 23 is the reason 4th and 5th year players usually make up the best lines.  Although it takes patience to build a line, it can be perpetuated almost indefinitely if properly maintained.  Nebraska may be the best example of a program that competed at a higher level than should have been expected because of decades of great offensive lines, but Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida and LSU have all sustained success with outstanding lines.  Arkansas has had its share of great offensive lines over the years.

I can't remember a time when Arkansas had more talent in the offensive line than it will have after Wednesday.  If there is any reason to be optimistic about the Hogs' future, it is what is developing up front on offense.

I couldn't agree more

Großer Kriegschwein

Absolutely. If we can win at the LOS then many things open up and I'll take Alex or JW against a LB or Safety in the open field. Sounds good to me.
This is my non-signature signature.

three hog night

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 03, 2014, 12:51:36 pm
Absolutely. If we can win at the LOS then many things open up and I'll take Alex or JW against a LB or Safety in the open field. Sounds good to me.

It also gives BA a better chance to succeed while we wait on his back ups to develop.   Our offense should be much better.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: lahawg1 on February 02, 2014, 10:36:50 am
I bet those guys could clean out a Golden Corral buffet..... That kind of a OL will make Collins & JWill very wealthy men....

[attachment deleted by admin]

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: three hog night on February 01, 2014, 09:34:11 pm
A great Oline is being built that will rival Korte, Koch lines with Holtz/Beightol.

Greg Koch was a JFB recruit; never played a down for Holtz. The Hogs used a great run of OLs recruits to go from .500 teams to 10-2 in JFB's next-to-last team, and transition into the early Holtz years (30-5-1 in Holtz first 3 years here) .

LaFargue, Skinner, Kolenda, Koch, Thielmann, Heim, L Harris, MLewis.......all JFB recruits

And, heck yes, when you control the LOS, the play-calling gets infinitely easier.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 03, 2014, 01:26:43 pm

Who is that second from the left? Is that McClure? That kid has some "guns".
Go Hogs Go!

three hog night

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 03, 2014, 01:28:37 pm
Greg Koch was a JFB recruit; never played a down for Holtz. The Hogs used a great run of OLs recruits to go from .500 teams to 10-2 in JFB's next-to-last team, and transition into the early Holtz years (30-5-1 in Holtz first 3 years here) .

LaFargue, Skinner, Kolenda, Koch, Thielmann, Heim, L Harris, MLewis.......all JFB recruits

And, heck yes, when you control the LOS, the play-calling gets infinitely easier.

thanks for the correction.  At least you can say we are developing something that will rival that group.

Tim Harris

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 03, 2014, 01:35:08 pm
Who is that second from the left? Is that McClure? That kid has some "guns".

Cook, Charp, Koehler, Dannehauer ??? and Skipper

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hawgmasta

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 03, 2014, 03:50:56 pm
Can Cook play the post?

Seriously. . . Let's throw kirkand and skipper in there as well.

At least on paper, this could be the best group of O-linemen Arkansas has ever had.  I expected BB to bring in linemen on both sides of the ball and he is.  He loves the lines and what a coach loves he does well.

We're gonna need these Guys cause listen here.  Right from the Tulsa World this date:  Six of ESPN.coms top 8 have signed with the SEC.  25 of the top 50 with the SEC.  15 of those are 5 star and 5 of those have signed with BAMA.  They think BAMA's O-line recruits this year could be the best college personnel for that position ever, all time. 

Zcoach

Reminds me of a quote that Kennedy had about Jefferson with a Hog slant.  The offensive line now and recruits are the greatest OL classes together except for when Shawn Andrews and Jason Peters were on the field together.

Also hard to beat any line with a Bequette on it.  But the Koch, LaFarge, Skinner, group was a good one.  Do not forget Mabry, Apolskis, Crawford 1988-89 group

Big Boi

Quote from: Razorback4 on February 01, 2014, 08:16:48 pm

Coming back next year:

Outside of Skipper and Kirkland that's a list full of underachievers. Not bashing those are the facts.