Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

La'Michael Pettway of Nashville

Started by ml2200, February 01, 2014, 01:18:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City Hog

Quote from: redeye on February 01, 2014, 03:02:42 pm
So, we should just automatically offer every player that Alabama offers and change our offense/defense to match?

No, I don't see it that way.  Pettway will probably receive an offer, but I'm sure there's a good reason why we haven't extended one, yet.  Then again, we may never extend one, he may sign with Alabama, and we may consider ourselves "lucky" 2 years down the road.  I have no idea, but I'm not going to criticize our coaches, merely because they haven't offered an instate recruit, who already has offers from other big schools.

Having said that, I hope we offer Pettway, he accepts and becomes an All-American at Arkansas.

Since playing like Bama seems to be CBB's goal:  yes.

TeedupHigh

Quote from: Music City Hog on February 01, 2014, 02:04:30 pm
So Gragg, Hill, and Pettway are all in Tuscaloosa right now.   That doesn't make me feel warm and cozy. 

Are we running out of time on these three??????

hollywood hog

Quote from: TeedupHigh on February 01, 2014, 03:16:54 pm

Not starting out as the leaders for in-state kids is not good at all.  If we don't sign Gragg I'm worried we lose all 3.  And I stone cold guarantee Pettway will get an offer.  There is absolutely no reason to drag our feet on this.  It will happen. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Call me naive, but what is the purpose of making in state kids come to camp before getting offered, but not out of state kids?  Is it because of the suspect in state completion?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ShadowTheHedgehog

Today is Bama's junior-day. We will offer him when he comes here. NSD is next week and the coaches are pretty busy finishing off the class for 2014 right now. After NSD they will ramp up on 2015 recruits and start inviting players and extending offers. I don't think our coaching staff will extend an offer just because Bama does without first doing an in-depth evaluation of the player.

whosiskid

Good lord, calm down people.  Get some perspective. We will sign this kid. We beat Bama for most of the kids we want. Did the Tide have a prayer for Bijon Jackson? Or Darrin? Or Ty Story? Or any of 30 other top kids? Their strategy is to identify ones they think they might have a shot  at.  Sometimes the kids just want a n offer. We get most of these kids.  We get the smart ones. Who do you think will have the better career? Hunter Henry or Tenpenny? Bijohn Jackson or Josh Frazier? I consider Frazier's career over. Tenpenny's ended in HS. The more Bama recruits in Arkansas and has nothing to show for it but kids who could have been stars in Fayetteville but are failures for the tide, the better. Don't sweat this stuff.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Razorhawg09

We have drug our feet so badly on this one. He's the best player in the state next year and one of the best I've ever seen come through the state. Seen him play live. And best I can tell he's gonna be pushed to a competitor.

Wahls

February 01, 2014, 04:05:46 pm #57 Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:23:28 pm by Wahls
Quote from: secneahog on February 01, 2014, 01:43:16 pm
I believe he's 6'2 200 maybe.  He looks big on film. His hands, feet. Looks like he can grow a Lil still.

He is not 200 lbs and he is at least 6'4". I've seen him in person multiple, multiple times. I'm 6'3" and he is taller than me.

Think Mekale McKay with worse hands, less agility, better straight line speed, and the physicality of a cross between Broderick Green and Alex Tejada. Go watch his film for more information. There's a reason why he doesn't play out wide that much. If he's being covered by someone even remotely within his athletic range, he can't beat press.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

CDBHawg

Quote from: redeye on February 01, 2014, 03:02:42 pm
So, we should just automatically offer every player that Alabama offers and change our offense/defense to match?

Wouldn't hurt. What's there to lose?

Wahls

Quote from: CDBHawg on February 01, 2014, 04:09:28 pm
Wouldn't hurt. What's there to lose?

So the solution is to out-Bama, Bama at their own game with inferior players?
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Wahls on February 01, 2014, 04:16:08 pm

What?

redeye

Quote from: Music City Hog on February 01, 2014, 03:16:11 pm

Since playing like Bama seems to be CBB's goal:  yes.

I don't think you can say that we play so much like Alabama, that we need the same recruits.  We're still quite different on both sides of the line.

Last year, an Alabama player was arrested with 4 other players, in connection with a robbery, and was dismissed from the team.  That player was a 4 star DL.  I'm glad we never offered him, and coincidentally, his last name was Pettway.  I doubt there's any relation, and it wouldn't matter if there were, but I don't mind our coaches weeding out the bad apples before they hit campus.  Hopefully that's not the case with Pettway, but we don't know that.

redeye

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on February 01, 2014, 03:52:11 pm
We have drug our feet so badly on this one. He's the best player in the state next year and one of the best I've ever seen come through the state. Seen him play live. And best I can tell he's gonna be pushed to a competitor.

Of course you would join this conversation and spice it up with pessimism.  Where were you when Ragnow committed?

aar0n

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on February 01, 2014, 03:52:11 pm

Care to put your money where your mouth is?

Luke STYwalker

My "inside source" (and i rarely have one), says he would like to go to LSU.   That was several months ago, when only nebraska had offered.  Don't know if he has any interest in bama or not.

rpmflash

It looks like Bama evaluated him before the offer. 247 shows him at Bama's Jr. Day today.

http://247sports.com/Player/LaMichael-Pettway-23768

Music City Hog

Quote from: redeye on February 01, 2014, 04:23:10 pm
I don't think you can say that we play so much like Alabama, that we need the same recruits.  We're still quite different on both sides of the line.

Last year, an Alabama player was arrested with 4 other players, in connection with a robbery, and was dismissed from the team.  That player was a 4 star DL.  I'm glad we never offered him, and coincidentally, his last name was Pettway.  I doubt there's any relation, and it wouldn't matter if there were, but I don't mind our coaches weeding out the bad apples before they hit campus.  Hopefully that's not the case with Pettway, but we don't know that.

Wha?

CDBHawg

Quote from: redeye on February 01, 2014, 04:23:10 pm

Talk about reaching.

Music City Hog

Darren DeLoach

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

bobcat ball

Long ways to go. He'll get his offer and he'll make his choice. If he calls the hogs great if not then we will get someone else.

WOO PIG

Darren DeLoach

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: TeedupHigh on February 01, 2014, 03:16:54 pm
Yeah, going to go ahead and sign a year early so as of this Tuesday they're "toast". CBB and staff obviously don't realize the 'Bama is allowed to recruit by a whole different set of rules. We didn't offer soon enough and so we've lost all three. Way it always works (NOT).

Hatleyville454

Yep, originally from Alabama and Bama fan...I just never worried about it because I didn't anticipate Bama offering...oh well

secneahog

Quote from: Wahls on February 01, 2014, 04:16:08 pm

Our offense will open up more this year with better qb, wr play.
I didn't know bama always has freshman all American TEs.

Chaney and Bielema want to spread it out more, and they will.

I can't stand when ppl say we are trying to be like Bama.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

GEO-HOG

Quote from: TeedupHigh on February 01, 2014, 03:13:07 pm
This Staff just don't understand recruiting!  They seem to be spending to much time in Florida, Minnesota, Louisiana, Georgia, all those states that we have no chance to get kids from!!  Why they spend so much time out of state is crazy!  They just don't get it.  Maybe you should make phone call to Bret and Pittman and get them straighten out!!   LOL AND Smh  sarcasm

Really dude? You got that view point from my post?  I can easily see that reading comprehension is not one of your strengths.   Therefore, I will try to keep my statements as simply put as possible so you do not make more unintelligent posts. 

My post was to bring out that we have many great in state prospects.  One of which is a TE, a very important position in our system, that is being shown great interest by Bama and Saban.  My point about CBB being down their a lot is to show the recruit we are very serious about our instate players.  I don't think they get that vibe when we send Lunney and are not the first to offer.  Maybe it takes us longer to evaluate? Who knows.  The coaches want to build a fence, but We have not seen that yet and more SEC coaches are showing interest in our state (see Freeze and Gus).   My point, which I thought was easy to understand, was that maybe next year there should be a higher emphasis on in state recruits.  We have more highly rated players than usual so we would not need to go out of state.

Here's where I found one of your strengths:  you are very good at spinning a comment into something completely different than what was intended.  Congrats. 

I never stated that the coaches were not great recruiters or that they were wasting time on out of state recruits.  I am very happy with the way recruiting is going.  I just wanted to bring up an opinion and have a discussion with fellow hog fans.  Next time I will go into great detail  with my posts. 

I was raised to not laugh at people that can't help their lack of intelligence.  So I'll just put  SMH

redeye

Quote from: CDBHawg on February 01, 2014, 04:57:43 pm
Talk about reaching.

So, it's reaching to suggest a good reason why our coaches haven't offered, but it's not reaching to think they're just lazy?

Can't say I agree.

GEO-HOG

Quote from: hollywood hog on February 01, 2014, 03:25:26 pm
Not starting out as the leaders for in-state kids is not good at all.  If we don't sign Gragg I'm worried we lose all 3.  And I stone cold guarantee Pettway will get an offer.  There is absolutely no reason to drag our feet on this.  It will happen.

This is what I was trying to get at earlier.  Not being the first offer is going to come back to bite us eventually.  I'm not sure why we take so long to "evaluate" AR kids.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GEO-HOG on February 01, 2014, 06:07:31 pm
This is what I was trying to get at earlier.  Not being the first offer is going to come back to bite us eventually.  I'm not sure why we take so long to "evaluate" AR kids.

We've been told that in state kids have to come to camp to be evaluated and then possibly earn a scholarship.  Out of state kids I suppose are not necessarily subject to this rule.  Not sure why it's this way.  Maybe the UA is suspicious of the level of competition for AR HS football.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

GEO-HOG

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2014, 06:11:10 pm
We've been told that in state kids have to come to camp to be evaluated and then possibly earn a scholarship.  Out of state kids I suppose are not necessarily subject to this rule.  Not sure why it's this way.  Maybe the UA is suspicious of the level of competition for AR HS football.

Ahh not a fan of that rule.

hawgwash

Quote from: GEO-HOG on February 01, 2014, 06:07:31 pm
We've already offered the Agim kid from Hope and he is only a sophomore.  So maybe there's a reason we've not offered Pettway yet?

GEO-HOG

Quote from: hawgwash on February 01, 2014, 06:22:04 pm
We've already offered the Agim kid from Hope and he is only a sophomore.  So maybe there's a reason we've not offered Pettway yet?

Could be some underlying issues.  Just odd other big time schools are interested.

ricepig

Quote from: GEO-HOG on February 01, 2014, 06:28:44 pm
Could be some underlying issues.  Just odd other big time schools are interested.

Pretty sure they have a plan, I'll let them decide when and where to offer.

GEO-HOG

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2014, 06:37:59 pm
Pretty sure they have a plan, I'll let them decide when and where to offer.

I'm going to let them decide too.  But in the mean time, hopefully there are some posters that actually want to discuss things. 

ricepig

Quote from: GEO-HOG on February 01, 2014, 07:14:42 pm
I'm going to let them decide too.  But in the mean time, hopefully there are some posters that actually want to discuss things. 

We have offers out to 6 WR's for 2015 right now, KJ Hill is the only "small" one. I think they will offer, maybe on our Jr day or days, however they do it.

GEO-HOG

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2014, 07:21:38 pm
We have offers out to 6 WR's for 2015 right now, KJ Hill is the only "small" one. I think they will offer, maybe on our Jr day or days, however they do it.

Thanks. Guess we should look at how many we have out this year.  Is Pettway considered small?

ricepig

Quote from: GEO-HOG on February 01, 2014, 07:24:33 pm
Thanks. Guess we should look at how many we have out this year.  Is Pettway considered small?
He's 6'2" isn't he? I don't know, I thought that was what was said.

ricepig

hoglady

Quote from: whosiskid on February 01, 2014, 03:46:15 pm
Good lord, calm down people.  Get some perspective. We will sign this kid. We beat Bama for most of the kids we want. Did the Tide have a prayer for Bijon Jackson? Or Darrin? Or Ty Story? Or any of 30 other top kids? Their strategy is to identify ones they think they might have a shot  at.  Sometimes the kids just want a n offer. We get most of these kids.  We get the smart ones. Who do you think will have the better career? Hunter Henry or Tenpenny? Bijohn Jackson or Josh Frazier? I consider Frazier's career over. Tenpenny's ended in HS. The more Bama recruits in Arkansas and has nothing to show for it but kids who could have been stars in Fayetteville but are failures for the tide, the better. Don't sweat this stuff.

I look at it a little different that you on Bama.
Is Bama really upset if Tenpenney or any other Arkansas kid stays buried on their depth chart? Someone has to be there.
He's kept a potential star away from any other SEC teams.
It's a win win for Bama whether the kid ever plays a down.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

redeye

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2014, 07:35:10 pm
Hill at 6'1" is the smallest, I thought he was a little shorter.
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Offers

Seems like someone said he was actually around 6'4.  May have been in this very thread, but not sure.

Quote from: hoglady on February 01, 2014, 08:43:53 pm
I look at it a little different that you on Bama.
Is Bama really upset if Tenpenney or any other Arkansas kid stays buried on their depth chart? Someone has to be there.
He's kept a potential star away from any other SEC teams.
It's a win win for Bama whether the kid ever plays a down.

I completely agree with this and suspect it's one reason we're seeing more concentration on Arkansas players.  Also why I hope to see more success in SEC-W states, even though they can afford to lose some.

hview

It's understandable that the coaching staff is recruiting a certain caliber of player to build this program. I applaud them for this and they're doing a great job. If there are talented in state kids that are comparable to players they are recruiting out of state I feel pretty confident this staff will offer them. It's a good method of keeping the fan base united behind the team and putting people in the seats.  If they don't offer an instate I'm confident there's a reason. 

Pigasaurus

With all the great players in Tx, Fla, La, Ga etc. how in the hell does Bama have the spots available to keep stealing the one or two highly regarded players that we produce each year?
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

secneahog

Quote from: pigasaurus on February 01, 2014, 11:48:20 pm
With all the great players in Tx, Fla, La, Ga etc. how in the hell does Bama have the spots available to keep stealing the one or two highly regarded players that we produce each year?

They pretty much get who they want. I'm sure saban can see it slows us down a lil when we lose a instate highly rated player..
But...
I'll take the instate players that want to be a Hog...example Hunter, Brey, Bijohn etc
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Wahls

February 02, 2014, 05:18:35 am #95 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:50:59 am by Wahls
Quote from: redeye on February 01, 2014, 09:29:34 pm
Seems like someone said he was actually around 6'4.  May have been in this very thread, but not sure.

I'm 6'3" and he's taller than me. I've been within feet of him multiple times. I'd estimate 6'4" 180-190. I don't know why it says he's 6'2" on 24-7 and others. He's noticeably larger than everyone else in the video. His Maxpreps.com basketball profile says he's 6'4" and that's right on the money.

The vast majority of people to watch Nashville football (myself included) would tell you that LaVonte Thomas was a better receiver than Pettway. If LaVonte didn't have a grade and an attitude problem, he would have ended up somewhere like Tulsa instead of Ouachita Baptist. He ended up playing 7 games for them last year as a true freshman and will be a playmaker this coming year for them.

I'd love to get him and him turn into an all-world, all-american type player, but:

If we don't get Pettway, it's gonna be ok. He's an unrefined WR (has played Qb a lot) that lacks against press coverage and for that reason will have difficulty being refined into a high level boundary guy at a D1 program. He's too much of a strider to be a return specialist, and not agile enough to play the slot.

IMO, he's just one of those kids that doesn't have a position and won't translate to D1 football as well as everyone thinks. Might be better off trying to put 20 on him and turn him into a 2-3 year free safety project. He has played that some in HS and done fairly well.

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

3kgthog

Hill seems to be all Bama much like Frazier was rumored to be for months. The other two kids may be that way after one visit and that's not good for Arkansas. Peer pressure is a bigger obstacle than just about anything.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: whosiskid on February 01, 2014, 03:46:15 pm
Good post 

pigskinpreacherII

Pettway to Bama
Gragg to HOGS
Hill to Auburn