Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

La'Michael Pettway of Nashville

Started by ml2200, February 01, 2014, 01:18:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: hoglady on February 01, 2014, 08:43:53 pm
I look at it a little different that you on Bama.
Is Bama really upset if Tenpenney or any other Arkansas kid stays buried on their depth chart? Someone has to be there.
He's kept a potential star away from any other SEC teams.
It's a win win for Bama whether the kid ever plays a down.

This.  Before scholarship limits, Alabama might have 150 players on the roster just to keep them away from the competition. 

KJ Hill is not a "small" receiver.  He has an NFL-ready upper body and speed.  Hill is a must get in a very good crop of Arkansas players. 

Arkansas rises and falls on the backs of its in-state players.  We are not going to consistently beat Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss or Florida for their best in-state players.  We have to beat them consistently for ours.  We have to mine the Dallas/Northeast Texas area that has contributed so much to Arkansas over the years.  We need Tulsa, Memphis and Shreveport, which have also produced great players for Arkansas.  If Bielema can reestablish our presence in these key areas and rebuild the fence around the state that was a given for decades, he can then add value with his connections in the midwest.  More power to him if he can attract SEC caliber players from South Florida and other remote locations like Arizona.  However, he should be careful not to subscribe to the theory that the athletes who travel furthest are the best, which seems to be the view of many on Hogville.  College football is a 5-year commitment.  The athletes are 18 to 23 years old.  Look at the attrition in the 2010 and 2011 classes and you will see a lot of Vin Ascolese's.  You will also see a lot of out-of-state kids who are still there buried on the depth chart. 

Phil Fulmer thought he could take Tennessee national with recruiting after he won an NC.  Meanwhile, he lost kids in his own backyard to teams like Florida.  There are a handful of teams that can point and choose the best players from around the country.  Tennessee is not one of them, and neither is Arkansas.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

CDBHawg

RNHog

Quote from: Wahls on February 01, 2014, 04:05:46 pm
He is not 200 lbs and he is at least 6'4". I've seen him in person multiple, multiple times. I'm 6'3" and he is taller than me.

Think Mekale McKay with worse hands, less agility, better straight line speed, and the physicality of a cross between Broderick Green and Alex Tejada. Go watch his film for more information. There's a reason why he doesn't play out wide that much. If he's being covered by someone even remotely within his athletic range, he can't beat press.

This. I've also seen him. Bauxite covered him up good one night. Bauxite.

Settle down everyone. That youtube film link was against AR baptist.

RNHog

Wahls has this one sniffed out. Pay attention to him.

Wahls

Quote from: RNHog on February 02, 2014, 11:39:04 am
This. I've also seen him. Bauxite covered him up good one night. Bauxite.

Settle down everyone. That youtube film link was against AR baptist.

He's a 3 year free safety project who, with 20lbs could be a starter. Takes good angles and tracks the ball well.

I feel bad for Lavonte Thomas. Kid has gotta feel snubbed ending up at OBU while Pettway gets a scholarship offer to Bama. Thomas clowned on everybody he played.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

Music City Hog

Trivia:  Can anyone name the last scrapper that was a hog?!!!

#1 STUNNA

He will get an offer. And he deserves one

Wahls

Quote from: Music City Hog on February 02, 2014, 04:53:48 pm
Trivia:  Can anyone name the last scrapper that was a hog?!!!

Tyler Serrano walked on. He's the last one I can think of.
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Wahls on February 02, 2014, 04:57:59 pm
Tyler Serrano walked on. He's the last one I can think of.

Nice!  I was thinking scholarship player but technically you're right.

Wahls

Quote from: Music City Hog on February 02, 2014, 04:58:39 pm
Nice!  I was thinking scholarship player but technically you're right.

I'm gonna guess Jared McBride on the scholarship one.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Wahls on February 02, 2014, 05:00:00 pm
I'm gonna guess Jared McBride on the scholarship one.

Winner chicken dinner!

Wahls

Quote from: Music City Hog on February 02, 2014, 05:00:39 pm

Winner chicken dinner!

I was far too young to see him play HS ball but I've heard "McBride to Washington" was a really common phrase back then.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Wahls on February 02, 2014, 05:02:42 pm
I was far too young to see him play HS ball but I've heard "McBride to Washington" was a really common phrase back then.

That was quite the pair. 

mrs. hawgndodge

Roooo Washington, the greatest receiver in Arkansas high school football history.

http://www.nfhs.org/recordbook/Records.aspx?CategoryId=416

2,321 Yards in A Season
25.8 Yards Per Catch
178.5 Yards Per Game

mrs. hawgndodge

Pettway just got another offer, Southern Miss.

pillowhog

Quote from: mrs. hawgndodge on February 25, 2014, 07:44:48 pm
Pettway just got another offer, Southern Miss.
Is that even news?  I figure if Bama has offered a kid then schools like Southern Miss are obvious

HogInTigerLand

Quote from: Music City Hog on February 02, 2014, 05:08:20 pm

That was quite the pair.

We (Prescott High School) owned McBride and Washington in 1995.  Beat them by 3 touchdowns in regular season and beat them again (14-8) for the state title.  Coldest game I ever played in.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 19, 2014, 03:47:33 pm
Ask yourself this question. Who knows more about the kids in-state kids than Arkansas? They do their research by talking to their coaches, opposing coaches and other sources.

This is not the first staff to take their time in offering. Once you offer an in-state prospect you can't back off. Other schools do the same in their home states.

You can throw out offers to the out-of-state kids and not worry about the backlash should you not accept their commitment. THere is no slowing playing in-state guys. You can't do that

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

pillowhog

Quote from: HogInTigerLand on February 27, 2014, 11:31:15 am
We (Prescott High School) owned McBride and Washington in 1995.  Beat them by 3 touchdowns in regular season and beat them again (14-8) for the state title.  Coldest game I ever played in.
What year were they in school that year?

redleg

The Hogs have a chance with KJ Hill, Will Gragg, and lots of others. Clay Henry thinks Arkansas could offer as many as 15 in-state kids for the 2015 class, and maybe that many for 2016.
Hill is still iffy, and might choose Auburn.
My guess is we can probably forget about Pettway if he is originally from Alabama and the Tide have offered him. One thing that will really tick me off is.....if/when Pettway commits to the Tide, his rankings will probably shoot up just because he commits to Bama. But if he picks Arkansas, he'll stay as a 3* recruit. The bias with the "big time" recruiting services is laughable!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

ricepig

We won't offer 15 in-state kids, either year.

bobcat ball

Quote from: redleg on February 27, 2014, 03:18:19 pm
if/when Pettway commits to the Tide, his rankings will probably shoot up just because he commits to Bama. But if he picks Arkansas, he'll stay as a 3* recruit. The bias with the "big time" recruiting services is laughable!

Do you really believe this? Do others believe this? I see it posted all the time but I'm really curious if it's for real or just being sarcastic. Please enlighten me over this topic.
WOO PIG

Tim Harris

The Hogs have a chance with KJ Hill, Will Gragg, and lots of others. Clay Henry thinks Arkansas could offer as many as 15 in-state kids for the 2015 class, and maybe that many for 2016.
My guess is we can probably forget about Pettway if he is originally from Alabama and the Tide have offered him. One thing that will really tick me off is.....if/when Pettway commits to the Tide, his rankings will probably shoot up just because he commits to Bama. But if he picks Arkansas, he'll stay as a 3* recruit. The bias with the "big time" recruiting services is laughable!

It happens both ways.  We have writers who cover the Hogs that get kids ranked 4* that have no business with that ranking.

If Pettway was such a Bama lock don't you think he would already be committed since he has an "offer".  I think that tells you all you need to know about in state offers vs. out of state offers.  They aren't going to accept him at this point.  They might later but not right now.

pillowhog

Quote from: bobcat ball on February 27, 2014, 10:07:46 pm
Do you really believe this? Do others believe this? I see it posted all the time but I'm really curious if it's for real or just being sarcastic. Please enlighten me over this topic.
prime example Kobi Hamilton went up on one site when Texas offered him a week before signing day. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: secneahog on February 01, 2014, 01:32:27 pm
I think at this point we shouldn't question this staffs recruiting methods.

Hold up is for a reason.  Just have to wait it out.

I guess he can get Bama offer so he becomes a 5*, then we can offer.  but will he then drop down when he becomes a Hog.  Those scenarios are coming to an end...

Hoggish1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2014, 01:40:09 pm
Maybe so.  I do like seeing us getting SEC level WR's to play for BB.  The sooner he can shed the misguided perception of him only running a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense, the better.

What are Pettway's measurables?

6' 3" 200

LJHOG

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2014, 06:11:10 pm
Maybe the UA is suspicious of the level of competition for AR HS football.
As they should be.

Vantage 8 dude

MP24

January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

Melorock089

I've noticed this staff likes to offer recruits in person. I think that makes a bigger impression than a phone call or letter.

He will get an offer, I have no doubt.

FATHAWG08

I love off season Football!!

HVHog

Who cares if he performs on the field.

redeye

Quote from: bobcat ball on February 27, 2014, 10:07:46 pm

I've seen it happen many times over many years, but I don't think it's as common nowadays.  My opinion is that the services simply haven't paid much attention to some of these players, but they make a point of doing it after they commit to a school like Alabama.  But when they commit to a school like Arkansas, it's no big deal, so they never get around to examining them better.

Several years ago, you'd see players commit to Arkansas and then immediately drop somewhat frequently.  I don't know how to explain that, except that many of them may have been overrated.  But I'm not sure if that happens anymore then should be expected today.  These days I still think schools like Alabama benefit from being treated differently, but I also think the services try harder to be fair.  I think 247 is much better then Rivals and have noticed that players will rise and fall for all teams.

redeye

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 28, 2014, 07:27:52 am
It happens both ways.  We have writers who cover the Hogs that get kids ranked 4* that have no business with that ranking.

If Pettway was such a Bama lock don't you think he would already be committed since he has an "offer".  I think that tells you all you need to know about in state offers vs. out of state offers.  They aren't going to accept him at this point.  They might later but not right now.

Could it be that Pattway just isn't sure where he wants to go, yet?  You'd know better then I would, but I hope we're not counting him as an Alabama lean without knowing for certain.

Holy City Hog

Quote from: pigskinpreacherII on February 02, 2014, 08:07:41 am
Hill to Auburn

According to RD Hill wants to play college ball where they 'sling it'.

Auburn, which led SEC in total yards last yr (barely over TAMU) & ranked 2nd in pts/game had the FEWEST total pass attempts in SEC (yes even less than Ark) & ranked 11th of 14 in pass yards/game w/ just 173. Auburn led SEC in rushes, total rush yards & rush yrds/game in 2013.

Why would Hill even look at Auburn?  WR's make NFL rosters b/c they can run routes . . . Not jet sweeps.

pillowhog

Quote from: Holy City Hog on March 04, 2014, 06:56:52 am
According to RD Hill wants to play college ball where they 'sling it'.

Auburn, which led SEC in total yards last yr (barely over TAMU) & ranked 2nd in pts/game had the FEWEST total pass attempts in SEC (yes even less than Ark) & ranked 11th of 14 in pass yards/game w/ just 173. Auburn led SEC in rushes, total rush yards & rush yrds/game in 2013.

Why would Hill even look at Auburn?  WR's make NFL rosters b/c they can run routes . . . Not jet sweeps.
Um they just signed one of the best pure passers in the nation.  Get a clue man

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: pillowhog on March 04, 2014, 10:48:54 am

Arkansas has talented QBs on campus and one committed as well. 

The Hogs need to show improvement this year.  Period. 

secneahog

Ty Storey?.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

pillowhog

redeye

I think Auburn will continue to run first.

It's ironic that everyone thinks of Auburn as a passing team and Arkansas a running team, when Arkansas had one of the top pass/run ratios in the SEC last year and Auburn had one of the worst.  And yet, some people think we didn't throw the ball enough.

Holy City Hog

Yeah. Cause Auburn is going to flip from top rush team to top pass team after Marshall leaves.  Here's a "clue" - with a#1 NFL pick Cam Newton under center Gus' HUNH ranked 10th out of 12 SEC teams in pass attempts in 2010. How's that for slinging it?

Gus played for 2 BCS championships with a run heavy play call philosophy. But I'm sure he's going to scrap all that.

Try harder not to sound so 'clueless'.

Wahls

Quote from: Holy City Hog on March 06, 2014, 08:24:00 pm
Yeah. Cause Auburn is going to flip from top rush team to top pass team after Marshall leaves.  Here's a "clue" - with a#1 NFL pick Cam Newton under center Gus' HUNH ranked 10th out of 12 SEC teams in pass attempts in 2010. How's that for slinging it?

Gus played for 2 BCS championships with a run heavy play call philosophy. But I'm sure he's going to scrap all that.

Try harder not to sound so 'clueless'.

It's probably because his receivers have always been junk pretty much everywhere he went, outside of Tulsa.

Gus calls plays to what he has, not to a set in stone, archaic philosophy.

Choctaw Hog

Um Gus also signed 5 - Star QB Kiehl Frazier and "developed" him into a passing machine.  In fact, I can think of 3 high school QBs that were "coached" under Gus the Pius and none of them ever did anything in college.  Coincidence? I think not.

Give this new passing phenomenon a couple of years of Gus' "coaching" and he will be asked to move to WR or DB while Gus brings in a JUCO QB that is already developed.

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: Wahls on March 07, 2014, 03:37:03 am
It's probably because his receivers have always been junk pretty much everywhere he went, outside of Tulsa.

Gus calls plays to what he has, not to a set in stone, archaic philosophy.

Lol
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

pillowhog

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on March 07, 2014, 07:06:25 am
Um Gus also signed 5 - Star QB Kiehl Frazier and "developed" him into a passing machine.  In fact, I can think of 3 high school QBs that were "coached" under Gus the Pius and none of them ever did anything in college.  Coincidence? I think not.

Give this new passing phenomenon a couple of years of Gus' "coaching" and he will be asked to move to WR or DB while Gus brings in a JUCO QB that is already developed.
LOL the guy is a pure pocket passer not a WR athlete type.  Get a clue. 

pillowhog

Quote from: redeye on March 04, 2014, 03:00:31 pm
I think Auburn will continue to run first.

It's ironic that everyone thinks of Auburn as a passing team and Arkansas a running team, when Arkansas had one of the top pass/run ratios in the SEC last year and Auburn had one of the worst.  And yet, some people think we didn't throw the ball enough.
We were throwing probably because we were behind by quite a bit in every game.

Pork Twain

I am NOT saying we only want kids that want to be Hogs...  I AM saying that if a kid wants to be a Hog, it will not matter who offers before us.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/