Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This week's column: Sun Shines on Hogs Thanks to Randy Shannon

Started by colemjh, January 31, 2014, 04:24:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog N Bama

Good read, thanks Jim! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

hoglady

Good article.
Hog fans will be in meltdown mode if Shannon is not named DC.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Jim Harris

and Sam Pittman too, of course. I don't forget him. Enjoy, or wonder aloud "who is Jim Harris?" whatever suits your fancy.

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jim-harris-sun-shines-razorbacks-thanks-randy-shannon/
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Sorry, didn't see someone else had posted me. Feel free to merge or whatever. I forgot out. Falling down on my global moderator duties and how-to's.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

redeye

Quote from: hoglady on January 31, 2014, 04:50:15 pm
Good article.
Hog fans will be in meltdown mode if Shannon is not named DC.

You think?  Can't say I will be, but it would be nice.  I'm sure Bielema will make the best possible choice, no matter whatever it is.

If it's Shannon, I wonder if we'll start hearing leaks tonight.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

hoglady

Quote from: redeye on January 31, 2014, 05:06:03 pm
You think?  Can't say I will be, but it would be nice.  I'm sure Bielema will make the best possible choice, no matter whatever it is.

If it's Shannon, I wonder if we'll start hearing leaks tonight.

Can't see Shannon staying a LB coach forever.
If he doesn't get the DC job, I'd be surprised if he's here past next year.
Most Hog fans would sure hate to lose him.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

tophawg19

i'd say an opening offer of 600.000 should get RS's attention as D/C
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

redeye

Quote from: hoglady on January 31, 2014, 05:13:31 pm
Can't see Shannon staying a LB coach forever.
If he doesn't get the DC job, I'd be surprised if he's here past next year.
Most Hog fans would sure hate to lose him.

No doubt that losing him would be awful.

moses_007

We can't afford to lose Shannon or Pittman.  These guys are the two best recruiters in the country, and they're proving it with this 2014 class.  Jeff needs to pay them whatever it takes to keep them in Hog country.

LZH

Quote from: moses_007 on January 31, 2014, 05:47:24 pm
We can't afford to lose Shannon or Pittman.  These guys are the two best recruiters in the country, and they're proving it with this 2014 class. 

Then that would make them the 32nd best recruiters in the country, wouldn't it?

Pork Twain

Quote from: LedZepHog on January 31, 2014, 06:09:41 pm
Because getting good players to come to Arkansas is the same as getting them to go to Florida, LSU, USC, Bama...etc.?.?.?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: LedZepHog on January 31, 2014, 06:09:41 pm

They may not be the absolute best in the entire country, but they are better than any I can recall here in a long time, maybe ever. I remember when people were panicked that we were losing Tim Horton and how bad recruiting would suffer.

LZH

Quote from: BeoPig™ on January 31, 2014, 06:15:04 pm
Because getting good players to come to Arkansas is the same as getting them to go to Florida, LSU, USC, Bama...etc.?.?.?

Just being a smarta$$.  It's hard to hold my tongue when the bs meter goes into the red.  ESPN did have our 2014 class rated #32, after all.

LZH

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 31, 2014, 06:16:53 pm
They may not be the absolute best in the entire country, but they are better than any I can recall here in a long time, maybe ever. I remember when people were panicked that we were losing Tim Horton and how bad recruiting would suffer.

That's more like it.  +1.

TeedupHigh

JIM HARRIS, the name is Kendrick Edwards for God's sake!  Not Kendrick Brown!!!!

SoCal Hog

Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

LZH

Quote from: TeedupHigh on January 31, 2014, 06:40:42 pm
JIM HARRIS, the name is Kendrick Edwards for God's sake!  Not Kendrick Brown!!!!

Apparently, actually being concerned about one's content isn't much of a priority these days.

goodguytex

Just as an FYI, if we get four out of our top targets still left to commit, we have a very real shot at finishing with a top 20 class. Some pieces do have to still fall into place. But right now things are looking good.

COCHISE

Quote from: Jim Harris on January 31, 2014, 04:50:28 pm
and Sam Pittman too, of course. I don't forget him. Enjoy, or wonder aloud "who is Jim Harris?" whatever suits your fancy.

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jim-harris-sun-shines-razorbacks-thanks-randy-shannon/
I was ecstatic to read a couple of days ago that RD feels Arkansas will be Pittman's last job. That guy is incredible.

Pathogen

Quote from: LedZepHog on January 31, 2014, 06:22:53 pm
Just being a smarta$$.  It's hard to hold my tongue when the bs meter goes into the red.  ESPN did have our 2014 class rated #32, after all.

Quite sassy tonight aren't you?  You make this dig, then another. Pittman is likely the best OL coach/recruiter combo in the nation.  Arkansas is 7-17 over the last 2 years, yet he's pulling in 4*'s, not to mention the fact that 'Bama came after him.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LZH

Quote from: fvillehog on January 31, 2014, 09:11:26 pm
Quite sassy tonight aren't you?  You make this dig, then another. Pittman is likely the best OL coach/recruiter combo in the nation.  Arkansas is 7-17 over the last 2 years, yet he's pulling in 4*'s, not to mention the fact that 'Bama came after him.

I guess I am.  It just makes me squirm when people gush over mediocrity, especially when they think just because some guy is wearing Razorback gear that he's now automatically the 'best in the nation'.  I mean, after reading a few of these posts, I close my eyes and I see participation ribbons everywhere.  Most of the old timers on here know I wasn't always like this.  But it's like "Groundhog Day" (no pun intended) - I've seen this pink cloud syndrome over and over and over.  Everyone over on Jump Ball is giving FCJ hell for his ridiculous MA-can-do-no-wrong-we're-in-great-shape stance, but guys doing the same thing on MMQ get offended because someone calls them on it.

I can still hear guys laughing their butts off at Tennessee when they hired Butch Jones, and how BB put together a superior staff...all star coaches, every one of 'em.  Well the last time I checked Jones and his boys' 2014 recruiting class is ranked #3 in the country.  Even Ole Miss had a Top 5 class last year.  So why hasn't our all-star staff produced like that?  And what's more, now that we're clearly one of the bottom two or three in the SEC, these dudes are still touting how great they are.  The excuses haven't slowed down, they've actually picked up.

And as for my posts/jabs, I do try to use a little humor and I'm never nasty to anyone, so most of what I say is pretty harmless.

hoglady

Quote from: LedZepHog on January 31, 2014, 09:43:54 pm
I guess I am.  It just makes me squirm when people gush over mediocrity, especially when they think just because some guy is wearing Razorback gear that he's now automatically the 'best in the nation'.  I mean, after reading a few of these posts, I close my eyes and I see participation ribbons everywhere.  Most of the old timers on here know I wasn't always like this.  But it's like "Groundhog Day" (no pun intended) - I've seen this pink cloud syndrome over and over and over.  Everyone over on Jump Ball is giving FCJ hell for his ridiculous MA-can-do-no-wrong-we're-in-great-shape stance, but guys doing the same thing on MMQ get offended because someone calls them on it.

I can still hear guys laughing their butts off at Tennessee when they hired Butch Jones, and how BB put together a superior staff...all star coaches, every one of 'em.  Well the last time I checked Jones and his boys' 2014 recruiting class is ranked #3 in the country.  Even Ole Miss had a Top 5 class last year.  So why hasn't our all-star staff produced like that?  And what's more, now that we're clearly one of the bottom two or three in the SEC, these dudes are still touting how great they are.  The excuses haven't slowed down, they've actually picked up.

And as for my posts/jabs, I do try to use a little humor and I'm never nasty to anyone, so most of what I say is pretty harmless.

I agree with your post.
But Pittman is a great recruiter at his coaching position - probably is one of the best in the country.
His stellar recruiting doesn't make up for the lack of great recruiting at other positions.

Hawgzinbowlz

Hawgzinbowlz

Hog Fan n Tx

This is exactly what I was saying earlier this week in another thread and was blasted for being so negative and only looking at stars.  The fact remains if a team does not recruit top 10 classes they will not play for championships.  A championship is the goal isn't it?  Look at Kentucky, Tenn, Auburn and Ole Miss the last couple of years with new coaches.  Have we kept up?

MuskogeeHogFan

Time for a reality check? OK.

The reality is that we probably lost a couple of games last season due to poor in-game coaching decisions. I would agree with that. But we also lost games because our starting QB was injured most of the season and our back 7, especially our back 4, were just inadequate. Additionally, we had to be the unluckiest D-I team in the country last year. If we caught any breaks, there were very few. And I'm not even talking about us creating mistakes for other teams, I'm just talking about other teams making their own mistakes against us.

Did Bielema underestimate just how competitive the SEC and the West in particular, really was? Probably. There isn't any doubt that he has had his own reality check by this time. 3-9/0-8 will do that to you.

Let's forget for a moment that BP wasn't the most consistently good recruiter. But it is a fact that the team that he did recruit for his style of offense, with little emphasis on quality defensive players, is the team that Bielema inherited. I think that we can all agree that it wasn't a team that could easily and quickly transition to "Bielema Ball". Simply too many necessary parts missing. And that's not my opinion, it is just a fact.

Now, given all of these negatives, I find it encouraging that this staff is recruiting as well as they are. Is it the best class that they would like to have? Of course not. They would love to be signing 5 five stars, 14 four stars and 6 three star kids in this class, but we haven't won enough and we don't have the long term national noteriety of a program like Tennessee, though they have been down in recent years. Nonetheless, they have won or been awarded 6 National Championship titles. They have that to promote themselves to recruits. History, tradition, national championships. We have 1. Again, not opinion, just a fact.

Do I think that we may have the best staff we have had here in a long, long time? I think that is certainly true in certain areas, maybe in all areas, the jury is still out. But it does seem that this staff is getting a greater return on their investment in recruiting than any staff I have seen here in a long while and certainly under what is probably the most adverse conditions that any Razorback football staff has faced in quite some time. I think that too, is fact, not pumping sunshine.

I'm giving them time to get this thing turned around. I expect improvement. Steady, consistent improvement. When and if I don't see that, I'll say it is time for a change. But right now they are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and it is probably the greatest challenge that anyone on this staff has ever faced.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgon

QuoteI guess I am.  It just makes me squirm when people gush over mediocrity, especially when they think just because some guy is wearing Razorback gear that he's now automatically the 'best in the nation'.

It would be easier to take if the same people hadn't done the same thing over and over.  Most of these guys saying the most outlandish things about this staff were the same ones who declared that we had one of the best staffs in the nation after BP got fired and that it would be a simple matter for them and JLS to lead the team to a successful season as a result.  Go back a little farther, and they were the ones who said that Mike Markeson was the best offensive line coach in the SEC if not the nation.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgon on February 01, 2014, 08:44:24 am
It would be easier to take if the same people hadn't done the same thing over and over.  Most of these guys saying the most outlandish things about this staff were the same ones who declared that we had one of the best staffs in the nation after BP got fired and that it would be a simple matter for them and JLS to lead the team to a successful season as a result.  Go back a little farther, and they were the ones who said that Mike Markeson was the best offensive line coach in the SEC if not the nation.

No one realized at the time, how big of a dominating influence BP had in both the offensive and defensive game plans. Essentially, HE WAS the staff. When he left, the staff lost their compass that determined which direction they were going to go. Who would have thought that an entire staff of experienced coaches would wind up like a rudderless ship in the absence of BP? So expecting them to produce with the same systems and talent recruited by BP in place wasn't an unreasonable thought. No one thought they were going to win 10 games without BP, but I think most everyone thought that 7-8 wins was reasonable.
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 01, 2014, 10:10:29 am
No one realized at the time, how big of a dominating influence BP had in both the offensive and defensive game plans. Essentially, HE WAS the staff. When he left, the staff lost their compass that determined which direction they were going to go. Who would have thought that an entire staff of experienced coaches would wind up like a rudderless ship in the absence of BP? So expecting them to produce with the same systems and talent recruited by BP in place wasn't an unreasonable thought. No one thought they were going to win 10 games without BP, but I think most everyone thought that 7-8 wins was reasonable.

What I learned mostly that season was that Paul was truly, totally just a figurehead OC under Bobby. Lost as goose with in game decisions without him.

SemperFi

That was a really good article. Enjoyed the read, but was left wanting more.....so, more please!  ;)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

GolfnHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 01, 2014, 07:39:33 am

Do I think that we may have the best staff we have had here in a long, long time? I think that is certainly true in certain areas, maybe in all areas, the jury is still out. But it does seem that this staff is getting a greater return on their investment in recruiting than any staff I have seen here in a long while and certainly under what is probably the most adverse conditions that any Razorback football staff has faced in quite some time. I think that too, is fact, not pumping sunshine.

I'm giving them time to get this thing turned around. I expect improvement. Steady, consistent improvement. When and if I don't see that, I'll say it is time for a change. But right now they are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and it is probably the greatest challenge that anyone on this staff has ever faced.

Of all the redundancy of posts and threads HV creates, these 2 paragraphs sum  up the current situation. Granted nothing in the world can get a passion built to a boiling point in AR like the Hog football program.

I equate the current process to a home of 25 years burning to the ground. The rebuild comes w/ some emotional baggage that requires  it's set aside so that you can move forward. Don't forget the past, but damn sure don't dwell on it and build it better than it was. To do that requires patience, planning and doing things that will reflect measurable progress and not being done just for the sake of doing it.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Hawgon

Actually, some of us did and tried to tell you.  Anybody with any sense who thought about rationally for three seconds knew it.  Only the Stepford fans and Jeff long didn't realize.

LZH

I think alot of us knew that Bobby was an overbearing control freak.  What I didn't know was that John L. Smith would come in and A) disregard any discipline and let everyone run wild, and B) completely lose his marbles and have some sort of a mental breakdown.  I can't imagine how a coach that knows anything about anything could mismanage a season so badly.

superior_wang

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 01, 2014, 01:12:18 pm
I think alot of us knew that Bobby was an overbearing control freak.  What I didn't know was that John L. Smith would come in and A) disregard any discipline and let everyone run wild, and B) completely lose his marbles and have some sort of a mental breakdown.  I can't imagine how a coach that knows anything about anything could mismanage a season so badly.

roger that , Mav

LZH

Quote from: superior_wang on February 01, 2014, 01:16:36 pm
roger that , Mav

...attaboy Goose!  Or, if you're the bad guy, I guess it's "attaboy Iceman".        ;)

Peter Porker

Let's give Bielema credit for these OL commits too. He has the reputation of producing NFL offensive linemen. He should get credit too.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgon on February 01, 2014, 12:32:05 pm
Actually, some of us did and tried to tell you.  Anybody with any sense who thought about rationally for three seconds knew it.  Only the Stepford fans and Jeff long didn't realize.

Actually, I think the vast majority of the folks on here (and Hog fans in general) thought that BP was a control freak but weren't sure how much of that influence carried over to defense. What we found out after he left was that apparently he put the entire gameplan together on both sides of the ball. Many can claim that they knew it all along, but the conversations I remember about that were based in speculation of that potential, but nothing certain. Why else would the "fire Willy" sentiment have started and gained so much momentum if many thought that BP was dictating the defense instead of Robinson?
Go Hogs Go!

toshortrock

Well if we happen to lose Randy or  Sam,our hope will go down the toilet
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 01, 2014, 01:12:18 pm

Or, represent the school and the program so poorly. That was a complete embarassment.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 01, 2014, 01:38:43 pm
Or, represent the school and the program so poorly. That was a complete embarassment.

Watching that first press conference where he told somebody that they 'looked fat', I turned to my daughter and said "we are in such trouble".

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 01, 2014, 02:10:29 pm
Watching that first press conference where he told somebody that they 'looked fat', I turned to my daughter and said "we are in such trouble".

Or, "smile" or when he thought he was at Alabama? Good grief.
Go Hogs Go!

jabohog

Quote from: hoglady on January 31, 2014, 09:51:43 pm
I agree with your post.
But Pittman is a great recruiter at his coaching position - probably is one of the best in the country.
His stellar recruiting doesn't make up for the lack of great recruiting at other positions.
If we get Solomon Thomas, you can chalk that up to the RB coach and his family.

jabohog

Quote from: Glenn (TxRzrbak) R on February 01, 2014, 12:31:27 pm
Of all the redundancy of posts and threads HV creates, these 2 paragraphs sum  up the current situation. Granted nothing in the world can get a passion built to a boiling point in AR like the Hog football program.

I equate the current process to a home of 25 years burning to the ground. The rebuild comes w/ some emotional baggage that requires  it's set aside so that you can move forward. Don't forget the past, but damn sure don't dwell on it and build it better than it was. To do that requires patience, planning and doing things that will reflect measurable progress and not being done just for the sake of doing it.
I think the biggest problem with this staff is they haven't worked together long enough. They haven't built the chemistry that will come. As you say, don't forget the past, but don't dwell on it, and for damn sure don't let it make you bitter. Bitterness eats a person up from the inside out.

jabohog

This is a great read Jim. That's the only reason I go to sportinglifearkansas is to see if you have written anything.

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 01, 2014, 02:14:32 pm
Or, "smile" or when he thought he was at Alabama? Good grief.

I think it's quite possible that he really did have a mental break of some kind.  Throw in the bankruptcy and his plate may have been too full.

GaryHog

go root for them!!!
Make America Great Again!!!!!!!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: toshortrock on February 01, 2014, 01:38:35 pm
Well if we happen to lose Randy or  Sam,our hope will go down the toilet

We can't lose Coach Pittman.  It is a must that we keep Coach Pittman.  To me, he is the 2nd best Offensive Line Coach in the FBS.  Here is who I personally consider the Top 5 Offensive Line Coaches in the FBS.

1.  Art Kehoe   Miami (FL)

From Kehoe's Bio.

"Kehoe's tenure of 28 years at Miami, a span during which he has either played or coached for six head football coaches, ranks among the longest of any UM athletics figure."

"During his time working with the Hurricanes' offensive line, Kehoe has produced seven players (Eric Winston in 2005, Brett Romberg in 2002, Bryant McKinnie in 2001, Joaquin Gonzalez in 2000, Richard Mercier in 1999, K.C. Jones in 1996 and Leon Searcy in 1991) who received first-team All-America honors. 20 more of his protégés went on to play professionally, including 16 all-conference honorees, one Outland Trophy winner and the 2002 Rimington Award winner."

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205558522

2.  Sam Pittman   Arkansas

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205824821

3.  Mike Bloomgren   Stanford

Bloomgren's Stanford Offensive Line committed only two holding penalties during the entire 2013 regular season.

http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=749929&SPID=127013&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167701&Q_SEASON=2014

4.  Joe Wickline   Texas  (just went to Texas from Oklahoma State)

From Wickline's Bio.

"From 2010-13, the Cowboys scored 50 or more points 19 times, broke the 60-point mark in seven contests, the 70-point mark twice and the 80-point plateau once with Wickline's linemen in the trenches. He helped coach an Oklahoma State offense that averaged at least 40 points per game in five of the last seven seasons. The line also paved the way for six consecutive first-team All-Big 12 running backs from 2007-12, a 1,000-yard rusher in five of the past six seasons, and a 1,000-yard receiver in six of the past eight seasons."

http://texassports.com/staff.aspx?staff=167

5.  B.J. Anderson   Texas A&M

From Anderson's Bio.

"The 2012 Aggies produced a pair of first-team All-America offensive linemen for the first time since the mid-1950s in Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews, and Joeckel went on to become the No. 2 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. Last year's offensive front cleared the way for an offense that led the Southeastern Conference in rushing, passing, scoring and total offense, and was generally regarded as one of the nation's finest. It also protected 2012 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel, who became the first SEC player to generate 5,000-plus yards in a season."

"Anderson coached five offensive lineman to All-Conference USA honors while paving the way for the Cougar offense that finished in the top 11 in total offense the past three seasons, and was the nation's most prolific offense in 2009 and 2011."

"In Anderson's first season in 2009, the Cougars finished with a 10-4 overall record while winning the C-USA West Division with a 6-2 league mark. UH knocked off Texas Tech, No. 5 Oklahoma State and Mississippi State and were 4-0 in non-conference action. Statistically, the University of

Houston led the nation in passing offense (433.7), total offense (563.4) and scoring offense (42.2). While protecting record-setting quarterback Case Keenum, the Cougars ranked third nationally in lowest pass attempts-to-sack ratio."

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&SPSID=632664&SPID=93232&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205366778