Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou 2010 rape case, appears UM dropped the ball

Started by SemperHawg, January 24, 2014, 03:00:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch  6h
The public perception game: Missouri publishes emails ESPN reporters sent to the school as part of its reporting: http://www.mutigers.com/genrel/012414-otl-exchange.html ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Dani Wex ‏@DaniWex  6h
Journalism revolves around reporting & using words/pictures/video to share findings. Nothing's more important than choosing correct words

RamsHerd ‏@RamsHerd  5h
@DaniWex Sharing universal truths, or thinking specifically on the ESPN / Mizzou imbroglio?

Dani Wex ‏@DaniWex  5h
@RamsHerd both. We're supposed to be the watchdogs, not abuse our power of using major headlines to attract clicks.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Joe Walljasper ‏@JoeWalljasper  10h
ESPN's Outside the Lines' story on MU's handling of a possible rape of swimmer Sasha Menu Courey by football player. http://ow.ly/sVff4

Buff

And DGB's mama didn't want him to play for that meanie Petrino

mizzouman

Two sides to every story. This story is completly one sided. Yes, I'm a  Mizzou grad, but don't take it from me. People who don't have a dog in this fight are saying this is a hatchet job. The angle of this story is clearly to defame a university rather than to shed light on what the story should have been about which is the mental health of college athletes.

Anyway, before passing judgment, one should read both sides of the story.

Hogfaniam

"given statistics showing that one in five women is a survivor of attempted or completed sexual violence while in college."  Wonder if that is an extrapolation, or actual cases?  How many go unreported? 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

jbcarol

STL Sports News ‏@STL_SportsNews  13h
MU says it had no basis to investigate alleged rape of athlete http://bit.ly/LTVfoI

SemperHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on January 25, 2014, 09:17:20 am
Two sides to every story. This story is completly one sided. Yes, I'm a  Mizzou grad, but don't take it from me. People who don't have a dog in this fight are saying this is a hatchet job. The angle of this story is clearly to defame a university rather than to shed light on what the story should have been about which is the mental health of college athletes.

Anyway, before passing judgment, one should read both sides of the story.
The one fact we know with any certainty is that the alleged victim can no longer share her side of the story.  I understand your loyalty to your school, however I cringe seeing words like "hatchet job" used to describe any story involving a young person taking their own life.

jbcarol

For all the trauma they've absorbed and haunting questions unanswered about the suicide of their daughter, former Mizzou swimmer Sasha Menu Courey, her parents' quest now is simple: To ensure that the disturbing, complicated circumstances that preceded her death, as outlined Sunday on ESPN's "Outside The Lines," don't mean she died in vain.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/26/4778874/parents-say-the-system-failed.html

Did the system fail at Missouri?

jbcarol

A spokesman for the Columbia (Mo.) Police Department confirmed Monday that detectives have begun an investigation into allegations that a former University of Missouri swimmer had been sexually assaulted in 2010, possibly by more than one member of the football team.

"Our detectives will take a look at the information and determine what leads need to be followed, and what needs to happen next," Sgt. Joe Bernhard said. "Cases like this are problematic when there's a four-year delay and no [living] victim."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10359661/columbia-police-open-investigation-alleged-rape-missouri

jbcarol

bryan burwell ‏@realbburwell 6 hrs
Today's column raises tough questions we should all want answered from Mizzou: Independent' probe not enough http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/burwell-independent-probe-not-enough-at-mizzou/article_a2e3b025-c710-52ec-a860-4fc8635c1696.html ...

revolution

Maybe the answer to this question is in all these articles, but it seems that the MU perspective is that all the university personnel who were told about the assault by this young girl are exempt from reporting to law enforcement without the alleged victim's permission, but my question is, "did any of those people ask for permission to report the incident or encourage the alleged victim to do so?"  If not, why not?  Are they hiding behind the fact that they aren't legally mandated reporters?  What about decency as a human being?  Or maybe I just don't understand the medical community. 

Why would a counselor not want to report a potential violent crime?  I understand that a medical professional should not and cannot report without the patient's / alleged victim's consent, but shouldn't that professional be involved in seeing that an appropriate response is made to the alleged assault if the alleged victim will allow?  Why would a medical professional not pursue that possibility?  Or maybe they did in this case and were rebuffed by the alleged victim?

jbcarol

With an impassioned response to the allegations that rocked his flagship institution last week, University of Missouri System President Tim Wolfe gave a voice to his proposed investigation into the rape accusations of former Mizzou swimmer Sasha Menu Courey, who committed suicide in June 2011.

Quote"It's unfortunately a tragic situation that's kind of personal to me because I'm a parent of a female freshman student-athlete myself," Wolfe said. "What's important to us at the University of Missouri is the safety of our students. We take this very seriously."

"What I feel as a parent is one of our students is dead," he added during a 30-minute news conference. "And I don't want to feel that anymore. Our goal is to help Sashas of the world and try to give them the necessary mental health support or whatever support they need, for any of our students, in a way that we can never let this happen again."

President Wolfe declined to comment on specifics.

jbcarol

On Thursday night, Missouri Athletic Director Mike Alden spoke for the first time about the ESPN "Outside the Lines" report on former MU swimmer Sasha Menu Courey, who committed suicide in June 2011 after battling mental-health issues that were possibly exacerbated by an alleged rape by one or more Missouri football players. The ESPN story suggested MU made questionable decisions dealing with Menu Courey's mental illness and said the school might have violated the federal law Title IX by failing to launch an investigation of the alleged rape.

QuoteUntil Thursday night, Alden, who was in Florida at a National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics meeting over the weekend, had not consented to interviews. That was particularly troubling because the recent spate of high-profile MU athletes accused of sexual assaults — including the cases of football player Derrick Washington and basketball player Mike Dixon — has called into question whether he is serious about investigating or disciplining athletes unless the media forces his hand...

Q: You have now had three high-profile cases of sexual assaults with athletes in the last few years. In your mind, how has your department handled the aftermath of each of those?

A: You certainly think that all of your kids are doing things well, everything is going well. However, when you see something like that, it makes you step back and want to make sure that you're doing things the right way. I think for us, when we've had those issues and they've come up, after we've identified them, we've tried to respond in an appropriate fashion comprehensively throughout the institution. You would hope that you have, certainly. But what I want to make sure is we don't see those instances continue to come up and we continue to deal with them better going forward. I think overall we've tried to address them in the best fashion we could. I think going forward, if those ever come up again, you want to see what you can do to even improve how you respond...

Transcript, more in full at the link above, provided by Sports Editor, Joe Walljasper.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  7h
UM System curators hire Clayton's Dowd Bennett law firm to handle Menu Courey investigation. Among 5 attorneys on case, none are MU grads

jbcarol

Ashley Jost ‏@ajost  5h
Contract details fees for law firm doing inquiry into MU's handling of Menu Courey case http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/education/contract-details-fees-for-law-firm-doing-inquiry-into-mu/article_d11247a2-9e4f-11e3-9b42-10604b9ffe60.html ... #Mizzou #Columbia

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison  5h
That story, from @ajost, says the Menu Courey independent counsel capped billable hours at $120K. Coming from interest in MU's cash account.

jbcarol

Ashley Jost ‏@ajost ·2 hrs
The curators are going to be briefed on what the independent counsel found re: Sasha Menu Courey sometime next week before/during their mtg.

jbcarol

Ashley Jost ‏@ajost ·Mar 31
There will be no public announcement re: the independent counsel this week.

jbcarol

Ashley Jost ‏@ajost  3h
.@UMPrez announces that he has issued an executive order to help strengthen the university's reporting policies under Title IX.

Ashley Jost ‏@ajost  3h
The exec order requires a person report any sexual harassment to Title IX coordinator, unless they are a lawyer, health professional, etc.

Ashley Jost ‏@ajost  3h
RT @columbiatribune @UMPrez order stricter Title IX reporting requirements. http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/education/um-president-orders-stricter-title-ix-reporting-requirements/article_0a539772-bf67-11e3-9970-0017a43b2370.html ...

QuoteUniversity of Missouri System President Tim Wolfe announced today that he has issued an executive order to strengthen the university's reporting policies under Title IX.

The order states that every employee has an obligation to report sexual harassment and sexual violence perpetrated against students to the appropriate Title IX coordinator. All employees are considered "mandated reporters" except for those who have a legal obligation or privilege of confidentiality, including health care providers, counselors, lawyers and associated staff, according to the updated Collected Rules and Regulations.

This announcement comes days before the Board of Curators meet in Rolla and are set to hear from independent counsel hired to investigate how the University of Missouri handled the case of Sasha Menu Courey, a former MU swimmer who was allegedly raped and later committed suicide.

Menu Courey reported the rape to health professionals and wrote in a diary that she told an athletic department staffer about the attack. Health professionals are generally required to keep confidentiality, and the university has said it had no evidence that anyone in the athletic department knew about a rape until after Courey's death./quote]

jbcarol

Ashley Jost ‏@ajost ·23 mins
.@UMPrez starts with apology to Menu Courey's parents and friends for any of the university's "shortcomings."

jbcarol

STL Sports News @STL_SportsNews  ·  1h ago 
University of Missouri did not violate law, says report on sex assault case http://chilp.it/9d7091

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

Admittedly a Mizzou fan, but if the victim wants to keep the incident quiet, do we ignore the victim's wishes? Right or wrong, if a victim prefers no attention, do we disregard? Each person handles trauma and depression in different ways. I don't know if painting a broad stroke legally is perhaps the correct solution for each victim. A little perplexed about the situation regardless of the school.

Hogwop

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 31, 2014, 01:46:09 pm
Heads are going to roll at the Zoo!

Cmon DB, you're better than that. I hate Mizzou as much as anyone, but a girl took her life here. This isn't like Mizzou got caught paying recruits or anything, this is about far more than sports and team allegiances, IMO.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

jbcarol

Ashley Jost ‏@ajost ·Apr 12
On the @columbiatribune: Independent counsel critical of aspects of MU's handling of the Sasha Menu Courey case http://bit.ly/1iGanQZ

jbcarol

Dave MatterVerified account ‏@Dave_Matter ·40m 
Today's P-D Editorial: MU acts to protect students and stop coddling athletes  http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/editorial-mu-acts-to-protect-students-and-stop-coddling-athletes/article_54052e2f-bc68-5381-8222-ef618cab8864.html ...

Long-simmering problems tied to the University of Missouri's athletic program came to a boil on Friday with a critical independent report about a sexual assault case and the dismissal from the Tigers...

jbcarol

Tim Wolfe @UMPrez  ·  2h  I will announce a new step in our process to improve reporting/preventing sexual assault and mental health services later today

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  3h 
Univ of Missouri System hires National Center for Higher Education Risk Management to provide third-party assessment of new task force

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  3h 
The national consultant will help with sexual assault & mental health services task force on four UM campuses http://www.umsystem.edu/ums/news/news_releases/041614_news ...

Katie Hnida @KatieHnida  ·  2h 
The #FloridaState rape "investigation" is a great example of why victims don't speak up. Horrified at some of the reactions I've seen today

1st woman to play FBS football

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  1h

ESPN's Outside the Lines reexamines accusations against former Missouri running back Derrick Washington http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11381416/missouri-tulsa-southern-idaho-face-allegations-did-not-investigate-title-ix-cases ...

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  1h

Statement from Missouri chancellor R. Bowen Loftin to ESPN regarding OTL story: http://www.espn.go.com/pdf/2014/0818/MissouriStatement.pdf ...

jbcarol

Alden, Pinkel claim they weren't aware of Title IX procedure

Missouri Athletic Director Mike Alden and football Coach Gary Pinkel said Friday they knew about the 2008 rape allegation concerning former running back Derrick Washington shortly after the incident occurred and, to the best of their knowledge at the time, followed the proper chain of command.

Alden and Pinkel met the media a day after ESPN's "Outside the Lines" published a story uncovering the 2008 allegation against Washington, as well as an incident from May 2010 in which he allegedly punched a Missouri women's soccer player during a fight involving her and his ex-girlfriend.

QuoteWhen Pinkel found out police had interviewed Washington on Oct. 24, nearly two weeks after the player allegedly forced himself on a female student, he told Alden. When Alden found out from Pinkel, he alerted then-Chancellor Brady Deaton, the university's public affairs staff and other officials.

Alden said he and Pinkel were not aware of their responsibility to also report the incident to the campus' Title IX coordinator for a possible university investigation into the instance of alleged sexual violence.

"Today, I am aware of all of that," Alden said...

Washington, on Thursday, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he did have sex with the alleged victim in the 2008 case but did not assault her. He denied punching the soccer player in 2010. Pinkel suspended him indefinitely from the team on Aug. 26, 2010, four days before he was arrested and charged with felony deviate sexual assault for sneaking into the bedroom of former athletic department tutor Teresa Braeckel and sexually assaulting her in June 2010. He later left the university.

Pinkel said he discussed the 2008 allegations with Washington at the time but did not take any disciplinary action against him because no charges were going to be filed against him.

University police did file a warrant request to Boone County assistant prosecutor Andrew Scholz on Nov. 5, 2008, but he did not press charges. He told the Tribune there were multiple points in police interviews with witnesses who the alleged victim told of the assault would have made it very difficult to prosecute the case.

"It's all about the information. When the police get involved then, certainly, they are investigators. They are professionals. That's what they do," Pinkel said. "And if they decide that they're not going to press charges, then I'm not going to remove a player from the team for that. I'm not doing that. It's not consistent with any way I've handled any situation that I've had here before. That's kind of what happened in that case."

Pinkel said he referred to the 2008 allegations in a conversation with Washington after he found out about Braeckel's claim in 2010.

"I said to him, 'Two years ago and now? This is serious,' " Pinkel recalled. " 'You might be dismissed from the program. The police are investigating this. We've got problems here.' "

jbcarol

jbcarol

Austin Kim @AustinKKim  ·  54m 54 minutes ago
Updated story on Columbia Police closing its investigation on the Sasha Menu-Courey case: http://www.abc17news.com/news/police-case-closed-on-sasha-menu-courey-case/31867070 ...

Tod Palmer @todpalmer  ·  2h 2 hours ago
Here is the complete press release regarding the closing of the Menu Courey investigation by CPD: http://www.gocolumbiamo.com/CMS/pressrelea