Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can our 2015 recruiting class be our first top 5 class?

Started by hawgintx, January 24, 2014, 12:26:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgintx

Right now we have four 4 star commits and one 3 star commit for our 2015 recruiting class.  Rivals doesn't list team rankings for 2015, but that has to put us on the short list of the best classes in the country at this point.  What are the chances that Bret keeps this momentum going and we pull off a top 5 class for 2015?  Just might be the first step towards our goal of winning a SEC championship. 

RazorPiggie

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: hawgintx on January 24, 2014, 12:26:22 pm
Right now we have four 4 star commits and one 3 star commit for our 2015 recruiting class.  Rivals doesn't list team rankings for 2015, but that has to put us on the short list of the best classes in the country at this point.  What are the chances that Bret keeps this momentum going and we pull off a top 5 class for 2015?  Just might be the first step towards our goal of winning a SEC championship.

Even though I am a supporter of BB and believe he will eventually get it done, I have my doubts we can pull off a top 5 even if we start off well.  I do think we'll pull off a top 25 class and I think that will put us back in the conversation and headed for a top 15 class after that.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

thefisher

Last time I looked (maybe 3 weeks ago) the 2015 class was ranked 6th.

LOOOONG way to go yet. However, I would be surprised to see it end up outside the top 15 and the top 10 a possibility. 15 is a probably pretty good guess from this far away.

If the Hogs can consistently land within the top 20 .... and make the top 10 occasionally .... they will be competitive with a chance to win any game they play. Of course that is assuming that the recruits are hits and not misses. It also assumes that they are able to stay on campus. That is something that the Hogs (and others obviously) have been hurt by in the past. Recruiting high is important. However, if the players are legit then keeping those guys on the roster after signing day for years to come is just as important.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Southpointhog

colbs

Maybe top 15>  They are some really good recruits right now and the state has a lot of talent coming out in 2015.  I highly doubt top 5 or top 10, but this looks like it could be Arkansas best class in a long time.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Top 5, not likely.

We would need about 11 more 4 stars or a couple of 5 stars.

But i would be shocked if it isn't a top 15 class. Could be a top 10 is we land Gragg, Sutherland and Hentges. Good news is the class is off to a good start and CBB and company has proved they can get 4 stars out of state. Hopefully other kids will see the good class and want to join in.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: OBHOG on January 24, 2014, 12:35:20 pm
Top 15 if we go to a bowl this next season!

Wouldn't hold my breath on that happening.
Let's make some waves.

Theolesnort

Well if you think it is possible open your wallet and start buying recruiting subscriptions. Only then will it become possible.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogarusa

I will go with 0% chance.  We won't even finish top 5 in the SEC.  I am not even sure the Hogs can finish top 5 in the SEC West with Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, and Ole Miss. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Exit Pursued by a Boar

It will be a very good class. Top 5? No. Probably not even top 5 in the SEC.

EFBAB

ifghog

It will be a top 20....Maybe number 6 or 7 in the SEC.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Theolesnort on January 24, 2014, 01:06:33 pm
Well if you think it is possible open your wallet and start buying recruiting subscriptions. Only then will it become possible.

This should effectively end the thread.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

thefisher

Quote from: Theolesnort on January 24, 2014, 01:06:33 pm

Bodabing! There is a lot of wisdom in that quote. Spot on sir!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Wants2Win

Theolesnort

A top 5 class according to a service does not make it so. I can understand why you recruitnics don't believe me but why should you not believe Coach Bielema or Barry Switzer or Bobby Bowden and many other top notch coaches that say recruiting off a services list can get you into trouble. In other words 4 and 5 star recruits don't translate into 5 and 4 star players much of the time. Point at Alabama all you want but Saban and staff work their butts off evaluating players. If he recruits a 4 or 5 star recruit he passes their thorough evaluation. Mack Brown recruits off a list in many cases and does not put in the work. Bobby Bowden is quoted as saying when he got into trouble was when he started recruiting off the list and he paid for not doing the thorough evaluations. Is this so hard to digest? When a service says a school has a top 10 class they are just giving a opinion that might be right or it might be wrong.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

HiggiePiggy

They might have a top 10 class, but it's up to the coach that recruits these kids to show that they are a top 10 class.  A coach can suck and that will reflect on the class also. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

TMc

I've always thought it would be 2015 before we started seeing really good classes. Honestly I'm impressed with what they are doing now.., depending on next year's season, the 15 class could be very good.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PorkSoda

Quote from: lowberh on January 24, 2014, 01:11:53 pm
I will go with 0% chance.  We won't even finish top 5 in the SEC.  I am not even sure the Hogs can finish top 5 in the SEC West with Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, and Ole Miss. 
LOL, come on man, we should at least be able to beat out ole miss. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

wupigsuey

Good post, man.

Looks like we're off to a good start but I think we need a 5* top be in the top five. Hopefully if you build it he will come.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Theolesnort

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 24, 2014, 07:07:59 pm
LOL, come on man, we should at least be able to beat out ole miss. 
Well it depends........ Do you want to get involved with what it takes like ole miss? Hey I am game, but not everyone who counts is.

pigture perfect

I may be the most optimistic poster on the board, but I think it's unlikely. Even if we sign the best athletes, other schools athletes will get the stars just because of who they are.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 24, 2014, 07:23:09 pm
I may be the most optimistic poster on the board, but I think it's unlikely. Even if we sign the best athletes, other schools athletes will get the stars just because of who they are.
You're nowhere near the most optimistic poster on the board.

ldfergu

This could only mean that 2018 is our year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

razorjack12

Our 2015 class is definitely off to a good start, but consider the makeup of 2013's Top Ten and Top Five recruiting classes:

Top 10 recruiting classes averaged:

2.2 Five Star recruits per team
13.2 Four Star recruits per team

A team needed a minimum of 9 Four star recruits to break the Top 10.

The Top 5 recruiting classes averaged:

2.6 Five Star recruits
14.6 Four Star recruits

And needed a minimum of 14 Four Star recruits to make the list.

If Arkansas' 2015 class is going to break into the Top Ten, we will have to double the number of Four Star recruits PLUS add 2 Five Star recruits.

I'd say a top 15 class is very posible, but a Top 10 class is unlikley.

superior_wang

Jek Tono Porkins

Currently, the 5th-best recruiting class is Texa$ A&M. They have three 5* recruits and ten 4* star recruits.

We're not going to be in the top 5. We might crack the top 15 with the 2015 class.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Theolesnort

LZH

Only in Arkansas can we come off of the worst season in over 50 years and still hear "Top 5 class" and "SEC Championship".

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

trashcan maN

Quote from: LedZepHog on January 25, 2014, 01:04:36 pm
Only in Arkansas can we come off of the worst season in over 50 years and still hear "Top 5 class" and "SEC Championship".
I know you're trying your hand at a little Hogville humor, but our class is 20% done and we are top 5. We won't finish there and likely won't finish in the top 10, but the statements aren't coming out of nowhere.

We have jumped out to an unbelievable start for next year by already equaling the number of top prospects we normally sign in an entire class.

It already looks like it could be our highest rated class ever, even if we sign all 3* from here on out.

LZH

Quote from: kj0N on January 25, 2014, 01:27:23 pm
I know you're trying your hand at a little Hogville humor, but our class is 20% done and we are top 5. We won't finish there and likely won't finish in the top 10, but the statements aren't coming out of nowhere.
We have jumped out to an unbelievable start for next year by already equaling the number of top prospects we normally sign in an entire class.
It already looks like it will probably be our highest rated class ever, even if we sign all 3* from here on out.

Then I guess I was only 20% kidding.  I can't remember a single offseason that I couldn't find some reason to cause me to be at least moderately optimistic.  But from the end of the LSU game up til right now, I haven't seen anything going on that blows my skirt up at all.  It just feels like more of the same is right around the corner.

Theolesnort

What I like is three or four years down the road a class is reranked a top 5 Class. Call it reality vs fantasy

trashcan maN

Quote from: Theolesnort on January 25, 2014, 01:44:54 pm
What I like is three or four years down the road a class is reranked a top 5 Class. Call it reality vs fantasy
Agree. This is why it's foolish to judge a coach's first couple of classes when 3/4 of the recruits haven't seen any significant PT.

hawgmasta

Top 5? It's always possible but unlikely.

Top 15? If we continue to pursue and land four stars then I say we could easily do it.
I honestly believe if we consistently land top 20-25 classes with a top 15 every 3-4 years that will be good enough to compete year in year out.

DoctorSusscrofa

Right now, it's way too early to start counting chickens.  There's plenty of time for somebody to do the Eleumunor Shuffle (step, step, side-shuffle, step, step, side-shuffle).  If Arkansas wins 5 or 6 games this coming season and our freshmen, sophomores and juniors end up being our best players, then we probably keep everybody and add a few more good ones.  If we win 4 or less, somebody probably decommits and we go back to getting mainly 2.5 and 3 stars.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

gmarv

whats so hard about letting people have there day.
right now its a great start.

Pigdiana Jones

Come on, guys. This isn't NCAA football 14 for your xbox/ps3.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

HawgFan70

A top 5 class takes at least 1 and usually 2 5 stars and from 11-16 4 stars. We are a long way from that. We may be in the top 15 and middle of the pack SEC which would be improvement
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

FATHAWG08

This is the best start that I can remember ever having to a a class that is a year out. Why sit here and  debate on how we will finish? I'm impress with the start and refuse to put limits on how this class will pan out.  Just sit back & enjoy,we are off to a great start & will start drawing attention of other recruits that want to be a part of a Great Class. Hey if it can happen at Ole Miss why not here?
I love off season Football!!

three hog night

It looks to be at least a Top 10-15 range class and that would be great.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Jackrabbit Hog

If that crew-cut, donut-eating, cliché-spewing Phil Fulmer-wannabe Butch Jones can pull off a top 5 class, hey, anything is possible.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

thebignasty

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 26, 2014, 09:31:08 am
If that crew-cut, donut-eating, cliché-spewing Phil Fulmer-wannabe Butch Jones can pull off a top 5 class, hey, anything is possible.
You ever had donuts'n'gravy? Tell you what thats some good eatin' right there.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: LedZepHog on January 25, 2014, 01:04:36 pm

You're right, we should all just be looking to beat Vanderbilt and Kentucky. I learned a lesson a long time ago and it is "begin with the end in mind." You're not gonna make it to the stars unless you shoot for them.
This is my non-signature signature.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: thebignasty on January 26, 2014, 09:38:28 am
You ever had donuts'n'gravy? Tell you what thats some good eatin' right there.

Anything 'n gravy is good eatin'.  Gravy is one of the four basic food groups.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Lake City Hog

Think about this, we are finishing with a pretty good looking group right now(2014) and when I checked 247 today we were ranked #32.

This BS about re-ranking classes doesn't matter 1 iota. We sign who we sign and it is up to this staff to turn them into football players. It seems like we go thru this each and every year.

Go to the recruiting board and you will see posts hailing a new 3* recruit as a probable starter this fall. Why, because this staff knows which kids are really under-rated. But, in the very next breath all they can say is "stars really do matter".

Guys we will more than likely finish next year right on or possibly a little above our 12 year Team Recruiting Ranking average, #29. During the past 12 years we have finished as high as #16 and as low as #41, but it still averaged to #29.
We could have a spike and hit #16 again or we could hit a dry spot and hit closer to #40.

Think about this one thing, we have been fairly competitive overall for the past 12 years. Throw out some inept coaching and we could have been even more competitive. Can we challenge for a NC recruiting at #29, nope. But, let's work our way towards competing for a division and winning some bowl games before trying to claim a spot in the NC Game! And we can compete with classes much like our norm, we have proved that. As our record improves our recruiting should improve every year.