Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Practice facility

Started by reddogjcss, January 20, 2014, 08:03:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Our players should never have to practice in the HPER. Glad the new facility is coming soon!

(NOTE: its HPER, not Hyper)

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 05, 2014, 04:23:23 pm
Our players should never have to practice in the HPER. Glad the new facility is coming soon!

It drives me nuts when people say Hyper, too. I completely understand non-students/faculty saying it. I know people who work there and still say it.

ricepig

If they can't beat whomever is up, we've got a bigger problem than a practice facility.

yraciv

Come on your nitpicking.  Yes I'm aware it is technically the HPER, but how do you even pronounce that? Hyper rolls off the tongue, and in my 4 years on campus I didn't hear any student's pronounce it differently.

McKdaddy

Quote from: yraciv on May 05, 2014, 04:52:30 pm
in my 4 years on campus I didn't hear any student's pronounce it differently.

Agreed. Heard players pronounce it that way as well.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on January 21, 2014, 10:50:00 am
I don't think people are understanding this. The Practice Facility will allow players a place they can go and hang out and allow them to practice on their own after hours. I remember Roteni going to a different gym in Fay to shoot at night when BWA wouldn't allow him to come in and shoot.

Exactly. People complain about how raw players are but aren't willing to give them a place to practice anytime they want to can. Ironic

-Blu

UNCLE BACK

I'm ready so if we stink in a few years, nobody including our players can use it as an excuse. We need it no doubt but it doesn't need to be the main excuse why we can't get to the NCAA tourney. How many 5* players have we lost because we didn't have one. I bet zero, I pay the foundation extra now to help build it and I really really think we need it, just think we have other issues just as glaring.

Swinesong1

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 05, 2014, 08:27:40 pm
I'm ready so if we stink in a few years, nobody including our players can use it as an excuse. We need it no doubt but it doesn't need to be the main excuse why we can't get to the NCAA tourney. How many 5* players have we lost because we didn't have one. I bet zero, I pay the foundation extra now to help build it and I really really think we need it, just think we have other issues just as glaring.
By your first sentence, you're not coming across as very smart if you'e investing money in a product (the team) that you don't believe will win.

The_Iceman

Come on your nitpicking.  Yes I'm aware it is technically the HPER, but how do you even pronounce that? Hyper rolls off the tongue, and in my 4 years on campus I didn't hear any student's pronounce it differently.

Pronounced "hyper", but spelled HPER. Stands for "Health, Physical Education, and Recreation" building.

MatCauthon

Quote from: jry04 on May 05, 2014, 04:27:28 pm
It drives me nuts when people say Hyper, too. I completely understand non-students/faculty saying it. I know people who work there and still say it.

Every student on every campus everywhere pronounces it hyper

The_Iceman

Quote from: MatCauthon on May 06, 2014, 08:48:08 am
Every student on every campus everywhere pronounces it hyper

I think when he says "say", he means types on Twitter. Everyone pronounces it "hyper", but thats not how its spelled.

HOGINTENNESSEE

May 06, 2014, 10:35:45 am #62 Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:46:25 am by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 05, 2014, 08:27:40 pm

What if we start landing big recruits and start winning big? After we get it.

Will you still believe it has no impact?

nextlevel

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 06, 2014, 10:35:45 am
What if we start landing big recruits and start winning big? After we get it.

Will you still believe if has no impact?

What if a player improves his shooting % each season?

Still no impact?
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

MountieDawg

SEC!

Break & Run

Come on people.  If it wasn't for the Walton family, we wouldn't have Bud Walton Arena; therefore, two weeks in late May/early June will not make or break the basketball team.  The HPER has three courts, they can practice there for two freaking weeks.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

ricepig

Quote from: Break & Run on May 06, 2014, 02:17:40 pm
Come on people.  If it wasn't for the Walton family, we wouldn't have Bud Walton Arena; therefore, two weeks in late May/early June will not make or break the basketball team.  The HPER has three courts, they can practice there for two freaking weeks.

Last I checked, May 5th thru June 8th wasn't a couple of weeks. We probably don't need all those football practice fields, we have the intramural fields.....

nextlevel

Quote from: ricepig on May 06, 2014, 02:24:41 pm
Last I checked, May 5th thru June 8th wasn't a couple of weeks. We probably don't need all those football practice fields, we have the intramural fields.....

Same logic and you can add baseball is played out doors, so why do they need an IPF?

The guys can not go into the HPER and shoot a thousand jump shots from various spots on the floor during their free time each day.

The can go into the HPER and play a pick up game.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

The_Iceman

Quote from: nextlevel on May 06, 2014, 02:34:23 pm
Same logic and you can add baseball is played out doors, so why do they need an IPF?

The guys can not go into the HPER and shoot a thousand jump shots from various spots on the floor during their free time each day.

The can go into the HPER and play a pick up game.

What about the days the block off one court for badminton and another court for volleyball. Then there are 50 guys waiting to play on one court.

Unless you are a former student at the UofA, you don't understand how crazy the HPER is.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 06, 2014, 02:37:55 pm
What about the days the block off one court for badminton and another court for volleyball. Then there are 50 guys waiting to play on one court.

Unless you are a former student at the UofA, you don't understand how crazy the HPER is.

Well, I attended in the late 70's and we had two courts at the Men's gym. We did get to play some intramural games in Barnhill, though.

nextlevel

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 06, 2014, 02:37:55 pm

True.

Having the HPER doesn't make the benefit of a PF for basketball disappear.

Arkansas did not need the FOC, everything existed already on campus, recruiting hasn't benefited from having it, you could say not having it would hurt because everyone else does have something similar, well, every school has a PF for basketball in the SEC and at other major basketball programs across the country, even at places like VCU.

ell oh ell

greasy_corner

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 06, 2014, 08:39:42 am
Pronounced "hyper", but spelled HPER. Stands for "Health, Physical Education, and Recreation" building.

Good thing they didn't name it the "Health, Recreation, and Physical Education" building.  Then we'd all call it the Herpe building.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Break & Run on May 06, 2014, 02:17:40 pm

you realize they aren't just talking about the need practice times, right? There is more to this than simply not being able to hold workouts during this off-season period.

Also, that HPER building is the same one that was built when the University had about 14,000 students. It now has 25,000 students. It might even need a bigger and better HPER building, come to think of it.

But sure, just tell everybody to get the hell out while the basketball team conducts the individual off-season improvement workouts during what appears to be a month, not two weeks.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

fineswine

I love the red herring argument that the lack of a practice facility prevents us from doing better on the recruiting trail.  Coach Anderson has been a below average recruiter his entire career.

311Hog

Quote from: fineswine on May 09, 2014, 06:18:33 pm
I love the red herring argument that the lack of a practice facility prevents us from doing better on the recruiting trail.  Coach Anderson has been a below average recruiter his entire career.

i do not think it is a red herring. We haven't "done better" on the recruiting trail for alot of reasons some are impossible to identify or quantify. All the lack of an indoor practice facility exclusive for the bball team is, is an identifiable and quantifiable reason why we might not have had as much success as we "could" have if we had one.  I mean being the only school in your conference that doesn't should speak volumes to everyone, you know one of these things is not like the other type situation.

Will its presence assure success? who knows maybe maybe not but it sticks out or did stick out as pretty glaring difference between us and them. Them being the rest of the SEC.  If we are suppose to be big time college basketball we should at least look like a big time collage basketball program in every way possible that can be controlled by someone not dribbling a ball. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jim Harris on May 09, 2014, 04:45:10 pm
you realize they aren't just talking about the need practice times, right? There is more to this than simply not being able to hold workouts during this off-season period.

Also, that HPER building is the same one that was built when the University had about 14,000 students. It now has 25,000 students. It might even need a bigger and better HPER building, come to think of it.

But sure, just tell everybody to get the hell out while the basketball team conducts the individual off-season improvement workouts during what appears to be a month, not two weeks.

The only part of the HPER building that was built with the interests of the athletic department in mind was the swimming pool. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

I read somewhere where the HPER building was rated either last or second to last among SEC schools. I remember when I was in college, the big thing going around was the UofA was trying to buy Fayetteville high school and have them build a new campus somewhere else.

But all the parents at Fayetteville whined about not wanting to move and wanting to be close to the UofA, so Arkansas missed out on the opportunity to expand its campus and build a new HPER facility and other buildings for other departments.

jry04

With my post I meant spell it hyper. I will get texts from people saying her, when it is HPER. Didn't mean to say "say hyper."

colbs

There is no reason why the 3rd best basketball program in the SEC should be the only team without a practice facility in the league.  I don't think MA will start pulling 5* all of sudden after it is built, but it will help recruiting.  You know every program is using that when recruiting against Arkansas.

ricepig

Looked like a lot of the foundation has been poured from my quick drive by yesterday. My son quipped, I bet they build this quicker than the Pi Phi gate which took three years, lol.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: colbs on May 12, 2014, 12:25:24 pm
You know every program is using that when recruiting against Arkansas.

All of that should have ended last fall. Any recruit of ours since then will have seen the visuals, mock ups, etc. and know a new facility will be here by the time they arrive.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

nextlevel

Quote from: colbs on May 12, 2014, 12:25:24 pm
There is no reason why the 3rd best basketball program in the SEC should be the only team without a practice facility in the league.  I don't think MA will start pulling 5* all of sudden after it is built, but it will help recruiting.  You know every program is using that when recruiting against Arkansas.

It won't be used against Arkansas, that will be the largest impact as far as recruiting.

It will show its worth in player development and to be more valuable for Jimmy Dykes' program than the men's program in as little as 2-4 years after the completion via on time graduation numbers.

ell oh ell

Jim Harris

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2014, 06:47:06 am
The only part of the HPER building that was built with the interests of the athletic department in mind was the swimming pool. 

right, but 20-25 years ago, the basketball program was given preferred practice times on certain days with Barnhill was in use or Bud Walton was being set up for Wal-Mart, etc. And they were open and everybody watched and couldn't wait for the coming season. (something else that has changed; I'm not sure closed practices now are that big a deal because I'm not sure if there are near as many folks who would want to be there anyway.).

What's changed besides the university's size and the HPER that was build for 14,000 students is that 20 years ago, the head men's coach controlled Bud Walton for every day he wanted to except when Wal-Mart needed in there for stockholders. That also changed. The University calls the shots. Things that Frank would have never done (for better of for worse), the UA is doing in the name of more revenue. Same song, same verse these days.

A facility that would serve both men's and women's teams and provide training for basketball and the Olympic sports on campus, plus a general place for the basketball players to converge at times to their liking — I think it was needed yesterday. It's amazing to me that Ole Miss of all places had a nice practice facility and they are just now building a new arena to replace the Tad.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jim Harris on May 12, 2014, 06:06:08 pm
right, but 20-25 years ago, the basketball program was given preferred practice times on certain days with Barnhill was in use or Bud Walton was being set up for Wal-Mart, etc. And they were open and everybody watched and couldn't wait for the coming season. (something else that has changed; I'm not sure closed practices now are that big a deal because I'm not sure if there are near as many folks who would want to be there anyway.).

What's changed besides the university's size and the HPER that was build for 14,000 students is that 20 years ago, the head men's coach controlled Bud Walton for every day he wanted to except when Wal-Mart needed in there for stockholders. That also changed. The University calls the shots. Things that Frank would have never done (for better of for worse), the UA is doing in the name of more revenue. Same song, same verse these days.

A facility that would serve both men's and women's teams and provide training for basketball and the Olympic sports on campus, plus a general place for the basketball players to converge at times to their liking — I think it was needed yesterday. It's amazing to me that Ole Miss of all places had a nice practice facility and they are just now building a new arena to replace the Tad.

Some very good stuff. Some fans don't realize that it isn't the areas the fans use and sit that is most important but the areas the players use.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

colemjh

Foundation being poured this morning where our new practice court will be

Tweet from Jimmy Dykes.

https://twitter.com/CoachJimmyDykes/status/467289233049526273/photo/1

nwahogfan1

Quote from: reddogjcss on January 20, 2014, 08:03:37 pm
Throwing this out to see what you think.
When we have the practice facility do you think they will play better on the road?
Now the practice court is BWA and home game is on the practice court.
When we have the new practice facility will it help or will it hurt? At least most practices will be on a different court!
I think it should help them play on the road better but worried they want have the same home court advantage we have today!
What's your thought?
I think if your talent level is good enough to win on the road then it is more about having players who play well together and are mentally tough and focused. 

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

BigE_23

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 21, 2014, 09:52:50 am
Familiarity breeds content.

Contempt...the actual phrase is familiarity breeds contempt. Not content.

It means that people do not respect someone they know well enough to know his or her faults. In no way does that idiom apply in this instance.

Ok, my work here is done.

mbgrulz

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on June 03, 2014, 07:25:51 pm
Any pictorial updates?
Drove by the other day and it looked like all of the foundation work had been done
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

scruf

Every student I ever played ball with actually called it "The Hype" or "Da Hype," to include all of the student-athletes that played there.

choppedporkextrasauce

Iceman, back in the day during the Walker/Robertson/Kleine era they had pick up games in that awful gym to the north of the Union. It was an old place not without charm. I remember Robertson who was unknown at the time totally dominating some guy who had the misfortune of telling Robertson no one dunked on him. the results were brutal

Ironhawg

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on June 08, 2014, 03:14:12 pm
Iceman, back in the day during the Walker/Robertson/Kleine era they had pick up games in that awful gym to the north of the Union. It was an old place not without charm. I remember Robertson who was unknown at the time totally dominating some guy who had the misfortune of telling Robertson no one dunked on him. the results were brutal

I remember that place.  That's where they did arena registrations for those who needed classes or who were unlucky enough to have the UA registration system botch their class schedules.  That place was like a sauna registering for fall classes!

ricepig

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on June 08, 2014, 03:14:12 pm
Men's gym was the name.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2014, 10:25:24 pm
Men's gym was the name.
That's now getting turned into a concert hall for the music department.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Inhogswetrust

June 09, 2014, 07:08:39 pm #95 Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:37:01 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2014, 10:25:24 pm
Men's gym was the name.

That was the gym used by the basketball team prior to Barnhill Arena. We played intramural ball there. It was also used for various other functions then such as getting your class schedule cards. When both Barnhill and the HPER building were both operational it was eventually turned into the UA museum.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on June 09, 2014, 10:32:21 am
That's now getting turned into a concert hall for the music department.

They need it.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 09, 2014, 07:08:39 pm
That was the gym used by the basketball team prior to Barnhill Arena. We played intramural ball there. It was also used for various other functions then such as getting your class schedule cards. When both barn hill and the HPER building were both operational it was eventually turned into the UA museum.

Yep, registered for class in their several times, the old punch card system.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2014, 07:19:20 pm

Yep, registered for class in their several times, the old punch card system.

Don't forget the Racing Form!

The_Iceman

Beams are going up at the Practice facility.