Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas media vs. Petrino

Started by VT HOG, January 12, 2014, 04:18:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HumpinHog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 05, 2014, 01:25:23 pm
Again, deflect as much as possible...nice job.  I would expect you to take a swipe at BB in lieu of your boy BP. 

But, I'll answer the question.  He's not doing as well as he would like, and obviously he's not doing as well as you would like.  He's probably not doing as well as most Hog fans would like.  It wasn't as good as I would have liked to see.  Did that cover it enough for you? 

SDLBP  (still don't like Bobby Petrino)  I'm thinking of that as my new tagline.     :P

You bring nothing but insults and personal attacks. It amazes me that the mods put up with it.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on February 05, 2014, 01:50:52 pm
No, I don't want to "learn" moronic conspiracy theories that are not rooted in the truth.

NFL teams spend thousands of dollars on draft prep. An owner or GM or coach would not torpedo his teams chances at winning just to "get back" at Petrino. It's stupid to think they would.

I believe that could be the case. Thebignasty should give his opinion on the Mallett conspiracy

seasonhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 05, 2014, 01:26:00 pm
I agree. Questions surrounding Mallett with regard to his extra curricular habits was a big factor in his falling draft status. ESPN didn't party with him. He did that to himself.

Come on Irvin, you know better then that.

I don't believe Mallett ever fail a drug test?

That was what ESPN, NFL used for cover.

I see players accused of rape, stealing, smoking pot, & it does not hurt their draft status.

You said BP was nice to you until..........did he kick your dog or what.

Be nice....Louisville tv might hire you as there sport director one day then what ?

dgfclt

Quote from: VT HOG on January 12, 2014, 04:18:38 am
Has anyone else noticed the Arkansas media (Bo Mattingly, 93.3 morning guy, etc.) is now laughing at and slamming Louisville for hiring Petrino because of how terrible he was at Arkansas?

They're saying he was a total jerk, he couldn't recruit, and basically we're better off without him. I don't have a problem with the media having this opinion. It's just ironic because when he was here they couldn't get enough of him.

They'd defend him when callers that were fans of other schools would call in and make the same exact arguments against Petrino that the Arkansas media is making now. I know they don't want to burn bridges with Jeff Long and Bielema, but I just think its funny.

Life is always peachy when the wins are coming in bunches.  They probably always thought he was a jerk but he was winning so they put up it.

porkrindjimmy

Deflect?? Swipes? I will take swipes at 0-8. 9 losses in a row. If Petrino had done it here, I would be swiping at Petrino. There is no excuse for going winless in this conference. Not this program.

People love to point out Petrinos shortcomings at recruiting. I hear 7 linebackers yada, yada. I hear recruiting only skill positions on the offensive side of the ball....this coach is recruiting at the same rate when it comes to linebackers.

I have said countless times, Petrino has been gone two years. I have moved on. What I am not going to move on from is 10-3, 11-2 to 3-9 and a winless conference season. That is unacceptable. I want a winning program, like most people who follow the program. You on the other hand are concerned about your hatred for Bobby and I am sure enjoy posting yourself throwing the "A" on facebook.

In the past two days I have spoken to two people, one, a Bama fan in Jackson, Mississippi. When I walked in with my hog hat on, he said what is up with your hogs? He said y'all made a huge mistake firing Petrino. Secondly, talked to a hog fan in Dumas last night who owned a bbq joint there, said the only way for Arkansas to reach the top is they better start spending money...and he was afraid since we fired Petrino, it is all over for us. I talk.to SEC fans all over the south every week. They dont share your concern over Petrino. Fact is, we play in most corrupt, immoral conference in the country yet you are bellyaching on and on about that monster Petrino...he is mean to people, he cussed at players, destroying programs, blah, blah, yada, yada....this is bigtime football, not tiddlywinks...

PRJ

seasonhog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on February 05, 2014, 02:47:23 pm
Deflect?? Swipes? I will take swipes at 0-8. 9 losses in a row. If Petrino had done it here, I would be swiping at Petrino. There is no excuse for going winless in this conference. Not this program.

People love to point out Petrinos shortcomings at recruiting. I hear 7 linebackers yada, yada. I hear recruiting only skill positions on the offensive side of the ball....this coach is recruiting at the same rate when it comes to linebackers.

I have said countless times, Petrino has been gone two years. I have moved on. What I am not going to move on from is 10-3, 11-2 to 3-9 and a winless conference season. That is unacceptable. I want a winning program, like most people who follow the program. You on the other hand are concerned about your hatred for Bobby and I am sure enjoy posting yourself throwing the "A" on facebook.

In the past two days I have spoken to two people, one, a Bama fan in Jackson, Mississippi. When I walked in with my hog hat on, he said what is up with your hogs? He said y'all made a huge mistake firing Petrino. Secondly, talked to a hog fan in Dumas last night who owned a bbq joint there, said the only way for Arkansas to reach the top is they better start spending money...and he was afraid since we fired Petrino, it is all over for us. I talk.to SEC fans all over the south every week. They dont share your concern over Petrino. Fact is, we play in most corrupt, immoral conference in the country yet you are bellyaching on and on about that monster Petrino...he is mean to people, he cussed at players, destroying programs, blah, blah, yada, yada....this is bigtime football, not tiddlywinks...

PRJ

+1

You posters that are bad mouthing BP, remove the scales from your eyes.
The truth hurt.

If you posters who bash BP want to win football games, post less & learn more,he is a winner.
If not, then carry on....

VT HOG

Y'all that are saying ESPN made Mallett look bad for no reason must have never met him lol. They were being nice by not putting it all out there.

HumpinHog

PRJ

What the choir boys don't understand is that there isn't such a thing as "clean" money.

LZH

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on February 05, 2014, 02:47:23 pmI am sure enjoy posting yourself throwing the "A" on facebook.

That's pretty good right there.....

urkillnmesmalls

PRJ

Cussing at players?  Really? 

You talked to two people.  Wow.  That's a huge sample size.  How would I even begin to refute a BBQ owner and a Bama fan?  Those two, and the 10 of your buddies here on Hogville should be enough to get things going exactly where you think they should be.  Re-hiring BP, and getting rid of Jeff Long. 

Or maybe...it's silly that you keep pining for BP and acting as if he was the savior of all things Razorback.

Again..history shows that there's a really good chance that BP's exit leads to some issues on the back side.  Now...you've obviously chosen not to place any of the blame on him, and heap it all on CBB.  That's exactly what I expect from some of you who don't have a 30K view of things, and only live in the world of "I want it today." 

BP won some games here in his first season, but he didn't face NEARLY the competition that we did this season.  I'm giving it some time, but if you would rather run our program down and prop BP up...then feel free.  With fans like you, who needs opponent's fan bases?   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 05, 2014, 03:14:55 pm
That's pretty good right there.....

I don't even own a Facebook account, or Twitter either.  But...it was a pretty good one. 

What I picture from this guy is him at home clucking to his friends about how much of a billy bad-ass Petrino was for cowboying up to the podium like that with half his grill on the Pig trail.  Then a few days later, reality hits and suddenly his hero had holes in his cape.  Well...in this case, it was holes in his story, but same difference....
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HumpinHog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 05, 2014, 04:05:49 pm
I don't even own a Facebook account, or Twitter either.  But...it was a pretty good one. 

What I picture from this guy is him at home clucking to his friends about how much of a billy bad-ass Petrino was for cowboying up to the podium like that with half his grill on the Pig trail.  Then a few days later, reality hits and suddenly his hero had holes in his cape.  Well...in this case, it was holes in his story, but same difference....

How many more personal attacks does it take, mods?

I have read the rules. He should have been banned long ago.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 05, 2014, 04:05:49 pm

That's really interesting

thebignasty

Quote from: ScottFaldon on February 05, 2014, 01:53:31 pm
Nah, Mike, we're missing it.

ESPN contacted every team in the NFL and ordered them not to draft Mallett. Arthur Blank is giving them all discounts at Home Depot on their next stadium projects as part of the deal. It's so OBVIOUS there was a conspiracy. OBVIOUSLY!
Don't forget Sean Salisbury's role in the destruction of everything Arkansas or Petrino.

Ryan is just another victim of the pr nightmare Salisbury creates for all arkansans or associates of Petrino.

Mike Irwin

February 05, 2014, 11:27:17 pm #614 Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:53:11 am by Mike Irwin
Quote from: seasonhog on February 05, 2014, 02:04:13 pm

Come on Irvin, you know better then that.

I don't believe Mallett ever fail a drug test?

That was what ESPN, NFL used for cover.

I see players accused of rape, stealing, smoking pot, & it does not hurt their draft status.

You said BP was nice to you until..........did he kick your dog or what.

Be nice....Louisville tv might hire you as there sport director one day then what ?
I'm 65. I'm working in the last TV job I will have. I'm not moving to Louisville or anywhere else.

I do have dogs. Four of them. They would eat Petrino for lunch if he tried to kick them.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: thebignasty on February 05, 2014, 10:10:04 pm
Don't forget Sean Salisbury's role in the destruction of everything Arkansas or Petrino.

Ryan is just another victim of the pr nightmare Salisbury creates for all arkansans or associates of Petrino.

Do tell more on the conspiracy with Ryan Mallett bignasty

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 05, 2014, 11:27:17 pm
I'm 65. I'm working in the last TV job I will have. I'm not moving to Louisville or anywhere else.

I do have dogs. Four of them. They would eat Petrino for lunch.

Mr Irwin, Petrino is disliked by all media but certainly national media

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on February 06, 2014, 02:40:41 am

Mr Irwin, Petrino is disliked by all media but certainly national media

Did you mean NOT "disliked by all media but certainly national media"?  If so I agree.

I think a lot of people, media included, form opinions of people we've never met. There are plenty of people in the national sports media who dislike Petrino even though they don't personally know him. They are reacting to a long laundry list of things he has done.

From personal experience I can say that it's sometimes misleading to judge people you've not met.

Two examples.

I had always heard that baseball great Willie Mays was a real jackass. I met him in the early 80's. Talked to him for a good 30 minutes and found him to be an extremely humble and gracious individual.

Just last year I met Terrell Owens for the first time. The difference between the man's image and how he comes across in person is astonishing.

thirrdegreetusker

As to the whole issue of the NFL not drafting Mallett high enough.........

They are just guessing, too. A little better than the rest of us, but still guessing. First rounders get cut or waived or traded all the time.

Here are the quarterbacks, listed in order of their draft, taken in the 2000 draft:

18   Chad Penningtion         Marshall
65   Giovanni Carmazzi        Hofstra
75   Chris Redman              Louisville
163  Tee Martin                 Tennessee
168  Marc Bulger                West Virginia
183  Spergon Wynn            SW Texas St
199  Tom Brady                 Michigan

Yes, every team in the NFL had multiple chances to draft Tom Brady. Discuss........

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 06, 2014, 10:09:28 am
As to the whole issue of the NFL not drafting Mallett high enough.........

They are just guessing, too. A little better than the rest of us, but still guessing. First rounders get cut or waived or traded all the time.

Here are the quarterbacks, listed in order of their draft, taken in the 2000 draft:

18   Chad Penningtion         Marshall
65   Giovanni Carmazzi        Hofstra
75   Chris Redman              Louisville
163  Tee Martin                 Tennessee
168  Marc Bulger                West Virginia
183  Spergon Wynn            SW Texas St
199  Tom Brady                 Michigan

Yes, every team in the NFL had multiple chances to draft Tom Brady. Discuss........

Some things can't be explained.  I've seen guys shoot even par every time out on their home course with their buddies.  Then you put them on a different course, and they can't crack 80.  Put them on their home course with strangers in a tournament...and they can't crack 80.  Put them on a new course with strangers in a tournament...and they won't break 90.  Not exaggerating an ounce.  By contrast, there's always someone who can't crack 80, but has a gambling spirit, and they can make an 8 foot putt for a 10 hole carry over skin like it's a 6" tap in.  They can putt like a Pro under pressure, and there's no way to explain that.   

The mental aspect of the game is so high at the NFL level, because they're all gifted physically.  Brady just has it...no explanation for it. 

urkillnmesmalls

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2014, 10:27:00 am
Some things can't be explained.  I've seen guys shoot even par every time out on their home course with their buddies.  Then you put them on a different course, and they can't crack 80.  Put them on their home course with strangers in a tournament...and they can't crack 80.  Put them on a new course with strangers in a tournament...and they won't break 90.  Not exaggerating an ounce.  By contrast, there's always someone who can't crack 80, but has a gambling spirit, and they can make an 8 foot putt for a 10 hole carry over skin like it's a 6" tap in.  They can putt like a Pro under pressure, and there's no way to explain that.   

The mental aspect of the game is so high at the NFL level, because they're all gifted physically.  Brady just has it...no explanation for it.

Gil Brandt was the architect of the scout/draft system that kept the Dallas Cowboys in solid contention for over 20 years. They signed a basketball player, who never played a down of college football, and he became an all-pro DB. Despite being one of the winingest teams of the 60s and 70s, they almost always ended up with better players than teams who drafted ahead of them.

When asked about his secret, he told a sportwriter that they worked hard, and taken some risks, and yes, gotten lucky a couple of times. But then he said "I wish there was a way you could stick a needle in a kid's arm, and measure HEART. Then we would never make a mistake."

Some players has extraordinary physical gifts, but fall into the category of "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".

seasonhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 06, 2014, 06:51:15 am
Did you mean NOT "disliked by all media but certainly national media"?  If so I agree.

I think a lot of people, media included, form opinions of people we've never met. There are plenty of people in the national sports media who dislike Petrino even though they don't personally know him. They are reacting to a long laundry list of things he has done.

From personal experience I can say that it's sometimes misleading to judge people you've not met.

Two examples.

I had always heard that baseball great Willie Mays was a real jackass. I met him in the early 80's. Talked to him for a good 30 minutes and found him to be an extremely humble and gracious individual.

Just last year I met Terrell Owens for the first time. The difference between the man's image and how he comes across in person is astonishing.

good post, Irwin

TheRazorbackGuy

Two examples.

That's what it is the national media doesnt like the migget BP

hog911

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 05, 2014, 12:45:18 am
I know exactly what I'm talking about.  I don't care for Bobby Petrino.  I'm glad you've painted this elaborate picture of how you view me in your mind's eye, but it does seem a little creepy that you have envisioned me even down to me wearing a scarf to work.  That's a pretty vivid imagination you've got there.     

I'm sorry that it hurts your feelings when I pointed out that your perceived importance by putting "PRJ" at the end of all of your posts is lame, and reflective of some sort of "look at my posts...they're so good I need to put PRJ at the end just in case someone might not to precisely who to credit with this masterpiece." 

But it makes sense, since you're the type of person who also results to insults when you don't have a leg to stand on.  But it's OK, the world needs insecure people too.   :P

PRJ is a legend on this site! Remember the 48 hour post?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hog911 on February 06, 2014, 08:24:43 pm

PRJ is a legend on this site! Remember the 48 hour post?

No.  I either missed it or wasn't here at the time. 

thirrdegreetusker

In the past two days I have spoken to two people, one, a Bama fan in Jackson, Mississippi. When I walked in with my hog hat on, he said what is up with your hogs? He said y'all made a huge mistake firing Petrino. Secondly, talked to a hog fan in Dumas last night who owned a bbq joint there, said the only way for Arkansas to reach the top is they better start spending money...and he was afraid since we fired Petrino, it is all over for us. I talk.to SEC fans all over the south every week. They dont share your concern over Petrino.

Yes, and folks outside the state could not figure out why we ran off Nutt, either. Now they know.

thirrdegreetusker

Interesting, Mike. I am about your age, and a life-long follower of sports. I never heard that about the "Say Hey" kid. Always heard he was a class act.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 05, 2014, 01:26:00 pm
I agree. Questions surrounding Mallett with regard to his extra curricular habits was a big factor in his falling draft status. ESPN didn't party with him. He did that to himself.

Mr. Irwin, Mallett kicked it just like your boy Johnny Football except they won't go after him and he will be a top 5 pick... I think ESPN did go hard on Mallett

seasonhog

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on February 07, 2014, 11:48:38 am
Mr. Irwin, Mallett kicked it just like your boy Johnny Football except they won't go after him and he will be a top 5 pick... I think ESPN did go hard on Mallett

Yes....& Irwin know it.

Großer Kriegschwein

Still not in Vents & Rumors I see....wonder why?
This is my non-signature signature.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ScottFaldon on February 07, 2014, 02:33:26 pm
Because there's not a forum called "Idiotic Conspiracy Theories Involving Arkansas Sports."

Or one called "Long Dong Silver takes a ride in the Ozarks." But there should be.
This is my non-signature signature.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on February 07, 2014, 11:48:38 am
Even if both Mallett and Manziel had been model citizens Mallett's draft status would have been nowhere close to Manziel's.

Manziel won the Heisman as a redshirt freshman. Mallett never sniffed the Heisman.

Mallett had a strong arm but Alabama exposed him in '09 and even though he played much better against them the following year his two picks in the second half decided the game.

Manziel beat Alabama as a freshman and did everything but beat them this past season.

I was told that the NFL people place a lot of stock in how quarterbacks perform against Alabama because their defense gives the best NFL-like look that you can get in the college game.

It remains to be seen if Manziel's unique skills will translate to the NFL but it's likely that  a bunch of NFL GMs are willing to take a chance that it will.

Finally, Mallett answered some very blunt questions about his personal life during the pre-draft process. He said publicly that he was very honest. I think he assumed it would elevate his draft status to come clean. By all accounts it hurt him.

I would not look for Manziel to be as forthcoming.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 07, 2014, 10:43:57 pm
Even if both Mallett and Manziel had been model citizens Mallett's draft status would have been nowhere close to Manziel's.

Manziel won the Heisman as a redshirt freshman. Mallett never sniffed the Heisman.

Mallett had a strong arm but Alabama exposed him in '09 and even though he played much better against them the following year his two picks in the second half decided the game.

Manziel beat Alabama as a freshman and did everything but beat them this past season.

I was told that the NFL people place a lot of stock in how quarterbacks perform against Alabama because their defense gives the best NFL-like look that you can get in the college game.

It remains to be seen if Manziel's unique skills will translate to the NFL but it's likely that  a bunch of NFL GMs are willing to take a chance that it will.

Finally, Mallett answered some very blunt questions about his personal life during the pre-draft process. He said publicly that he was very honest. I think he assumed it would elevate his draft status to come clean. By all accounts it hurt him.

If you're the GM or owner for the Texans, how do you NOT take Manziel over Clowney (or anyone else for that matter)?  Can you imagine what it would feel like to pass on a kid that touches the ball on every play on offense, versus someone who may make a few impact plays a game on defense, only to watch Manziel end up being a star for another team? 

I don't see how they can take that risk.  I saw where Wade Phillips put his .10 in on taking Manziel.

Oh..and while I sincerely hope Mallett gets his shot, and does great things one day, there's more to being a great QB than being able to throw the ball through a brick wall.  It was awesome to see him just flip it 50 yards like that though, and it's hard to believe that he hasn't even gotten a shot yet. 

seasonhog

Why do you bash Mallett?,,,  because he played for BP?

So much for been honest.

Are you saying if he would have lied he might have been a first round pick.
so much for the world today.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 07, 2014, 10:56:35 am
Interesting, Mike. I am about your age, and a life-long follower of sports. I never heard that about the "Say Hey" kid. Always heard he was a class act.
Maybe around fans but the word in the media was that he was worse than Ted Williams to deal with. He was long past his playing days by that time and maybe that made a difference. Maybe if I'd been a MLB sportswriter talking to him after a game he would have told me to buzz off.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 11:02:23 pm

So much for been honest.

I didn't bash him at all. What I posted was exactly what I was told back then about his falling draft status.

Also you jump to so many conclusions it's really hard to follow your reasoning.

What does Bobby Petrino have to do with this? I haven't mentioned him one time in this discussion.

And what's this stuff about him being a first round pick if he'd lied to NFL GM's ? I never posted anything like that. Did you bother to read this: Even if both Mallett and Manziel had been model citizens Mallett's draft status would have been nowhere close to Manziel's.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: seasonhog on February 07, 2014, 11:02:23 pm

So much for been honest.

Bash?  That wasn't bashing.  He gave facts.  Mallett had a few opportunities to be a hero, and unfortunately they didn't pan out, minus the UGA game comeback.  It's not bashing...it just happened.  I would say that had he not thrown the pick and we would have won the Sugar Bowl, it would have elevated him, and it probably would have.  But in truth...if he had played better in the 4th Qtr. against Bama, we might not have been in the Sugar Bowl.  Either way....it didn't go the good way, as much as it did the bad way...when the game was on the line, and it mattered most.  He still had some epic showing...like the 2010 LSU game for example.  Incredible arm strength.   

I still say...best UA QB I've seen in my lifetime.  I hope he gets a chance in the NFL...I truly do. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Seems to tell the truth can hurt you. The camera phone era has hurt these guys with social media also