Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas media vs. Petrino

Started by VT HOG, January 12, 2014, 04:18:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jkstock04

Quote from: VT HOG on January 12, 2014, 04:18:38 am
Has anyone else noticed the Arkansas media (Bo Mattingly, 93.3 morning guy, etc.) is now laughing at and slamming Louisville for hiring Petrino because of how terrible he was at Arkansas?

They're saying he was a total jerk, he couldn't recruit, and basically we're better off without him. I don't have a problem with the media having this opinion. It's just ironic because when he was here they couldn't get enough of him.

They'd defend him when callers that were fans of other schools would call in and make the same exact arguments against Petrino that the Arkansas media is making now. I know they don't want to burn bridges with Jeff Long and Bielema, but I just think its funny.
It's the same way with every coach. I actually heard Bo mention something to the fact that only NOW after Petrino is gone is he privy to say these things. That tells you right there the amount is spin that goes on while said coach is here.

Wait til BB is done here, it'll be interesting to see what all they have to say about him. I bet they will absolutely trash him and not think twice.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: olivebranchhog on January 12, 2014, 11:19:56 am
Took Arkansas from dumpster to 11 wins. That's winning. 

The year before BP came here we were 8-5, with a win over #1. "Dumpster"?

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 12, 2014, 11:30:34 am
Has Bobby ever had a team ranked high enough in the BCS ranking, after the final week of the regular season, that would have qualified for a "4 Team Playoff"? Because many seem to think he's a lock for it now.

I was thinking the same thing. The only way Louisville ever makes a 4-team playoff is if they are unbeaten, and there are no one-loss teams with names like Texas, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, Oregon, Stanford, Georgia, Nebraska.........................

EastexHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 12, 2014, 06:16:17 am
Everybody loves a winner, until you aren't a winner, or you take a pee on their program any coach or player while he is at Arkansas or committed to Arkansas.  He is so bad arse that we make up Chuck Norris jokes about him.  Then, as soon as he leaves, he instantly transforms into a sorry coach or player who no one in his right mind would ever want.  He becomes the lowest of the low and we are 100 times better off without him.

Keepin' it real for ya.

EastexHawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on January 13, 2014, 10:03:08 am

And the year Petrino was fired we were 11-2 and finished the season ranked #5.  We entered the next season ranked #8.

Do you wish you had $1 for every time you've read on this board that he left a dumpster fire at Arkansas?

Randy Johnson

"You do realize that Bo & the 93 guys are in the business of gaining listeners, don't you?"

My first thought. Every day they have to come up with something to get people to talk about them. The more outlandish the stuff, the more calls! That is the MO of talk radio.

forrest city joe

Quote from: TeedupHigh on January 12, 2014, 09:50:34 am
Talked with a Mother of one our former Stud Linemen (DT) she said no way in hell would she allow him in her house to recruit her younger son!
Did she vote for Bill Clinton? lot's of women did.

bobcat ball

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2014, 10:21:31 am
And the year Petrino was fired we were 11-2 and finished the season ranked #5.  We entered the next season ranked #8.

Do you wish you had $1 for every time you've read on this board that he left a dumpster fire at Arkansas?

So you think BP left everything in good shape?
WOO PIG

JD Hogg

January 13, 2014, 10:45:05 am #58 Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:00:20 am by JD Hogg
Most of the sports media in arkansas are just a mouthpiece for the BAC. They just do what they're told. Right now they have to pump up the current staff (we all know why) and the easiest way to do that is to continue to blame the previous administration. Sound familiar?

MJ2

It's the ex wife syndrone - you never see anything good about them after they're gone.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: JD Hogg on January 13, 2014, 10:45:05 am
Most of the sports media in arkansas are just a mouthpiece for the BAC. They just do what they're told. Right now they have to pump up the current staff (we all know why) and the easiest way to do that is to continue to blame the previous administration. Sound familiar?
I've been in the Arkansas sports media for 40 years. No one at the BAC has ever 'told" me to do anything. I do think there have been some reporters over the years who have protected the athletic department in certain situations. I don't think it's because they were "told" to do anything. They did it for their own reasons and those reasons vary.

JD Hogg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 13, 2014, 02:02:02 pm
I've been in the Arkansas sports media for 40 years. No one at the BAC has ever 'told" me to do anything. I do think there have been some reporters over the years who have protected the athletic department in certain situations. I don't think it's because they were "told" to do anything. They did it for their own reasons and those reasons vary.

Maybe it's to ingratiate themselves. Whatever the reason, they appear to be in step with what the athletic department wants. Most of them anyway.

Example; I listened to Chuck Barrett the week after USC pounded us in Malzahn's first year. He went on and on about how the (supposed) finesse offense we were running wasn't going to work in the SEC. That's exactly what Nutt wanted everyone to believe. The rest of that year and next he went on to equate fans to terrorists and proclaim that firing nutt would set the program back 10 years.

Guess who became the play by play announcer for hogs. 

Coincidence?

olivebranchhog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on January 13, 2014, 10:03:08 am

Ok. I'll revise my statement.  He took us from an average- mediocre program to being legitimately thought of as a championship contender.  He did that even through a change at QB. Something that hadn't happened in a very long time at Arkansas. 
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

nextlevel

Quote from: olivebranchhog on January 13, 2014, 05:32:37 pm
Ok. I'll revise my statement.  He took us from an average- mediocre program to being legitimately thought of as a championship contender.  He did that even through a change at QB. Something that hadn't happened in a very long time at Arkansas. 

Arkansas was actually playing for the SEC championship 2 years before his arrival. Had they won the same distant scenarios for a BCS NCG birth existed as they did in 2011.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

nextlevel

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on January 13, 2014, 04:58:42 am
I knew first hand he was not alone on the bike the day the crash happened, even law enforcement protected petrino as long as they could.  Nobody dared question him about this.

Petrino was asked during the presser he called if he was alone, he lied and said he was.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

olivebranchhog

Quote from: nextlevel on January 13, 2014, 05:37:12 pm
Arkansas was actually playing for the SEC championship 2 years before his arrival. Had they won the same distant scenarios for a BCS NCG birth existed as they did in 2011.

You really believe Nutt was going to win a championship? Having 3 nfl rbs and a bevy of Linemen...and we didn't get it done.  Then you have the 9 wins from 04-05. We only finished above 500 in SEC play 2 times in 8 seasons. That's mediocre football. 

nextlevel

Quote from: olivebranchhog on January 13, 2014, 05:45:43 pm
You really believe Nutt was going to win a championship? Having 3 nfl rbs and a bevy of Linemen...and we didn't get it done.  Then you have the 9 wins from 04-05. We only finished above 500 in SEC play 2 times in 8 seasons. That's mediocre football. 

Petrino never finished higher than 2nd in the west.

That '06 team had the momentum and the lead against Florida before a gaff in special teams play, so yes "that Nutt team" had a shot at winning a championship.

You have no proof, or reasonable logic to conclude, that Petrino would have won a SEC-CG or BSC-NCG had he made it too one at Arkansas, the big games in 2010 and 2011, he lost all of them (Bama x2, Auburn, LSU, Ohio St).

ell oh ell

olivebranchhog

Quote from: nextlevel on January 13, 2014, 05:48:18 pm
Petrino never finished higher than 2nd in the west.

That '06 team had the momentum and the lead against Florida before a gaff in special teams play, so yes "that Nutt team" had a shot at winning a championship.

You have no proof that Petrino would had one a SEC-CG or BSC-NCG had he made it too one at Arkansas, the big games in 2010 and 2011, he lost all of them (Bama x2, Auburn, LSU, Ohio St).

You're the one playing what if.  I just stated exactly what Petrino did at Arkansas. Took a team that couldn't get it done with its best team in a decade and made them respectable.  We were in the hunt for two years with a legitimate shot at a championship.

You're the one equating the 2000-2006 SEC with the conference BP coached against. You may want to look at how bland the SEC was, as a whole, and rethink your comparison.  BP's record at Arkansas indicated that he could win with his own players at Arkansas in the SEC. He didn't win the big games or a championship.... but who else has at Arkansas in 25 years?

nextlevel

Quote from: olivebranchhog on January 13, 2014, 05:54:05 pm
You're the one playing what if.  I just stated exactly what Petrino did at Arkansas. Took a team that couldn't get it done with its best team in a decade and made them respectable.  We were in the hunt for two years with a legitimate shot at a championship.

You're the one equating the 2000-2006 SEC with the conference BP coached against. You may want to look at how bland the SEC was, as a whole, and rethink your comparison.  BP's record at Arkansas indicated that he could win with his own players at Arkansas in the SEC. He didn't win the big games or a championship.... but who else has at Arkansas in 25 years?

I'm not playing "what if", Arkansas played for the SEC Championship in 2006 by winning the SEC-West outright.

The "hope" was Petrino would one day get the program back to that status, he never did. He inherited a team fresh off a cotton bowl, his biggest victory and last game was the cotton bowl...

ell oh ell

olivebranchhog

Quote from: nextlevel on January 13, 2014, 05:57:38 pm
I'm not playing "what if", Arkansas played for the SEC Championship in 2006 by winning the SEC-West outright.

The "hope" was Petrino would one day get the program back to that status, he never did. He inherited a team fresh off a cotton bowl, his biggest victory and last game was the cotton bowl...

You played what if by trying to being up what Petrino would have done.  I didn't make a single statement about what I thought he would do. I only spoke to what he did. 

How much of that cotton bowl team was there for BP? Was Alabama the same team? How about the SEC East? You're saying BP had the exact same team and opportunity as Nutt?

nextlevel

Quote from: olivebranchhog on January 13, 2014, 06:04:16 pm
You played what if by trying to being up what Petrino would have done.  I didn't make a single statement about what I thought he would do. I only spoke to what he did. 

How much of that cotton bowl team was there for BP? Was Alabama the same team? How about the SEC East? You're saying BP had the exact same team and opportunity as Nutt?

How many NFL WRs, QBs, TEs, RBs, O-linemen did he have an never finish higher than 2nd in the west?

He had 3 RBs, 4 WRs, 2 TES, and 2 QBs, which is more of a failure than what Nutt accomplished with only 3 NFL RBs...

ell oh ell

olivebranchhog

Quote from: nextlevel on January 13, 2014, 06:06:52 pm
How many NFL WRs, QBs, TEs, RBs, O-linemen did he have an never finish higher than 2nd in the west?

He had 3 RBs, 4 WRs, 2 TES, and 2 QBs, which is more of a failure than what Nutt accomplished with only 3 NFL RBs...

You didn't answer my questions.  You responded with unrelated questions in an attempt to swing the argument. You want me to be a BP fanatic. I'm not.  He deserved to be fired and clearly wasn't going to win a national championship at UA. But he was a great coach here and he competed in a much tougher version of the conference than Nutt. He had one bad year in transition from a run first offense to a pass first offense.  If you think that's easy then I guess it's pointless to talk to you. 

I compared one team to another.  You compared one team to a 3 year span of teams.  Please stop comparing unlike parts. 

secfan30

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on January 13, 2014, 04:58:42 am
I'm not talking physically, I'm talking verbally.  I know plenty of small guys that can lay an ass whoopin by the way and Vladimir Putin is only 5'7".  Tough questions were not gonna come his way, because you may not be back the next week.  Sports talk radio always has been on the butt kissing side of the razorback coach, you were not one of them though. 

I knew first hand he was not alone on the bike the day the crash happened, even law enforcement protected petrino as long as they could.  Nobody dared question him about this.

Same song different dance with our media.  All hail the coach, he leaves, he was garbage and an [CENSORED].

Being nosey cause that's how I am. How did you know first hand?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: secfan30 on January 13, 2014, 09:58:33 pm
Being nosey cause that's how I am. How did you know first hand?
Yeah, that's interesting. First hand means you were there and you saw JD on the back of Petrino's bike.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 13, 2014, 10:06:41 pm
Yeah, that's interesting. First hand means you were there and you saw JD on the back of Petrino's bike.

Plus, he missed out on a chance to come right here on the home of "I told you so" and achieve Hogville immortality in the eyes of the people who are into that type of thing.  Sure...he knew before everyone else.   ::)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Mike Irwin

From what I recall supposedly the only witnesses to the accident were Petrino and Dorrell. Petrino told the cops that a lady was there right after it happened and she took him to town where he transferred to a car and went to the hospital.

At some point it was determined that an elderly couple had actually taken Petrino and Dorrell back to Fayetteville.

Apparently they had no idea who Petrino was. They also confirmed the presence of Dorrell at the scene.

Later, when the story got out, they said they got death threats.

If true, talk about stumbling into a hornets nest.

board

Some guy supposedly lived across the road, saw it happen and insisted on calling 911..

hoglady

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on January 13, 2014, 10:09:51 am
I was thinking the same thing. The only way Louisville ever makes a 4-team playoff is if they are unbeaten, and there are no one-loss teams with names like Texas, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, Oregon, Stanford, Georgia, Nebraska.........................

Not necessarily.
Louisville will now have to play Florida State and Miami every year. They are all in the same division. A 1 loss ACC champion IF they all 3 are highly ranked could make it. Louisville's schedule gets a whole lot tougher next year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: board on January 13, 2014, 10:24:58 pm
Some guy supposedly lived across the road, saw it happen and insisted on calling 911..

...did he have an LSU flag in his yard?   8)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: IllinoisRazorbackFan on January 12, 2014, 10:24:37 am

You're not very smart, Petrino was already successful in the SEC at Arkansas, a worse program than Louisville.  Louisville has won two BCS bowls, a recent basketball NC and Ar-Kansas' only BCS bowl was because of the coach you're bashing.  Louisville is also significant enough to get a yearly bowl game.  He will without a doubt win at Louisville and have success there, he has everywhere he has gone except the NFL.  Unfortunately, Arkansas is in the worst shape it's ever been football wise, and they only have themselves to blame.

As has been noted & printed for nearly 2 years now......Bobby Petrino was his own worst enemy.  If he had demonstrated self-discipline.....as he demands from his players....he would probably still be coaching at Arkansas.  It wasn't the University of Arkansas that was responsible for his firing.....it was his own doing....as he publicly admitted.  Actions often have consequences.  Good football coach, but has a habit of making bad decisions off the field that effect his career.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

JD Hogg

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 13, 2014, 05:57:17 pm
He was already doing baseball and had built a relationship with the UA for years through that. That played a bigger role than anything he might have said or not said on his talk show.

Then why wasn't he promoted after Paul Eels death?  They had Mike Nail doing play by play for basketball and football for two years after Paul passed if I remember correctly. Then all the Gus Springdale stuff happened and Chuck carried the BAC's water during that time. You may be correct but it smells fishy to me.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: JD Hogg on January 14, 2014, 09:21:38 am
Then why wasn't he promoted after Paul Eels death?  They had Mike Nail doing play by play for basketball and football for two years after Paul passed if I remember correctly. Then all the Gus Springdale stuff happened and Chuck carried the BAC's water during that time. You may be correct but it smells fishy to me.

They were trying to decide if they should hire another local media person part time or hire somebody for that job who would be a university employee. They eventually decided to hire Chuck full time.

They get their money's worth out of him. He works his tail off.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: hoglady on January 13, 2014, 10:31:19 pm
Not necessarily.
Louisville will now have to play Florida State and Miami every year. They are all in the same division. A 1 loss ACC champion IF they all 3 are highly ranked could make it. Louisville's schedule gets a whole lot tougher next year.

Maybe eventually. But I think, at present, Louisville lacks the national "respect", for want of a better word, that Miami, FlaSt, Fla, Bama, OU, Texas, USCw, etc, automatically have.

seasonhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 13, 2014, 10:33:51 am
Did she vote for Bill Clinton? lot's of women did.

good one,FCJ.....all sinners loves to point the finger elsewhere, when they need to look in the mirror.

seasonhog

Quote from: 12247 on January 13, 2014, 07:43:34 am
Some things to consider about Petrino. Hes getting older so the ole sex life is settling down, like it or not.  He is human and therefore really likes or maybe even loves money, so he may cap the ego to obtain more money.  He may really want to win some honors in the coaching faternity and he may realize it takes a defense to do that.  Nearly everyone LOVES a BORN AGAIN story and a non ego speech to a 5 star's Mother about how hes seen the light would smooth over most any recruiting problem.  I predict Petrino will do really well at Louisville because I think he loves money, fame and having a home to come to. 

If all the cheaters who were football coaches were forced to come to a Petrino party, it would take a huge football stadium to handle the crowd.  There would be a bunch of football teams without an asssitant or HC on campus for the length of the party.  Most Moms and Dads fully realize this.

+1

HighTide999

Quote from: mmhogs17 on January 12, 2014, 04:56:15 am
He's a good coach, if you don't mind having cancer 5 years down the road.

He's a builder, not a sustainer.

I trust Saban.  Davis was at Bama Saban's first three years, resume' is rich, including the 2009 NC.  Here we go again - Roll Tide Roll.  House about cleaned up, hold on an watch.  Recommendation for hogs:  try for one conference win.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: board on January 13, 2014, 10:24:58 pm

No one "lived" close to where the accident happened, Jessica flagged down the couple as they drove by the accident, hornets nest, well let's see besides Petrino and Jessica, the man that picked them up was arrested for a outstanding warrant, the Trooper Capt. that took Petrino to the hospital was investigated for accepting gifts and was reprimanded, and finally the Trooper that broke the story committed suicide the next year after a ongoing investigation on him.
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

Pork Twain

Quote from: mmhogs17 on January 12, 2014, 04:56:15 am
He's a good coach, if you don't mind having cancer 5 years down the road.

He's a builder, not a sustainer.
Being a "builder" would imply that he recruits
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

BartIV

coolhog

The sports animal with Pat jones is better then Bo.  The give you insight
into there topics of discussion, while Bo just comes up with a question
for his fans to give their opinions about.
Bo just stirs the pot so people will call.

hog911

Quote from: VT HOG on January 12, 2014, 04:18:38 am
Has anyone else noticed the Arkansas media (Bo Mattingly, 93.3 morning guy, etc.) is now laughing at and slamming Louisville for hiring Petrino because of how terrible he was at Arkansas?

They're saying he was a total jerk, he couldn't recruit, and basically we're better off without him. I don't have a problem with the media having this opinion. It's just ironic because when he was here they couldn't get enough of him.

They'd defend him when callers that were fans of other schools would call in and make the same exact arguments against Petrino that the Arkansas media is making now. I know they don't want to burn bridges with Jeff Long and Bielema, but I just think its funny.

Lil Bo is toeing the "hill" line! When BP was here all he could do is praise him! The State and Local media are afraid to step on Jeff Long's feet! Pathetic!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hog911 on January 15, 2014, 08:58:38 pm
Lil Bo is toeing the "hill" line! When BP was here all he could do is praise him! The State and Local media are afraid to step on Jeff Long's feet! Pathetic!
No, Jeff Long did the right thing. It's all Bobby's fault.

[attachment deleted by admin]

redeye

One thing for certain, the media hates Petrino and not just the Arkansas media.  It's never surprising to see the Arkansas media protect the Arkansas head coach, but I do wish they'd back off the criticism some.  Much of it's deserved, but like with the national media, they're laying it on a little thick.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HighTide999 on January 14, 2014, 03:23:38 pm
I trust Saban.  Davis was at Bama Saban's first three years, resume' is rich, including the 2009 NC.  Here we go again - Roll Tide Roll.  House about cleaned up, hold on an watch.  Recommendation for hogs:  try for one conference win.

Every team has ups and downs, and any halfway intelligent person knows that. Alabama has had them too. Auburn has had them.

We have won the Alabama state championship three times since we joined the SEC. Not too bad for a team that can't win a conference game huh?
This is my non-signature signature.

smb

Once you do something bad, it remains with you especially in the media. BP is his own worse enemy.
GeorgiaHOG

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: smb on January 22, 2014, 08:14:22 am
Once you do something bad, it remains with you especially in the media. BP is his own worse enemy.

Absolutely.

In Arkansas, the media knows that it's an emotional issue and that everyone has an opinion. Especially after last season. Stoke the fire, get people to watch or listen until they don't. They'll stop listening after we A) win 10 games B) someone wins the Heisman or C) they fire BB..... So basically we're gonna hear it for a long time.
This is my non-signature signature.

PonderinHog

Quote from: smb on January 22, 2014, 08:14:22 am
Vengeance is mine, sayeth the media...

DeltaBoy

Let the man coach in Peace he is gone.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

opineonswine

Winning isn't everything.  It's important but selling your soul to the devil is over the top.
Watch the video. Some of you like to ignore the facts.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/24415695/coaching-changes-daily-19-things-we-learned-from-the-coaching-season

hawgsalot

January 22, 2014, 11:08:26 am #99 Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:18:34 pm by hawgsalot
Not real sure what all the fuss is about.  In 3 years here he beat a total of 3 SEC teams that had a winning record in conference.