Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas media vs. Petrino

Started by VT HOG, January 12, 2014, 04:18:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: seasonhog on January 24, 2014, 03:34:35 pm

When Jeff Long switched from coke to pepsi should tell us a lot about Long.

It does.  It shows that if we're going to continue to compete in the SEC, we have to maximize revenue at every turn.  It may seem small, but if you add all of the little things up, it can mean improved facilities and more salary money. 

But...you'd rather drink Coke, which is fine, although it could be viewed as a little selfish.  I can drink a few Pepsi's a year and not complain, but apparently some people can't.  You could drink water at the games and feel good that the guy in charge is doing things that could prevent ticket prices from needing to be hiked as often. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HogFan#1 on January 24, 2014, 04:42:58 pm
I love threads about the media.  Only because Mike comes in here and squanders what people "think" they know. 

Appreciate your insight and knowledge Mike. 

BTW, Mountain Dew is the best thing to ever happen to the University of Arkansas...

Ya know...I had some left over Lime vodka that made its way into RRS somehow last season, and it goes surprisingly well with Mtn. Dew as a matter of fact.   :-X
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 24, 2014, 08:34:56 pm
Or maybe, just maybe, certain things came to light around the time Petrino was fired, things we were not aware of, and most of us changed our opinion of him. I know I did.

Some people still find it hard to believe that all of the slimy things he did were enough to alter the opinion of many fans.  I guess for some it would have needed to be their daughter, or one of the passed over candidates, before it would resonate with them. 

HawgFan70

Quote from: HogFan#1 on January 24, 2014, 05:00:10 pm
What would you have them do? Put some heat lamps on Jeff Long and ask question after question?  There is a fine line between journalism and unprofessionalism, or just down right impolite.

Have you ever listened to press conferences? When things are going bad, real media ask tough questions not sit like a bunch of old maids. They sugar coat everything, its a pathetic excuse because they are all scared they will lose their hospitality room pass
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

seasonhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 24, 2014, 09:52:30 pm
When people start coming forward to tell you the insulting things Bobby Petrino did to them I do think as a reporter you have to pay attention. When most of them are people you've known for years, people you trust, then you tend to believe them especially when so many are telling the same type story.

Bottom line, until he was gone most of them were not going to tell a reporter something like, Petrino issued standing orders in the BAC that non football staffers could not address him in the hallways unless he addressed them first. In other words, no, "How's it going, coach?"

Or a secretary who had to remove her shoes in her office because Petrino said they, "squeaked."

And the guy who volunteered to cater a meal for the players after practice but got stuck in a traffic jam on I-540. He was a few minutes late and says Petrino questioned his character when he tried to explain.

I could go on but this is what's out there.

Why didn't they speak up before? Because Bobby was winning and they figured nobody wanted to hear about such issues.

Look I understand that for those who only want wins and don't care how they get produced this stuff is nothing. But those people aren't the only fans out there. I don't do my job for one segment of the fan base.

The evidence is overwhelming. Petrino is fantastic play caller but he's also an arrogant, self centered jerk who, if he did to most of you what he did to many of his co-workers you'd be singing a different tune.

Most Hogs fans get it. A few don't and they're not changing their minds. So what else is new?

after what the NFL owner's & ESPN did to Bobby maybe he had a reason to behave as he did.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: seasonhog on January 25, 2014, 12:41:18 am

after what the NFL owner's & ESPN did to Bobby maybe he had a reason to behave as he did.

The downfall of the program is all Bobby's fault and a blind man can even see it

Nipsey Mussle

I just don't get why you guys have such trouble letting things go?

I haven't had a bitter or nostalgic feeling about BP since he left. I guess I like focusing on the present and future for some reason.

Kenny Hawgins

Maybe he wasn't hugged enough as a child, either.  Poor Bobby couldn't help it.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

ChitownHawg

There is a post in this thread with a link to a report from a Kentucky reporter. He was doing this stuff at UL the first time around. This is not a guy bent on revenge because the media was critical of him. He simply is a weird dude. A weird dude who can call plays, but weird none the less.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: BBsTheMan on January 25, 2014, 02:10:05 am
I just don't get why you guys have such trouble letting things go?

I haven't had a bitter or nostalgic feeling about BP since he left. I guess I like focusing on the present and future for some reason.

And yet here you are reading / commenting on a thread about BP. Still want to stand by your comment?  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

immahog

Quote from: mmhogs17 on January 12, 2014, 04:56:15 am
He's a good coach, if you don't mind having cancer 5 years down the road.

He's a builder, not a sustainer.

you are on the $$ but I would say he is a GREAT coach
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

immahog

When people start coming forward to tell you the insulting things Bobby Petrino did to them I do think as a reporter you have to pay attention. When most of them are people you've known for years, people you trust, then you tend to believe them especially when so many are telling the same type story.

Bottom line, until he was gone most of them were not going to tell a reporter something like, Petrino issued standing orders in the BAC that non football staffers could not address him in the hallways unless he addressed them first. In other words, no, "How's it going, coach?"

Or a secretary who had to remove her shoes in her office because Petrino said they, "squeaked."

And the guy who volunteered to cater a meal for the players after practice but got stuck in a traffic jam on I-540. He was a few minutes late and says Petrino questioned his character when he tried to explain.

Why didn't they speak up before? Because Bobby was winning and they figured nobody wanted to hear about such issues.

Look I understand that for those who only want wins and don't care how they get produced this stuff is nothing. But those people aren't the only fans out there. I don't do my job for one segment of the fan base.

The evidence is overwhelming. Petrino is fantastic play caller but he's also an arrogant, self centered jerk who, if he did to most of you what he did to many of his co-workers you'd be singing a different tune.

Most Hogs fans get it. A few don't and they're not changing their minds. So what else is new?
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Gonzo

January 25, 2014, 08:09:32 am #162 Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:18:01 am by Gonzo
Quote from: steefhog on January 24, 2014, 08:40:30 pm
This.

I loved having him here too. Until he poo'd on us. And then we discovered he had BEEN poo'ing on us for a while and we just didn't know it.

And then we discovered that most of his staff couldn't coach their way through a traffic signal.

So yeah...my opinion moved a little during all of that.

Thing is...Bobby agrees with those of us who think he did wrong by the Hogs. He agrees so much, he just waved off any legal shot at $18M.

That's a lot of agreement.
Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on January 24, 2014, 08:51:26 pm
Bet none of the Petrino cult touch this with a 10 foot pole.

Speaking of cults about the man, how about the one that can't realize here is a gulf of difference between being wrongfully terminated (lawsuit worthy) and termination not being the only or perhaps even the best option (not lawsuit worthy). Don't recall (doesn't mean they didn't happen) any claims around here that he was wrongfully terminated in a legal sense.  Hilarious that his main detractors' arguments about all this seem to revolve around lawsuits that do not, never did, nor ever will exist. Lol!

Go Hogs!

hogcard1964

Pretty sure everyone realizes he was a jerk.

Are you insinuating that his subsequent firing was brewing or in the works prior to the motorcycle accident?

Wants2Win

The quickest way to ensure you never coach at the collegiate level again is to sue a university. He knew he screwed up and was caught. This is why I think he was here for the long haul....but JL had a career to think about and the rest is history.

Wants2Win

So write what people want to read? People who liked winning in the SEC don't care he was a jerk. We knew that when he was hired...it makes total sense that you are in the media and also the only one who DIDN'T know CBP was a jerk.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 25, 2014, 08:27:15 am

Are you insinuating that his subsequent firing was brewing or in the works prior to the motorcycle accident?

I think that the thing is, if you are a good guy, well liked by those who work for and with you, and you make a major blunder, people around you will go to bat for you to support you in having another chance.

On the other hand, if you are arrogant and treat others with disrespect and make the whole daily process about "you", then you make few friends who are willing to go to bat for you when you screw up.

Aside from those who are committed to "win at all costs", I doubt that anyone who worked around him was sad to see him go. Apparently he conducted daily business like "Sherman's March To The Sea", and burned bridges (and relationships) at a steady rate.

There may have been some just waiting for him to "stub his toe", and he stubbed it big time and then tried to cover it up. Perfect opportunity to issue new parameters of behavior to allow him to stay and if he didn't want to comply, good reason to send him packing. I'm guessing that BP didn't recognize at that point, that Long held all the chips on the table in that situation. BP could have agreed and stayed, but it went against how he normally conducted business and he was after all, "The Bobby Petrino". Surely they wouldn't fire him? Surprise.
Go Hogs Go!

wachhog

"Staff" seldom likes the new boss, especially if they were hired by the old boss.  And it is not infrequent that they stab him in the back te first chance they get.  This is true of business organizations, as well as educational and sports organization. But since "staff" does not win ball games...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: wachhog on January 25, 2014, 10:19:52 am
"Staff" seldom likes the new boss, especially if they were hired by the old boss.  And it is not infrequent that they stab him in the back te first chance they get.  This is true of business organizations, as well as educational and sports organization. But since "staff" does not win ball games...

BP didn't need any help from "staff". He was his own worst enemy.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 25, 2014, 10:19:29 amhe was after all, "The Bobby Petrino". Surely they wouldn't fire him? Surprise.

He even admitted later that he thought JL was bluffing.

goodguytex

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 24, 2014, 08:54:12 pm
Can we please not turn this into yet another rehashing of Petrino's exit?

Instead, let's focus on how Jeff Long uses the Fouke monster to intimidate the media into letting him write all of our copy before we run it.
Scott, how do you know about the Fouke monster?? LOL!!

wachhog

January 25, 2014, 10:45:28 am #171 Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:00:39 am by wachhog
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 25, 2014, 10:19:29 am
I think that the thing is, if you are a good guy, well liked by those who work for and with you, and you make a major blunder, people around you will go to bat for you to support you in having another chance.

On the other hand, if you are arrogant and treat others with disrespect and make the whole daily process about "you", then you make few friends who are willing to go to bat for you when you screw up.

Aside from those who are committed to "win at all costs", I doubt that anyone who worked around him was sad to see him go. Apparently he conducted daily business like "Sherman's March To The Sea", and burned bridges (and relationships) at a steady rate.

There may have been some just waiting for him to "stub his toe", and he stubbed it big time and then tried to cover it up. Perfect opportunity to issue new parameters of behavior to allow him to stay and if he didn't want to comply, good reason to send him packing. I'm guessing that BP didn't recognize at that point, that Long held all the chips on the table in that situation. BP could have agreed and stayed, but it went against how he normally conducted business and he was after all, "The Bobby Petrino". Surely they wouldn't fire him? Surprise.
I think you are probably right.  But, now the shoe is on the other foot.  And, those people who put their own feelings above those of the fans who were enjoying winning deserve all the grief and more that they are currently experiencing. 
Now that I have resigned myself to the Hogs losing, it is fun to watch. A farce and a tragedy all in one drama.
Bureaucrats.  How would we ever do without 'em!

wachhog

And, Mike, unless they somehow manage to turn it around, you know that you soon won't have an audience (except for those staffers you are befriending.)

impact

Not part of the Petrino cult but Nolan showed us how many future jobs you will be offered after you sue your former employer.
Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

PonderinHog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 25, 2014, 10:51:00 am
It hand delivers the most-important company lines the BAC wants the media to toe. He's usually accompanied by all those black panthers the guys in the hunting and fishing forum keep arguing about too.
A good reporter would have pics of these sightings...

wachhog

Quote from: Wants2Win on January 25, 2014, 10:10:54 am
So write what people want to read? People who liked winning in the SEC don't care he was a jerk. We knew that when he was hired...it makes total sense that you are in the media and also the only one who DIDN'T know CBP was a jerk.
This^^^.
When Bobby produces winners at Louisville and we are still stuck in the cellar, I am sure the Arkansas sports writers can be assured of a following if they keep writing about what a jerk Bobby was.  I'll just hide and watch that play out.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: wachhog on January 25, 2014, 10:45:28 am
I think you are probably right.  But, now the shoe is on the other foot.  And, those people who put their own feelings above those of the fans who were enjoying winning deserve all the grief and more that they are currently experiencing. 
Now that o have resigned myself to the Hogs losing, it is fun to watch. A farce and a tragedy all in one drama.

So you are among the "win at all costs" group?
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 24, 2014, 09:43:03 pm
Look, I've said too much as it is.

If anything happens to me, look for Bigfoot tracks, empty Pepsi cans and one of those orange Home Depot buckets. Call Art Bell and explain it to him. Only he can unravel the conspiracy and reveal the truth behind the BAC.

Orange Home Depot buckets are much worse than blue Lowe's buckets. Orange is the worst color for ANYTHING except oranges.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

wachhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 25, 2014, 10:59:10 am
So you are among the "win at all costs" group?
Not at  ALL costs.  But if employees don't like their boss, they can go find another job.  The Hallelujah chorus at  Wal-Mart would probably have welcomed them.

Inhogswetrust

January 25, 2014, 11:08:48 am #179 Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:22:47 am by Inhogswetrust

Perhaps even more believably perhaps he behaved that way BEFORE all that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on January 25, 2014, 02:02:42 am
The downfall of the program is all Bobby's fault and a blind man can even see it

We actually agree on something.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: wachhog on January 25, 2014, 11:04:33 am
Not at  ALL costs.  But if employees don't like their boss, they can go find another job.  The Hallelujah chorus at  Wal-Mart would probably have welcomed them.

Just keep in mind that this is the same man who so ticked off Cotton Bowl officials with his behavior that they said, "Arkansas would never be invited back to the Cotton Bowl as long as he was the HC". That's not the kind of guy that you want representing your program no matter how many games he wins over a two year span.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 25, 2014, 08:27:15 am

There is NOTHING in his post to even come close to inferring that. Why would you even ask that?

PonderinHog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 25, 2014, 11:03:41 am
I did. But then they threatened to revoke my press pass if I showed to anybody.
Will you release the photos after February 1st?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 25, 2014, 10:19:29 am

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! It's the old adage "be careful how you treat people on your way up or when on the top because you may need them on your way down".

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: wachhog on January 25, 2014, 10:19:52 am

Really? THAT depends purely on HOW the new boss acts.

Inhogswetrust

January 25, 2014, 11:18:57 am #186 Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:34:36 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: LedZepHog on January 25, 2014, 10:24:45 am
He even admitted later that he thought JL was bluffing.

That's the thing I don't understand. WHY would ANYBODY rationally think their boss that can hire and fire them bluff them about something that serious.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 25, 2014, 10:51:00 am
It hand delivers the most-important company lines the BAC wants the media to toe. He's usually accompanied by all those black panthers the guys in the hunting and fishing forum keep arguing about too.

Black Panthers? I thought it was an extinct woodpecker.........................................

Wants2Win

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 25, 2014, 11:09:41 am
Just keep in mind that this is the same man who so ticked off Cotton Bowl officials with his behavior that they said, "Arkansas would never be invited back to the Cotton Bowl as long as he was the HC". That's not the kind of guy that you want representing your program no matter how many games he wins over a two year span.
BS. If they have the choice between Arkansas and fewer dollars? Money talks BS walks.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 25, 2014, 11:21:07 am
Black Panthers? I thought it was an extinct woodpecker.........................................
We're talking about real, living creatures here...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 25, 2014, 11:13:51 am
Will you release the photos after February 1st?

Maybe he'll schedule the presser sometime besides 4 PM. I hate pressers at that time.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wants2Win on January 25, 2014, 11:22:59 am
BS. If they have the choice between Arkansas and fewer dollars? Money talks BS walks.

What IF the choices had the same financial impact? Hmmmmmmm.

Lake City Hog

I guess that what amazes me is that we have gone thru this very same scenario with almost every coach that has left Arkansas. If they left on pretty good terms it might take 2 or 3 years, but if things got ugly it started almost immediately.

It just seems to me that media people that dealt with him on a routine basis had to know some things. Was he a jerk to only to people in the BAC? How could all of this been going on and not one member of the press never know it?

Guess what, I work with some jerks every day! Some guys are very moody and I have learned not to waste my time on them. I have one superior in particular that is well known to be the type to throw you under the bus to keep from admitting a mistake. I have to work with him, my job, but I don't have to like him. I am respectful of his position and I do the work that he asks for, but I document EVERYTHING.

Maybe just maybe when the media is aware of something THEY should question it publicly. Maybe that in itself could help to somewhat curb the egos of some of these guys.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 25, 2014, 11:23:22 am
We're talking about real, living creatures here...

But people claim to have seen it! It's alive!

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 25, 2014, 11:18:57 am
That's the thing I don't understand. WHY would ANYBODY rotationally think their boss that can hire and fire them bluff them about something that serious.

It's like MHF was talking about, "I'm THE Bobby Petrino and there's no way in hell they'll even CONSIDER firing me...I'm not just bigger than the program - I AM the program".

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: lchog on January 25, 2014, 11:25:52 am
I guess that what amazes me is that we have gone thru this very same scenario with almost every coach that has left Arkansas. If they left on pretty good terms it might take 2 or 3 years, but if things got ugly it started almost immediately.

It just seems to me that media people that dealt with him on a routine basis had to know some things. Was he a jerk to only to people in the BAC? How could all of this been going on and not one member of the press never know it?

Guess what, I work with some jerks every day! Some guys are very moody and I have learned not to waste my time on them. I have one superior in particular that is well known to be the type to throw you under the bus to keep from admitting a mistake. I have to work with him, my job, but I don't have to like him. I am respectful of his position and I do the work that he asks for, but I document EVERYTHING.

Maybe just maybe when the media is aware of something THEY should question it publicly. Maybe that in itself could help to somewhat curb the egos of some of these guys.

I have a couple of friends in the media well known in Arkansas. I know they have "sat" on information that wasn't important and didn't reveal it at the time only to use it later. Kind of like how you said "document everything". It might come in handy down the road. Also they aren't talking to, walking with, chewing gum with and drinking with the coach 365 days a year. Plus if during press conferences he treats the media fine then what are they suppose to do if others say things about him?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LedZepHog on January 25, 2014, 11:27:35 am
It's like MHF was talking about, "I'm THE Bobby Petrino and there's no way in hell they'll even CONSIDER firing me...I'm not just bigger than the program - I AM the program".

Well it is true some people do have that big of an ego and opinion of themselves.

Dado

Quote from: lchog on January 12, 2014, 12:15:30 pm
My only issue with this is 2 things.
#1. Go back and check out during and after reports by "most" of the Arkansas media on about any coach and you will see a very similar trend. Praise them and everything they do while here, but after they leave it becomes open season. Pretty much a textbook definition of cowardice.

#2. Hogville is pretty darned near the exact same way! Within a month of BB leaving some of the same guys defending him to the hilt will turn on him like he is a dog.

Nailed it and Bo Mattingly is the king of praising people to their facing and talking about them behind their backs

PonderinHog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 25, 2014, 11:49:28 am
It will be a 4 p.m. presser, per standard Hogville rules.

At the Alma Sonic, of course.
Now you've done it.  You are obviously messin' with Sasquatch.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 25, 2014, 11:58:32 am
Shhhhhhhhh! Do you want the Finding Bigfoot people to find me!?! While they claim to be squatching, they are actually a hit squad controlled by the BAC who eliminate people who cause problems.
Mum's the word, Scott.  Mum's the word.  After all, I'm your Huckleberry.